DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?

Started 10 months ago | Polls
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
10 months ago

DSLR USERS ONLY, please (because I suspect that the answers will differ between formats). Other people are welcome to set up similar/identical polls for other formats.

How many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?

How to calculate this number:

1) If you only currently use DSLR bodies with one mount-type/format, this is easy:

y = the number of different lenses that you currently have (whether bought new or secondhand, or before or after you bought you first DSLR) that you can use on your DSLRs.

y is the number to enter in the poll.

e.g. for me, I currently have 5 lenses that I can use on one mount-type/format (Nikon F mount, crop-frame), so y = 5, and I chose the option ‘>2 – 5’

NB: The number of different bodies that you have of the same mount-type/format that you currently have (I have three, a D90 and two D3100’s) does not matter, because each of the lenses could be used on each of the cameras.

2) If you currently use DSLRs with more than one mount-type/format (eg Nikon and Canon full-frame, or crop-frame and full-frame) then:

a) For each mount-type/format (e.g. 4 different mount-type/formats if you have both crop- and full-frame formats in Nikon and Canon DSLRs: crop-Nikon, full-Nikon, crop-Canon, full-Canon), Count up the number of different lenses that you currently have (whether bought new or secondhand, or before or after you bought you first DSLR) that you can use on THAT format (including by virtue of an adapter). This number is z.
NB: lenses that can be used on several mount-type/formats should be included in the counts for EACH of those mount-type/formats.

b) Calculate the average of z. (Add up all the individual z values, then divide by the number of z values). Enter the average of z in the poll.

e.g. I currently have 5 Nikon lenses, of which 2 are FX (full-frame), but I only have DX (crop-frame) cameras, so the number I enter in the poll is 5 (see (1) above). However, I am about to buy an FX camera and three more FX lenses, so then I will have bodies of two different mount-type/formats (ie DX and FX), and 3 DX and 5 FX lenses. Then, for DX bodies the value of z will be 8 (because I will be able to use both DX and FX lenses on DX bodies), and for FX bodies the value of z will be 5 (because I will only be able to use the 5 FX lenses). My average value of z will be 6.5 (= (8 + 5)/2).

I have also posted a poll about how many lenses/ camera you have bought. It would be nice if you would also complete the other poll, if you have not already done so.

For more explanation of the two polls, see the thread “Why are so few lenses bought per DSLR?”

POLL
<1
1.1% 1  vote
1
3.2% 3  votes
>1 to 2
1.1% 1  vote
>2 to 5
40.0% 38  votes
>5 to 10
28.4% 27  votes
>10 to 20
16.8% 16  votes
>20
9.5% 9  votes
  Show results
klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
Another worthless one..
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

merops wrote:

DSLR USERS ONLY, please (because I suspect that the answers will differ between formats). Other people are welcome to set up similar/identical polls for other formats.

How many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?

How to calculate this number:

1) If you only currently use DSLR bodies with one mount-type/format, this is easy:

y = the number of different lenses that you currently have (whether bought new or secondhand, or before or after you bought you first DSLR) that you can use on your DSLRs.

y is the number to enter in the poll.

e.g. for me, I currently have 5 lenses that I can use on one mount-type/format (Nikon F mount, crop-frame), so y = 5, and I chose the option ‘>2 – 5’

NB: The number of different bodies that you have of the same mount-type/format that you currently have (I have three, a D90 and two D3100’s) does not matter, because each of the lenses could be used on each of the cameras.

2) If you currently use DSLRs with more than one mount-type/format (eg Nikon and Canon full-frame, or crop-frame and full-frame) then:

a) For each mount-type/format (e.g. 4 different mount-type/formats if you have both crop- and full-frame formats in Nikon and Canon DSLRs: crop-Nikon, full-Nikon, crop-Canon, full-Canon), Count up the number of different lenses that you currently have (whether bought new or secondhand, or before or after you bought you first DSLR) that you can use on THAT format (including by virtue of an adapter). This number is z.
NB: lenses that can be used on several mount-type/formats should be included in the counts for EACH of those mount-type/formats.

b) Calculate the average of z. (Add up all the individual z values, then divide by the number of z values). Enter the average of z in the poll.

e.g. I currently have 5 Nikon lenses, of which 2 are FX (full-frame), but I only have DX (crop-frame) cameras, so the number I enter in the poll is 5 (see (1) above). However, I am about to buy an FX camera and three more FX lenses, so then I will have bodies of two different mount-type/formats (ie DX and FX), and 3 DX and 5 FX lenses. Then, for DX bodies the value of z will be 8 (because I will be able to use both DX and FX lenses on DX bodies), and for FX bodies the value of z will be 5 (because I will only be able to use the 5 FX lenses). My average value of z will be 6.5 (= (8 + 5)/2).

I have also posted a poll about how many lenses/ camera you have bought. It would be nice if you would also complete the other poll, if you have not already done so.

For more explanation of the two polls, see the thread “Why are so few lenses bought per DSLR?”.

 klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Re: Another worthless one..
In reply to klauspauk, 10 months ago

klauspauk wrote:

merops wrote:

Well worthless to you, but not to me. I wanted to know the difference to the answers to the two poll questions. Please feel free to ignore my posts.

In peace,
merops

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raymond Cho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

I (now) have 2 DX lenses now and 6 FX equiv lenses but they are all the older ones ie AF-D.

In the past - I have sold a no. of my lenses.  18-200mm Nikon and 18-70mm Nikon and a crap Tamron 28-105 2.8 that was practically given to me with a used dSLR (D2h), I have also sold that too don't do sports etc.  I am more practical.  Sell it if I don't use it and I can earn interest too with it @5% now where I am.  The more stuff I have the more space it takes and more chance of breaking down and more time I need to manage / clean / and think about them before I choose my lenses to use.

I have thought about selling my remaining 2x DX - Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 35 but haven't.  Theory is I have a D600 anyway right.  All the above pros - money in bank, less space take up, earns interest, streamline my setup, less thinking about / clean / les stuff that may break down.

I think that many people may only need 3x zooms and don't need to think of primes.

For me.  If I ignore DX.  I have a wide zoom for scapes slow aperture, a old 35-70 2.8 b/c I am cheap this is for my family and friends but I have found out it is not wide enough for groups but anyhoo least I don't do it enough, maybe in the future I can pick up a used 24-70 might as well get that over the 28-70 once a newer one is released.  I mean I doubt we would get a 22-70 but hey who knows.  I also have a 80-200 slow aperture b/c I shoot scapes on tripod etc.  And Galen Rowell have used it, not the best but good enough.  I then have a 50 and a 85 both 1.8 and a recent Tamron macro.  Each time I would only take 2 lenses out with me.  Holiday overseas a wide zoom and a fast prime.  Make do.  Than be unhappy with my load.  I thought about a 180 2.8 but I am not sure if I would use that much, if I I was travelling the country here with a car I may just use a wide zoom and a tele zoom and do the scapes on a tripod which is mainly what I shoot anyway.  The primes are just to supplement a zoom on travel low light and to travel light.  For reasons I don't want to own a 2.8 wide zoom even if it is better.

But I am looking at getting into medium format film anyway b/c I shoot few images and always on a tripod and slide film just look amazing without the Photoshop.  I am quite happy to think and think and decide on 12 frames per day, I usually shoot 50 per day on digital or half that with a 35mm film camera.  I can then use my 2 or 3 primes that I will ever own and that's it.  To me it's just a hobby - either I print the few or I would leave on my computer, send them to Facebook or Flickr, if I lose the shot doesn't really matter, it's a hobby enjoyment.  With my Nikon lenses so far - I have probably spent no more than $1200US on them.  Ex. the DX.  Hate to think how much the new range could cost, just the 24-70 new cost $1900, wow.

 Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raymond Cho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to Raymond Cho, 10 months ago

Also sold a 80-200 2.8 b/c I am cheap, I thought I could get the non VR and b/c I don't do sports - a lens for under half price to the 70-200 2.8 VR (first) at the time.  it didn't focus correctly with the D2h and D70, not sure about the D600.  I did send it for focus check but came back within tolerance.  I got in HK and sold it here so broke even.  I also had 2x D70, one bought used later, sold it made a small profit.  Didn't need so much stuff lying around esp duplication for simply a hobby.  Haven't replaced it yet - since I shoot so slowly I could do with a 180 2.8 but not sure if I use that much, not done so yet.

 Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,933Gear list
Like?
I'm one short, does that count ?
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

sweating a small 20mm walk-around for APS-C.
Minolta has the 20mm 2.8, but I'ld much rather a compact walk-around
and would be happy for it to be  F4 to get the size reduction.

 Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Re: I'm one short, does that count ?
In reply to Ron Poelman, 10 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

sweating a small 20mm walk-around for APS-C.
Minolta has the 20mm 2.8, but I'ld much rather a compact walk-around
and would be happy for it to be F4 to get the size reduction.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here? If you mean that you have one fewer lenses than camera bodies, that's not the question I'm asking. You may need to read through the OP, or else post more detail of what lenses/cameras you have, and I will tell you what number you should be voting

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,933Gear list
Like?
Perhaps if you explained the real point to your poll,
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

I might not have lost focus and strayed so far into left field ?
Every bit of maths in your hamster obstacle course of a poll,
just evaporates with the purchase or sale of a body,
or even worse, a cross-brand adapter;
both are common and unpredictable events.
So what on earth are we trying to establish ?

p.s. There is only one limit on lens purchases, cost,
has someone changed the rules ?

 Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Re: Perhaps if you explained the real point to your poll,
In reply to Ron Poelman, 10 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

I might not have lost focus and strayed so far into left field ?
Every bit of maths in your hamster obstacle course of a poll,
just evaporates with the purchase or sale of a body,
or even worse, a cross-brand adapter;
both are common and unpredictable events.
So what on earth are we trying to establish ?

p.s. There is only one limit on lens purchases, cost,
has someone changed the rules ?

The real point of the polls was this: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52242320

I fell foul of DPR not allowing more than one poll question in a post (so I had to separate the two polls), and unreasonable expectations (by me) of how carefully people would read the poll text. I allowed my curiosity about how different lenses/camera bought and lenses/camera available to use are in general (my values are 1.6 and 5 - how different are other people's values?) to nevertheless try and get an answer to the question.

I agree with your comment that your answers would be changed by purchase or sale of equipment etc, but the answers that a give respondent would give to many surveys would vary through time. This doesn't necessarily invalidate the results of the survey.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

Somewhere around 100, I'm not sure exactly. I don't really keep count.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pforsell
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
22 lenses (+6 with adapter)
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

22 F-mount lenses; all quite fast (my slowest lens is f/2.8) and ranging from 14 mm to 300 mm. I also have half a dozen Leica lenses for my M6 (M42 and M-bayonet) that I regularly use with Nikon bodies.

 pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Leica Digilux 1 Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,823Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

11 for Nikon  13 for Sony  5 for Canon

 puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Nikon D7100 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MediaArchivist
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
9.5?
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

9 full frame lenses, 1 crop sensor lens. So I have 9 available for my a99 and 10 for my a77, thus 9.5... right?

I have a Lensbaby body (ComposerPro) and two optics (Sweet35 & Edge80). Do they could as one lens or two (or one and a half)?

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

 MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 10 months ago

First, thanks for posting your two polls.

Digital has opened up a world of exploration, as I no longer have to worry about film and processing costs. Not only can I try different combinations of settings, but over time have acquired lenses from 15mm to 800mm as my interests widen and I try new subjects. Thus, the lens I most frequently use totally depends on the subject and environment.

Wildlife and BIF call for lenses from 200-800mm. My "walking around lens" is actually two: a 24-70mm on one body and a 70-300mm on a second body. Yes, I carry two bodies on many occasions. First, to have the right perspective readily available, second to avoid fumbling around changing lenses, and third to avoid movement that scares wildlife that may appear close or far..

Catching the "landscape bug" (and vacationing in Italy) inspired me to add the 17-40, although now I most frequently create panoramas by stitching shots made with a short telephoto.

Commercial and industrial projects led to acquisition of a 24TSE II, and a 45TSE is next on the list.

I also acquired a 135mm soft focus lens when engaged to do portraits of mature women and young children. Clients were sometimes turned off by overly sharp images.

For me, bodies come and go, but lenses are the heart of photography.

 harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
2 ...but
In reply to merops, 9 months ago

I don't own an SLR, so does that count. Ha.

 happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevie wonder
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 9 months ago

1dx , 5d3 and 25 l lenses

 stevie wonder's gear list:stevie wonder's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keto
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 9 months ago

One. I don't care about having a lot of lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
In reply to merops, 9 months ago

One DSLR (Canon T4i) with 4 lenses (fewest number of lenses since 2007 when I hit 9...STUPID!!!).

 Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 650D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,577
Like?
It is worthless.
In reply to merops, 9 months ago

merops wrote:

klauspauk wrote:

merops wrote:

Well worthless to you, but not to me. I wanted to know the difference to the answers to the two poll questions. Please feel free to ignore my posts.

In peace,
merops

My eyes glazed over when you started to get into multiple mount and APSc vs FF.

You should have just asked how many lenses you have and how many cameras and allow two choices. You could average the number of lenses to camera bodies.

The problem with this is that many people at DPR are gear hounds and buy more lenses than the average consumer who does not post here and has one body and only one lens

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads