What do you think of the Nikon V3 ?

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions
Sr Cordeiro
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
What do you think of the Nikon V3 ?
Sep 25, 2013

Some specs:

- same sensor as the Sony RX100 II (1″ with 20mp and back-illuminated)
- tiltable EVF
- touch-screen
- new smaller and lighter battery
- avaliable silver or black

Nikon1user
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Re: What do you think of the Nikon V3 ?
In reply to Sr Cordeiro, Sep 25, 2013

I admit, that would be sexy.  Too small for my hands, too unbalanced with the FT-1 and long lenses, too difficult limited in controls for a "pro" line.  I wouldn't buy it.  But that's a nice rendering and would be attractive to many people I am sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,946Gear list
Like?

Sr Cordeiro wrote:

Some specs:

- tiltable EVF
- touch-screen
- avaliable silver or black

Interesting for sure, I just bought a white V2. Anybody know if it has bracketing, possibly an intevelometer and is the GPS built in or do you still have buy an external one?

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +20 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?

Sr Cordeiro wrote:

Cool concept pictures.

Some specs:

Please NO. The best thing about the Nikon 1 system is the very fast AF. A sensor with the AF system of the Nikon 1 and 20 megapixels and better dynamic range and lower noise would be nice

- tiltable EVF

Would be nice.

- touch-screen

Don't like touch screens on cameras. A few buttons and a dial or two and I'm happy.

Smaller and lighter batters results in users having to recharge the battery faster. I'm for a bigger battery or simply use the same battery as the D7000, D600, D800

Seriously, Nikon should use the same battery type for all their system cameras.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?

It's a nice mock-up but three things make me dislike it. First, if it used the same sensor as the RX100II we lose phase detect auto focus. I like the rendering of the Aptina sensor anyway, but no way can the 1 series lose it's hybrid autofocus system and remain relevant. Second, the body itself and it's ergonomics/lack of controls doesn't appeal to me. After getting used to the grip of the V2 I wouldn't want to go back to a V1/J series style of camera. Finally, no built in flash. The built in flash that is on the V2 can be handy in pinch situations when you need fill flash and even though I don't use it often, to take it away would be a step back (in my opinion). Aside from the EVF it seems more like a J series camera mock-up to me. Anyway, good job! This illustrates though how difficult a job Nikon (and all other camera companies) has in trying to please everyone. We all think differently about which features are the most important.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
In reply to Windancer, Sep 25, 2013

Unfortunately no, no, and yes. The only 1 series camera with built in GPS so far is the unreleased AW-1. The closest thing that it has to bracketing is built in HDR but it's not available when shooting RAW. Intervelometer was not included for some reason (it was on the V1) but I never used it so it's a feature I don't miss.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Sr Cordeiro
Like?

Thanks for all the feedback.

I tried to designed it to match all my needs as a photographer but, like iamthenewguy said, it's interesting to see how this characteristics differ between people.

Never tought on the trade between a back-illuminated sensor or phase-detection. Even so I think I would prefer a better resolution, DR and low-light performance if the contrast autofocus was on par with the Olympus OMD.

My toughts when I was developing this mockup were:

- mantain roughly the same size as the V1 (the V2 is a bit chunky in my opinion)

- mantain the simple lines and the sort of "bauhaus aesthetic" of the V1 (I really like it)

- make a smaller battery to make the camera lighter and thinner

- give the body a better grip that would not increase it's volume (I opted for a smooth inner curvature, one of the reasons for a smaller battery too)

- a tiltable EVF would improve the usability and confort of a small camera like this

- finally one thing I tought was very important:
The greatest flaw with the V1 is the lack of immediate control but to include more physical buttons could be a overkill in such a small camera. A touch screen could offer all the controls without taking more space. As shown in the last image, a "quick settings" button could bring a menu with the most important settings. All the settings would be quickly adjusted with a swipe movement or switched to "auto". And even in auto mode one could indicate an interval of minimum and maximum values for the camera to choose.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/srcordeiro

One_Oldman_4U
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
??? If this what the V3 will look like, I'm going to

... m4/3!!! O-MD E-M5

I held up getting the V2 to upgrade my V1 to the V3. But if this what the V3 will be, NO UPGRADE for me. From what I see, everything is not right for the V Series. It suits more the J or S Series upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Thanks and Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Veijo Vilva
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?

I prefer V1 to anything like that. To be safe, I just bought another V1.

-- hide signature --

Veijo

Veijo Vilva's gear list:Veijo Vilva's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +5 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?

Sr Cordeiro wrote:

- finally one thing I tought was very important:

The greatest flaw with the V1 is the lack of immediate control

And your solution is to remove every direct control and move important settings into a menu?

but to include more physical buttons could be a overkill in such a small camera. A touch screen could offer all the controls without taking more space. As shown in the last image, a "quick settings" button could bring a menu with the most important settings. All the settings would be quickly adjusted with a swipe movement or switched to "auto". …

Having to activate a quick setting menu on the LCD and then swipe across the screen isn't fast. In my opinion it's slow and cumbersome and gets in the way of taking pictures. I would have to use both hands to adjust the most important settings and I couldn't do it on the fly while looking through the viewfinder.

For me it's important that I can change aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation while looking through the viewfinder.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
TonyJ303
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to Veijo Vilva, Sep 25, 2013

Touchscreens suck in the field. Especially when it's cold. The autofocus is the best feature of the V series. Gotta keep it. Same battery as the D800 and D600 is the way to go. Maybe turn it sideways and use it as a grip. Interval and bracketing is a big deal.   Ability to turn off/on the preview in the evf.    Ability to set the evf to full time with quick preview button for screen.   I hate the way it switches back and forth everytime I put it to my eye...   Maybe shape the bottom of the camera like an arca plate (might be too big, but I'd love to see one mocked up...)

16 mp with great iso would be nice and everything should work with raw. A bigger buffer would be nice.   WiFi or bluetooth would be great.   Headphone jack and mic input controls...

That's a pretty good start...  

TonyJ303's gear list:TonyJ303's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,358
Like?

No thanks. In my opinion the V1 is ugly but functional. This thing is just ugly. Don't apply for the next generation N1 camera designer job with this "camera". Sorry.

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
In reply to myzel, Sep 25, 2013

And your solution is to remove every direct control and move important settings into a menu?

Having to activate a quick setting menu on the LCD and then swipe across the screen isn't fast. In my opinion it's slow and cumbersome and gets in the way of taking pictures. I would have to use both hands to adjust the most important settings and I couldn't do it on the fly while looking through the viewfinder.

For me it's important that I can change aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation while looking through the viewfinder.

Honestly I was thinking the "quick settings" on-screen controls to be more useful to quickly set automatic options wich could be very useful for street photography, for example: just set the aperture from f/2.8 to f/8, the shutter to 1/125 to 1/2000 and the ISO from 100 to 800 and shoot away

But I wouldn't discard both frontal and rear dials to set aperture and shutter speed on the fly too.

-- hide signature --

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
In reply to TonyJ303, Sep 25, 2013

TonyJ303 wrote:

Touchscreens suck in the field. Especially when it's cold. The autofocus is the best feature of the V series. Gotta keep it. Same battery as the D800 and D600 is the way to go. Maybe turn it sideways and use it as a grip. Interval and bracketing is a big deal. Ability to turn off/on the preview in the evf. Ability to set the evf to full time with quick preview button for screen. I hate the way it switches back and forth everytime I put it to my eye... Maybe shape the bottom of the camera like an arca plate (might be too big, but I'd love to see one mocked up...)

16 mp with great iso would be nice and everything should work with raw. A bigger buffer would be nice. WiFi or bluetooth would be great. Headphone jack and mic input controls...

That's a pretty good start...

Thanks for the opinion

Yes, I agree. Like I said to myzel the dials would be there too.

There are a lot of people saying the battery should be the same too. I think a solution would be to just increase the camera thickness, it could become more comfortable to handle too (it's to thin like it is now). The battery sideways could be a good idea too.

And yes, I would like all the annoying things on the V1 to go away too (still can't stop liking the camera tough

-- hide signature --

Apteryx6
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?

Some specs:

No thanks. N1's competitive advantage is it's PDAF, which the Sony sensor doesn't have

- tiltable EVF

That would be OK

- touch-screen

I'd prefer to be able to adjust with my eye to the VF, but I guess I could make that work if I had to

Definitely no sale

-- hide signature --

Apteryx

Sr Cordeiro
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, Sep 25, 2013

olyflyer wrote:

No thanks. In my opinion the V1 is ugly but functional. This thing is just ugly. Don't apply for the next generation N1 camera designer job with this "camera". Sorry.

No problem, this is was just a thing I did in a slow afternoon in the design studio where I work. It's intended to be experimental and just for fun

-- hide signature --

MasterOfGoingFaster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
Nice.

First glance - I like it.  It is a good looking design, and I really like the front dial.

As others, I'd to keep the existing sensor, and use the same battery as the D800, etc.

Add a rear dial, so it handles like a larger Nikon SLR and you might have a winner.

-- hide signature --

Ken Elliott
Equipment in profile.

MasterOfGoingFaster's gear list:MasterOfGoingFaster's gear list
Nikon D700
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
In reply to Sr Cordeiro, Sep 26, 2013

right-grip. The concave depression in the front looks like a far more comfortable choice than the V1 but in my opinion the top panel section of the right-grip area is like the V1: too flat and blocky. It should be far more rounded for comfortable holding and the shutter button should be at an angle, not pointing to the sky. Ergonomics should be given more thought.

The front dial should be 'pulled back' at an angle too. Facing the front is just far too blocky and less comfortable to use. Ideally it should be pulled back 30 - 45 degrees and the blocky top more angled.

The tilting EVF is good. Nikon needs a touchscreen with fast settings (control panel) to avoid going into menus, in my opinion (especially if they don't offer real buttons; ideally both would be offered). Everyone is doing a better job at this than them.

Camera strap holders are very retro because they demand the 'noisy' type of attachment which moves a lot. I thnk the normal rectangular ones are better.

People seem to love this type of two-tone retro look,  but it doesn't do much for me. I'm happy to see the accessory port cover is not painted silver since to me there are few things worse than coating plastics with silver paint.

Tiltable LCD is sensible!

jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
If that is the V3 I'll pass

That is ugly!

-- hide signature --

John

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
I prefer a more retro design

withmore hard controls...

Photo taken from Nikonrumors.com

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads