Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 9 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

NZ, where I live! Here are the current CF card prices:

CF cards are terribly overpriced in today's market. The high-performance ones even more.

Tell me about it!

Sadly I cannot have my cameras converted to take SD cards instead....!

I can buy a 960Gb SSD for my computer for less than a 128Gb CF card.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, 9 months ago

MisterBG wrote:

I wonder what world you live in that a laptop costs $2000.

How about a $23k laptop?

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-BLACK-3630QM-3-4GHz-Windows/dp/B00B22NWBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1380596113&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 9 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

CF cards are terribly overpriced in today's market. The high-performance ones even more.

Tell me about it!

In OZ you can buy a Lexar Pro 32.0Gb CF 1000x 150mbs AU$289 = NZ$310 and I think B&H is cheaper.

JohnJ

JohnJ851's gear list:JohnJ851's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,778Gear list
Like?

MPA1 wrote:

A professional colleague and I were having a conversation yesterday.

He is off to shoot in Burma in a few weeks and I recently spent 10 weeks shooting in SE Asia.

We were discussing image storage when on the road and what a PITA carrying computers is.

We wondered why, given that a digital camera is basically a computer with a lens on it, it is still not possible to just connect a portable hard drive direct to the camera and download your images to one or more drives when working in the field, enabling you to leave your expensive and cumbersome laptop at home.

Can that be done? I don't believe so, but it seems a fairly obvious thing we ought to be able to do.

There are deviceas out there. I think the main hurdle is that most protable hard drives are sold as hardware, with very little software involvment from the manufacturer. To be able top connect the camera directly to the camera you would need some type of operating system and software that would allow the HDD to recognize the camera. This means that hardware companies producing the HDD's now have to become involved in software or contract with someone who would provide the OS ...complicates things massively on their end.

...didn't read the replies, but there are some direct connect HDD's out there.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnJ851, 9 months ago

JohnJ851 wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

Tell me about it!

In OZ you can buy a Lexar Pro 32.0Gb CF 1000x 150mbs AU$289 = NZ$310 and I think B&H is cheaper.

JohnJ

NZ$445 here. I'd need 10 if I was not backing up elsewhere and so had 2 cards the same (assuming all my cameras have 2 card slots in future) so just $4,450 worth of cards...!

abelits
Contributing MemberPosts: 675Gear list
Like?

There is one problem -- how to power the drive when it is attached to the camera or this transfer device. If you add batteries, you end up with a size of a small netbook. If you add an AC adapter without a battery, you will earn eternal scorn of all Starbucks customers everywhere.

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +10 more
hjulenissen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593
Like?

MPA1 wrote:

However a laptop costs $2000 and is a reason to mug you or steal from your baggage. A hard drive is of little interest to most thieves.

A simple "Copy to attached drive" command to dump the card contents to a portable USB drive would be relatively simple and cheap as a solution.

Three 2Tb mil spec drives would be far cheaper and you be fairly unlikely to fill 2Tb with any camera under 20Mp in the sort of time most people travel.

Did I hear "mil spec" and "cheap" in the same sentence?

The cameras having two card slots... can they copy the contents of one card over to the other? In that case, you could bring a 1Tb or so of compact flash cards, and do in-camera backup every evening.

Out of interest: how many images do you typically/worst-case take on a trip before returning to a computer? How many of those are keepers? Is it possible to delete the non-keepers every evening (I like to, as that makes me see what I did wrong while still remembering what I did).

-h

rodskogj
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?

MPA1 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

I'd not take any chances with transferring the images through a computer or otherwise Work out how many photos you think you'll be taking and buy enough memory cards for the job. Store them in waterproof wallet and transfer them when you get home.

Best answer ever!

a) Cards fail. Who wouldn't back them up?!

b) My last 10 week trip resulted in 8,976 RAW files. The number of compact flash cards required to hold two copies of that lot would have cost more than several Macbook Airs in New Zealand! A single 32Gb card holds about 900 NEF files from a D3s (probably half that or less from a D800) and costs $500 here.

So I'd need 10 cards at $500 each which is $5000 as well as a complete second set for backups!

I could buy a new D4 and have $2500 change for that!!

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380630003&sr=1-1&keywords=sd+cf

and 5 of these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Memory-SF64UY-TQMN/dp/B00B7ID9CU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380630201&sr=1-2&keywords=sd+memory+card+64

Will set you back ~$250 for single copy or $500 with backup onto brand name Sony cards.  Transfer speeds are probably lower due to the adaptor so ,may not work if you need high speed bursts shots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads