Anyone take the online color test with their calibrated monitors?

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
Pedal2Floor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
Anyone take the online color test with their calibrated monitors?
Sep 27, 2013

This is the test from X-Rite

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

0 is the best score, 100 is the worst. They say

FACT: 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency.
Take the online color challenge, based on the official FM100 Hue Test by X-Rite.

The best I could do was 25 and most of trouble was with the reds.  I killed the blues.

I wonder if this test correlates to your favorite colors as well since you may see them better.

Also, some people seem to see stuff in photos I can never see, wonder if it is the monitor or their vision.

Anyway, it take all of 5min to play with the test, have fun

Pedal2Floor's gear list:Pedal2Floor's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,393Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone take the online color test with their calibrated monitors?
In reply to Pedal2Floor, Sep 27, 2013

I did it on my HP ZR24w IPS monitor, and got a 0 (perfect score). My monitor isn't calibrated, but that shouldn't be entirely relevant since this is a relative color test, not an absolute color test.

I've discussed with some friends the possible effects of using a lesser monitor to take the test, possibly causing worse scores. One person tried on 2 different monitors and got 2 different scores. I suspect that this test is best taken on a decent IPS monitor that is reasonably well set up.

Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?

I took it and got a 7. My sister in law took it and got a zero. Monitor calibrated, but I doubt that makes a difference.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,966Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron AKA, Sep 27, 2013

Managed a 15 which is a fair score for my age?

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
In reply to carl english, Sep 27, 2013

Got a 99... LOL No wonder my photos suck. Now I can blame it on me being a male,  over 60 and a very poor monitor. Never calibrated cheap laptop.

Actually I do not care what so ever. I enjoy the hobby immensely. Never thought I would have a hobby in retirement that was so much fun.

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

www.birdsthatfart.com

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-3 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +1 more
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to carl english, Sep 27, 2013

It was a few weeks ago that I did the test. Tried again today and got the 7 down to a 4. The colours I mix up are in the same right in the middle of the spectrum blue green range, and all adjacent to each other.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,326Gear list
Like?
The calibration does not matter

Pedal2Floor wrote:

This is the test from X-Rite

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

[...]

Also, some people seem to see stuff in photos I can never see, wonder if it is the monitor or their vision.

Anyway, it take all of 5min to play with the test, have fun

The calibration does not matter as the test is relative as stated at the own site from X-Rite. Perhaps for severely bad monitors it would have some impact. Please note the same people can have different scores when making the test several times as he/she can be got the results depending in guessing at different levels.

I suggest you to have the test a few times in the same monitor and try to discover your actual figures for the test.

That is an electronic version from the classical test from (German company) Gretag using printed materials. That kit was popular in Graphics Arts Schools and training centers. Gretag was bought by X-Rite some years ago. I made that test using both, old and the new system.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,501Gear list
Like?

My first go around on a fairly cheap, uncalibrated 24" Samsung work monitor I scored a 4.  Considering that this monitor, based on my experience, has some weird color settings configured that are not ideal for photo editors, I'd say I did pretty well.

I'll be interested to see how well I do on my calibrated 24" HP monitor at home.  At least that one I know doesn't have any "fancy" enhancements turned on that screw with the color palette that play bias to certain hues while muting others.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +22 more
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,685
Like?
In reply to Eric Carlson, Sep 27, 2013

Eric Carlson wrote:

I did it on my HP ZR24w IPS monitor, and got a 0 (perfect score). My monitor isn't calibrated, but that shouldn't be entirely relevant since this is a relative color test, not an absolute color test.

Yikes, well done.

28 here on a decent monitor (calibrated U2412M)

[Edit: 16 on a retake so I think one can improve with practice]

I'm 60 and corrected vision is around 20/30 due to cataracts which I imagine are not helping in this test.

Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033
Like?
In reply to Pedal2Floor, Sep 28, 2013

I scored 12 on an IPS monitor that is so close to sRGB it doesn't benefit from calibration according to 3 reviews.  I'm in one of the older group ranges and my worst area was the sea green/blue area.

Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,204Gear list
Like?
Scored 8
In reply to Pedal2Floor, Sep 29, 2013

Someone else in my group scored 0. I'm bummed.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads