GX7 is already $100 off at adorama

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913Gear list
Like?
GX7 is already $100 off at adorama
Sep 29, 2013

for both body only and kit.

Does it mean that there is not enough interest?

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Joel Halbert
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 is already $100 off at adorama
In reply to miro3, Sep 29, 2013

miro3 wrote:

It very well might mean that they know people are looking for this camera, and they want to attract more orders now that the pre-orders have been shipped.

I ordered mine from Aden in Canada; they were offering CDN$100 off from the very beginning of the pre-order listing.

I believe this camera will be relatively successful for Panasonic. However, all M43 is still plagued by lack of retail presence. One has to be on the internet, actively involved in camera-related sites or groups, or have friends in the know. Few customers will become acquainted with the GX7 or the E-M1 by chance or by random retail browsing.

I will say that, other than the questionable decision of Panasonic USA to offer only one color and not all kits, they've done a somewhat better job (than usual) of making the new model available quickly, with not much delay from Asian and European availability to USA availability. Also, just in the past couple of weeks there have been many new reviews and they are mostly very positive.

Olympus has also done a good job of racing to get the E-M1 to retail right on the heels of the GX7. I'm sure that pulled some customers away from the GX7, or at least made them wait a while longer to make a decision.

Panasonic might do well to mount a real promotion themselves, especially with Christmas coming. The Adorama $100 off could well be a Panasonic-incentive promotion, i.e. Panasonic taking most or all of the discount off of their wholesale price. Like "factory money" for car dealers. This practice makes sense in some ways, but it also discourages smaller camera stores who can't get the same deal from Panasonic. That's one big reason that Lumix has poor representation in camera stores. The problems with poor placement in Best Buy et. al. are probably somewhat different.

-- hide signature --

JoelH

Joel Halbert's gear list:Joel Halbert's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,358
Like?

Same discount at Amazon and B&H.

-- hide signature --
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081
Like?

It's disappointing that black isn't available in the US. That was such a stupid decision by Panasonic USA.

Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,360Gear list
Like?
Adorama's just rring to grab price taker customers

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
miro3
Like?
In reply to Sgt_Strider, Sep 29, 2013

Sgt_Strider wrote:

It's disappointing that black isn't available in the US. That was such a stupid decision by Panasonic USA.

yes!

Is the Canadian black version the same as what the US black version would have been?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,951
Like?

miro3 wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

yes!

Is the Canadian black version the same as what the US black version would have been?

No, Canadian black is bilingualĀ 

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

miro3
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Sep 29, 2013

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

miro3 wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

yes!

No, Canadian black is bilingual

-- hide signature --

Jeff.

But the video formats should be the same, right?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Andy Turner
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Halbert, Sep 29, 2013

Joel Halbert wrote:

Panasonic might do well to mount a real promotion themselves, especially with Christmas coming. The Adorama $100 off could well be a Panasonic-incentive promotion, i.e. Panasonic taking most or all of the discount off of their wholesale price. Like "factory money" for car dealers.

I asked a guy in Jessops in the UK the other day, as to how come the prices of the GX7 are identical everywhere (there's laws against price-fixing in the UK). He said that Panasonic effectively set the price by charging them so much for the GX7 that they can only put it on for sale at RRP. Only when Panasonic bring the price down can the stores start to discount.

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?

But is it French Canadian?

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Halbert, Sep 29, 2013

If you can get someone into the store and sell them a GX7 it's easier to " Add On" to the sale with a few lenses, filters, batteries & such.

Joel Halbert wrote:

miro3 wrote:

It very well might mean that they know people are looking for this camera, and they want to attract more orders now that the pre-orders have been shipped.

I ordered mine from Aden in Canada; they were offering CDN$100 off from the very beginning of the pre-order listing.

I believe this camera will be relatively successful for Panasonic. However, all M43 is still plagued by lack of retail presence. One has to be on the internet, actively involved in camera-related sites or groups, or have friends in the know. Few customers will become acquainted with the GX7 or the E-M1 by chance or by random retail browsing.

I will say that, other than the questionable decision of Panasonic USA to offer only one color and not all kits, they've done a somewhat better job (than usual) of making the new model available quickly, with not much delay from Asian and European availability to USA availability. Also, just in the past couple of weeks there have been many new reviews and they are mostly very positive.

Olympus has also done a good job of racing to get the E-M1 to retail right on the heels of the GX7. I'm sure that pulled some customers away from the GX7, or at least made them wait a while longer to make a decision.

Panasonic might do well to mount a real promotion themselves, especially with Christmas coming. The Adorama $100 off could well be a Panasonic-incentive promotion, i.e. Panasonic taking most or all of the discount off of their wholesale price. Like "factory money" for car dealers. This practice makes sense in some ways, but it also discourages smaller camera stores who can't get the same deal from Panasonic. That's one big reason that Lumix has poor representation in camera stores. The problems with poor placement in Best Buy et. al. are probably somewhat different.

-- hide signature --

JoelH

Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081
Like?
In reply to Andy Turner, Sep 29, 2013

Andy Turner wrote:

Joel Halbert wrote:

Panasonic might do well to mount a real promotion themselves, especially with Christmas coming. The Adorama $100 off could well be a Panasonic-incentive promotion, i.e. Panasonic taking most or all of the discount off of their wholesale price. Like "factory money" for car dealers.

I asked a guy in Jessops in the UK the other day, as to how come the prices of the GX7 are identical everywhere (there's laws against price-fixing in the UK). He said that Panasonic effectively set the price by charging them so much for the GX7 that they can only put it on for sale at RRP. Only when Panasonic bring the price down can the stores start to discount.

lol! There are laws against price fixing in both Canada and the United States as well. It's not unique to the United Kingdom.

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sgt_Strider, Sep 29, 2013

Sgt_Strider wrote:

Andy Turner wrote:

Joel Halbert wrote:

lol! There are laws against price fixing in both Canada and the United States as well. It's not unique to the United Kingdom.

Well I wondered about this.  Decades ago, there used to be variance in retailers' prices.  I remember B&H, Adorama, etc., being much cheaper than in store prices (and there was a ton of other New York mail order shops that were even cheaper).  The something happened in the past 10 years, because we've seen single pricing throughout the US for camera products.  It seems that the only time different discounts are available is when products are discontinued and are on close out clearance. Occasionally there are some additional discounts - and then internet vendors cannot display those prices, instead you have to add items to the shopping cart to see the price.  If they cannot display an "unauthorized" sales price - what do you call that, if not price fixing?

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
The camera's the same, but the warranty is different - nt

miro3 wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

yes!

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
dougjgreen1
Like?
Great News! When it hits $600, I'm buying -nt

miro3 wrote:

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
b534202
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?

miro3 wrote:

This is pathetic.  Sad to see that Panasonic is already screwing people who buy their new cameras.

Which is why I won't buy a Panasonic body until they are $200.

b534202's gear list:b534202's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?

miro3 wrote:

No biggy. I bought the kit at $999 (already discounted) from Samy's Camera, with the intention of selling the 14-42, because I ordered the new 14-140.

I sold the 14-42 kit lens for $170, so in reality the GX7 body cost me $829.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,951
Like?
Re: Great News! When it hits $600, I'm buying -nt
In reply to dougjgreen1, Sep 29, 2013

With Panasonic's previous record, I would venture to guess that it would happen at Christmas time.

-- hide signature --

Jeff.

dougjgreen1
Like?
Probably not until after Xmas - nt

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

With Panasonic's previous record, I would venture to guess that it would happen at Christmas time.

-- hide signature --

Jeff.

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?

Looking at Mikes Camera web site in Denver they call it a sale till Oct 12th. $999.00 w/kit. I'm still waiting for their shop in the Colorado Springs to see one & handle it before laying down any cash.

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads