Fuji X20 or X100 ....new firmware????

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions
darylmesa
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Fuji X20 or X100 ....new firmware????
Sep 26, 2013

Hello,

I'm a current sony A37 owner and am looking into the possibly of replacing it with a fuji X20.

I have owned and traded cameras from just about every market.

Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, now Sony

No, I don't really enjoy playing leapfrog from company to company, but I do prefer to have what I like and am not loyal to any brand. If fuji makes a camera that fits my needs, then I'll get a fuji and the same for the other companies.

Since I like to shoot with only one lens (preferably a lowlight prime) I've never been to worried about making a jump from one company to the next.

When I went from Nikon d7000 to fuji X100 I was in love...for about 2 months, until the dreaded focussing became to much. My children were pretty much a blur except for posed shots. Other than than I LOVED everything else about the camera.

I tried out the olympus epl3, but never really fell in love with that camera. I like the colors but not the high ISO and not the lack of VF.

Since I liked the evf of the fuji x100 ( never really used the ovf that much, since i prefered the evf "pre-chimp" option) I decided to go with an entry level sony A37 for the dslr (slt) speed and the evf. Though I enjoy the camera I am constantly reminded why I went for the fuji X100 in the 1st place (size, bulk, form) and plus I'm not entirely pleased with A37 evf.

So I have been looking at the X20 (mainly for the fuji colors and vf). Though the X10 is  lot cheaper now and the IQ is nearly the same I don't think I'll be able to handle the zero info in the VF (why I chose the x100 over the X10). Then I saw the "super firmware" update business for the X100 boasting improved AF and MF, but those update mentions have seemed to have disappeared off the planet. Yet my recent issue of "Reponse Photo" talks about the update coming at the beginning of Sept...well that obviously never happened.

I guess I'm asking which would be a better choice the X20 or is there actuallu a AF/MF firmware update for the X100

thanks for any replies

daryl

cprevost
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 or X100 ....new firmware????
In reply to darylmesa, Sep 26, 2013

Dang! Sounds like it doesn't matter as you'll sell it soon anyway... Why not get the x100s?

cprevost's gear list:cprevost's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
darylmesa
Like?
In reply to cprevost, Sep 26, 2013

price! X100s is definately out of my price range

darylmesa
Like?

it's not that I want to resell cameras...but  want a camera that I enjoy and gets out of my way.

Where I live there is one camera shop and a fnac (which NEVER has batteries in the camera) so trying out a camera before buying is not really an option (unless I want a Nikon or Canon).

Felix11
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?

Personally I don't believe the rumours about the soon to be announced X100 firmware.

Firstly, adding focus peaking seems too ambitious. And if they could improve the AF speed why didn't they do it whilst the camera was still available to buy?

Secondly, it makes no business sense to spend development resources on a discontinued model especially when you are releasing X-M1, X-A1, X-E2 at the same time. No company has unlimited development resources.

Felix11's gear list:Felix11's gear list
Ricoh GR
darylmesa
Like?

As I mentioned before I would happily go back to an x100 (being my favorite camera except for focus) if they fixed the focus in the so called new firmware

darylmesa
Like?

that's what I'm afraid of...

hence my intrigue into the x20

I mainly shoot jpegs anyway (son no real unlocking full aps-c sensor  from RAW potential)

BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?

darylmesa wrote:

Hello,

I'm a current sony A37 owner and am looking into the possibly of replacing it with a fuji X20.

Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, now Sony

No, I don't really enjoy playing leapfrog from company to company, but I do prefer to have what I like and am not loyal to any brand. If fuji makes a camera that fits my needs, then I'll get a fuji and the same for the other companies.

Since I like to shoot with only one lens (preferably a lowlight prime) I've never been to worried about making a jump from one company to the next.

When I went from Nikon d7000 to fuji X100 I was in love...for about 2 months, until the dreaded focussing became to much. My children were pretty much a blur except for posed shots. Other than than I LOVED everything else about the camera.

I tried out the olympus epl3, but never really fell in love with that camera. I like the colors but not the high ISO and not the lack of VF.

Since I liked the evf of the fuji x100 ( never really used the ovf that much, since i prefered the evf "pre-chimp" option) I decided to go with an entry level sony A37 for the dslr (slt) speed and the evf. Though I enjoy the camera I am constantly reminded why I went for the fuji X100 in the 1st place (size, bulk, form) and plus I'm not entirely pleased with A37 evf.

So I have been looking at the X20 (mainly for the fuji colors and vf). Though the X10 is lot cheaper now and the IQ is nearly the same I don't think I'll be able to handle the zero info in the VF (why I chose the x100 over the X10). Then I saw the "super firmware" update business for the X100 boasting improved AF and MF, but those update mentions have seemed to have disappeared off the planet. Yet my recent issue of "Reponse Photo" talks about the update coming at the beginning of Sept...well that obviously never happened.

I guess I'm asking which would be a better choice the X20 or is there actuallu a AF/MF firmware update for the X100

thanks for any replies

daryl

Hi Daryl,

I think you are comparing apple to oranges a bit. The Fuji x20 is a nice camera (I have one......replaced my x10) and I am very happy with it.

The main reason I replaced the x10 was because of the much faster and accurate focus and much sharper pictures because of no anti aliasing filter on the x20. It is noticeably sharper than the x10.

However you really can't compare the x20 to the x100 as far as picture quality especially at high iso's. The x100 is MUCH better because of the bigger sensor.

For myself if I need a very compact camera to take anywhere I use the x20. If I need a step up in quality I use my Sony Nex 6 (which would be similar to the Fuji x100).

Of course if I need ultimate quality I use my Canon 1DX!

My point is I would not really consider the x20 as REPLACING the X100 but more as a compliment TO the x100.

I actually purchased the x20 because I found the Nex 6 a little too slow to focus on fast moving kids (like your problem with the x100).

For a high quality "snap shot" take everywhere type camera the Fuji x20 is perfect.

It can't however replace the quality of the files I get from the Nex 6.......especially at high iso's.

I believe you would end up ultimately being disappointed with the x20 if you are used the high quality files of the x100.

You would kind of be trading one problem (slow focus on the x100) for another (lower quality files of the x20).

By the way I only shoot raw.

Just something to think about.

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
darylmesa
Like?
In reply to BRUCEK56, Sep 26, 2013

i think i agree with you. i definately don't want to convince myself into the fuji x20, because a know it is not a mini x100 .  Just food for thought, but any ideas on oly epm2 (from what i've seen of the em5 images this could be another option) But then comes the vf issue

Nastavnik
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
In reply to darylmesa, Sep 27, 2013

Hi Daryl

I think as the poster above, that x20 and x100 are so different (except for the looks) that they evolve in different worlds. I have both (upgraded to the X100s), but I must say, there is no comparison.

I bought the X20 because I was a bit worried at the idea of taking the brand new X100s to the beach. X20 at less than half the price was intended for those sunny and dangerous situations.

I quickly realised that except in good light where iso 100, 200 were possible, the image quality is really altogether inferior. I am not saying it is bad bad bad. Just I got used to the IQ of the X100, and was a bit surprised at how fast the files degraded in low light (interior, anything above iso 500 in color, a lot more tolerance in BW though). However for "normal" small prints, the files printed very nicely.

So in the end it all depends on your needs. I used the X100 for 2 years with only the first FW upgrade. I used to prefocus or MF with the afl button, and had some great photos (I admit though that back then my daughter didn't move around). In interiors I find the X20 to be a bit out of its league. (it is a bit dark in my appartment). Again, it all dpends on your usage and final intention for the photos:

- If interiors and wathching them on screen or bigger prints that may need some PP, then I think the X100 to be the better choice.

- If outside in good light, small prints, need of zoom and quicker AF (though not infallible, specially if subject is not far away and using the ovf : the parallax may make it harder to focus accuratelly, while the X100 is "corrected" for that, and you have the evf for critical situations), then the x20 may fit that bill

Indoors, I tend to only use the X20 with the efx20 flash on a cable, handheld, and bounce it around. The X100s can make the same thing, but without the flash (which is not to say "always better" --- sometimes a good bounce will give far better results than stretching the camera's possibilities/capacities too much).

they do compliment each other well, but if I had to keep only one, it would be the X100/X100s. There is no question about that. The X100 Af may not be the fastest out there (or in competition to be the slowest , I don't know) but I do know that it is faster than me trying to MF, and in the end that is my final reference: so it is a progress. (not to mention people had incredible shots (action shots) with MF cameras , so I guess it is possible --- the photo of the  punch Ali gave Foreman comes to mind)

cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
In reply to BRUCEK56, Sep 27, 2013

BRUCEK56 wrote:

darylmesa wrote:

Hello,

So I have been looking at the X20 (mainly for the fuji colors and vf). Though the X10 is lot cheaper now and the IQ is nearly the same I don't think I'll be able to handle the zero info in the VF (why I chose the x100 over the X10). Then I saw the "super firmware" update business for the X100 boasting improved AF and MF, but those update mentions have seemed to have disappeared off the planet. Yet my recent issue of "Reponse Photo" talks about the update coming at the beginning of Sept...well that obviously never happened.

thanks for any replies

daryl

Hi Daryl,

I think you are comparing apple to oranges a bit. The Fuji x20 is a nice camera (I have one......replaced my x10) and I am very happy with it.

The main reason I replaced the x10 was because of the much faster and accurate focus and much sharper pictures because of no anti aliasing filter on the x20. It is noticeably sharper than the x10.

However you really can't compare the x20 to the x100 as far as picture quality especially at high iso's. The x100 is MUCH better because of the bigger sensor.

For myself if I need a very compact camera to take anywhere I use the x20. If I need a step up in quality I use my Sony Nex 6 (which would be similar to the Fuji x100).

My point is I would not really consider the x20 as REPLACING the X100 but more as a compliment TO the x100.

I actually purchased the x20 because I found the Nex 6 a little too slow to focus on fast moving kids (like your problem with the x100).

For a high quality "snap shot" take everywhere type camera the Fuji x20 is perfect.

It can't however replace the quality of the files I get from the Nex 6.......especially at high iso's.

I believe you would end up ultimately being disappointed with the x20 if you are used the high quality files of the x100.

You would kind of be trading one problem (slow focus on the x100) for another (lower quality files of the x20).

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

I am also a NEX 6 owner and was thinking about getting and X20 (A, 'to have with me at all times camera')

But I keep hearing about smearing of images, poor raw files etc etc. I currently use a canon S100 as my 'pocket camera' and was looking to improve upon that really as it's getting a little tired.

Not so sure about the X20 now

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Sep 27, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

BRUCEK56 wrote:

darylmesa wrote:

Hello,

thanks for any replies

daryl

Hi Daryl,

For myself if I need a very compact camera to take anywhere I use the x20. If I need a step up in quality I use my Sony Nex 6 (which would be similar to the Fuji x100).

My point is I would not really consider the x20 as REPLACING the X100 but more as a compliment TO the x100.

For a high quality "snap shot" take everywhere type camera the Fuji x20 is perfect.

I believe you would end up ultimately being disappointed with the x20 if you are used the high quality files of the x100.

You would kind of be trading one problem (slow focus on the x100) for another (lower quality files of the x20).

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

I am also a NEX 6 owner and was thinking about getting and X20 (A, 'to have with me at all times camera')

But I keep hearing about smearing of images, poor raw files etc etc. I currently use a canon S100 as my 'pocket camera' and was looking to improve upon that really as it's getting a little tired.

Hi,

Please don't sell the Fuji x20 short........it is an excellent camera. It just is not a large sensor camera.

I love the x20 and it is now my "carry everywhere" camera. If you are used to the Canon s100 the Fuji x20 will seem HUGE by comparison.

I would not really consider the x20 "pocketable" at least not in the pants pocket. The canon s100 is (I had the canon s95).

I use the x20 with a small belt loop bag.

If you want somewhat comparable quality as the Nex 6 AND the small size of the s100 you might want to look at the Sony DSC-RX100.

My problem with the Sony RX100 is the very slow lens on the long end.

I have had no issues with smearing on the x20 that you mention. However any iso above 800 will have quite a bit of noise in the raw files that does take a lot of post processing to make useable.......and not nearly as good as the Nex 6.

I do not like the jpg quality at all on the x20 above 800 iso so using raw is a must.

The jpg quality on the x20 from 100 to 800 is superb and you may not even need to use raw.

Bottom line is you can't make a small sensor camera equal a large sensor one. There are always compromises.

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Ray3rd
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to BRUCEK56, Sep 27, 2013

Fuji X20 has a zoom lens. Not a huge zoom, but a decent zoom. The Fuji x100 has a fixed lens. A very good lens by the way. I chose the x20 and have never looked back ! It is now my carry everywhere camera.

Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Sep 29, 2013

Can I just say that I'm so glad I bought my X20 before joining this forum!

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads