"Best" lenses for my new GX7?

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,761
Like?
Re: "Best" lenses for my new GX7?
In reply to Joxbox, Sep 27, 2013

I think the new 14-140mm lens is very good, much better than the predecessor. My review of the lens here. I think there is little to lose in terms of image quality when going for this lens, if versatility is what you are going for.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,169Gear list
Like?

Joxbox wrote:

Hi

I just ordered a GX7 with the 20/1,7 and I'm thinking of buying one or two zooms as well.

Been thinking of the very fine 12-35/2,8 and 35-100/2,8 but as we all know those are not very cheap plus they might become too heavy and clumsy to bring along both. Second option in mind is to get only the 14-140 as a compact compliment to my 20/1,7 which will save me some money and weight but the question is if I will go mad with the performance of the 14-140..?

Are there any other good options I have foreseen?

As everybody I like fast but small/light lenses... I'm now looking for the optimal solution for me when it comes to quality vs small/light. I'm trading my D300 with primes and Sony S110 into the GX7 because I believe it will fit my requirements better...

Happy for any input

JA

Though I have the two F2.8 zooms, the 14-140 combined with a fast prime in your favourite focal length makes for a wonderful lightweight but very flexible kit for travel, hillwalking, any scenario where lightweight is a bonus.. I typically take the 14-140 and either the 20mm or the 25mm F1.4 .The Panasonic is a very good performer I would be inclined to go for the Panasonic option, as the OIS is better than the axis IS, and even though the lens mounts are the same I think the same brand lenses work a little better with the same brand body.

If you are looking to try out a cheaper smaller lens while you think about spending the big money { a wise move} the old Panasonic kit lens the 14-45 delivers excellent results and can be picked up used at a bargain price.

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Sep 27, 2013

For less expensive, but good lenses, Pana 14 2.5, Pana 20 1.7, Oly 45 1.8 and Pana 45-150.  For a more expensive selection, Pana 7-14, Pana 12-35, Pana 35-100, Oly 75 1.8, Pana 100-300.  There are other lenses which are very good, but the ones I have listed will cover a reasonable range (in 35mm terms, 14mm to 600mm) and they are all very good.  You may not proceed with Lens Lust.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +17 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to LMNCT, Sep 27, 2013

Whoops, forgot to add the Pana 25 1.4.  That is an excellent lens.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +17 more
Graham Gibson
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?

Maybe think about how often you're willing to change lenses? Decide on an overall kit for what you're apt to shoot. The good news is that most of m4/3 lenses perform well, especially the primes.

I have the 20mm, Olympus 9-18mm, Panasonic 45-200mm, and recently added the Olympus 45mm. This setup covers ultrawide, normal, pretty long telephoto, and portraits. It's pretty comprehensive for most uses. And if I want compact, I go with just the 20mm. The only thing lacking somewhat is macro, though the 20mm can be reversed to serve as a decent macro lens.

-- hide signature --
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, Sep 27, 2013

No point having a small camera if you're going to put big lenses on it. I'd go for the 14 f2.5 and Oly 45 f1.8. They compliment each other, one for general use and one for portraits, close ups.

14, 20 and 45; hey, that's my kit!

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,415Gear list
Like?
Mine will have the 20mm glued to it

The GX7 is kinda the electronic version of the Leica CL, which used a 40mm lens as "standard." The two cameras are even about the same size. I carried around my CL a lot from 1986-1998, almost always with the 40.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax 645D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,547Gear list
Like?

My holiday lenses used to be the 14-140 for general use and the 20/1.7 for when it got darker, however having the two f2.8 zooms that's now a thing of the past, as the step-up from the 14-140 is very considerable. Also the combined weight isn't that much plus they have better stabilisers, which give them a leg-up on the primes. IMHO the 35-100 is overall the best m43 lens by some way, combining flexibility, small size/weight and impressive optics...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +25 more
sabesh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Sep 27, 2013

No point having a small camera if you're going to put big lenses on it. I'd go for the 14 f2.5 and Oly 45 f1.8. They compliment each other, one for general use and one for portraits, close ups.

14, 20 and 45; hey, that's my kit!

12/2, 20/1.7 and 60 macro for me (GX7).
--
Sabesh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabesh/

sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +7 more
Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
"Best" depends on what it's for.

Joxbox wrote:

Hi

I just ordered a GX7 with the 20/1,7 and I'm thinking of buying one or two zooms as well.

Been thinking of the very fine 12-35/2,8 and 35-100/2,8 but as we all know those are not very cheap plus they might become too heavy and clumsy to bring along both. Second option in mind is to get only the 14-140 as a compact compliment to my 20/1,7 which will save me some money and weight but the question is if I will go mad with the performance of the 14-140..?

As everybody I like fast but small/light lenses... I'm now looking for the optimal solution for me when it comes to quality vs small/light. I'm trading my D300 with primes and Sony S110 into the GX7 because I believe it will fit my requirements better...

Happy for any input

JB

You're looking for cheap, light and fast. Those three features are tradeoffs against each other.

What type of shooting do you want to do?

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +3 more
secretworld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026Gear list
Like?
Re: "Best" depends on what it's for.
In reply to Chris Noble, Sep 27, 2013

Just start with the 20mm. I have a PM2 with the 20mm and several other lenses, but I manage to shoot whole vacations with only the 20mm. After a while you will know if/what you really miss, tele or wide. For that I have the 7-14 and 45 f1.8 (and 40-150). But I have no problem with going only with the 20mm. It is a great lens. You get really creative with one lens and just walk a little more.

Just some friendly advice, not a gospel!

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Joxbox
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Chris Noble, Sep 27, 2013

Chris Noble wrote:

Joxbox wrote:

Hi

Happy for any input

JB

You're looking for cheap, light and fast. Those three features are tradeoffs against each other.

What type of shooting do you want to do?

Of course I'm looking for cheap, light and fast and also versatile (which I forgot to mention) but I'm well aware of the contradictions in all these properties and that the perfect lens doesn't exist and probably never will

I like street photographing and more artsy stuff as well as landscape/nature and vacation/family...

Joxbox
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to secretworld, Sep 27, 2013

secretworld wrote:

Just start with the 20mm. I have a PM2 with the 20mm and several other lenses, but I manage to shoot whole vacations with only the 20mm. After a while you will know if/what you really miss, tele or wide. For that I have the 7-14 and 45 f1.8 (and 40-150). But I have no problem with going only with the 20mm. It is a great lens. You get really creative with one lens and just walk a little more.

Just some friendly advice, not a gospel!

Yeah I might do that for some time...

With my D300 I used mostly my 35 and sometimes 85. I used to have a 17-55/2,8 and a 70-200/2,8 but I sold those due to size and weight.

Perhaps I should go for a superzoom and additional 2 new primes with my 20... (who knows

ThePhilips
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?

Joxbox wrote:

I have just gotten myself 12-50 and 45-150 zooms. Both performing pretty well so far.

The 12-50 as a "kit" zoom is rather good, albeit bit expensive and long. But it also can do good close-ups.

The 45-150 was cheap and I like to have a smallish tele lens in the collection. If I'm not shooting people or macro, then it is some tele and this lens should do (if reviews are to be trusted) a decent job. (Plan to take it tomorrow out.)

I also plan to buy the 14mm pancake in the future. But that can wait, since I want to experiment more with the 20mm. I always had hard time liking the 25mm FL (50mm eq), but 20mm seems to be a very good compromise for a walkaround lens: not too wide (like 12mm or 14mm), not too tele (like 25mm or 30mm).

For macro, since I already have it, I would probably stay with my Oly 50mm. The Oly 60mm and Panny 45mm are not cheap enough to justify the trade. For macro, AF speed is not important, and GX7's focus peaking does good job at the moment.

ThePhilips's gear list:ThePhilips's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
ThePhilips
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThePhilips, Sep 27, 2013

ThePhilips wrote:

Joxbox wrote:

I have just gotten myself 12-50 and 45-150 zooms. Both performing pretty well so far.

The 12-50 as a "kit" zoom is rather good, albeit bit expensive and long. But it also can do good close-ups.

The 45-150 was cheap and I like to have a smallish tele lens in the collection. If I'm not shooting people or macro, then it is some tele and this lens should do (if reviews are to be trusted) a decent job. (Plan to take it tomorrow out.)

I also plan to buy the 14mm pancake in the future. But that can wait, since I want to experiment more with the 20mm. I always had hard time liking the 25mm FL (50mm eq), but 20mm seems to be a very good compromise for a walkaround lens: not too wide (like 12mm or 14mm), not too tele (like 25mm or 30mm).

For macro, since I already have it, I would probably stay with my Oly 50mm. The Oly 60mm and Panny 45mm are not cheap enough to justify the trade. For macro, AF speed is not important, and GX7's focus peaking does good job at the moment.

Forgot another (zoom) lens I'm considering: 9-18mm.

Never before I owned a (U)WA and the lens costs here in Germany ~600€, what makes the buying decision rather hard. (But compared to the Panny 7-14 at ~1000€, the 9-18 is really a bargain.)

ThePhilips's gear list:ThePhilips's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
BigGG
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, Sep 28, 2013

honeyiscool wrote:

Just get the 45mm f/1.8. I really can't think of a better "WOW!" enducing lens that's wallet-friendly. When you first start viewing the files you make with the 45mm f/1.8, you will then forget how much you spent on your camera. It's long enough to have a very appealing look, but it's short enough that it's actually more versatile than you might think at first. I don't know, give it a try. It's cheaper than most things.

I have used the 45mm f1.8 on my GX1 to great effectThis s is a picture of my daughter in Beijing last winter.

GaryG 

BigGG's gear list:BigGG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A99 +42 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joxbox, Sep 28, 2013

Joxbox wrote:

Why not indulge yourself with primes then?

The parameters "quality, light and bright" apply to the Panasonic 14, 20, 25, Olympus 17, and 45. The Panasonic 25 and Olympus 75 are a little larger.

Then consider the Panasonic 14-45 zoom, and one of their small zooms.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,914Gear list
Like?
Don't overlook the 45mm f/1.8 lens
In reply to Joxbox, Sep 28, 2013

You will now have the only Panasonic camera with IBIS. You can use this excellent, and affordable, lens to it's full advantage. This would be a great portrait and low light lens for you.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony SLT-A55 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Ultbruin
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joxbox, Oct 24, 2013

I just ordered my GX7 with the 20mm 1.7.  This is my first camera beyond the P&S.

Also looking at the 14-140mm f3.5-5.6.  Seems like a good option for a versatile, second lens.

The new kit lens 14-42mm II f3.5-5.6 also improved over initial kit lens but would seem foolish to add?

Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,737Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ultbruin, Oct 24, 2013

Ultbruin wrote:

I just ordered my GX7 with the 20mm 1.7. This is my first camera beyond the P&S.

Also looking at the 14-140mm f3.5-5.6. Seems like a good option for a versatile, second lens.

The new kit lens 14-42mm II f3.5-5.6 also improved over initial kit lens but would seem foolish to add?

The GX7 + 20mm is a great camera/lens combo, enjoy it!

You could get the new 14-42mm II ($225±) and the 45-150mm ($180±) to cover a bit more range, with better image quality overall and for less money than the new 14-140mm ($700).

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads