Two photos from the woods

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
TorsteinH
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
Two photos from the woods
10 months ago

Even if I realise this site is mostly for hardware....? I just wanted to share two photos from last Sunday in the woods. The photos are taken with a EM-5 and the kit 12-50. Feel free to comment if you like.

A lucky find in the woods

In the forest

-- hide signature --

www.ohb.no/foto
Torstein

Marriott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593Gear list
Like?
Re: Two photos from the woods
In reply to TorsteinH, 10 months ago

Your woods like very much like our woods here in Latvia, especially the mushrooms. They are so tasty and can be prepared in many ways. I hope you found more than one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
Re: Two photos from the woods

Beautiful chanterells indeed and a fine photo from the forest that brings about the special feeling of being there. Yes, now it's time to get out into the woods an pick some nice mushrooms! . But we still need a little more rain to have them really showing up, at least here in eastern Sweden it's still too dry.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,212Gear list
Like?
Bokeh not nearly as bad as some people say.

The mushroom picture illustrates that bokeh isn't bad at all, given the right settings. It really is a matter of having a subject close by and the background far away and then a longer focal length as well... but then the bokeh can be creamy or busy and here it is reasonably good.

What the mushroom picture also shows is that orange is a very hard color to capture. You need some negative EV to avoid blowing out the red channel.

The second picture I'd love to have seen in full resolution to give viewers a better feel for the sharpness of the lens (or lack thereof). At low resolution it indeed is not a very useful picture for a gear forum.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
TorsteinH
Like?
Re: Bokeh not nearly as bad as some people say.
In reply to Paul De Bra, 10 months ago

Regarding the Bokeh, or out of focus areas. I can always make that nice in PP if needed. (Not in this case.) Normally my problem is to get all I want in focus...

The "In the wood" picture is indeed very sharp. I will add a full size photo this evening when I'm back from work.

-- hide signature --

www.ohb.no/foto
Torstein

MatsP
Like?

TorsteinH wrote:

The "In the wood" picture is indeed very sharp.

If you say so, the 12-50 may be better than it's reputation, or what do you think?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
TorsteinH
Like?
In reply to MatsP, 10 months ago

MatsP wrote:

TorsteinH wrote:

If you say so, the 12-50 may be better than it's reputation, or what do you think?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have kind of a split relationsihp with the 12-50. I'm sure it's more than sharp enough used at the right f/stops though. But I rarely get the pictures taht pops out without quote a bit of PP.

-- hide signature --

www.ohb.no/foto
Torstein

MatsP
Like?

TorsteinH wrote:

MatsP wrote:

TorsteinH wrote:

To be honest, I'm not sure. I have kind of a split relationsihp with the 12-50. I'm sure it's more than sharp enough used at the right f/stops though. But I rarely get the pictures taht pops out without quote a bit of PP

Well, corresponds to my own impression of the lens. I use it less than before, waiting for the 12-40. But sometimes you happen to get one or two good pictures with it, like you did. I really like the forest shot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads