Like?
No V3 in the Pipeline this Year?
10 months ago
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Re: No V3 in the Pipeline this Year?
In reply to AustinB, 10 months ago

I think that is the big unknown question right now.  There really aren't any solid rumors at this point, though you seem to run into plenty of the rumor people saying that there will be a V3. Nikon's statements in August about reconsidering their approach with the Nikon 1 line leave all of us nervous, but I would think that is a long term strategy and that something in the pipeline would continue its way to market.

Through a post on nikonrumors.com, a spokesperson for Aptina says that they expect cameras with their new sensor to make it to the market early next year.  Since the whole N1 line uses Aptina sensors, this may be a clue to when we might see the V3.  I could imagine a scenario where this could get moved forward.  Nikon and Aptina have such a close working relationship that I think Nikon basically gets first dibs on new products.  When the V2 was released last year, I don't think Aptina had even announced that new sensor yet.  They didn't get around to doing full press releases on that sensor until something like February-March, which was a few months after the V2 had already been on the market.  I could see the Aptina spokespeople being cagey about their release dates because they want to keep Nikon happy and allow them to have the "splash" of the new product announcement.

Unlike other camera companies, Nikon likes to stagger its press releases instead of announcing everything at once.  A few weeks ago we got the coolpix 7800 announcement. We just had the AW1 announcement last week.  It looks like the D610 is getting its announcement next week.  There is some expectation that Nikon may have some sort of product announcement ready to go for the PhotoPlus Expo in New York on Oct 24-26, but whether that has anything to do with the N1 system or V3 is anyone's guess. It is worth noting that the V2 was announced on Oct 23/24, 2012 at a PhotoPlus trade show...

My best hope for a V3 this year would be that it will also be announced that the PhotoPlus show in late October.  That would make sense as it would allow them to get it out for the holiday season.  I think the biggest questions are whether they actually intend to launch a V3 and if they will have new hardware ready to go for this holiday season.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 624
Like?
In reply to DesertCat, 10 months ago

I'm waiting for it.

It wouldn't surprize me if they want to get it right this time

The 800 AF, 600 spots may be making them gun shy about announcements (& releases) before the tech is right.

I think it's good business.

Rags

SavioHK
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

I don't think there will be any V3 soon, if nikon release a new V3 J4 model, most likely a new sensor will come with it to make a point, and nikon may also use it on the newly introduced AW 1 model.

Vlasty
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
In reply to SavioHK, 10 months ago

I doubt that we will see a release this year unfortunately. Several months before the release of the V2 the rumor sites where in full swing with the specs of the V2, we have yet to see that. However I guess its possible Nikon has tightened the rumor mill up. My bet is 1st quarter 2014.

Vlasty's gear list:Vlasty's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V1 Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM +9 more
Nung
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?

Not surprising, Nikon usually refresh their bodies every couple of years. The V2 only been out for a short while.

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

Probably soon, considering the circumstances.

The D610 psychics thought a new model was going to be released 3 weeks ago and it didn't happen. Prospective V3 buyers assume that nothing will be released soon. So hang in there. You never know when a big surprise might occur.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to DesertCat, 10 months ago

Great post. Guess we'll wait and see. Bought an OMD two weeks ago and didn't bond with it. Great camera, but not intuitive in its controls. Made me appreciate the V1 and really look forward to Nikon developing the system if they choose to.

oldphotog2
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, 10 months ago

Was at a show at the top camera store today that had reps from the various camera companies, etc. Nikon rep stated that they were to low on the memo chain to have any knowledge about the upgrade to V3. In fact when I brought up the subject of Nikon rethinking the N1 system he stated that he knew nothing of such a statement. What can one expect from a rep?

oldphotog2's gear list:oldphotog2's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
In reply to oldphotog2, 10 months ago

Yeah, it is always hard to know with a rep. Their primary goal is to promote products that are already on the shelf. With some companies (not sure if Nikon is this way) reps can even get in trouble for talking about unannounced products. They generally don't want to do anything that might hurt their ability to sell you something today (or any other customers that might overhear).

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads