For Sony A58 and A65 Owners

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
George Evans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584
Like?
For Sony A58 and A65 Owners
11 months ago

I'm in need of some advice from owners of the A58 and A65. I own the Sony A77 but I'm not overly familiar with these two cameras.

My brother in law has asked for my advice on buying a Nikon D3200 for his wife for Christmas as her first camera. His budget is £750 with kit lens and a zoom lens. All I know about Nikon cameras is that this one sports a 24mp sensor similar to the A77.

I advised him to choose his brand of camera to buy into first before choosing the model and told him the advantages of the Sony system, IBIS, EVF, etc and he now wants to know which Sony I'd recommend.

At present there's only the A58, A65 and A77 in the APS-C lineup and I'd readily recommend the A77 except for his budget. This leaves the A58 and A65. Any major drawbacks that I should know about with both cameras and which would you recommend out of the two?

thanks,

George Evans
www.gwevansphotography.com

Nikon D3200 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
Re: For Sony A58 and A65 Owners
In reply to George Evans, 11 months ago

The A65 is a very nice camera, essentially an A77 in most ways. It's a bit on the expensive side though compared to the D3200, but cheaper than the D5200 and offers a comparable feature set. The A58 doesn't have as nice a screen or VF, although the D3200 is awful too. It also gets the 16 MP sensor, which is a very solid chip and more manageable in terms of data (more photos on a card, less space on a computer and easier to edit). The Nikon will do a bit better at high ISO but the Sonys are basically more capable cameras in every way.

I had a D3100 briefly. I didn't find it to be an appealing camera. The tiny viewfinder really makes things uncomfortable.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crupp
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

I tried all the mentioned cameras and ended up with the A65. The Nikon, though nice, just came up short on the video, FPS, and LCD, not to mention the lag on the LCD. For me, the A58 just did not feel right in my hand, the lower resolution LCD and lack of movement on the LCD where deal breakers for me. I 've had the A65 for a short period of time and have much to learn but have been very happy with the pics I can get. I bought the body only and an 18-135 (from KEH) and won't look back.

grgi
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

I don't know too much about the A65, I can just tell you something about my A58.

First, the main concern of many people against the A58: It has a plastic mount. To be precise: only the ring on the outside is made from plastic, the mount itself that is holding the lens is made of metal. My opinion: It is a non-issue. I'm changing my 4 lenses a lot, and I don't see any abrasion so far.

Second, the camera is really user friendly for both beginners and experienced users. Good ergonomics, lightweight, good to customize. It's the first cameras since I'm buying digital cameras that my wife doesn't criticizes to be too bulky, awkward to use, hard to understand, etc, pp. Far from it, we have discussions who can have the cam this afternoon, this hike...

Third, it takes really awesome photos IF, well, if you don't use the kit lens. This lens is not really bad.  But, well, it's just not good enough for the camera. That is even worse because you can't buy the A58 without the kit lens. I'd suggest to buy (as I did) the CZ 16-80 - absolutely perfect combo, but the lens itself costs more than 700 bucks...

Maybe there are alternatives. I heard that the 18-135 should be quite reasonable.

Regards

grgi

DaPonti
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
In reply to grgi, 11 months ago

Having tried both, the a65 is a clear step up (also in terms of bulk I think, so to be tried). The EVF, especially, is a winner. I really like the EVF of the a58 (biggest pro for me with iq) but the a65's is just better. It felt bigger to me.

overall it comes down to how much he values additional features such as the electronic level and GPS. I'd love to have them but here the price difference was too big: a58 + 3 lenses cost me less than a65 body only.

Looking at UK prices on amazon, I can see a58 kit at 320, a65 body at 510, a65 kit at 580. Plenty of margin for a telephoto.
With the price difference between a58 and a65, you can probably get a tamron 17-50. Unless he can consider second hand bodies, I think that's a good combo.

DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Pixelmator Chameleon
DaPonti
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaPonti, 11 months ago

One thing I forgot. The a58 can be tethered, which is great with a static setup, but on the other hand it has no infrared receiver, meaning no wirelesss remote. Its my biggest complain about it and I was quite disappointed.

DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Pixelmator Chameleon
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?

I had an a58 for awhile but it had focusing issues(backfocus). I have had an a100 then loved the a55 till it called it quits on me.  Knowing you would recommend an a77 the a65 is just as capable of stellar iq as the a77..
I now have had an a65 and though I am new to it coming from the a55 I will share what I know(or at think I do)ha ha

Gps /ten frames a second and every lens I have has never needed an adjustment ..on any alpha.  It really depends on the other features..weather-sealing focus adjustment and the like. There is nothing image wise that the a65 cannot do the a77 does.

The a58 is a very good camera for iq/decent noise control /good jpeg engine but its slower in shutter response and lacks the feature set of an a65/a55.

Either is a great imager..the a58 a bit more forgiving high iso shooting..but that's not where iq is best anyway.  If she is serious about photography and wants better iq with somewhat more thought and effort I would recommend an a65.   If she wants  very good iq with less thought(auto mode) then I would recommend the a58.  I liked the a58 but the a65 is a step above unless you shoot or plan on shooting mostly 800-3200 iso.

I have been very satisfied with up to 1600iso a65 jpegs and I am very critical of iq. Hope this helps-brian

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423Gear list
Like?
In reply to brian14478, 11 months ago

The main differences are

• A65v vs A58
  • 24MP vs 20MP
  • 10FPS vs 5FPS
  • 1080p60 vs 1080p30
  • 3.0" LCD vs 2.7" LCD
  • Full articulation vs Vertical only LCD
  • 921K dot LCD vs 460K dot  LCD
  • 2400k dot EVF vs 1440K dot EVF
  • iISO Flashmount vs Not good Flashmount

The A65 is the better camera.   BUT the A58 is a good camera too, you would be saving a couple hundred dollars by buying the A58.  So its up to you and your friend to decide.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
In reply to tqlla, 11 months ago

George

The only thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that the A65 seems to be being phased out so I don't know how much longer it will be available ?

Of the Sony range the A58 + 18-135 sounds like a good starter camera and very budget friendly BUT would you recommend it (or anything for that matter)  to a family member ? If they want to buy Nikon let them, keep out of the discussion other than general terms eg lens choice, if you can - you know what families are like I'm sure  !!

A bit negative but meant in a helpful way !!

Good luck

RT

George Evans
Like?
Re: Thank you for your replies

Thanks for your replies and advice. I'll pass on your advice to my brother in law and let him decide.

George Evans

Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?

George Evans wrote:

Thanks for your replies and advice. I'll pass on your advice to my brother in law and let him decide.

George Evans

Keep in mind that is a camera for a woman. and most of the time they are interested for camera what is light weight and easy top use, and for this reasons, a good choice too, would be the A37 what have most of the interesting features of higher models embedded, and hassle  free! Moreover, shoots are very well satured in- camera, what tell to me that absolutely no PP is required if correctly ETTR. Last but not least, the choice of lenses is easier since the 16 MP sensor is not as much deceptive with entry level lenses. Then you can use the price différence to afford the Sony 16-50mm F/2.8 or the Tamron equivalent, and getting a dream combo!

Regards,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
George Evans
Like?
In reply to Michel J, 11 months ago

Thanks Michel

George Evans

PhotoCycler
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
In reply to brian14478, 8 months ago

The a58 is a very good camera for iq/decent noise control /good jpeg engine but its slower in shutter response and lacks the feature set of an a65/a55.

A58 has slow shutter response???  That totally contradicts the imaging-resource review which tested the shutter response to be very fast and posted the benchmarks in their review.  How do you square your comment with their test results?

Ironically, the A55 is the one I have read so much feedback in the past regarding its terrible shutter lag when using flash.

PhotoCycler
Like?
In reply to DaPonti, 8 months ago

DaPonti wrote:

One thing I forgot. The a58 can be tethered, which is great with a static setup, but on the other hand it has no infrared receiver, meaning no wirelesss remote. Its my biggest complain about it and I was quite disappointed.

I hear you! I thought I was the only one who felt that way because that is the one thing that keeps getting left out of people's "disadvantages" list regarding the A58.

Seeing that the A58 shortcomings commented on that concerned me at all were the smaller lower quality LCD, no 1080/60, slow burst rates & burst cache, which weren't high priorities for me, while hearing about the A58's better viewfinder, higher resolution, better JPEG quality, longer battery life, more quiet shutter, and faster shutter lag, which were more important to me than the disadvantages I mentioned, it all sounded so marvelous that it actually got me thinking about buying one and selling the A57, because on balance, I liked the sound of the A58 more for my use than the A57 when looking at the advantages of one vs. the other.

Then I found out I would have to buy a $25 adapter to use my nice 3600HS flash. Oh well, I wasn't happy about it, but $25 wasn't going to ruin things for me... still worth the change to A58.

Then I found out the A58 didn't have infrared wireless remote support, nor did it support my wired programmable remote or my long cabled wired shutter release.

I had purchased 2 of the wireless remote transmitters because I liked that capability so much with the A57. This effectively kills the deal for me on the A58.

PhotoCycler
Like?
In reply to tqlla, 8 months ago

tqlla wrote:

The main differences are

• A65v vs A58
  • 24MP vs 20MP
  • 10FPS vs 5FPS
  • 1080p60 vs 1080p30
  • 3.0" LCD vs 2.7" LCD
  • Full articulation vs Vertical only LCD
  • 921K dot LCD vs 460K dot LCD
  • 2400k dot EVF vs 1440K dot EVF
  • iISO Flashmount vs Not good Flashmount

The A65 is the better camera. BUT the A58 is a good camera too, you would be saving a couple hundred dollars by buying the A58. So its up to you and your friend to decide.

You left out the biggest difference to me, which killed the A58 for me.

infrared wireless remote support vs. no infrared wireless remote support

Then there's:

compatibility with existing wired remote releases and programmable remotes vs. not

On the plus side:

Despite new flash mount, Minolta flashes "can" work, but you have to buy an adapter - about $25

It looks like the A58 has less image noise, even less than the A57 when compensating for resolution.

I read that the A58 has a quieter shutter than the A57/A65

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,434Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoCycler, 8 months ago

How did you find this long dead thread and why did you resurrect it?

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
PhotoCycler
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 8 months ago

tbcass wrote:

How did you find this long dead thread and why did you resurrect it?

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

Greetings tbcass.  I remember you as a staunch supporter of the A65.

I found this thread because I was searching for some information about the A58.  And I resurrected it mainly because of the comment in this thread about the poor shutter response, which contradicted the imaging resource review, and I wanted to respond to that and see if I could get a little more detail about why he thought that.

With some of the A58 package deals available for good prices, this thread had some good info that might interest others looking into it as a result.  Plus, I felt I had something to add.  And after all, it's only a new months old, not a few years. 

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,434Gear list
Like?

PhotoCycler wrote:

Greetings tbcass. I remember you as a staunch supporter of the A65.

Yes and I still am.

I found this thread because I was searching for some information about the A58. And I resurrected it mainly because of the comment in this thread about the poor shutter response, which contradicted the imaging resource review, and I wanted to respond to that and see if I could get a little more detail about why he thought that.

With some of the A58 package deals available for good prices, this thread had some good info that might interest others looking into it as a result. Plus, I felt I had something to add. And after all, it's only a new months old, not a few years.

I recently sold my A55 and bought an A77 because it now costs only $800. I'd rather have a high end older model than a bottom of the line newer one. Compared to the A65/77 the A55 viewfinder is inferior, video overheats in hot weather, Flash performance is sluggish and it's a bit too small. Other than that it was a good camera and served me well for 3 years.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
PhotoCycler
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 8 months ago

tbcass wrote:

PhotoCycler wrote:

Yes and I still am.

I found this thread because I was searching for some information about the A58. And I resurrected it mainly because of the comment in this thread about the poor shutter response, which contradicted the imaging resource review, and I wanted to respond to that and see if I could get a little more detail about why he thought that.

With some of the A58 package deals available for good prices, this thread had some good info that might interest others looking into it as a result. Plus, I felt I had something to add. And after all, it's only a new months old, not a few years.

I recently sold my A55 and bought an A77 because it now costs only $800. I'd rather have a high end older model than a bottom of the line newer one.

Congrats.  I thought the A77 looked like a big beast and was too much for me, but I liked its features.

brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?

PhotoCycler wrote:

I fit helps I had the a58 and returned it for backfocussing problems. The first copy backfocussed with every lens I had. The second would be a 'hit/miss' with a faster zoom-75-200 2.8/3.5.

I loved my a55 and am probably getting another as a back-up to my current a65. Compared to the a55, the a58 was less responsive off the shutter...that I can testify to absolutely.

Its not pokey, but the a55 was definitely more responsive. I liked the jpeg engine and the straight out of camera jpegs on the a58 but not as much as the a55 or current a65. A55 and a65 images have a more 'realistic' fuller looking image to them. Possibly its the a58 oversharpening default jpegs? and could be tweak by leaving sharpening at zero or -1 even(I kept my at +1 I think)

Truly after having the a65/a55, the a58 just wasn't cutting the mustard- It felt 'off' in many ways even if it was capable of great images. The autofocus was inconsistant with fast lenses even with contrast in the scene.  If the a55 isn't workable for you and you were considering it-Trust me if you shot with an a57 you will regret not getting an a65/a77 over an a58*.

****unless you shoot 800+ iso often...then well I cannot recommend much of anything except an a99/a580..

a55/a65 and an a58 shot-Welcome back-brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads