Official statement on Sony A-mount future...

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,970
Like?
Official statement on Sony A-mount future...
Sep 26, 2013

Caught this from the Sony Alpha Rumors website this morning:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support. I understand that your concern is regarding the A-mount being replaced by the E-mount system. The A-mount units have always been the flagship ever since the release of the very first Sony Alpha camera. Much like the Single Lens Translucent (SLT) technology, the E-mount system is an innovation, introduced to further expand our interchangeable lens line, and in no way a replacement for the A-mount system. Rest assured thatwe will further develop the A-mount system together with the E-mount, introducing new technology and upgrading features. We will continue to expand our lens and accessory selection, as well as better the functions of the cameras to adapt to our customers growing needs and wants. We currently do not have advanced information on the release of cameras, lenses and accessories, as well as software and firmware updates. Sony Electronics only releases full product and support information at the same time it is officially released to the marketplace by our Marketing Department. However, some limited advanced information is often published in various magazine articles. You may also check the Sony Support and Sony Store website below for news and updates in the future.

Official newsbit

-- hide signature --

This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Simao
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Re: Official statement on Sony A-mount future...
In reply to JohnBee, Sep 26, 2013

If almost everyone is thinking or at least arguing that the a-mount is dying why wouldn't they let me buy a used a99 off ebay at a reasonable price? the other day I was bidding for a used one and it reached 1500£ (2400USD), a new one can be bought from ebay at around 1740£. I mean no one would pay this amount of money for a camera that belongs to a system that is supposed to be in its last days!

Simao's gear list:Simao's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eastbayrae
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?

JohnBee wrote:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support. I understand that your concern is regarding the A-mount being replaced by the E-mount system. The A-mount units have always been the flagship ever since the release of the very first Sony Alpha camera. Much like the Single Lens Translucent (SLT) technology, the E-mount system is an innovation, introduced to further expand our interchangeable lens line, and in no way a replacement for the A-mount system. Rest assured thatwe will further develop the A-mount system together with the E-mount, introducing new technology and upgrading features. We will continue to expand our lens and accessory selection, as well as better the functions of the cameras to adapt to our customers growing needs and wants. We currently do not have advanced information on the release of cameras, lenses and accessories, as well as software and firmware updates. Sony Electronics only releases full product and support information at the same time it is officially released to the marketplace by our Marketing Department. However, some limited advanced information is often published in various magazine articles. You may also check the Sony Support and Sony Store website below for news and updates in the future.

Official newsbit

-- hide signature --

This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Anyone believing otherwise is fooling themselves.

-- hide signature --

Marine math: 1 shot = 12 kills.

eastbayrae's gear list:eastbayrae's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony SLT-A99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye +3 more
don1jam
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?

JohnBee wrote:

Official newsbit

-- hide signature --

Official or not, their actions speak otherwise. All there recent efforts have focused on developing the E mount system. They never had the capacity to fully develop the lens portfolio for the A mount, or gain significant market share with the A mount. it's only going to get worse as they focus their resources on the E mount.

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,436Gear list
Like?

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Someone on the SAR web site, in one of the comments, made what I thought was an intriguing point. In Social Psychology we talk about a phenomenon known as "when belief creates reality". An example would be something like this: we go to a party expecting a certain person to be shy and unfriendly. These expectations we have create subtle biases in the way we respond to that person (i body language for example) and the way we process that persons actions and remember them. Lo and behold we indeed find that person to be shy and unfriendly. Yet we remain oblivious to the fact that we played a part in making our belief create the reality - the other person picked up our non-verbal and other cues, which would be cold because we expected him to beunfriendly, this makes him respond in an unfriendly way, etc., etc. It happens in all sorts of areas of life.

What's this got to do with the issue at hand? Well one poster on the SAR thread made the point that if we all go around singing doom and gloom about the future of the alpha mount, this might (a) detract new potential converts to the mount and (b) create a degree of panic amongst a mount users that might make some defect. The rather ironic net result of all this could be a defection of folks from the a mount that might ultimatey lead Sony to wish to stop supporting it, even if at present they had no intention to do so. So you see, another ezample of the belief eventually creating the reality. Interesting !

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,301Gear list
Like?

JohnBee wrote:

Official newsbit

-- hide signature --

We currently do not have advanced information on the release of cameras, lenses

I think that qualifier may negate the whole statement.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,473
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Sep 26, 2013

Agreed. I have long called it an attempt at self-fulfilling prophecy. The only question remains, is whether it's consciously or subconsciously.

Poulsan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, Sep 26, 2013

steelhead3 wrote:

JohnBee wrote:

Official newsbit

-- hide signature --

We currently do not have advanced information on the release of cameras, lenses

I think that qualifier may negate the whole statement.

This is an example of what TrojMacReady wrote about in one of the replies above. You are picking out a string of text and leaving out the part which explains WHY they haven't advanced information. 'Sony Electronics only releases full product and support information at the same time it is officially released to the marketplace by our Marketing Department.'  As I see it, this is Sony's policy, not that they don't have plans, they just choose to keep silent about it. Then one can be happy with that or not.

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Sep 26, 2013

TrojMacReady wrote:

Agreed. I have long called it an attempt at self-fulfilling prophecy. The only question remains, is whether it's consciously or subconsciously.

The Sony A58 and the expensive A99 were self fulfilling prophecies. The A58 has a plastic mount, lower FPS video, lower FPS pictures, low resolution screen... etc. You cant find it in a National chain. Canons on the other hand can be found at Walmart, target, bestbuy... etc

The A99, while a great camera.. has lower FPS and resolution than most of us thought it would, and is priced next to the Nikon D800.

Those are the last two Amounts, and the A58 probably missed expectations. The other News....Sony delays the next Alpha A7xx, cancels the A6xx line, cancels the A3xx line, and is rumored to end production of the A99.

In the mean time Sony releases a new Alpha A3xxxx camera, with a emount... a dozen lenses and a bunch of new cameras.

BUT, due to this press release, I still have hope for a fast AF, high end mirrorless Amount.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,473
Like?
In reply to tqlla, Sep 26, 2013

tqlla wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

The Sony A58 and the expensive A99 were self fulfilling prophecies. The A58 has a plastic mount, lower FPS video, lower FPS pictures, low resolution screen... etc. You cant find it in a National chain. Canons on the other hand can be found at Walmart, target, bestbuy... etc

I see them all over the place here. *shrug*

The A99, while a great camera.. has lower FPS and resolution than most of us thought it would, and is priced next to the Nikon D800.

Those are the last two Amounts, and the A58 probably missed expectations. The other News....Sony delays the next Alpha A7xx, cancels the A6xx line, cancels the A3xx line, and is rumored to end production of the A99.

That's not news, that's all rumors.

In the mean time Sony releases a new Alpha A3xxxx camera, with a emount... a dozen lenses and a bunch of new cameras.

4 E mount lenses, 3 A mount lenses this year. A mount lens release isn't slower than say the past 5 years.

4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,655Gear list
Like?
One thing appears obvious though...

Sony is expending most of its current energy, time and cost on the E-Mount system.  This makes sense in that the E-Mount system does need to be brought up to full potential and soon if Sony wants to stay competitive.  That means one, or more, FF E-Mount cameras, more better lenses for E-Mount.

However, another way to look at it is that Sony has not been bringing out any A-Mount camera body replacements other than the a58.  An example would be no a79 (not even announced) so far.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +9 more
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527Gear list
Like?
In reply to tqlla, Sep 26, 2013

tqlla wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

BUT, due to this press release, I still have hope for a fast AF, high end mirrorless Amount.

Agreed totally.  The statement from Sony gives me a bit more hope and buys some patience from me.  It's enough for me to sit silent until we get a clearer picture in early 2014.  I'm not 100% convinced, but it does give me a bit more reason to believe the a-mount isn't in immediate danger. (Though I never believed it was facing imminent cancellation).

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +5 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,547Gear list
Like?
Re: One thing appears obvious though...
In reply to 4thnebula, Sep 26, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

Sony is expending most of its current energy, time and cost on the E-Mount system. This makes sense in that the E-Mount system does need to be brought up to full potential and soon if Sony wants to stay competitive. That means one, or more, FF E-Mount cameras, more better lenses for E-Mount.

However, another way to look at it is that Sony has not been bringing out any A-Mount camera body replacements other than the a58. An example would be no a79 (not even announced) so far.

Last major launch in terms of body was NEX-5R/6 and A99. The inexpensive models (3N, A58 and now A3000) are basically entry level options and in fact tied together. I don't see any reason to count 5T as a new launch.

And replacing A-mount bodies will be a greater challenge, especially if the idea is to make it mirror-less. Expectations are lower with E-mount, and even lower with entry level models like A3000. Even with long awaited NEX-7 replacement, the expectations will be different than for an A77 replacement in a key area: AF performance.

Now, if Sony were to simply continue with mirror versus mirror-less approach, then you'd have a point. And if Sony is only a few months away from mirror-less system that can match mirrored approach, then again, launching a stop-gap solution won't be a good idea either and especially with rumor driven customers.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,030Gear list
Like?
Horse manure

JohnBee wrote:

Official newsbit

-- hide signature --

What makes me think this is b.s. - "You may also check the Sony Support and Sony Store website below for news and updates in the future."

The Sony Store website is oftentimes months out-of-date.

But it doesn't matter. I cannot imagine Sony abandoning the A-mount. I.e. the lenses will be usable and that is all that really matters. (All other concerns will be taken care of. They won't cancel the traditional A-mount cameras and replace them with a lower-performing A-E hybrid.)

Or, consider this... Imagine if Sony said the opposite. Suppose they said "There is no replacement for the A-mount system. We will not further development the A-mount system."

What would happen then?

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
liquid stereo
Like?
Some truth but...
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Sep 26, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Someone on the SAR web site, in one of the comments, made what I thought was an intriguing point. In Social Psychology we talk about a phenomenon known as "when belief creates reality". An example would be something like this: we go to a party expecting a certain person to be shy and unfriendly. These expectations we have create subtle biases in the way we respond to that person (i body language for example) and the way we process that persons actions and remember them. Lo and behold we indeed find that person to be shy and unfriendly. Yet we remain oblivious to the fact that we played a part in making our belief create the reality - the other person picked up our non-verbal and other cues, which would be cold because we expected him to beunfriendly, this makes him respond in an unfriendly way, etc., etc. It happens in all sorts of areas of life.

What's this got to do with the issue at hand? Well one poster on the SAR thread made the point that if we all go around singing doom and gloom about the future of the alpha mount, this might (a) detract new potential converts to the mount and (b) create a degree of panic amongst a mount users that might make some defect. The rather ironic net result of all this could be a defection of folks from the a mount that might ultimatey lead Sony to wish to stop supporting it, even if at present they had no intention to do so. So you see, another ezample of the belief eventually creating the reality. Interesting !

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Consider that DSLR/DSLT sales are pretty poor. Amongst all camera makers. It makes no sense for Sony to support two systems, two mounts, etc., when they're competing against the monolithic CN. Economies of scale, dilution of marketing and brand specification doesn't work in their favor. Unless the two mounts are viewed as a continuous spectrum.

So yes - there is the self-fullfilling stuff. But there's also some reality at play.

The best example, in my opinion, is 4/3rds and Micro 4/3rds. Who announced the death/end of 4/3rds? No one, except for the lack of product.

Cheers!

p.s. its also wise to not over-estimate the effect of internet-sourpusses.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
liquid stereo
Like?
Thom Hogan put it a bit more eloquently
In reply to liquid stereo, Sep 26, 2013
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Sep 26, 2013

Thanks to JohnBee to sharing this.

TrojMacReady wrote:

tqlla wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

I see them all over the place here. *shrug*

That's not news, that's all rumors.

4 E mount lenses, 3 A mount lenses this year. A mount lens release isn't slower than say the past 5 years.

Hi TrojMacReady ! My two cents:

I know that the SLT cameras are noteworthy in every aspects. However, if the A-mout is perceived with little love and/or uncertain future for some people, it is not because the lack of consistency lineup development is the cause of this redundant questionning?

Why Sony wouldn't have achieving only one mount properly and continuously at his best, than two mounts what beginning to compete now? (And are perceived apparently, not to give complete satisfaction in their respective market segments. Although this is not entirely true),

Kind Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Zamac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Why Sony will continue the A-mount

Firstly, ignore the 'official' statement referred to by the OP. That statements is of the "As far as I know.." kind and not even a "We currently intend to  ... (but may change our mind later)" type of official statement.

Sony needs to have a professional camera range if it is considered a major player in the digital still camera world. This is important as a matter of prestige which may be more important to management than making money - an attitude that recently frustrated a noted US investment capitalist. Their video camera line shows that Sony can be a market leader in the imaging field.

The A-mount provides a better balance with larger hand-held lenses and provides a better flange distance for telephoto lenses (without an adapter). The larger DSLR style body allows for more direct external controls. Some professionals prefer the smaller range-finder style body, and Sony will cater for them also, but if the DSLR A-Mount is not provided many of the great photographers of the future will simple choose another brand and the aspiring photographer will see what they are using and buy in to that brand.

I don't see the A3000 as a signpost to the future, but rather as a probe to see if they can gain more ground in the Canikon dominated entry level DSLR market.

Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: One thing appears obvious though...
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Sep 26, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

Sony is expending most of its current energy, time and cost on the E-Mount system. This makes sense in that the E-Mount system does need to be brought up to full potential and soon if Sony wants to stay competitive. That means one, or more, FF E-Mount cameras, more better lenses for E-Mount.

However, another way to look at it is that Sony has not been bringing out any A-Mount camera body replacements other than the a58. An example would be no a79 (not even announced) so far.

Last major launch in terms of body was NEX-5R/6 and A99. The inexpensive models (3N, A58 and now A3000) are basically entry level options and in fact tied together. I don't see any reason to count 5T as a new launch.

And replacing A-mount bodies will be a greater challenge, especially if the idea is to make it mirror-less. Expectations are lower with E-mount, and even lower with entry level models like A3000. Even with long awaited NEX-7 replacement, the expectations will be different than for an A77 replacement in a key area: AF performance.

Now, if Sony were to simply continue with mirror versus mirror-less approach, then you'd have a point. And if Sony is only a few months away from mirror-less system that can match mirrored approach, then again, launching a stop-gap solution won't be a good idea either and especially with rumor driven customers.

To 4thnebula:

I really don't understand why Sony would already announce an A7x successor now, before achieving profitability of the A77 at his best, and before it's sold out?

Regards,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Nate Dogg
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
Get over it

It's so interesting to me that some folks are more interested in conspiracy theories about their cameras than actually using them. Instead of worrying about what may happen some day, why don't you go out and enjoy /take some photos with what you already have, so we can talk about that instead.

Either get over it or switch to a different system.
--
-Nate

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads