70d look and feel..

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
70d look and feel..
Sep 27, 2013

over the past week handled the 70d...not sure if it is just me but I thought it felt more like a Rebel series camera like my old Xsi (450d) than my 60d which I still like a lot.. was looking to upgrade... actually wanted to go one-step up to a new 7DMkII if it will ever show its face... not looking to go FF

at the same time also played with the Nikon 7100.. overall felt a lot better than the 70d... but NOT going to switch ..sticking with Canon..also NOT into taking videos with my DSLR's so not a priority and any hype about video is a 'nothing' for me.. I'll stay with my Flip and 850is for the little video that I due on occasion

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,865Gear list
Like?
Re: 70d look and feel..
In reply to Stakeouttoo, Sep 27, 2013

Stakeouttoo wrote:

over the past week handled the 70d...not sure if it is just me but I thought it felt more like a Rebel series camera like my old Xsi (450d) than my 60d which I still like a lot..

???  Per manufacturer and preview descriptions I've seen, in terms of Size, weight, control layout, and finish the 70D's feel should all be very similar to 60D.  In what way did it feel more like your 450D?

was looking to upgrade... actually wanted to go one-step up to a new 7DMkII if it will ever show its face... not looking to go FF

I don't think of any progression within the same line to be an "upgrade".  To me, 60D to 70D is a sideways move, just a refinement of a basic feature set.  IMHO (YMMV) an upgrade would be to higher model line with more advanced feature set and/or larger format, e.g. from 60D to 7D, 5D/6D, or 1D lines.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig76
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?

Stakeouttoo wrote:

over the past week handled the 70d...not sure if it is just me but I thought it felt more like a Rebel series camera like my old Xsi (450d) than my 60d which I still like a lot.. was looking to upgrade... actually wanted to go one-step up to a new 7DMkII if it will ever show its face... not looking to go FF

at the same time also played with the Nikon 7100.. overall felt a lot better than the 70d... but NOT going to switch ..sticking with Canon..also NOT into taking videos with my DSLR's so not a priority and any hype about video is a 'nothing' for me.. I'll stay with my Flip and 850is for the little video that I due on occasion

-- hide signature --

Ray

I love my 60D, and am considering upgrading to a 6D or 7D MKII (if it ever appears). But the build quality and 'creakiness' of the 60D still bug me a bit. The top dial feels very cheap, like it could break at any time. It likely won't, but I'm just saying the feel of the camera leaves something to be desired. And while that does not affect image quality, it does have an impact on the overall experience while out doing photoshoots.

Anyway, rather than upgrade this year i've decided to get a good pano head for my tripod. That, and maybe a new lens, will undoubtedly have a bigger impact on my photography.

Stakeouttoo
Like?
In reply to Lemming51, Sep 27, 2013

Lemming51 wrote:

??? Per manufacturer and preview descriptions I've seen, in terms of Size, weight, control layout, and finish the 70D's feel should all be very similar to 60D. In what way did it feel more like your 450D?

it's probably just me...but it sure did feel 'smaller' in my hands and very similar to my older Xsi rather than to the 60d that it replaced.. it just didn't 'feel right' after using my 60d for the past 2 years

-- hide signature --

Ray

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Stakeouttoo
Like?
In reply to Craig76, Sep 27, 2013

Craig76 wrote:

I love my 60D, and am considering upgrading to a 6D or 7D MKII (if it ever appears). But the build quality and 'creakiness' of the 60D still bug me a bit. The top dial feels very cheap, like it could break at any time. It likely won't, but I'm just saying the feel of the camera leaves something to be desired. And while that does not affect image quality, it does have an impact on the overall experience while out doing photoshoots.

Anyway, rather than upgrade this year i've decided to get a good pano head for my tripod. That, and maybe a new lens, will undoubtedly have a bigger impact on my photography.

no problems with my 60d after 2 years of use and 38K shutter clicks.. don't get the feeling that it is 'on the cheap' with the dials or any creakiness..actually that's the way I felt after handling the 70d.. a bit on the not so nice-feel wise because I probably was expecting a lot more.... obviously it's a subjective thingy..

after seeing and handling the 70d if I was to replace my 60d with the same level of camera I would probably buy another 60d with the low prices on them--they were down to $599US.. now back up to $699US...so the upgrade for me will be the 7DMkII if and when????.. hopefully sooner than later.. c'mon Canon wake up.. do the right thing.. and make me happy

-- hide signature --

Ray

JNPap
Regular MemberPosts: 282
Like?

Stakeouttoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ray

I got my 70D yesterday and I have to agree that compared to my 20D (quit laughing   ), it really does feel cheaply made.

Not sure what I'm going to do.

Jason D
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to JNPap, Sep 27, 2013

When 60d came out, i didn't like it at all. i kept using my 30d util 70d came out. i was lucky that i had a chance to try the 70d on the day it was announced and i liked it. it is not the same build quality as my 6 year old 30d, but it is better than 60d. i bought my 70d in the first week of available. it works ok.

jack67dorsey
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

I've got both a 70D and 60D which seem to me to have the same build quality, however I find the usability of the 70D to be significantly better especially touch screen, viewfinder focusing, liveview focusing, and video focusing.

I don't agree that the 70D feels cheaper and its hard for me to understand how someone would one model ok and the other substandard.

Jack

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,752Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNPap, Sep 28, 2013

JNPap wrote:

Not sure what I'm going to do.

LOL.  Mebbe go out and take some pictures?? 

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,651Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stakeouttoo, Sep 28, 2013

I think the 70D has a slightly smaller grip than the 60D, otherwise, AFAIK, build quality is very similar.

I find 60D to be well-built, ergonomic, and light - an almost perfect balance to my lenses. I never felt it was cheaply made, to the contrary, very robust. Some think it feels cheap compared to heavier, metal-bodied models, but this is not the case. I think lighter bodies are a huge bonus, not a detriment.

I haven't held a 70D yet, I'll stop in B&H soon and compare, report back.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
BillsLIPhotos
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?

Stakeouttoo wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

??? Per manufacturer and preview descriptions I've seen, in terms of Size, weight, control layout, and finish the 70D's feel should all be very similar to 60D. In what way did it feel more like your 450D?

it's probably just me...but it sure did feel 'smaller' in my hands and very similar to my older Xsi rather than to the 60d that it replaced.. it just didn't 'feel right' after using my 60d for the past 2 years

-- hide signature --

Ray

I upgraded from a 450D and the 70D doesn't remind me of the 450D in any way. After having the 70D for a couple of weeks I picked up the 450D and it feels like a toy. I really like the larger body of the 70D not to mention everything else. That said I'm hanging on to the 450D since there isn't a significant value to me in selling it and it might come in handy someday - I was able to take some nice photos with it over the years. My bet is that you haven't picked up a rebel in a while and forgot what it feels like.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,033Gear list
Like?

It's amazing how the "feel" of a camera affects your photographic results.  It doesn't.  The "feel" of a camera affects the user's perception of a camera if they are into cameras as status symbols, newest gadgets, or collecting cameras.

mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Sep 28, 2013

You took the words right out of my mouth. I own four Canon bodies and the "feel" wasn't an issue.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,149Gear list
Like?

Someone  wrote:

over the past week handled the 70d... just me .. was looking to upgrade... actually wanted to go one-step up to a wonderful new 70D ... not looking to go FF

at the same time also played with the Nikon 7100.. overall felt a lot worse than the 70d... but NOT going to switch ..sticking with Canon..also NOT into taking videos with my DSLR's so not a priority and any hype about video is a 'nothing' for me.. I'll stay with the little cam that I use on occasion

-- hide signature --

Ray

...:)

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,651Gear list
Like?
Feel with hand grip

RedFox88 wrote:

It's amazing how the "feel" of a camera affects your photographic results. It doesn't. The "feel" of a camera affects the user's perception of a camera if they are into cameras as status symbols, newest gadgets, or collecting cameras.

Because I use a hand grip, the "feel" and grip size of any camera is pretty similar. For me, the main difference is weight. I prefer lighter.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,752Gear list
Like?

RedFox88 wrote:

It's amazing how the "feel" of a camera affects your photographic results. It doesn't. The "feel" of a camera affects the user's perception of a camera if they are into cameras as status symbols, newest gadgets, or collecting cameras.

+2

While UI and GUI can sometimes affect actual (user) performance in some aspects, I personally have never had a problem shifting from one camera to another.  Unless it was a Nikon of course!!!  

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Stakeouttoo
Like?

RedFox88 wrote:

I could care less about status..newest gadgets.. etc... but the feel of a camera..to me at least ..makes for a better picture taking experience..if it is not comfortable to use it's just not fun taking pics...gotta  enjoy taking pics.. I'm not in it as a bizness.....  is there much difference in picture quality between many cameras that is noticeable.. not by much...

-- hide signature --

Ray

Stakeouttoo
Like?
In reply to skanter, Sep 28, 2013

skanter wrote:

I think the 70D has a slightly smaller grip than the 60D, otherwise, AFAIK, build quality is very similar.

I find 60D to be well-built, ergonomic, and light - an almost perfect balance to my lenses. I never felt it was cheaply made, to the contrary, very robust. Some think it feels cheap compared to heavier, metal-bodied models, but this is not the case. I think lighter bodies are a huge bonus, not a detriment.

I haven't held a 70D yet, I'll stop in B&H soon and compare, report back.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

it sure does feel like a smaller grip... maybe that's why I mentioned my old Xsi and it being similar.. to me the 70d is not the same feel as my 60d..

-- hide signature --

Ray

Stakeouttoo
Like?
In reply to jack67dorsey, Sep 28, 2013

jack67dorsey wrote:

I've got both a 70D and 60D which seem to me to have the same build quality, however I find the usability of the 70D to be significantly better especially touch screen, viewfinder focusing, liveview focusing, and video focusing.

I don't agree that the 70D feels cheaper and its hard for me to understand how someone would one model ok and the other substandard.

Jack

as far as touch-screen... not really a priority of mine and would never use it in a DSLR as I always use the viewfinder never the LCD or Liveview  while taking pics.. same with the video capability... never use it in a DSLR..

I find the difference in handling my 60d vs the 70d  significant..  maybe I was just expecting more in the 70d compared to my 60d  than what I found... I'm waiting for the 7dMkII upgrade .. and the way it looks will be waiting a long time for it to show up

-- hide signature --

Ray

rickyred
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
In reply to skanter, Sep 28, 2013

I own a 60D and the feel is like a slightly larger rebel series with the same mushy buttons. The rubber hand grip started peeling off, the AF only fair. On the flip side ? Any one who has used a flip screen to take stills will tell you that a flip screen should be as common as AF. It looks like the 70D flip screen with touch would be a great addition to any camera and faster AF in live view. I am just saying for a camera that cost over a thousand dollars. The 60D should have been better built. Mine just sits on the shelf now that I have my wonderful 7D.  R.J

rickyred's gear list:rickyred's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads