Canon G16 Viewfinder

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Questions
cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Canon G16 Viewfinder
Sep 25, 2013

Does anyone know what the coverage of the G16 viewfinder is?

The canon website and specifications don't seem to mention it.

I hope it's better than the 3% on my G11

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G16 Viewfinder
In reply to cmc1, Sep 25, 2013

Should be the same as my G15 and the G10, 11, & 12.

3% ???  I don't understand.  Does your finder not zoom as you zoom the lens?

Most reviews list those finders at about 80%.  That would translate to the optical finder showing about 80% of the area that ends up on the recorded image. (about 90% of the height and 90% of the width).  I had the G11 when I bought the G15.  To me, the view looked the same.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Sep 25, 2013

GeraldW wrote:

Should be the same as my G15 and the G10, 11, & 12.

3% ???  I don't understand.  Does your finder not zoom as you zoom the lens?

Most reviews list those finders at about 80%.  That would translate to the optical finder showing about 80% of the area that ends up on the recorded image. (about 90% of the height and 90% of the width).  I had the G11 when I bought the G15.  To me, the view looked the same.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I believe I remember reading in one of the announcement pieces from Canon for the G15 that the vewfinder coverage had been increased to 85% -- and since the G16 uses the same viewfinder as the G15 it would also be 85%.  Not much different than 80% actually, but I'll take all I can get.

As near as I can tell, the G16 uses the same lens and viewfinder as the G15, but it uses a BSI CMOS sensor instead of just a CMOS sensor for somewhat better signal to noise ratio.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
cmc1
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Sep 26, 2013

Why can't they do 100%? it would make the camera much more desirable.

Still, 85% puts it on par with the Fuji X20 but the Fuji has information overlay.

Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Sep 26, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

It might make it more desirable in theory but if the price also increased significantly no one would buy it.

To achieve 100% coverage you would need a set of viewfinder optics perfectly calibrated to the focal lengths of the taking lens and able to zoom in tandem with no loss of focal length synchronisation at any point in the zoom range at any focus distance. Since modern lenses are rarely symmetrical in their optical design these days there is often a change in focal length as they are focussed closer than infinity, so that would have to be taken into account as well. In addition the viewfinder would have to be able to compensate for parallax at closer distances since the taking lens and the viewfinder are not pointing at the same part of the subject.

So to really achieve 100% coverage probably the only practical way of doing this would be to have a G16 with two matched taking lenses - one to take the photo and one to act as the viewfinder (which essentially was what TLRs used to do). However I suspect you can now see the downsides of that approach not only in terms of cost but also in size.

cmc1
Like?
In reply to meland, Sep 26, 2013

meland wrote:

cmc1 wrote:

It might make it more desirable in theory but if the price also increased significantly no one would buy it.

To achieve 100% coverage you would need a set of viewfinder optics perfectly calibrated to the focal lengths of the taking lens and able to zoom in tandem with no loss of focal length synchronisation at any point in the zoom range at any focus distance. Since modern lenses are rarely symmetrical in their optical design these days there is often a change in focal length as they are focussed closer than infinity, so that would have to be taken into account as well. In addition the viewfinder would have to be able to compensate for parallax at closer distances since the taking lens and the viewfinder are not pointing at the same part of the subject.

So to really achieve 100% coverage probably the only practical way of doing this would be to have a G16 with two matched taking lenses - one to take the photo and one to act as the viewfinder (which essentially was what TLRs used to do). However I suspect you can now see the downsides of that approach not only in terms of cost but also in size.W

OK

plantdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,918
Like?
Why not a EVF?
In reply to cmc1, Sep 28, 2013

I can understand the difficulties of an excellent optical finder but why not a superior EFV? The new Nikon, same price, shows that a big price increase argument doesn't hold up. Nikon also adds a swivel LCD, which I am mixed about given the larger size.

Greg

ImagesInstyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Oct 2, 2013

i just got mines today, and the lens does not block the view at all.

so i would say about 95% viewable.

i can only slightly see a small part of the lens barrell, and that very small.

see my earlier post on the G16 in beverly hills.

ImagesInstyle's gear list:ImagesInstyle's gear list
Sony a6000
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Canon G16 viewfinder, why not 100% coverage?
In reply to meland, Oct 2, 2013

meland wrote:

cmc1 wrote:

So to really achieve 100% coverage probably the only practical way of doing this would be to have a G16 with two matched taking lenses - one to take the photo and one to act as the viewfinder (which essentially was what TLRs used to do). However I suspect you can now see the downsides of that approach not only in terms of cost but also in size.

Yup.

Not to mention that the user would get royally piçed off when, due to parallax, something seen next the borders of the VF is lost on the pic (not an issue with 85%), nor that the lens barrel would become really conspicuous at WA, nor that for non-reflex compact cameras there exists a more elegant eye-level solution (nikon P7800, panny LF1) called, you know...

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,326Gear list
Like?
Glad it does not have swivel LCD
In reply to plantdoc, Oct 2, 2013

Not wanted or needed for my use.

My G16 is slim and light.  Great image quality and focusing is on steroids compared to my G15.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Mike in NM
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to ImagesInstyle, Oct 5, 2013

Just received my G16.  Wonderful to have an optical viewfinder again.

I do see a bit of the lens barrel in the finder, but it's not enough to be a problem.

However,  also see a shadow of something midway, way over, along the right edge.  Seems to be internal, and it's the same at all zooms.  After close examination it appears to be rectangular, with sharp corners, so it's not dirt, crack or smudge.  Looks like structure.  Has anybody else seen this, or do I have a problem?  Thanks.

Mike

eajames
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to Mike in NM, Oct 6, 2013

I see the lens barrel in the lower left at 28mm to 35ish; at longer settings it is not visible.  I see nothing like what your are describing on the right side.  It sounds as though something is off with yours.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,921Gear list
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Oct 6, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

Well it's not a TTL viewfinder, so it's through the camera body above the lens.  It would cost too much, requiring high manufacturing process to get a 100% OVF on a P&S camera.  Would you pay $799 to get a 100% OVF?

Still, 85% puts it on par with the Fuji X20 but the Fuji has information overlay.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads