Canon SX50 vs Fuji HS30 vs Panasonic DMC-FZ72

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions
wijcc
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Canon SX50 vs Fuji HS30 vs Panasonic DMC-FZ72
Sep 26, 2013

Hello all... i am after a big zoom bridge camera.. the FZ200 has too little zoom for me. Which out of these three (Canon SX50, Fuji HS30 & Panasonic DMC-FZ7) is best for me.. i am going on safari?

Thanks in advance guys

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon SX50 vs Fuji HS30 vs Panasonic DMC-FZ72
In reply to wijcc, Sep 27, 2013

Any of them would be a good choice. I suggest handling them and choose based on ergonomics and how you like the placement of the controls and the layout of the menus. Their image quality and overall quality are more or less equal.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wijcc
Like?
Re: Canon SX50 vs Fuji HS50 vs Panasonic DMC-FZ72
In reply to mgd43, Sep 27, 2013

i posted on another forum... what these 3 cameras where slated compared to the FZ200. Is that becuase these people are biased or does their argument(s) hold merit?

And i also put the wrong model number in my initial post... it is the Fuji HS50 and not the HS30 i was comparing.

The difference between the FZ200 and the rest is night and day.
Ignore the marketing garbage that the companies pedal to try and sell the cameras, they don't tell anything like the full story.

On the miniature sensors that bridge cameras have keeping the ISO as low as possible is absolutely crucial to retain anything like decent image quality.
Also at the stupidly ridiculous zooms that bridge cameras offer keeping the shutter as fast as possible is also crucial to avoid camera shake, both of these mean getting as much light to sensor as possible.

As I stated previously the SX50 is already at f5.6 at 180mm, which means the FZ200 can let FOUR times more light in at 600mm than the SX50 at 180mm, at 600mm the SX50 is at f6.3 and the FZ200 is letting FIVE times more light in.
Honestly their is no consideration or competition if the FZ200 falls into your budget.

FZ200 is 600mm at f/2.8, this is good
SX50 is f6.3 at 1200mm, waste of time
DMC-FZ72 is 1200mm, but at 1200mm it seems to be f/8 if I'm reading this correctly! - That turns a shot taken at f/2.8 at 1/500th of a second right down to 1/60th and it would be unusable.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?

wijcc wrote:

i posted on another forum... what these 3 cameras where slated compared to the FZ200. Is that becuase these people are biased or does their argument(s) hold merit?

And i also put the wrong model number in my initial post... it is the Fuji HS50 and not the HS30 i was comparing.

The difference between the FZ200 and the rest is night and day.
Ignore the marketing garbage that the companies pedal to try and sell the cameras, they don't tell anything like the full story.

On the miniature sensors that bridge cameras have keeping the ISO as low as possible is absolutely crucial to retain anything like decent image quality.
Also at the stupidly ridiculous zooms that bridge cameras offer keeping the shutter as fast as possible is also crucial to avoid camera shake, both of these mean getting as much light to sensor as possible.

As I stated previously the SX50 is already at f5.6 at 180mm, which means the FZ200 can let FOUR times more light in at 600mm than the SX50 at 180mm, at 600mm the SX50 is at f6.3 and the FZ200 is letting FIVE times more light in.
Honestly their is no consideration or competition if the FZ200 falls into your budget.

FZ200 is 600mm at f/2.8, this is good
SX50 is f6.3 at 1200mm, waste of time
DMC-FZ72 is 1200mm, but at 1200mm it seems to be f/8 if I'm reading this correctly! - That turns a shot taken at f/2.8 at 1/500th of a second right down to 1/60th and it would be unusable.

The poster you quoted is quite correct.

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Sep 27, 2013

It's not that simple. The FZ200 has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths. This means that you can shoot at high shutter speeds with lower ISO's than with cameras with slower lenses. You can also shoot with lower ISO's in low light. This is important because bridge cameras have small sensors that do not do well at high ISO's.

On the other hand the FZ200 goes to 600mm at the long end while the others go to 1000mm or more. Even though these cameras are slow at 1000mm they are stabilized so you can use them in good light. If you use a tripod, you can use them in lower light. The FZ200 is also more expensive than the others.

My advice is to get the FZ200 if you can afford it, unless you feel that you really need the extra reach of the 1000mm lens. If the extra cost is a problem, any of the other cameras you listed will be fine. Most of your shooting will probably be done at shorter focal lengths where you don't need as high shutter speeds and the difference in lens speed is not as important.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
wijcc
Like?
In reply to mgd43, Sep 27, 2013

i am a basic photographer, a point and shoot type of guy. Only really take pics when on holiday or special occasions.
I do not edit pics.. just take pics (jpegs) and store them. Never used photoshop, lightroom or any other editing programs.
With such a big bulky camera i will probably only use occasionally like here on safari, as it not a camera that you can fit in your pocket. I have a samsung wb690 already. Would i be better off getting a better pocketable camera like Canon SX280, Panasonic TZ40 or Nikon S9500 which i am likely to use more often instead of the FZ200??
So many decisions to make...and i am not good making decisions

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227
Like?

The sensors in "travel zoom" compacts are usually the same as in "bridge" cameras so there is seldom a significant picture quality difference. The Fujifilm X-S1 is an exception but is correspondingly heavier.

Have a look on flickr.com to see which model's picture quality you like best. Pictures of animals are often cropped. Colour differs between brands.

The Fujifilm F900EXR, Panasonic ZS30 / TZ40 and Canon SX280 are reasonable options for travel zoom compacts. The Casios can be good but it's difficult to find information about them as availability and sales are very low.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads