Most activity on M4/3s forum

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,634
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to brianric, Oct 1, 2013

brianric wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

A Q then. Why bother lugging around the very large and very heavy 24-70 when you could use say a 24-85 3.5-4.5 or whatever it is which is a fraction of the size/weight?

BTW - could you answer the above question please.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,701Gear list
Like?
Re: Most activity on M4/3s forum
In reply to Bob Tullis, Oct 1, 2013

Well, I guess there are others, since you mention it.

 Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mephistopheles*
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Only forum defined by sensor size, not brand
In reply to herebefore, Oct 1, 2013

herebefore wrote:

Mephistopheles* wrote:

Think the reason for the high level of activity in this forum is fairly simple. It is the only DP Review forum whose scope includes all cameras of a certain sensor size rather than being limited to a particular a brand. So it has more discussion because multiple brands are included, and because it invites debates about the advantages and disadvantages of different classes of camera systems (as defined by sensor size). If there were a single APS-C or full frame forum, I would expect it would be similarly active.

Jim

M43 is not a sensor size, it is a camera type. (camera system).

Yeah.  A type of camera whose sensors are all the same size and shape.

Anyway, I take your point.  But doesn't really affect my point.

 Mephistopheles*'s gear list:Mephistopheles*'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Only forum defined by sensor size, not brand
In reply to Mephistopheles*, Oct 1, 2013

Mephistopheles* wrote:

herebefore wrote:

Mephistopheles* wrote:

Think the reason for the high level of activity in this forum is fairly simple. It is the only DP Review forum whose scope includes all cameras of a certain sensor size rather than being limited to a particular a brand. So it has more discussion because multiple brands are included, and because it invites debates about the advantages and disadvantages of different classes of camera systems (as defined by sensor size). If there were a single APS-C or full frame forum, I would expect it would be similarly active.

Jim

M43 is not a sensor size, it is a camera type. (camera system).

Yeah. A type of camera whose sensors are all the same size and shape.

Anyway, I take your point. But doesn't really affect my point.

M43 is a lens mount standard. It defines not sensor size only, but registered distance, communications, physical dimensions, and some other parameters.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas Karlmann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to Big Ga, Oct 1, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

OK, so you have/are using GH3 and EM5. I've not shot either, but I've done lots of arm-chair investigation into the E-M1 -- and think this one is a different beast from the GH3 and EM5, JMO.

Rigggggghhhht. So your 'armchair investigation' tells you all this.

Tell you what. Go out and buy a GH3 and an EM5, use them in situations that pros use the big 1 series Canikon cameras, then come back and we can talk on the same wavelength.

Hardly -- I've no intention of buying an EM5; and GH3 is almost solely for video.  But I DO intend to buy the E-M1 -- then we'll talk.  Bring it.  My point, in no intended disrespect for your work or your present M4/3 experience, not all M4/3 are created equally.  My 'armchair' has also spanned dozens of videos on YT where pros/reviewers have used the E-M1; plus scores of detailed written reviews.  I just did a photo comparison yesterday of soccer shots at the same game by the same (perhaps pro) guy shot with both Nikon D4 and E-M1 -- SAME IQ, IMO (E-M1 should have been color managed and needed a very small bit of sharpening).  Why do you think the sun rises & sets on your experiences with GH3 & EM5 as completely representative of M4/3?  I see you have chosen to delete the parts of my post you didn't want to see again or couldn't disagree with.  BTW: my non-armchair work includes 100 Weddings + other event-type work.  I don't do sports photography -- but I read & look at it to ensure that the tracking system in a camera candidate is appropriate for my Wedding work.  Can a soccer player move faster than a Bride, probably.

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,634
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to Thomas Karlmann, Oct 1, 2013

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

OK, so you have/are using GH3 and EM5. I've not shot either, but I've done lots of arm-chair investigation into the E-M1 -- and think this one is a different beast from the GH3 and EM5, JMO.

Rigggggghhhht. So your 'armchair investigation' tells you all this.

Tell you what. Go out and buy a GH3 and an EM5, use them in situations that pros use the big 1 series Canikon cameras, then come back and we can talk on the same wavelength.

Hardly -- I've no intention of buying an EM5; and GH3 is almost solely for video.

See, this is an example of the problem. You're talking rubbish. So much rubbish, that I wonder if you are actually a troll. The GH3 is indeed probably the best MFT camera for doing video, however, many people (including myself) have never even used the video features on that camera. I bought it as I consider it the best, most ergonomic STILLS mft camera out there (at least pre EM1 and time will tell on that one).

But I DO intend to buy the E-M1 -- then we'll talk. Bring it. My point, in no intended disrespect for your work or your present M4/3 experience, not all M4/3 are created equally. My 'armchair' has also spanned dozens of videos on YT where pros/reviewers have used the E-M1; plus scores of detailed written reviews.

Yea, and I've read scores of glowing reviews on the EM5 as well, and they still don't really prepare the pro working in demanding situations of the pitfalls.

Why do you think the sun rises & sets on your experiences with GH3 & EM5 as completely representative of M4/3?

Point me to where I say that my experiences of MFT are 'completely representative'? I'm not saying that.

I see you have chosen to delete the parts of my post you didn't want to see again or couldn't disagree with.

My answer to you was that its pointless discussing and debating your armchair analysis v my real life experiences. Its a waste of my time. Go out and buy and use the gear, then we can talk.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,914Gear list
Like?
Except it isn't
In reply to Mephistopheles*, Oct 1, 2013

Mephistopheles* wrote:

Think the reason for the high level of activity in this forum is fairly simple. It is the only DP Review forum whose scope includes all cameras of a certain sensor size rather than being limited to a particular a brand.

Then someone must explain why there are TWO forums for cameras with 4/3 sensors. One for 4/3 SLRs, and another for M4/3 cameras.

So obviously, it isn't the "only forum for that particular sensor size."

So it has more discussion because multiple brands are included, and because it invites debates about the advantages and disadvantages of different classes of camera systems (as defined by sensor size). If there were a single APS-C or full frame forum, I would expect it would be similarly active.

Well... perhaps so. But Samsung DSLR users were perfectly happy using the Pentax DSLR forum, and Panasonic and Leica DSLR users were happy in the Four Thirds DSLR forum too. And Fuji DSLR users were happy to use the Nikon SLR Lens forum, since they shared the same lens mount.

So you see there are other cases where mount style trumps sensor size. There is nothing unique or even new about the M4/3 forum.

 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,914Gear list
Like?
You know, Jere.....
In reply to Jere Landis, Oct 1, 2013

You asked a question and it was answered around 40 times. And some of those were very good answers.

So now you want to whine because some folks went off topic. So you will scold them, and call them juvenile.

But this is what happens on almost every single thread here.

Welcome to Dpreview!

 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Because of threads like this... nt
In reply to Jere Landis, Oct 1, 2013

no text

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,195Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to Big Ga, Oct 2, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

brianric wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

A Q then. Why bother lugging around the very large and very heavy 24-70 when you could use say a 24-85 3.5-4.5 or whatever it is which is a fraction of the size/weight?

BTW - could you answer the above question please.

Why, because I also have a 24-120/4.0, and I personally don't care for variable aperture lenses.

 brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,701Gear list
Like?
Re: You know, Jere.....
In reply to Marty4650, Oct 2, 2013

I think I've been here longer than you.

 Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,701Gear list
Like?
Re: Because of threads like this... nt
In reply to don_van_vliet, Oct 2, 2013

Believe me, I really don't get why these threads have to go completely off topic and end up with all this bickering. There are a lot of "know it alls" on this forum, big egoes, hubris, and on and on.

 Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mephistopheles*
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Or is it?
In reply to Marty4650, Oct 2, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

Mephistopheles* wrote:

Think the reason for the high level of activity in this forum is fairly simple. It is the only DP Review forum whose scope includes all cameras of a certain sensor size rather than being limited to a particular a brand.

Then someone must explain why there are TWO forums for cameras with 4/3 sensors. One for 4/3 SLRs, and another for M4/3 cameras.

So obviously, it isn't the "only forum for that particular sensor size."

So it has more discussion because multiple brands are included, and because it invites debates about the advantages and disadvantages of different classes of camera systems (as defined by sensor size). If there were a single APS-C or full frame forum, I would expect it would be similarly active.

Well... perhaps so. But Samsung DSLR users were perfectly happy using the Pentax DSLR forum, and Panasonic and Leica DSLR users were happy in the Four Thirds DSLR forum too. And Fuji DSLR users were happy to use the Nikon SLR Lens forum, since they shared the same lens mount.

So you see there are other cases where mount style trumps sensor size. There is nothing unique or even new about the M4/3 forum.

Yes, I wasn't aware that the 4/3rds cameras had the same size sensor when I wrote the original post, but it really is beside the point.  This forum is still the only multi-brand forum dedicated to a particular mount/sensor combination, so it is obviously unique.  There is no forum "for 4/3 SLRs"--just forums for particular brands.  The other examples of forums dedicated to particular brands that are also used by users of other brands is obviously different from a forum that is defined by title and scope to include other brands.  And it's obviously not going to attract the type of debates about camera classes that this one does.

 Mephistopheles*'s gear list:Mephistopheles*'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,096Gear list
Like?
Re: Because of threads like this... nt
In reply to Jere Landis, Oct 2, 2013

Jere Landis wrote:

Believe me, I really don't get why these threads have to go completely off topic and end up with all this bickering. There are a lot of "know it alls" on this forum, big egoes, hubris, and on and on.

And then there are people who take great delight and standing above it all and pointing fingers ... patronizing the whole forum in the process.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,914Gear list
Like?
Re: You know, Jere.....
In reply to Jere Landis, Oct 2, 2013

Jere Landis wrote:

I think I've been here longer than you.

You joined Dpreview in April 2007. I joined in May 2005, almost two years earlier.

So.... I have the right to welcome you to Dpreview!

 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,634
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to brianric, Oct 2, 2013

brianric wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

brianric wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

A Q then. Why bother lugging around the very large and very heavy 24-70 when you could use say a 24-85 3.5-4.5 or whatever it is which is a fraction of the size/weight?

BTW - could you answer the above question please.

Why, because I also have a 24-120/4.0, and I personally don't care for variable aperture lenses.

I'm afraid that seems like a nonsensical answer to me. You're complaining about the weight of your FX gear, yet you're saying that you use your 24-70 @f5.6 to f8. Well ... er ... if you set a smaller and lighter lens to say f8 in aperture priority mode, then it might as well be a fixed aperture lens, and its a fraction of the weight!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads