G15/G16, made in China?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Dan Hudson
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
G15/G16, made in China?
10 months ago

Is the Canon G15/G16 made in China or Japan?????  Also wonder about the Nikon P7800. I know the P7700 is made in China.

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P7700 +1 more
ANSWER:
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix P7800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,713Gear list
Like?
Re: G15/G16, made in China?
In reply to Dan Hudson, 10 months ago

Well MY G15 is Made in Japan ...  and it's a gem of a camera..  probably THE best of all G series I've had and indeed I really cannot think of any other compact camea I've had (and I've had QUITE a selection...)  that compare with it for results and overall handling ..super in every way.
I've not really come across any posts or notes anywhere about the G15 as (in some cases maybe) being Made in China... does anybody have one I wonder and can comment on it here...

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to ericN2, 10 months ago

Hey, thanks a lot. I am tired of supporting China in that persecute Christions and etc. I have ordered a Nikon P7800, but may cancel it since I found out that their P7700 is made in China. I have had a G10 a while back and it had the lens self scratch problem. Lens protection blades touched the lens and scratched it. Sent it back and abandoned the G series until now. Has Canon addressed this issue? Thanks again for the info....

-- hide signature --

Raymond88
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?

It is my understanding all Canon cameras are assembled in Japan. Nikon has opened a China factory several years ago.  Initial production had brought in lots of complaints on quality, but so far has seemed to resolve them.  I personally prefer products made in Japan. 

MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,978Gear list
Like?
Japan, at least for mine.
In reply to Raymond88, 10 months ago

Raymond88 wrote:

It is my understanding all Canon cameras are assembled in Japan. Nikon has opened a China factory several years ago. Initial production had brought in lots of complaints on quality, but so far has seemed to resolve them. I personally prefer products made in Japan.

Not true. My PowerShot S5 IS was made in China. My original Digital Rebel/300D was made in Taiwan. But my EOS M, 40D, 7D, G10's and G15 were made in Japan.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Raymond88
Like?
Re: Japan, at least for mine.
In reply to MisterPootieCat, 10 months ago

Thanks for the update!

Robmac07
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

My Aussie bought G15 is definitely made in Japan.

Raymond88
Like?

My G15 bought two months ago was made in Japan. 

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,713Gear list
Like?

Dan Hudson wrote:

Hey, thanks a lot. I am tired of supporting China in that persecute Christions and etc. I have ordered a Nikon P7800, but may cancel it since I found out that their P7700 is made in China. I have had a G10 a while back and it had the lens self scratch problem. Lens protection blades touched the lens and scratched it. Sent it back and abandoned the G series until now. Has Canon addressed this issue? Thanks again for the info....

-- hide signature --

I had a Canon G in much earlier years but the later ones were the G7 & G9 before I skipped the next (too bulky) and then bought what I regard as the superb G15 for both easy-carry and excellent results that I'll put up against any other.  But I've never had the slightest problem with the sliding lens covers .. they ARE fairly delicate of course - yet I suppose sound enough to do as intended..  but I honestly do not see how they can cause damage to the lens UNLESS the camera is unwisely made subject to undue pressure of some kind at the front... this can clearly happen if the front is left prone to any pressure or even I suppose if the camera is in some sort of SOFT case when those front shutters are still available to unknown and unwanted front pressure. I just cannot see how the lens can be damaged unless undue pressure is placed on those blades.. I think it is unfair to judge the camera on that - it is surely the user who creates the pressure where it simply is not made to stand that - nor indeed can do so I'm afraid.. as those shutters need to be fairly thin to act as they do.  It's still down to a matter of user-care.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Raymond88, 8 months ago

Thanks all for the info...

-- hide signature --

Alex Riley
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, 8 months ago

I have just bought a G16, a grey import from Hong Kong.  it is made in Japan.

Alex Riley's gear list:Alex Riley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 +4 more
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 758
Like?
In reply to Alex Riley, 8 months ago

Alex Riley wrote:

I have just bought a G16, a grey import from Hong Kong. it is made in Japan.

I think all Canon G16s are Mfg. in Japan.

Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,194
Like?
A bit dated in my response, but I was bored today
In reply to MisterPootieCat, 8 months ago

My S5 was made in Japan, contrary to MisterPootieCat's S5 having been made in China. See pic below of my old S5. As the old saying goes, "you just never know"

Regards, Jim

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Raymond88 wrote:

It is my understanding all Canon cameras are assembled in Japan. Nikon has opened a China factory several years ago. Initial production had brought in lots of complaints on quality, but so far has seemed to resolve them. I personally prefer products made in Japan.

Not true. My PowerShot S5 IS was made in China. My original Digital Rebel/300D was made in Taiwan. But my EOS M, 40D, 7D, G10's and G15 were made in Japan.

MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,978Gear list
Like?
Re: A bit dated in my response, but I was bored today
In reply to Jim N'AZ, 8 months ago

Jim N'AZ wrote:

My S5 was made in Japan, contrary to MisterPootieCat's S5 having been made in China. See pic below of my old S5. As the old saying goes, "you just never know"

Regards, Jim

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Raymond88 wrote:

Older S5 IS cameras were made in Japan, I bought mine after they stopped production. I was bored too!

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads