Ghost arc with 300mm f/4D ED-IF

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
newfounder
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?
Ghost arc with 300mm f/4D ED-IF
10 months ago

Since last November I saw every shots with this lens has a ghost arc at the bottom, a little to the left from the middle. If the back ground is white the arc is very visible. Here is 1:1 crop from a 4288x2848 shot. I opened the front and end cap and can't see anything there. I still think it's probably a dust over somewhere. Since this lens has instruction no not to blowing with dust blower I can't do anything. I bought from gray market nearly 3 years ago and nobody except me is responsible. So what's it and how can I get rid of it.

jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,321Gear list
Like?
Re: Ghost arc with 300mm f/4D ED-IF
In reply to newfounder, 10 months ago

Looks like dust on your sensor.  Telephotos tend to accentuate visibility of dust.  Take a look at your sensor.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
newfounder
Like?
In reply to jhinkey, 10 months ago

It can't be on camera. I used 55-200mm VR and 135mm f2 and a few other short lenses though all of them are considerably shorter than 300mm. And the ghost arc only appears when I use the 300mm Lens and photos with other lenses are very clean at that position. My camera is D300 and I had cleaned the sensor often.

Carsten Pauer 2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,952
Like?

My camera is D300 and I had cleaned the sensor often.

Clean the Sensor again, i have seen this too with big Dust on a Sensor...

newfounder
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 10 months ago

What I did was "Clean image sensor" on the setup menu. I did it intentionally and I also set it to clean at startup and shutdown. So it's done pretty often. Beyond this is there more means to clean that? If so how can I do that myself? Thanks.

NikonHaoleboy
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?

Since you don't see this with two other lenses, there may be something in the lens, in the back group of elements. Something in the front elements of the 300mm ED-IF should be far enough out of focus that it won't be a problem. Either way, the problems are usually noticed at smaller apertures such as f/11-16 and when shooting against a bright background, where it is in effect a shadow. If this is something on your sensor, camera auto-sensor clean is probably better than nothing, but not that much better. Aloha.

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +10 more
Carsten Pauer 2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,952
Like?

What I did was "Clean image sensor" on the setup menu.

LoL...

I did it intentionally and I also set it to clean at startup and shutdown. So it's done pretty often.

I don't mean this internal Camera Cleaning function.
It is the same if You would shaking a full vacuum cleaner Bag.

Beyond this is there more means to clean that?

Yes.

If so how can I do that myself? Thanks.

Sensor Cleaning

Regards: Carsten

Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
Get a good lighted Sensor Loupe

I use it to inspect my sensor but also to inspect and clean my lenses.  It's a great investment.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
newfounder
Like?
Re: Get a good lighted Sensor Loupe
In reply to Al Giordano, 10 months ago

The only other cleaning I did was to air blow inside of camera and haven't used any tools to touch the surface of sensor.

NikonHaoleboy
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?
Have the 300 examined

Have a local repair facility give the lens a quick check, they probably won't charge you. Aloha.

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +10 more
bryand7k
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
In reply to NikonHaoleboy, 10 months ago

Yes, shoot with your other lens even down to f22 and see if there is anything showing. If not then its the 300 ....  get the lens checked out.

bryand7k's gear list:bryand7k's gear list
Nikon D7100 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads