What do you think of the Nikon V3 ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
No Sale
In reply to Sr Cordeiro, 11 months ago

I hate the design. If I am going to buy a V3, then it must have a body style similar to the V2. I have no intention of going backward to a V1 body style.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,317Gear list
Like?
Re: What do you think of the Nikon V3 ?
In reply to Sr Cordeiro, 11 months ago

Some specs:

- same sensor as the Sony RX100 II (1″ with 20mp and back-illuminated)

Agree with everyone else, the fast AF on chip is a must.

- tiltable EVF

Nice!

- touch-screen

No thanks, buttons please.

- new smaller and lighter battery

I'm neutral on this.

- avaliable silver or black

Fine, the silver looks nice with the leatherette. I like the looks of it but want your honest opinion; how does it feel to you, its creator? The indented finger area looks like a nice way to enhance the grip without adding bulk, but at the expense of the battery.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
One_Oldman_4U
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?
This is a MUCH BETTER design for a V3
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, 11 months ago

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52070864

-- hide signature --

Thanks and Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
coolcatdaddy
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: I prefer a more retro design
In reply to jonikon, 11 months ago

jonikon wrote:

withmore hard controls...

Photo taken from Nikonrumors.com

- Jon

me too. it doesn't have to be an x100 clone. but there is a reason 'retro' cameras are back. the style and the analog contols are timeless.

Sr Cordeiro
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 11 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

right-grip. The concave depression in the front looks like a far more comfortable choice than the V1 but in my opinion the top panel section of the right-grip area is like the V1: too flat and blocky. It should be far more rounded for comfortable holding and the shutter button should be at an angle, not pointing to the sky. Ergonomics should be given more thought.

The front dial should be 'pulled back' at an angle too. Facing the front is just far too blocky and less comfortable to use. Ideally it should be pulled back 30 - 45 degrees and the blocky top more angled.

The tilting EVF is good. Nikon needs a touchscreen with fast settings (control panel) to avoid going into menus, in my opinion (especially if they don't offer real buttons; ideally both would be offered). Everyone is doing a better job at this than them.

Camera strap holders are very retro because they demand the 'noisy' type of attachment which moves a lot. I thnk the normal rectangular ones are better.

Nice observations, thanks.

People seem to love this type of two-tone retro look, but it doesn't do much for me. I'm happy to see the accessory port cover is not painted silver since to me there are few things worse than coating plastics with silver paint.

Yes, I share your hate of silver plastic, so cheap-looking, can't stand it.

Tiltable LCD is sensible!

As I designed this camera with street photography in mind, it would indeed be a nice addition.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/srcordeiro

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
In reply to Paul Pasco, 11 months ago

Paul Pasco wrote:

Fine, the silver looks nice with the leatherette. I like the looks of it but want your honest opinion; how does it feel to you, its creator? The indented finger area looks like a nice way to enhance the grip without adding bulk, but at the expense of the battery.

My intention was to add a grip without adding volume to the camera. Someone made a observation that the body it's too thin to be confortable to hold (and I agree), so I think a solution may be to add some thickness to the body mantaining the identation. With this solution it would be possible to mantain the same battery.

-- hide signature --

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
Re: This is a MUCH BETTER design for a V3
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, 11 months ago

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- RiK --

Since I already like the aesthetics of the V1, I kind of like that V1+P7700 fusion.

But I think there is a bit of buttons/controls excess for such a small camera. There's barely space to a thumb grip on the back.

I still think a combination of essential phisical controls and well designed touch-screen controls would be a more elegant solution.

-- hide signature --

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
In reply to coolcatdaddy, 11 months ago

coolcatdaddy wrote:

jonikon wrote:

- Jon

me too. it doesn't have to be an x100 clone. but there is a reason 'retro' cameras are back. the style and the analog contols are timeless.

That would be a dream wouldn't it

The fact is that the Nikon 1 system wasn't developed from the start to be like this, the lenses don't even have a focus ring, let alone a aperture ring. I think that the 1 system was intended to work on a more automated fashion. And this isn't necessarely bad, just different approaches to usability experince. I have a Fuji X100 and a V1 – two extremes regarding usability – and I have fun with both.

-- hide signature --

Crac1
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 11 months ago

Nice development, I personally also like the pure design of the V1. So, the relationship with the V3 is good! The battery should remain the same, a good idea to Nikon. I am a human, I cry on the set of V1, but I adapt and I work with in addition to my SLR finally.

All that can be improved is applauded!

I use a lot of my lenses FT1 and "F" with the V1. Resolution? a little more, but not too much! high ISO? Yes, please.

Finally, I need the viewfinder, so that it is rotatable seems good. Bravo for the idea and the modeling of the V3.

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
In reply to Crac1, 10 months ago

Crac1 wrote:

Nice development, I personally also like the pure design of the V1. So, the relationship with the V3 is good! The battery should remain the same, a good idea to Nikon. I am a human, I cry on the set of V1, but I adapt and I work with in addition to my SLR finally.

All that can be improved is applauded!

I use a lot of my lenses FT1 and "F" with the V1. Resolution? a little more, but not too much! high ISO? Yes, please.

Finally, I need the viewfinder, so that it is rotatable seems good. Bravo for the idea and the modeling of the V3.

Thanks Crac1, I'm glad you like it and share the same taste for the elegant and pure design of the V1.
Regarding resolution: yes, maybe 20mp would be a bit too much, and I guess it would mean a trade-off between more resolution for less speed, but when I see the Sony RX100 images I can't stop wishing that sensor on a Nikon 1 body

-- hide signature --

Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sr Cordeiro, 10 months ago

Hello

first of all, I appreciate your effort. Although it's not exactly what I'd have in mind, for sure is much better than anything > I < could make to design any camera.

Second, just in case you have a Nikoncafe account we're discussing about possible V3 features here

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=363844

To me a V3 should be an AW1 + V2 + focus assistant for manually focused lenses (think of K3 viewfinders in reflex) or dedicated screens or focus peaking or whatever you like.

I think what's still missing are lenses with fast and fixed aperture. I know they want compact lenses, but hey, 3.5-5.6 isn't that fun ! If you can't do f/2.8 zooms make at least f/3.5 or f/4 fixed lenses.

a 7-14 f/4

a 9-36 f/2.8

a 9-90 f/4

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +4 more
kreislauf
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to Veijo Vilva, 9 months ago

Veijo Vilva wrote:

I prefer V1 to anything like that. To be safe, I just bought another V1.

-- hide signature --

Veijo

that is just funny

Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,121Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sr Cordeiro, 9 months ago

Sr Cordeiro wrote:

coolcatdaddy wrote:

jonikon wrote:

- Jon

That would be a dream wouldn't it

The fact is that the Nikon 1 system wasn't developed from the start to be like this, the lenses don't even have a focus ring, let alone a aperture ring. I think that the 1 system was intended to work on a more automated fashion. And this isn't necessarely bad, just different approaches to usability experince. I have a Fuji X100 and a V1 – two extremes regarding usability – and I have fun with both.

Hey, hey, hey! the 32/1.2 definitely has an air of things to come, with its very nice focusing ring, so by adding an aperture ring around the CX mount we could all feel at home, couldn't we ;-)?!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
Like?
Re: This is a MUCH BETTER design for a V3
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, 9 months ago

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- RiK --

I agree. I looked up the P7700 and the body is nice, the lcd seems gres great & has onboard flash.

I think you're right this would be a good platform for a V3 (w EVF)

Rags

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,742
Like?
I see no reason to replace the V1. The 10 meg, 1" sensor is just right. For $400 new

I see no reason to replace the V1. The 10 meg, 1" sensor is just right. For $400 ($370 + tax) new from Nikon-USA why spend $800 for a V2 or V3.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282Gear list
Like?

Sr Cordeiro wrote:

- same sensor as the Sony RX100 II (1″ with 20mp and back-illuminated)

Sure, as long as the AF matches (or does improves upon) the V1.

- tiltable EVF

Meh, I'd much rather have a high quality articulating screen - for stealth shooting. If they made the EVF bigger, well that just be the cherry on top - as long as the auto review could be turned off.

- touch-screen

Negative

- new smaller and lighter battery

Bigger and better battery

- avaliable silver or black

I'd prefer nice shiny gold.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?

It looks really sweet.

The touchscreen kills it though unless you can set everything with buttons and dials.

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to samfan, 9 months ago

samfan wrote:

It looks really sweet.

The touchscreen kills it though unless you can set everything with buttons and dials.

I agree. Dodgy touchscreens are highly over-rated and best left to newbies who don't know how to use a viewfinder.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads