Cancelled my E-M1 order

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Cancelled my E-M1 order
Sep 26, 2013

I got caught up in the hype around the E-M1 - what wasn't to like? - generally favourable reviews, new lenses on the horizon, ability to use my old 4/3 lenses, commitment to m4/3 by Olympus as its future etc etc. At last - Olympus breaks their silence and the world is good.

I read the interview with Mr. Terada (http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/) however, and it left me with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling. I could be reading it wrong and I apologize if I am but my take from it was

1. 4/3 was a failure because it didn't result in measurably smaller camera/lens combinations - M4/3 will correct that.
  2. His target market is the "young generation with a focus on young females"
  3. He can't figure out how to attract European women buyers but he has a couple of thoughts.
  4. M4/3 can almost beat APS-C on image quality but wins on portability ("their lenses are so much bigger than ours")

Right off the bat, I'm at a disadvantage because I'm certainly neither young nor female. I'm also okay that my E-3 and 50-200 is a big piece of gear - it takes good pictures.

This new Olympus has clearly targeted the "grab your gear and go" market. I'm not saying it won't take good pictures because it will as we've clearly seen. What I am saying though is that the Olympus commitment is now on small, portable and discrete - that's not necessarily my world.

You can say "so what? - the proof is in the pictures". That's true and the pictures are impressive but in order to keep the size down the lenses are all software corrected. There will be no big optically correct lens for this camera - the "Pro" line is it. According to Mr. Terada they "promise to establish the MFT lens line-up at the quality of the current PRO line-up". That's interesting since the 12-40 performance seems to be at or slightly above the 4/3 HG 12-60 level (albeit at constant aperture).

I think I'll wait and see how this unfolds. In the meantime I'll take Art_P's advice and look for an E-5. I want the fine focus that Olympus for some unknown reason took off my E-3 

Thanks

Dave

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,790Gear list
Like?
Re: Cancelled my E-M1 order
In reply to dahod, Sep 26, 2013

That's one less buyer in the waiting list in front of me. Thanks for that

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-420 Olympus E-5 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
astone
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, Sep 26, 2013

goblin wrote:

That's one less buyer in the waiting list in front of me. Thanks for that

Two less buyers. I canceled my order of camera and lens at Amazon. Got caught up in the hipe but now I seen no reason to replace my M-5. List is getting shorter for you.--

ABS

astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
AccidntlTourist
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
Sounds like you headed off a case of Buyer's Remorse

But, I suspect you would have really liked that E-M1 - even if it seemed like an impulse purchase.

But, bottom line - you shouldn't make such a purchase unless you really, really want to - otherwise you will always be second guessing your decision.

Before purchasing the E-5, I'd recommend a cooling off period and some more E-M1 research (hopefully including some hands on).

-- hide signature --

Will -

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
I have the opposite concern

Well, I have the opposite concern.  m4/3 getting bigger / heavier.  I didn't order the E-M1, because I switched to the E-P1 a few years ago from the E-30, specifically for the size / weight.  Now there's nothing wrong in having a heavier, pro camera and lens in the line up.  But I don't think m4/3 will win on size alone (except for tele lenses, where there always has been a clear advantage, even in 4/3).  Just look at NEX, and as well as Fuji.  I bet the NEX FF will be impressive size wise.  Heck, look at 35mm OM stuff.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?

dahod wrote:

That's true and the pictures are impressive but in order to keep the size down the lenses are all software corrected.

not all... O75/1.8 or PL45/2.8 are good w/o that, you can take raws to a raw converter like RT or RPP w/o hidden corrections and witness...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +23 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?
Re: I have the opposite concern
In reply to Laszlo13, Sep 27, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

Well, I have the opposite concern. m4/3 getting bigger / heavier.

and that is good... an ideal mirrorless workhorse shall be like E-5 sizewise, GH3 is still too small... as soon as your camera is not a pocketable soapbox anymore there is no need to save few millimiters here and there and make ergonomics worse... and those who need tiny cameras they have pen line, gx line, e-m5 line (and future line below e-m5), gf line, etc... but no, they feel obliged to come and try to take away a normal sized mirorrless bodies from us.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +23 more
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
In reply to dahod, Sep 27, 2013

dahod wrote:

You can say "so what? - the proof is in the pictures". That's true and the pictures are impressive but in order to keep the size down the lenses are all software corrected. There will be no big optically correct lens for this camera - the "Pro" line is it. According to Mr. Terada they "promise to establish the MFT lens line-up at the quality of the current PRO line-up".

I think I'll wait and see how this unfolds. In the meantime I'll take Art_P's advice and look for an E-5. I want the fine focus that Olympus for some unknown reason took off my E-3

Thanks

Dave

The in-camera corrections have me wondering about the "Pro" line of glass. This is the route Panasonic went. But since it doesn't sound like Olympus is dropping the HG & SHG glass, this may be a moot point.

I'd like to see what a E-M10 (say, something like the e30) would look like and whether Olympus will continue to offer the e5. Right now Olympus USA still has the e5 listed and I haven't seen any offered as "factory demo".

There's no good reason for rushing into anything yet as far as I can see...

djbrom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269Gear list
Like?

Does it matter what the head man says about his target audience? If the glove fits, use it. I'm not young nor am u female but I got the em5 for a reason and now the em1 for an even better reason.
Not all lenses re bad or need software correction for obvious flaws. Even 43rd lenses need correction. I don't think you can use that as sole judgement to pass off m43. Some need obvious correction but not all.

The e5 is a great camera but it simply cannot compete with today's sensors and, sadly, with our growing expectations on image quality in more demanding circumstances. I wish I kept mine in a way, but that will be appeased with the better focusing of the 43rd lenses on the em1.
Which ever way you go, enjoy it and use the tools available at the time. :).

djbrom's gear list:djbrom's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +9 more
kuaimen
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

"Cancelled" mine as well, mentally, though - in the beginning I liked it and I was ready to buy it. Then Olympus put the price at $1399 body only. $1399 body only? Yes I have 4/3 lens, yes I like EM1, yes it take pretty good pictures, but with a 4/3 lens attached, EM1 is no longer that small a package any more. EM1+12-40+40-150? At $1399 body only, it's a lot of money! Why don't people look into Canon 6D and similar, and build up the "real" system slowly?

EM1 should have been priced no more than $1199 body only to have a real price advantage against 6D and similar.

If Olympus releases a poor-man's version of EM1 quickly for around half the price, I will stay with them. Otherwise they'll most likely not get my future business. If I get a fat bonus soon, maybe EM1 is still possible. For another while.

dahod wrote:

I got caught up in the hype around the E-M1 - what wasn't to like? - generally favourable reviews, new lenses on the horizon, ability to use my old 4/3 lenses, commitment to m4/3 by Olympus as its future etc etc. At last - Olympus breaks their silence and the world is good.

I read the interview with Mr. Terada (http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/) however, and it left me with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling. I could be reading it wrong and I apologize if I am but my take from it was

1. 4/3 was a failure because it didn't result in measurably smaller camera/lens combinations - M4/3 will correct that.
  3. He can't figure out how to attract European women buyers but he has a couple of thoughts.
  4. M4/3 can almost beat APS-C on image quality but wins on portability ("their lenses are so much bigger than ours")

Right off the bat, I'm at a disadvantage because I'm certainly neither young nor female. I'm also okay that my E-3 and 50-200 is a big piece of gear - it takes good pictures.

This new Olympus has clearly targeted the "grab your gear and go" market. I'm not saying it won't take good pictures because it will as we've clearly seen. What I am saying though is that the Olympus commitment is now on small, portable and discrete - that's not necessarily my world.

You can say "so what? - the proof is in the pictures". That's true and the pictures are impressive but in order to keep the size down the lenses are all software corrected. There will be no big optically correct lens for this camera - the "Pro" line is it. According to Mr. Terada they "promise to establish the MFT lens line-up at the quality of the current PRO line-up". That's interesting since the 12-40 performance seems to be at or slightly above the 4/3 HG 12-60 level (albeit at constant aperture).

Thanks

Dave

Airmel
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, Sep 27, 2013

One step closer to the front of the line for me too...

-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +11 more
dharma108
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,576Gear list
Like?
Yep-less than impressive interview

I was pretty disappointed with what Teradasan said in the interview. Priorities looked way off to me. Instead of talking about wanting to ensure the best IQ and AF/CAF they can possibly attain with m43, he's speaking about wanting to increase the percentage of young female purchasers!

Ah, excuse me--sumimasen Teradasan, more and more me thinks I will be sitting this one out and continue to enjoy the E5.

Next iteration? Hopefully better battery life-dual card slots-and decent to very good CAF.

dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-5 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +26 more
DavidH202
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Yep-less than impressive interview
In reply to dharma108, Sep 27, 2013

dharma108 wrote:

I was pretty disappointed with what Teradasan said in the interview. Priorities looked way off to me. Instead of talking about wanting to ensure the best IQ and AF/CAF they can possibly attain with m43, he's speaking about wanting to increase the percentage of young female purchasers!

Ah, excuse me--sumimasen Teradasan, more and more me thinks I will be sitting this one out and continue to enjoy the E5.

Next iteration? Hopefully better battery life-dual card slots-and decent to very good CAF.

Not going to happen in the next iteration either. Olympus has clearly decided to go amateur all the way. No more pro system wanabe...  just sell decent cameras and lenses to the masses from now on and forget trying to compete with Canikon  and FF

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Swapping the E-3 for an E-5?

Big mistake in my opinion.  Negligible difference in IQ, slightly more MP and highlight headroom and that is really about all.  When I "upgraded" from the E-3, I thought it was a big improvement, but comparing it to what is available now (even to m43) the E-5 IQ is "just ok".

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 813
Like?

You probably would have kept tour preorder if the interview was conducted in Japanese then translated.

If this is your criteria for buying photographic equipment, I wonder how you choose what car to buy.

The em1 or e5 would be the most logical choice for you if you need something other than an e3. If you want better than pro lenses, buy 43rds glass and use a body with phase detect.

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,941Gear list
Like?

dahod wrote:

Thanks

Dave

You based your decision on an interview.  Well that is your choice.

Nothing beats the real deal, running the camera through its paces in your own hands or in the hands of many others, people you trust.

I am not ordering an EM-1 at this time for that very reason, not because of an interview.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-420 +22 more
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
In reply to mapgraphs, Sep 27, 2013

mapgraphs wrote:

I'd like to see what a E-M10 (say, something like the e30) would look like and whether Olympus will continue to offer the e5. Right now Olympus USA still has the e5 listed and I haven't seen any offered as "factory demo".

Also listed as "Out of Stock".

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +17 more
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
In reply to GBC, Sep 27, 2013

GBC wrote:

You probably would have kept tour preorder if the interview was conducted in Japanese then translated.

How do you think the interview would have differed if it had been conducted in Japanese?

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Nikon D2H Nikon D700 +36 more
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
If you change your mind.....

I'm pretty sure the camera will still be available 6 months down the road.   Also a year from now, and probably cheaper by then too.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 813
Like?
In reply to windsprite, Sep 27, 2013

I just get the feeling that he failed to verbalize his thinking as eloquently as he could have if speaking Japanese.

If you really understood how he felt, instead of reading into what he said over dinner in a second language and paraphrased for a blog, it would no longer be an excuse to cancel a preorder and post here about it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads