Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to Mariner77, 9 months ago

Dear Robert,

I have found a formula to find effective aperture formula here:

Effective Aperture = Lens Aperture x (1 + Magnification)

There is also magnification calculator here:

http://www.mystd.de/album/calculator/

When I calculate for (Tamron) 90mm focal length, 2.8 f number and 1 meter (about 40 inches) focusuing distance , magnification result is 0.11.

In this case effective aperture=2.8x(1+0.11)=3,10

I am confused how your apperture got f4, because it seems you were not closer than 40 inches acording to your models position.

I may have gotten F4 because I set it there. I'll do a test shortly to see where the values change at various distances.

But I'll tell you that this Tamron 90 VC is a whopper of a lens. For the most part I prefer it to the 85mm 1.8G. But in a light starved space that 1.8 does come in handy as I always want the shutter speed up and the ISO down.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
In reply to tektrader, 9 months ago

tektrader wrote:

Shotcents wrote:.

CA issues with the 85mm are real, but do vary with samples. I think mine does pretty well, but my new 50mm 1.8G has loads of it.

Robert

The Nikon 85 f1.8 I had was rabid with LOCA, So much so I couldn't live with it. Appaling, I was super surprised given the A+++++ rating most people gave it. Couldn't wait to see the back end of it.

Does anyone have samples of the CA?  How bad is it?  Does the CA removal tool in Lightroom fix it?

Recent dad here, thinking of getting this lens to put on my D800.  I don't have a 70-200, but I do have a 105VR and 50/1.8, I think adding an 85/1.8 would be great for shots of the kids, especially indoors.

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 9 months ago

Well, my experience and conclusions certainly differ. D800 body.

I haven't used the Tamron 90mm VC Macro.  I would not be surprised if it was a great alternative....has VC, which is certainly welcomed.

$2,400: I own the 70-200 VR2. Great zoom. Way too intimidating...pointing a bazooka at people doesn't get "natural" expressions, etc. unless being a voyeur. f2.8 is a bit too slow for *me* and *arguably* needs to be stopped down to f4 for better resolution.

$500: 85 f1.8G...stellar. None of the CA some speak of here. Better at f2 than the 85 f1.4G. Light weight, non-intimidating, etc.

$1,800: If the situation is conducive, I prefer the Zeiss 100 f2.

$5,000: If working with a professional model, I prefer the Nikon 200 f2. Otherwise, talk about intimidating!

Factor in the price? Nikon 85f1.8G by a mile.

See comments by Ming Thien and Thom Hogan, etc...preferring the 85 f1.8G over the f1.4G regardless of price.

I'm waiting for Zeiss to release their new uber 85mm next year...we'll see.

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Kali108, 9 months ago

Kali108 wrote:

I haven't used the Tamron 90mm VC Macro. I would not be surprised if it was a great alternative....has VC, which is certainly welcomed.

$2,400: I own the 70-200 VR2. Great zoom. Way too intimidating...pointing a bazooka at people doesn't get "natural" expressions, etc. unless being a voyeur. f2.8 is a bit too slow for *me* and *arguably* needs to be stopped down to f4 for better resolution.

F4? A good and properly tuned copy of the 70-200 VRII should be tack-sharp at 2.8. So you're right; I do argue that one. This is lens renowned for being sharp at 2.8. Take the hood off and it's not really all that big. My feeling is that pretty much ANY DSLR has an intimidation factor in this world of Point & Shoots and camera phones.

$500: 85 f1.8G...stellar. None of the CA some speak of here. Better at f2 than the 85 f1.4G. Light weight, non-intimidating, etc.

A great lens indeed. I have no complaints and no CA to speak of.

The Zeiss is a sweet optic, but for event and and candid portraits it's a poor tool. I can see better application for it in a studio setting.

$5,000: If working with a professional model, I prefer the Nikon 200 f2. Otherwise, talk about intimidating!

That's a KO lens! I've tried it and certainly seen the results. But again, not a typical portrait tool for most shooters.

With the rebate I got the Tamron for 650.00. For 150.00 more I have a lens that's a bit slower, but capable of even better bokeh and sharpness and it has VC and top-tier macro. I think it's a tie!

See comments by Ming Thien and Thom Hogan, etc...preferring the 85 f1.8G over the f1.4G regardless of price.

Yeah...many people prefer the 1.8G and I'm among them. I just don't like the 1.4G wide open. It does wield superior bokeh.

They better hurry. Sigma is likely working on a new 85mm 1.4 or 1.2 ART lens. And if it's anything like the current 35 1.4 Zeiss and Nikon will be having a tough time.

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to mothergoose, 9 months ago

mothergoose wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I like Zeiss, but the MF makes it less than practical for me as I do a lot of candid work. I have no idea why they don't add AF to their lenses at this point.

Robert

Exactly, why don't they have auto-focus? I just bought the Zeiss APO Sonnar 135mm F2 and it's phenomenal--better than their 21mm, but manual focus can cripple you at times. It's hit and miss with anything moving. It's worth the wasted shots, but only if you have the time.

Hi!

I agree!

I was at an outdoor event taking portrait type pictures last weekend with a 200VR.

I had the 135 Zeiss in the car trunk, and thought about using it as it would have been a more useful focal length, a lot lighter, and the quality is within spitting distance of the 200VR.

But the idea of trying to get shots with relatively thin DOF of folks moving, and the lack of VR for shots in the shady areas, kept me using the 200VR.

But boy, my back would've felt better with the 135 f/2 Zeiss than it  did after a half day of lugging the 200VR around!

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/160s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso320

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

1/1000s f/2.2 at 200.0mm iso800

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to RBFresno, 9 months ago

RBFresno wrote:

mothergoose wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I like Zeiss, but the MF makes it less than practical for me as I do a lot of candid work. I have no idea why they don't add AF to their lenses at this point.

Robert

Exactly, why don't they have auto-focus? I just bought the Zeiss APO Sonnar 135mm F2 and it's phenomenal--better than their 21mm, but manual focus can cripple you at times. It's hit and miss with anything moving. It's worth the wasted shots, but only if you have the time.

Hi!

I agree!

I was at an outdoor event taking portrait type pictures last weekend with a 200VR.

I had the 135 Zeiss in the car trunk, and thought about using it as it would have been a more useful focal length, a lot lighter, and the quality is within spitting distance of the 200VR.

But the idea of trying to get shots with relatively thin DOF of folks moving, and the lack of VR for shots in the shady areas, kept me using the 200VR.

But boy, my back would've felt better with the 135 f/2 Zeiss than it did after a half day of lugging the 200VR around!

1/160s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso320

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

1/1000s f/2.2 at 200.0mm iso800

Best Regards,

RB

Nice shots...especially the first two!

Robert

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

With the rebate I got the Tamron for 650.00. For 150.00 more I have a lens that's a bit slower, but capable of even better bokeh and sharpness and it has VC and top-tier macro. I think it's a tie!

Yes, but this varies. I rarely use the 85mm at apertures above f/2.2 and very often at f/1.8-f/2.2. The Tamron 90mm would simply not have it. I shoot macro almost always slowly with a tripod. So for me a 90mm f/2.8 wouldn't be so useful other than as a macro so...

Is the new VC model significantly better than the previous non-VC model for macro?

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to clarnibass, 9 months ago

clarnibass wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Yes, but this varies. I rarely use the 85mm at apertures above f/2.2 and very often at f/1.8-f/2.2. The Tamron 90mm would simply not have it. I shoot macro almost always slowly with a tripod. So for me a 90mm f/2.8 wouldn't be so useful other than as a macro so...

Is the new VC model significantly better than the previous non-VC model for macro?

There's no arguing the 1.8 constant. That's the reason why I'll keep it! The 1.8G is a world class lens.

As for the Tamron: It's sharper, focuses much closer, has a bit more reach, has VC, bokeh is probably better (still looking!), and the AF is very fast and more acurate. It's a different tool, but it can do a lot of what the 1.8G can do and some of it clearly better due to close focus and VC.

As a macro it's superior to the 105vr and on par with the Sigma 150. The close focus, macro and detail are wonderful...note that these are handheld with moving subjects (including the plant!)...so the sharpness potential is even higher. Also note the bokeh behind the child's head, only possible at this distance of course.

Seems like a slick lens! But, like I said, it is a different tool to some degree.

Robert

clarnibass
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

As for the Tamron: It's sharper, focuses much closer, has a bit more reach, has VC, bokeh is probably better (still looking!), and the AF is very fast and more acurate. It's a different tool, but it can do a lot of what the 1.8G can do and some of it clearly better due to close focus and VC.

All nice advantages but the slow f/2.8 aperture kills it for me for any non-macro use. I found that the f/1.8 aperture is exactly the right one for me. The f/1.4 lenses are not worth their price to me, a poor value. The f/2.8 lenses are far too slow for what I want.

Do you know how this lens (the Tamron 90mm VC) compares with the previous non-VC Tamron 90mm macro lens, when both on a tripod? Is the macro sharpness/resolution signficiantly better? I'm specifically interested to know about any advantage it might have in this type of comparison. The VC, non-extending focus, etc. are all nice things that won't be useful to me at all when shooting slowly on a tripod. If it's significantly better, I'll consider it.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,310Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the comparison.

My sample size is much more limited, but I agree.  I've tried other options, but keep returning to the 70-200 f2.8 VRII.

-- hide signature --

Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 9 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

Thanks for the comparison.

My sample size is much more limited, but I agree. I've tried other options, but keep returning to the 70-200 f2.8 VRII.

-- hide signature --

Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

Yes, for any type of event or candids I usually stick with the 70-200 VRII, You really can't beat it for getting shot after shot when things are moving. That's why it leaps ahead of my primes in overall practical use.

Robert

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to clarnibass, 9 months ago

clarnibass wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

All nice advantages but the slow f/2.8 aperture kills it for me for any non-macro use. I found that the f/1.8 aperture is exactly the right one for me. The f/1.4 lenses are not worth their price to me, a poor value. The f/2.8 lenses are far too slow for what I want.

Do you know how this lens (the Tamron 90mm VC) compares with the previous non-VC Tamron 90mm macro lens, when both on a tripod? Is the macro sharpness/resolution signficiantly better? I'm specifically interested to know about any advantage it might have in this type of comparison. The VC, non-extending focus, etc. are all nice things that won't be useful to me at all when shooting slowly on a tripod. If it's significantly better, I'll consider it.

I owned the Tamron 90 DI 2.8, Nikon 105vr, Tamron 180 Macro, Nikon 105 Micro.

The new Tamron is superior in sharpness to all of them. Only the Sigma 150 rivals it.

But I'm curious, what are you shooting that makes 2.8 pro glass too slow? I also own faster primes, but they have their limitations as well, which is why I also own a lens like the 70-200 VRII.

Robert

tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kali108, 9 months ago

Kali108 wrote:

Here's why I sent my 85 1.8 back. Not that good a photo. But the focus point roughly on the front edge of the saw horse. Look at the top left side. The LOCA is awful Green edges everywhere. IMO unacceptable. Needs to be an APO style lens to fix this.

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II +5 more
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259Gear list
Like?

On a side note, whats the story w current D800's ? I returned my first one after 3 days (6/12) w terrible left side. I'm ready for another go @ 36mp, is the coast clear ?

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Shotcents
Like?

tektrader wrote:

Kali108 wrote:

Here's why I sent my 85 1.8 back. Not that good a photo. But the focus point roughly on the front edge of the saw horse. Look at the top left side. The LOCA is awful Green edges everywhere. IMO unacceptable. Needs to be an APO style lens to fix this.

That is a bad copy of the lens. Mine does not behave like that. It happens.

Robert

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, 9 months ago

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

On a side note, whats the story w current D800's ? I returned my first one after 3 days (6/12) w terrible left side. I'm ready for another go @ 36mp, is the coast clear ?

I would hope so, but you never know. I have a fairly early copy of the D800. Mine had a bit of the left AF point issue, but it really didn't effect anything. What DID effect things was the repeatable focus errors on good targets, usually with fast glass and on a tripod. The firmware solved that issue and I've been happy with the D800 ever since.

But when I finally move up to a D900 (or whatever) I'll likely look back on the D800, along with many others, as a troubled camera release for Nikon.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

Robert

clarnibass
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

But I'm curious, what are you shooting that makes 2.8 pro glass too slow? I also own faster primes, but they have their limitations as well, which is why I also own a lens like the 70-200 VRII.

I guess I'll try to compare the non-VC vs. VC myself and see if there's a difference signfiicant enough for me. I just wanted to know there is a difference, or else I woudln't even bother trying the new model.

As far as what I'm shooting, in general I can say it's mostly low light concerts and performances. That doesn't really say much. It's also not that a f/2.8 zoom would be useless to me, it's just that it's slow comapred with f/1.8 lenses. I would crop less so that might compensate for the 1/3 of a stop in ISO (guesstimating). The more than full stop overall would just mean I'd be at ISO 12800 very often, ISO 6400 when I can be on 3200 and ISO 3200 when I can be on 1600. This alone is enough for me to prefer the primes, but their much bigger size and weight is yet another huge disadvantage for me (don't really have a problem carrying them, just really don't like big heavy lenses).

Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

Kali108 wrote:

I haven't used the Tamron 90mm VC Macro. I would not be surprised if it was a great alternative....has VC, which is certainly welcomed.

F4? A good and properly tuned copy of the 70-200 VRII should be tack-sharp at 2.8. So you're right; I do argue that one. This is lens renowned for being sharp at 2.8. Take the hood off and it's not really all that big. My feeling is that pretty much ANY DSLR has an intimidation factor in this world of Point & Shoots and camera phones.

At 2.8, the lens is certainly acceptably sharp for most applications, but compared to what? At f4, it is significantly sharper....just as the Zeiss is sharper stopped down as well...same goes for the Nikon 200 f2.  Not sure what you're trying to say.  All lenses perform better stopped down from their maximum aperture.  The Zeiss 100 f2 is almost  as sharp at f2 as the Nikon zoom at f4.  Zeiss at f4...forget about it.

A great lens indeed. I have no complaints and no CA to speak of.

The Zeiss is a sweet optic, but for event and and candid portraits it's a poor tool. I can see better application for it in a studio setting.

Yep..as I said..."conducive".  It's so good though, I try to make it work even when circumstances aren't so conducive

That's a KO lens! I've tried it and certainly seen the results. But again, not a typical portrait tool for most shooters.

Sure, it's a beast.  Probably selling mine soon for the uber Zeiss lens coming out next year.

Sounds great.  I can't contribute since I haven't even tried the Tammy, where I own the other lenses.

Yeah...many people prefer the 1.8G and I'm among them. I just don't like the 1.4G wide open. It does wield superior bokeh.

They better hurry. Sigma is likely working on a new 85mm 1.4 or 1.2 ART lens. And if it's anything like the current 35 1.4 Zeiss and Nikon will be having a tough time.

While I agree, the Sigma "Art" lenses look extremely promising...initial impressions from the uber Zeiss line appear to set a new standard in performance...with a price to match.

Robert

PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?

tektrader wrote:

Good post Robert, ")

Your results mirror mine with regards the 70-200 and the Nikon 85mm 1,8. I also had the Samyang 85mm 1.4 as well.

The Nikon 85mm for me was underwhelming, poor chromatic aberration performance and inaccurate auto focus, The Samyang had more character and way better Bokeh. It also just had Something as regards colour that was very nice.

But at the end of the day the 70-200 was very very good in terms of sharpness really wasnt any worse than the other 2 even when used at F2.8.

I sent the 2 primes back and kept the zoom. I have been thinking a Zeiss may be on the horizon for portraits.

Maybe you got a bad copy?  I just picked up the 85mm f/1.8G and it's working great on my D800.  I don't see any significant CA, it focuses well (accurate but not terribly fast), images are very sharp with great bokeh.  A good buy for $500.

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to PhotoKaz, 9 months ago

Okay....first of all. The 70-200 VRII is TACK SHARP wide open. There is VERY little difference at F4. You need a good copy and it should be carefully AF tuned if you're looking for every bit of resolution the lens is capable of.

Let's compare the 70-200 VRII wide open at 2.8 at 200mm vs. the 85mm G lens at 2.8 and the Tamron 90 VC Macro which was forced at 3.2. The master shot looked like this....

And the crops (I changed distance to make the framing same-sized)....

My assessment....The Nikon 70-200 VRII wide open at 2.8 has less false color than the 85mm 1.8G.

Since the 85 has no image stablization the VC and VR lenses had a advantage there. In reality the 1.8G is a TINY bit sharper than the 70-200 VRII at 2.8. But I'm posting these crops because there are showing PRACTICAL results, typical of shooting handheld. As I expected, the Tamron 90 VC is best here. Sharpness and color are perfect. The only advantage left for the 85mm is it's considerably superior low light capability.

But I hope this puts to rest any questions about the VRII, which is as sharp as anything wide open for all practical concerns and at 200mm to boot! Yes, the Tamron 90 is sharpest, but it's not enough for any sane person to say the VRII needs to be stopped down to F4. If you believe that then you need to replace your VRII or make adjustments!

Cheers,

Robert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads