Interview with Tereda and other Olympus staff

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254Gear list
Like?
Interview with Tereda and other Olympus staff
Sep 25, 2013

Link here:

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/

He does a nice job clarifying Olympus' plans for the future on a number of issues:

• A Pro mFT wide zoom and super-tele-lens are planned.
  • E-M5 will have a successor
  • no FF camera planned
  • not competing with the GH3 for video, focusing on stills quality

Thank you to 43Rumors for sharing the link.

http://www.43rumors.com/mr-terada-talks-at-mirrorlessleassons/

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
itsanewdawn
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Re: Interview with Tereda and other Olympus staff
In reply to sderdiarian, Sep 25, 2013

Guthmann: Even top professionals are tending to go with medium format cameras for those real high quality shots while choosing mirrorless cameras from MFT to create spontaneous shots because they are lightweight, better to transport, and do not look so professional”

Come on guys there will be a 100 pro FF users for every MF user despite their awesome low ISO image quality MF is simply too limited poor lens choice slow lens poor high ISO etc. If you only shoot in controlled situation in a studio or tripod based landscape they are great beyond this their usefulness declines rapidly.

“. This is an important point because you can shoot images which were not possible before because you needed permission to shoot. With this camera, you can just make images and nobody recognises that you are shooting in a professional manner”

So presumably this means that being able to sneak cameras into locations to sneak photographs you are not allowed to take using a nice pink pen mini is the way to go for

.”This is why many professionals are thinking about having a medium format camera for the really high end jobs, skipping FF altogether, and just using MFT camera for spontaneous jobs.”

This is ludicrous there are more FF cameras selling than ever before which is certainly not the case with MF digital which remains a tiny expensive niche within pro photography.

Though its not a total loss at least the "young lady" market is being targeted

“Tereda: Asian people like to have new things. Americans and Europeans tend to be a bit more conservative. We are expecting this.

On the other hand, we strongly promote, especially in the Japanese and Asian market, cameras designed for the young generation with a focus on young females

. However, we can see the potential in Europe now that so many females enjoy photography and post pictures on social networks.

Pity that according to Olympus all young women are too poor for them

But still these women have no strong buying power, that is, the income is low.

-- hide signature --

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

itsanewdawn's gear list:itsanewdawn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?

sderdiarian wrote:

Link here:

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/

He does a nice job clarifying Olympus' plans for the future on a number of issues:

• A Pro mFT wide zoom and super-tele-lens are planned.
  • E-M5 will have a successor
  • no FF camera planned
  • not competing with the GH3 for video, focusing on stills quality

Thank you to 43Rumors for sharing the link.

http://www.43rumors.com/mr-terada-talks-at-mirrorlessleassons/

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Very interesting read.  Thanks for point it out.

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to itsanewdawn, Sep 25, 2013

So when FF cameras in around 2005 were about the same as the current m43 cameras, professionals were unable to do their jobs ?
And in ten years times when the D800 is a crock of sh*t compared to the cameras then it will be useless for all pros?

Interesting...

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

itsanewdawn
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olymore, Sep 25, 2013

Olymore wrote:

So when FF cameras in around 2005 were about the same as the current m43 cameras, professionals were unable to do their jobs ?
And in ten years times when the D800 is a crock of sh*t compared to the cameras then it will be useless for all pros?

Interesting...

-- hide signature --

I don't recall writing anything like this .Though the facts are as time moves forward expectations increase this is a fact of life your point is irrelevant to anything I posted. I see you use an E-M5 if as you are Implying advances in image quality are irrelevant why don’t you shoot with an E-P1 or GF1

-- hide signature --

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

itsanewdawn's gear list:itsanewdawn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,903
Like?
Designed for women

This part of the interview confirms what I said about 1.5 years ago about how the cameras were designed more with women in mind:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41315081

Mirrorlessons: This is maybe a more sensitive question. There have been some articles explaining that mirrorless cameras in general have poor sales especially in Europe and America whereas in Japan, Korea and China they are doing fairy well. If this is true, why do you feel the sales are not very good?

Tereda: One thing we always say is that Japan and the Asian people like to have new things. Americans and Europeans tend to be a bit more conservative. We are expecting this. On the other hand, we strongly promote, especially in the Japanese and Asian market, cameras designed for the young generation with a focus on young females. However, we can see the potential in Europe now that so many females enjoy photography and post pictures on social networks. We tried to test the market potential in Paris once with the Pen camera where we had a touch-and-try show in the centre of the city. So many young ladies came to the event and they tried the camera and everybody said that it was really nice. But still these women have no strong buying power, that is, the income is low. However, we clearly see the possibility – they love photography and they love the Pen camera. If we can clearly see the target user, I am sure we can convince Europe and America.

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645
Like?
Re: Designed for women
In reply to Henry Richardson, Sep 25, 2013

This part of the interview confirms what I said about 1.5 years ago about how the cameras were designed more with women in mind:

Panasonic has said the same thing about their mirrorless cameras. If memory serves, they said that their USA strategy included things like advertising in bridal magazines.

And Nikon recently said "in Europe and the U.S. the ratio of mirrorless to SLRs hasn't grown at all, unlike in Asia, where it's quite popular with women because it's light."

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?

I wasn't suggesting that later cameras aren't better, rather that statement that suggest m43 can't be used for pro work due to IQ deficiencies are over the top. There are pros on this forum that are happy with it because it meets their needs.
There are wedding photographers still using the original Canon 5d and there was a post on here a couple of days ago discussing a pro photographer who was using a Nikon D2x.

If pros quite happily use these cameras they can quite happily use m43 and gain the benefit of lighter and smaller equipment.

It won't suit all pros but for many it will be fine as the IQ of digital cameras met their needs many years ago.

And for info, I bought the E-M5 for two reasons. The increased DR which for me was important and the viewfinder/ weather sealing and functionality that matches an SLR/DSLR and was sorely lacking on the Pens.

If I had been using larger sensor equipment then it would have met my needs IQ wise a generation or two back.

-- hide signature --

Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497
Like?
Re: Missing the Point

The point is diminishing differences. 1 stop difference in noise and DR between FF and the best m43 may have been impressive back in 2010 when low light photography was hit or miss on any format. But it won't soon make any difference now that usable ISO is pushing 12,800 in m43 and DR is 11.5 stops. Is 1 stop really going to make a difference when usable m43 ISO is 102,400 and DR is 15 stops?  Almost all photo goals can be accomplished well with m43 or improvements in technology will soon allow it to happen.

On the other hand, the size difference of lenses will not go away or improve. We will always be able to take a camera body and satchel of lenses while you are loading that brick on your back. And we always be able to take people in natural poses in photographs while people duck out of the way or pose seriously when you pull your behemoth out.

Landscapephoto99
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, Sep 25, 2013

PENs are, not m43 in general.  I do not think of the E-M1 or the GH3 as cameras targeted at women.

sderdiarian
Like?
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Sep 25, 2013

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

PENs are, not m43 in general. I do not think of the E-M1 or the GH3 as cameras targeted at women.

I can't believe Olympus is this ignorant of Western attitudes.  To have a car branded as a "chick" car is the kiss of death, VW Bug a case in point.  Same for introducing a car aimed at youth (PT Cruiser and Honda Element) adopted by the "mature" crowd.

For them to openly come out and say they've abdicated image quality to FF, a man-sized camera, and have targeted their products instead to women, well, good luck with that marketing strategy in the west.  Small, efficient and high IQ sells to all genders.  Maybe someone should whisper that in their ear .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Landscapephoto99
Like?

sderdiarian wrote:

I don't think this is what he said.  He said that PENs are aimed at women in the Asian market.  OMD, not.  He said nothing about abdicating image quality to FF.

For them to openly come out and say they've abdicated image quality to FF, a man-sized camera, and have targeted their products instead to women, well, good luck with that marketing strategy in the west. Small, efficient and high IQ sells to all genders. Maybe someone should whisper that in their ear .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,974Gear list
Like?
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Sep 25, 2013

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

The point is diminishing differences. 1 stop difference in noise and DR between FF and the best m43 may have been impressive back in 2010 when low light photography was hit or miss on any format. But it won't soon make any difference now that usable ISO is pushing 12,800 in m43 and DR is 11.5 stops. Is 1 stop really going to make a difference when usable m43 ISO is 102,400 and DR is 15 stops? Almost all photo goals can be accomplished well with m43 or improvements in technology will soon allow it to happen.

This is a wee experiment that seems to upset those who believe that there is less than 2 stops difference in final image between the E-M5 { best mFT } and D800 { D800 best FF} . Firstly download the D800 6400 ISO raw file along with the E-M5 1600ISO file from these locations.

D800

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1390/reflex-nikon-d800-bruit-electronique-12.html

E-M5

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1381/compact-olympus-om-d-e-m5-bruit-electronique-12.html

The reason for using Focus Numerique image samples is down to the simple fact that while not perfect their exposures and comparative exposures are far more consistent than the somewhat variable DPreview test shots { variable in exposure, aperture, DOF etc}

Then open the images up in whatever RAW convertor you favour I tend to use ACR . Open up the images do nothing other than resize the files to the same pixel dimensions do it however you wish. I upsized the E-M5 to show things at the same output size ,downsizing the D800 will do the same though some downsizing techniques tend to reduce overall noise which we do not want to do here.

Then simply crop the central sections of each image { I use the central area to remove the effect of lenses and DOF from the equation}. This is what you end up with nothing done to the images the D800 has a clear noise and very clear detail advantage.

If you wish to sacrifice some of the image detail advantage to NR you now have a 6400ISO D800 shot that still has more detail { check any of the areas of fine detail which I have highlighted} while now you have less noise

Now you could add NR to the E-M5 file but you are already at a detail disadvantage so all you will end up with is mush. If you have a little time please give this a go. The DXO measurements puts the high ISO difference at 1.7 stops, the DR at 2.1 stops and colour depth at 2.5 stops along with the far superior detail. I consider these pretty significant as for 12800 ISO in mFT it is pretty bad

I am a real advocate of higher MP counts and that is my only real regret with the E-M1 , though i cant wait till i get mine

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 +13 more
Landscapephoto99
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, Sep 26, 2013

Yes, but this is cherry picking results in your comparison of the E-M5 and the D800.  Compare ISO 3200 E-M5 to ISO 12,800 on Imaging Resources.  The E-M5 image is much better.  And there are other examples like this for color depth and DR.  I would give the D800 a 1 1/2 stop advantage.

That means that if the E-M1 is at least a half stop better than the E-M5, we are back to just a ~1 stop advantage for FF in everything except size of file.  Hopefully, removing the AA filter will improve resolution a bit in the E-M1, but I'm getting huge prints out of my E-M5 so no complaints there.

Again, I'm not saying that FF is not better, just that the assuming everyone keeps up with technology that the differences will be less and less important.  A 1 stop advantage is a huge difference when there are only 5 stops. It is not such a big difference when were are looking at 11.5 or 12 stops.   On the other hand, size doesn't change.  FF lenses will always be huge.

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537Gear list
Like?
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Sep 26, 2013

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Yes, but this is cherry picking results in your comparison of the E-M5 and the D800. Compare ISO 3200 E-M5 to ISO 12,800 on Imaging Resources. The E-M5 image is much better. And there are other examples like this for color depth and DR. I would give the D800 a 1 1/2 stop advantage.

That means that if the E-M1 is at least a half stop better than the E-M5, we are back to just a ~1 stop advantage for FF in everything except size of file. Hopefully, removing the AA filter will improve resolution a bit in the E-M1, but I'm getting huge prints out of my E-M5 so no complaints there.

Again, I'm not saying that FF is not better, just that the assuming everyone keeps up with technology that the differences will be less and less important. A 1 stop advantage is a huge difference when there are only 5 stops. It is not such a big difference when were are looking at 11.5 or 12 stops. On the other hand, size doesn't change. FF lenses will always be huge.

Good point about keeping up with technology. Remember how long people waited for their D700 and 5D Mk2 to be updated? Must be 6 or 7 years. The D800 and 5DMark 3 are very new at this time but probably will not get updated for another 5 years, during which there will be 2 or 3 new generations of sensor and M43 cameras. At this point in time, the D800 is looking a lot better than the E-M5, but in another 3 years' time there may be just 1 stop or maybe even less of advantage for many shooting situations. By then, some careful exposure and framing, 5-axis IBIS and lens quality might just reduce the advantage even further to make the extra cost and weight of FF cameras justified only for the most demanding applications.

People should realise that Terada is talking about the future, not the current conditions (e.g. that DSLR still sell better). Some technological changes take a long time to happen due to existing habits/investment/mentality, but when that happens, they can be massive.

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,123Gear list
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Sep 26, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

PENs are, not m43 in general. I do not think of the E-M1 or the GH3 as cameras targeted at women.

I can't believe Olympus is this ignorant of Western attitudes. To have a car branded as a "chick" car is the kiss of death, VW Bug a case in point. Same for introducing a car aimed at youth (PT Cruiser and Honda Element) adopted by the "mature" crowd.

For them to openly come out and say they've abdicated image quality to FF, a man-sized camera, and have targeted their products instead to women, well, good luck with that marketing strategy in the west. Small, efficient and high IQ sells to all genders. Maybe someone should whisper that in their ear .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

Agreed. I read this interview last week and couldn't believe that Terada's comments about Western women as well as the fact that he attributes the success of PENs to Olympus being able to successfully market them to young Japanese women.

He also commented that the word of mouth from E-M5 & E-M1 users would be an important factor in generating sales of lower level PENs.

If targeting young women and relying on word of mouth constitute the core of Oly's marketing strategy then we can only hope they succeed despite managerial incompetence.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
sderdiarian
Like?
In reply to MichaelKJ, Sep 26, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

If targeting young women and relying on word of mouth constitute the core of Oly's marketing strategy then we can only hope they succeed despite managerial incompetence.

Sums it up:  they succeed in spite of themselves.

On one hand they have this wonderful core group of designers and engineers working in the background developing some truly wonderful products well ahead of their time, while their spokespeople and marketers (I hesitate to even use the word here) are frankly completely out of touch with how best to promote their products in the west.

I find the E-PL5 deserving of a design award purely based upon its sleek and elegant form combined with the quality of images it produces.  Joy to me is handling such a well designed product knowing it also functions at a very high level.  To then have spokespeople say it's aimed at teenage girls, welll, OMG, are they babes lost in the woods.

Same applies to the E-M5, which took the market by storm based on the magic of packing full features and then some (5-axis IBIS) in a playful re-creation of the classic OM body style at a smaller size.  Combine it with jewel-like fast primes, and many found it a camera they had to have, abandoning their big, black DSLR's in the process.

The new E-M1 raised the bar again, maybe not in such a tour de force right out of the gate, but by refining features and allowing better access to 4/3's lenses in a pro-build body, opening a whole new door for high-end  enthusiasts and professionals alike.

Going by these forums, the target audience is not women, but mostly 30+ men with a lot of experience in photography and a taste for leading edge design/technology.  Their products fit this group perfectly.  I can only wonder if as a corporation they are simply blind to this.

Imagine Olympus with a western savvy marketing plan and managerial direction.

They got caught with their pants down once by a western CEO, Woodford, who for no fault of his own exposed their $1.7 billion accounting fraud.  Well, now that that's behind them, instead of shooting the messenger and burying their heads in hidebound Japanese corporate cultural traditions, they need to look outside again for direction that understands their international market.

A very telling interview indeed.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,110
Like?
Re: and for men who shared qualities with women
In reply to Henry Richardson, Sep 26, 2013

specifically middle aged men who behave as if they are young women:

prefering small, light, shiny cameras that matches their man-purses.

These things happen, nothing wrong with it.

Embrace the change, buy a yellow VW bug, or Mini convertible, and get yourself a pair of aqua-marine skin tight, low cut pants

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537Gear list
Like?
Re: and for men who shared qualities with women
In reply to dennis tennis, Sep 26, 2013

dennis tennis wrote:

specifically middle aged men who behave as if they are young women:

prefering small, light, shiny cameras that matches their man-purses.

These things happen, nothing wrong with it.

Embrace the change, buy a yellow VW bug, or Mini convertible, and get yourself a pair of aqua-marine skin tight, low cut pants

I believe that in Asia those "middle aged men" would be referred to as what they are - "older men", if not simply "old men".

Women with low income, yep, means if you ladies want to look higher class and better off, then you should be a able to afford Olympus cameras, just like that LV handbag or Armani dress. It might actually work and prompt them to buy the expensive cameras to look good, rather than the entry level DSLRs with a zoom that everybody has. Brand affixation is alive over there too, but the way the message is delivered can be quite different.

There is definitely a cultural difference here.

erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,016Gear list
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Sep 26, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I can't believe Olympus is this ignorant of Western attitudes. To have a car branded as a "chick" car is the kiss of death, VW Bug a case in point. Same for introducing a car aimed at youth (PT Cruiser and Honda Element) adopted by the "mature" crowd.

Actually, these remarks have deep and honourable roots in Olympus corporate tradition.  Maitani was delighted to note women using his new Pen cameras back in a time when Japanese photography was and almost completely male domain.

I can only hope that photographers are, on the whole, a little more intelligent than the idiots who parade huge trucks and SUV's through our city streets to tout their masculinity - or actually to compensate for their lack of anything better to show.

Real photographers use their cameras as picture taking tools that they use to as fluidly and inconspicuously as possible to communicate their vision, rather than to make a spectacle of themselves.  mFT is ideal for this.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads