Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?
Re: 70d look and feel..
In reply to Stakeouttoo, 11 months ago

Stakeouttoo wrote:

Woody W. wrote:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally grab a 700D?

-- hide signature --

- Woody -
Equipment: Enough. For now.
Quote: 'The only thing some people will believe is their own eyes. But in the realm of the quality of a printed image, is there really anything else that can be believed? '

NOPE... 70d... as in 70d.. I do know the difference... last one I picked up was yesterday in Costco... yop it's a 70d

hopefully the 7dMkII will come out sooner than later for an upgrade.. I won't do an upgrade to the 70d from my 60d

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

also adding... NO ...repeat NO.... 700d in the US.. it's the Rebel T5i here so all they have are 70d's

-- hide signature --

Ray

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,522Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrccad, 11 months ago

rrccad wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

Stakeouttoo wrote:

over the past week handled the 70d...not sure if it is just me but I thought it felt more like a Rebel series camera like my old Xsi (450d) than my 60d which I still like a lot..

??? Per manufacturer and preview descriptions I've seen, in terms of Size, weight, control layout, and finish the 70D's feel should all be very similar to 60D. In what way did it feel more like your 450D?

was looking to upgrade... actually wanted to go one-step up to a new 7DMkII if it will ever show its face... not looking to go FF

I don't think of any progression within the same line to be an "upgrade". To me, 60D to 70D is a sideways move, just a refinement of a basic feature set. IMHO (YMMV) an upgrade would be to higher model line with more advanced feature set and/or larger format, e.g. from 60D to 7D, 5D/6D, or 1D lines.

I wouldn't say that .. even from a photographic only aspect, there were advancements and improvements in just about every area.

+1 Rrccad

Folks should really take into consideration the positive benefits of any increase in "keeper percentage" as well (not just poring over the manuf spec).  Actual shooting results.  (For instance the Macro AF performance of the 100L Macro on my 70D is leagues better than with any other cam I've shot Macro with).

For the benefit of those in the hunt, I think that as more and more folks get these 70Ds in hand, the "capability" picture will become even clearer.

And it sure looks like the upcoming 7D Mk II will be an even more capable performer with its dual processors and a host of other refinements (even if by chance it does sport basically the same sensor).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
RGL1215
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 11 months ago

R2D2 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

Stakeouttoo wrote:

over the past week handled the 70d...not sure if it is just me but I thought it felt more like a Rebel series camera like my old Xsi (450d) than my 60d which I still like a lot..

??? Per manufacturer and preview descriptions I've seen, in terms of Size, weight, control layout, and finish the 70D's feel should all be very similar to 60D. In what way did it feel more like your 450D?

was looking to upgrade... actually wanted to go one-step up to a new 7DMkII if it will ever show its face... not looking to go FF

I don't think of any progression within the same line to be an "upgrade". To me, 60D to 70D is a sideways move, just a refinement of a basic feature set. IMHO (YMMV) an upgrade would be to higher model line with more advanced feature set and/or larger format, e.g. from 60D to 7D, 5D/6D, or 1D lines.

I wouldn't say that .. even from a photographic only aspect, there were advancements and improvements in just about every area.

+1 Rrccad

Folks should really take into consideration the positive benefits of any increase in "keeper percentage" as well (not just poring over the manuf spec). Actual shooting results. (For instance the Macro AF performance of the 100L Macro on my 70D is leagues better than with any other cam I've shot Macro with).

For the benefit of those in the hunt, I think that as more and more folks get these 70Ds in hand, the "capability" picture will become even clearer.

And it sure looks like the upcoming 7D Mk II will be an even more capable performer with its dual processors and a host of other refinements (even if by chance it does sport basically the same sensor).

R2

-- hide signature --

It better not sport the same sensor. After all this time and to have the 70d come out before the 7d's replacement it would be a joke if the 7d2 didn't have a new sensor. I'll be pissedoff.

RGL1215's gear list:RGL1215's gear list
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Woody W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,467
Like?

I understand. Didn't know if you were in the US or not. I just didn't find the feel to be that similar to the xxxD/Rebel series.

-- hide signature --

- Woody -
Equipment: Enough. For now.
Quote: 'The only thing some people will believe is their own eyes. But in the realm of the quality of a printed image, is there really anything else that can be believed? '

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709Gear list
Like?
In reply to RGL1215, 11 months ago

RGL1215 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

Stakeouttoo wrote:

+1 Rrccad

Folks should really take into consideration the positive benefits of any increase in "keeper percentage" as well (not just poring over the manuf spec). Actual shooting results. (For instance the Macro AF performance of the 100L Macro on my 70D is leagues better than with any other cam I've shot Macro with).

For the benefit of those in the hunt, I think that as more and more folks get these 70Ds in hand, the "capability" picture will become even clearer.

And it sure looks like the upcoming 7D Mk II will be an even more capable performer with its dual processors and a host of other refinements (even if by chance it does sport basically the same sensor).

R2

-- hide signature --

It better not sport the same sensor. After all this time and to have the 70d come out before the 7d's replacement it would be a joke if the 7d2 didn't have a new sensor. I'll be pissedoff.

be prepared to be pissedoff then.

it will support a much more advanced AF (possibly even 1 series), better buiild / weathersealing, 5d/7d ergos, faster frame frate, better video support and probably dual card slots.

all that will rate around a 400-500 USD increase over the 70D price.

the feature set is pretty obvious if you look at the 6d/5d Mark III.  just my opinion .. but unless it's going way up in price well over 2K ..i doubt we'll see anything too dramatic.

there's so little difference in between the APS-C cameras now anyways - in print and in reality you'll never see the difference.  but there needs to be a higher performing APS-C camera that is "near professional" and that's the 7D series.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
rrccad
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 11 months ago

R2D2 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

Stakeouttoo wrote:

+1 Rrccad

well, let's see .. over the 60D

- faster fps
- much,much much more advanced AF
- slightly better viewfinder
- much better AEB (heck this was regated to 1 series only a generation ago)
- more advanced MFA versus none
- wifi tethering

- more ergonomic touch screen (if you don't think this rocks for photography you never tried it)
- better sensor (more mp's, better OOC jpg,etc)

did i forget anything?

oh yeah that video stuff too.

skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,540Gear list
Like?

rrccad wrote:

RGL1215 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

Stakeouttoo wrote:

+1 Rrccad

R2

-- hide signature --

be prepared to be pissedoff then.

it will support a much more advanced AF (possibly even 1 series), better buiild / weathersealing, 5d/7d ergos, faster frame frate, better video support and probably dual card slots.

all that will rate around a 400-500 USD increase over the 70D price.

the feature set is pretty obvious if you look at the 6d/5d Mark III. just my opinion .. but unless it's going way up in price well over 2K ..i doubt we'll see anything too dramatic.

there's so little difference in between the APS-C cameras now anyways - in print and in reality you'll never see the difference. but there needs to be a higher performing APS-C camera that is "near professional" and that's the 7D series.

Big question for me is will it have vari-angle touchscreen. If not, I wouldnt consider it.  In general, extra weight and price over 70D don't seem to be worth it for me  as you describe your speculation, but lets weight for actual specs if the camera ever appears.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,522Gear list
Like?
In reply to RGL1215, 11 months ago

RGL1215 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean the same current 18 MP sensor. Meant that it would likely be a version of the same 20 MP Dual-pixel sensor as found in the just-released 70D.

You can breathe a little easier now.

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Stakeouttoo
Like?

rrccad wrote:

- faster fps
- wifi tethering

- more ergonomic touch screen (if you don't think this rocks for photography you never tried it)

did i forget anything?

wifi tethering... touchscreen..video ..all three NOT on my list...

what's so great about a touchscreen on a small 3" LCD.. that's why God made buttons... you must not shoot thru your viewfinder???  .. I never use Live View..     I can see it on my Galaxy S4 phone but not on a DSLR.. I also can't see it on a laptop or a desktop getting dirty greasy fingerprints all over my monitor while trying to view and edit my image files... guess that's why I am a non Windows 8 user-- a made for Tablet OS-- that is causing Ballmer to bailout and head for the hills and hide after his Win8 debacle

-- hide signature --

Ray

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
rrccad
Like?

Stakeouttoo wrote:

rrccad wrote:

- faster fps
- wifi tethering

did i forget anything?

wifi tethering... touchscreen..video ..all three NOT on my list...

what's so great about a touchscreen on a small 3" LCD.. that's why God made buttons... you must not shoot thru your viewfinder??? .. I never use Live View.. I can see it on my Galaxy S4 phone but not on a DSLR..

well i have an EOS-M as well and the touchscreen interface is intuitive and downright ridiculously so much easier than a viewfinder / PDAF for flipping focus anywhere around in 80% of the entire field of view.

for macro work and landscape i much prefer the touchscreen and associated AF than i do viewfinder AF.  no focus / recompose for hyperfocal .. nothing.  just touch and the picture takes.  end of story.  like i said if you haven't tried it .. you just don't know how insanely good it is.

wifi - again for macro / tripod work / long exposure work - being have to remotely control / tether your camera without cords - a complete win.

like i said - every aspect of the photographic experience outside of a single SD card was upgraded from the 60D.  anymore upgrades, and it would have been a 7D body.

Stakeouttoo
Like?

rrccad wrote:

well i have an EOS-M as well and the touchscreen interface is intuitive and downright ridiculously so much easier than a viewfinder / PDAF for flipping focus anywhere around in 80% of the entire field of view.

for macro work and landscape i much prefer the touchscreen and associated AF than i do viewfinder AF. no focus / recompose for hyperfocal .. nothing. just touch and the picture takes. end of story. like i said if you haven't tried it .. you just don't know how insanely good it is.

wifi - again for macro / tripod work / long exposure work - being have to remotely control / tether your camera without cords - a complete win.

like i said - every aspect of the photographic experience outside of a single SD card was upgraded from the 60D. anymore upgrades, and it would have been a 7D body.

that makes using it as a P&S.. if I want a P&S I use my old lil' 850is.. not for me when using a DSLR..as I said.. I don't use Live-view either...don't know how you can view the screen that well in sunlight.. I can't... maybe on a Super-Amoled smartphone  Galaxy type screen is the only way I'll use a touchscreen-camera in daylight

glad you like it 

-- hide signature --

Ray

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,821
Like?

rrccad wrote:

for macro work and landscape i much prefer the touchscreen and associated AF than i do viewfinder AF. no focus / recompose for hyperfocal .. nothing. just touch and the picture takes. end of story. like i said if you haven't tried it .. you just don't know how insanely good it is.

like i said - every aspect of the photographic experience outside of a single SD card was upgraded from the 60D. anymore upgrades, and it would have been a 7D body.

that makes using it as a P&S.. if I want a P&S I use my old lil' 850is.. not for me when using a DSLR..as I said.. I don't use Live-view either...don't know how you can view the screen that well in sunlight.. I can't... maybe on a Super-Amoled smartphone  Galaxy type screen is the only way I'll use a touchscreen-camera in daylight

glad you like it 

-- hide signature --

Ray

It really isn't that hard to view a LCD in sunlight. People act as if its sooo hard. Never had an issue. Try shooting moving things not at your eye level. Ovf is not the only way to take pics!

Stakeouttoo
Like?
In reply to Cane, 11 months ago

Cane wrote:

It really isn't that hard to view a LCD in sunlight. People act as if its sooo hard. Never had an issue. Try shooting moving things not at your eye level. Ovf is not the only way to take pics!

that's pretty darn good if you can do it--compose a pic properly using the LCD in sunlight... more power to ya' 

-- hide signature --

Ray

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads