GX7 is already $100 off at adorama

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 is already $100 off at adorama
In reply to Laszlo13, Sep 29, 2013

Most stores make so little money on the camera that any significant discounts lose money for the retailer. I heard that it was single digit %.
Where the retailers make their money is on the lenses and accessories.

Basically the cameras are subsidised by the accessories which is why batteries, filters, lens hoods, eyecups etc cost so much

The discounted prices for cameras only occur if the retailer wants to cut its losses and get some money for stock in the warehouse that isn't moving, or the manufacturer/distributor has a price cut and sells them to the retailer at a discount mid way through the camera's life.

This particular discount may have been prompted by the distributor cutting the price of the camera due to the exchange rate changing.

A similar thing happens with game platforms and phones that are sold below cost and the money is made on the games / call plan respectively.

Of course the retailers hope for plenty of early adopters as they may be the only sales (on cameras )that the retailer makes a profit on.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917Gear list
Like?
Re: The camera's the same, but the warranty is different - nt
In reply to dougjgreen1, Sep 30, 2013

dougjgreen1 wrote:

miro3 wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

It's disappointing that black isn't available in the US. That was such a stupid decision by Panasonic USA.

yes!

Is the Canadian black version the same as what the US black version would have been?

So, the Canadian warranty is not applicable in the US?

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,123Gear list
Like?
Doesn't appear to be selling well in Japan
In reply to miro3, Sep 30, 2013

miro3 wrote:

for both body only and kit.

Does it mean that there is not enough interest?

BCN rankings show sales are down from the previous week for all GX-7 configurations.  The best selling GX-7 configuration, silver with kit lens, is currently the 93rd best selling DSLR/ILC, which is down from 62nd last week. Black with kit lens is 133rd, down from 71st; silver body only 139th, down from 84th; black body only 181st, down from 87th.

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Re: The camera's the same, but the warranty is different - nt

miro3 wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

miro3 wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

It's disappointing that black isn't available in the US. That was such a stupid decision by Panasonic USA.

yes!

Is the Canadian black version the same as what the US black version would have been?

So, the Canadian warranty is not applicable in the US?

Yes, that is correct

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Should be able to get one cheap pretty soon.
In reply to MichaelKJ, Sep 30, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

miro3 wrote:

BCN rankings show sales are down from the previous week for all GX-7 configurations. The best selling GX-7 configuration, silver with kit lens, is currently the 93rd best selling DSLR/ILC, which is down from 62nd last week. Black with kit lens is 133rd, down from 71st; silver body only 139th, down from 84th; black body only 181st, down from 87th.

Looking forward to buying one for half the intro cost.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
bberg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,540
Like?
Re: Should be able to get one cheap pretty soon.
In reply to dougjgreen1, Sep 30, 2013

dougjgreen1 wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

miro3 wrote:

BCN rankings show sales are down from the previous week for all GX-7 configurations. The best selling GX-7 configuration, silver with kit lens, is currently the 93rd best selling DSLR/ILC, which is down from 62nd last week. Black with kit lens is 133rd, down from 71st; silver body only 139th, down from 84th; black body only 181st, down from 87th.

Is there an English version of that BCN site?  I don't read Japanese

-- hide signature --

Brandon
~Canon 5DIII and Sony RX100~
See my gallery of favorites here:
http://www.brandonbergphotography.com
View my latest Photostream on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_berg_photography/

aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?

It is #1 seller at Amazon among compact cameras

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

aodi's gear list:aodi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
It probably means that the early adopters have been milked...

... and now we see a resonable price. That happens with almost every good beside pork sides.

Good for those who waited.

Cheers

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
yes, most likely
In reply to Olymore, Sep 30, 2013

Olymore wrote:

This particular discount may have been prompted by the distributor cutting the price of the camera due to the exchange rate changing.

This is the most likely explanation. The value of the yen has been falling fairly steadily for many months (which lowers the cost of the camera for the importer -- i.e. Panasonic USA pays less to import the camera into the U.S.).

It's possible that Panasonic USA set the initial price of the camera based on a conservative guess about where the yen/dollar exchange rate would stabilize, knowing that if the yen continued to fall they could offer rebates to the customer or to the retailer and thereby lower the retail price. And the yen has continued to slide, more or less.

There's a lot of rebates out there on cameras right now, from most manufacturers, and the yen devaluation is the explanation for nearly all of them.

Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
the rules did change
In reply to Laszlo13, Sep 30, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

Well I wondered about this. Decades ago, there used to be variance in retailers' prices. I remember B&H, Adorama, etc., being much cheaper than in store prices (and there was a ton of other New York mail order shops that were even cheaper). The something happened in the past 10 years, because we've seen single pricing throughout the US for camera products.

Something did change in the U.S. -- in 2007 the Supreme Court ruled that minimum retail price maintenance agreements were not automatically illegal in the U.S. anymore. The nuances are a little complex, but here's a good NY Times article on the ruling:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/washington/29bizcourt.html?_r=0

In the wake of that ruling, many -- probably most -- camera company subsidiaries in the U.S. have instituted uniform pricing policies, meaning retailers are not allowed to deviate from the manufacturer's suggested price on items that are covered by the policy. (Typically, not every product in the company's lineup is covered.)

Companies in many, many other industries have also established similar uniform pricing policies.

RobertSigmund
Forum ProPosts: 10,432Gear list
Like?
Resale Price Maintenance
In reply to Eamon Hickey, Sep 30, 2013

Eamon Hickey wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

Well I wondered about this. Decades ago, there used to be variance in retailers' prices. I remember B&H, Adorama, etc., being much cheaper than in store prices (and there was a ton of other New York mail order shops that were even cheaper). The something happened in the past 10 years, because we've seen single pricing throughout the US for camera products.

Something did change in the U.S. -- in 2007 the Supreme Court ruled that minimum retail price maintenance agreements were not automatically illegal in the U.S. anymore. The nuances are a little complex, but here's a good NY Times article on the ruling:

In the wake of that ruling, many -- probably most -- camera company subsidiaries in the U.S. have instituted uniform pricing policies, meaning retailers are not allowed to deviate from the manufacturer's suggested price on items that are covered by the policy. (Typically, not every product in the company's lineup is covered.)

Companies in many, many other industries have also established similar uniform pricing policies.

Is illiegal in Germany for most, but not all goods and services (exceptions for example: books and cabs).

It seems that in the USA, since http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leegin_Creative_Leather_Products,_Inc._v._PSKS,_Inc.

it is indeed legal again provided that there is competition in another way then via prices.

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
Mike Chinander
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Re: It probably means that the early adopters have been milked...
In reply to Joerg V, Sep 30, 2013

Joerg V wrote:

... and now we see a resonable price. That happens with almost every good beside pork sides.

Good for those who waited.

Cheers

Joerg

A quick online chat with an Amazon customer service rep. and I received a $100 refund on my GX7 pre-order.

Mike Chinander's gear list:Mike Chinander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
freeheels
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: the rules did change
In reply to Eamon Hickey, Sep 30, 2013

Eamon Hickey wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

Actually, it is "minimum advertised price" (MAP). This is in response to aggressive internet discounting causing havoc amongst brick an mortar stores. Stores are free to list above the MAP price, but not below it. The way the search engines work on the internet, large (and aggressive)retailers have to stick to this to compete. I suspect the discount came from panasonic lowering the MAP and maybe discounting the wholesale a bit.

It is not price fixing, but establishing a bottom price that everybody rushes to to compete

freeheels's gear list:freeheels's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
MichaelKJ
Like?
Re: Should be able to get one cheap pretty soon.
In reply to bberg, Sep 30, 2013

bberg wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

miro3 wrote:

Is there an English version of that BCN site? I don't read Japanese

Not that I know of. I use the Google Chrome browser and set it to automatically translate websites that aren't in English.

MichaelKJ
Like?
Re: the rules did change
In reply to freeheels, Sep 30, 2013

freeheels wrote:

Eamon Hickey wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

Actually, it is "minimum advertised price" (MAP). This is in response to aggressive internet discounting causing havoc amongst brick an mortar stores. Stores are free to list above the MAP price, but not below it. The way the search engines work on the internet, large (and aggressive)retailers have to stick to this to compete. I suspect the discount came from panasonic lowering the MAP and maybe discounting the wholesale a bit.

It is not price fixing, but establishing a bottom price that everybody rushes to to compete

Apple and other companies with the clout to do so set prices through two tactics: 1) a tiny wholesale discount to retailers, and 2) giving substantial monetary incentives to retailers who only sell at the MAP.

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Halbert, Sep 30, 2013

As expected. I traded in my GX1 for 50% of what I paid 6 months after the fact. I was seriously thinking of getting the GX7 but will wait to see the price drop. Then again, I'm leaning more towards the Fujifilm XM1.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Corpy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298
Like?
In reply to Holmes375, Oct 1, 2013

Holmes375 wrote:

Same discount at Amazon and B&H.

-- hide signature --

As if this is a surprise?

The day Adorama and B&H conduct any kind of price competition will be the day Obama becomes a Republican.

Want to know B&H's price on anything? Visit either its website or Adorama's. Ditto for Adorama. Maybe .01% of the time one will see a price difference of more than a few cents on a thousand dollar item.

It would be nice to see some kind of price competition in New York City, but we'll have to settle for 2 stores, both very reputable, and both charging the same price.

broody
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
In reply to miro3, Oct 1, 2013

The E-P5 was getting small discounts already, so I suppose this is a start of a price war between both cameras. They're way too alike for it to be otherwise, though I won't settle for anything less than an integrated EVF

Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,176
Like?
In reply to Sgt_Strider, Oct 1, 2013

Sgt_Strider wrote:

Yeah, it's been proven that black cameras take better photos than silly silver ones.

Plus you don't get to look "Professional".

Owen

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,144Gear list
Like?
Where's the appreciation?
In reply to miro3, Oct 1, 2013

It seems to me the cynical responses to this post are kind of sad -- disparaging Panasonic's efforts to attract early buyers to what seems to be a first-rate product by offering a little sweetener. Where's the appreciation?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads