Catch-in_focusing ideas.

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 26,004
Like?
Catch-in_focusing ideas.
Sep 27, 2013

Hi folks,

You can use catch-in-focusing for many things besides BIFs. A horse that is at or near the top of the jump. The finish point (or very near it) of a horse race (or a human race). A runner that is at a certain point on a track. A race car (motorcycle) at a certain place on a track. An animal (or man) as it crosses a certain point on a trail. A bird or any animal leaving it's hidy hole in a tree or a hole in the ground. Pre-focus on that hidy hole distance then turn the lens focus ring slightly towards minumum focus so that it no longer fires with the wired remote pressed. Then press and lock the wired remote and when the bird or animal leaves the hidy hole the camera begins to fire.

All of the above are my thoughts when used on a tripod and with the use of a locking wired remote switch.

As far as using catch-in-focus aginst the BIFs go, you can press and hold the shutter button fully closed as you manually focus on a bird in flight. The camera will only fire when it achieves focus. If you have continuous shooting on then it will continue to fire until the lens is no longer in focus, then while still holding the shutter fully closed just refocus the lens until it starts firing again. Repeat until you want to quit.

EDIT: A couple more ideas that I have tried with some success. (1) - If you notice a dragonfly that likes a certain spot then pre-focus on that spot then move the camera such that the prefocused point is just above the spot. Then lock your wired remote and catch the dragonfly as it is coming in for a landing. (2) - Prefocused just above a flower and catch bees and other things as they approach the flower.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

nbela
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065Gear list
Like?
Bookmarked! Thanks. (nt)
In reply to brandrx, Sep 27, 2013
 nbela's gear list:nbela's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,288
Like?
Re: Catch-in_focusing ideas.
In reply to brandrx, Sep 28, 2013

Thanx Ron!

Kind Regards,
Spyros

SanMat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,811
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Sep 28, 2013

Agree Ron.

Would also add:

For street work, hand-held shooting (with manual lenses).  Keep it in CIF mode, and start with the subjects intentionally out of focus and slowly bring them in and let the camera's AF system do the work.  The real trick is figuring out whether the particular lens combo is more accurate starting the OOF point past the subject, or in front of it (for handheld shooting).  With my Zeiss (35mm)/K5, it was noticeably more accurate when starting the OOF point behind the subject then slowly racking the focus back onto the subject.  With K20D it was the opposite.  Doesn't take long to figure out.

Can breathe new life into some older MF-only lenses, for those who thing manual focusing is just too slow for street work.

Pete

Stewart Corman
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
In reply to SanMat, Sep 29, 2013

when handheld for macro flowers, dragonflies, etc using MF lenses ...preset a distance, hold in the shutter for CIF and slightly move camera forward and backwards, just slightly

OR, if you are fancy on a tripod and have a racking stage

Stew

brandrx
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 8 months ago

I wonder if anyone else might be interested in reading this 7 month old thread? Running it to the top to see.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Nhelnhel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003Gear list
Like?

Ron

Of course, all of us loves to read all threads here specially a thread which helps beginners/amateurs photographers how to take a better photos.

Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695Gear list
Like?

Catching who is eating the Easter candy when they are not supposed to be, or figuring out which cat is peeing on your shoes.

I've done time lapse with CIF.   Its interesting looking, and replaces getting the same effect via deleting frames / cutting footage.   For example, on a busy road, you can use CIF to catch cars, over the course of a day you can get thousands of shots that way,   Play them back as a movie, do some stacking to blur / average / smooth it out and its really interesting looking.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
brandrx
Like?
In reply to BobORama, 8 months ago

BobORama wrote:

Catching who is eating the Easter candy when they are not supposed to be, or figuring out which cat is peeing on your shoes.

I've done time lapse with CIF.   Its interesting looking, and replaces getting the same effect via deleting frames / cutting footage.   For example, on a busy road, you can use CIF to catch cars, over the course of a day you can get thousands of shots that way,   Play them back as a movie, do some stacking to blur / average / smooth it out and its really interesting looking.

That's an interesting idea that I never thought of Bob. Thanks for point it out.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

brandrx wrote:

I wonder if anyone else might be interested in reading this 7 month old thread? Running it to the top to see.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Yes was an interesting read and I somehow missed it 6 months ago. Thanks for getting it up front again.

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson
To truly see one must open their mind as well as their eyes

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
rmalbers
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

Fast moving garden trains, they are actually kind of hard to shoot.  I'm going to try it on them the next time I get a chance, now that I have a new K-50!

Pacerr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?
In reply to BobORama, 8 months ago

Trail camera!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads