Which super zoom bridge camera would you recommend and why?

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Questions
003tvd
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?
Re: Which super zoom bridge camera would you recommend and why?
In reply to Sonyshine, Oct 13, 2013

Zoom range of the Panasonic FZ70 inside the mall. Handheld at 20mm and handheld at 1200mm. The books are in the store way down there.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
In reply to 003tvd, Oct 14, 2013

Im a part time pro and I have a FZ200 that i use for travel when i dont want to lug around pounds of dslr.  it does quite well, and no one has mentioned its a very capable video shooter with good battery life.

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168
Like?
In reply to Kings1, Oct 16, 2013

Camera labs has a review of the Panasonic FZ70

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ70_FZ72/

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168
Like?
Re: FZ200 + TC > other bare superzooms
In reply to mgd43, Oct 16, 2013

I agree.  People only tend to emphasize the super tele end but not the wide angle end.  I have the Canon SX50 and wished it was wider.  Hopefully the Canon SX60 will have a wider view with wifi and GPS.

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782
Like?

About a year ago, my stepson showed up with a Panasonic FZ150. I was able to take a picture with it, through a gap in the trees, of a little airplane flying several miles away out over the ocean. It locked focus immediately. Impressive.

He has children, and has found the FZ150 just fine for photos of the kids playing, birthday parties, all that. All the telephoto is perfect for going to the zoo, getting up close with that tiger.

There's probably a newer model out by now, and I'd certainly check it out!

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue, San Diego, California

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,141Gear list
Like?

Kings1 wrote:

I own a Sony SLT A55 and a NEX, but the super telephotos and cost prohibitive for me right now. I simply can not afford a long range Lens for the Sony...

If you are used to these, you may have a hard job finding a bridge camera to suit you. Maybe you could look for suitable lenses on the second hand market.

I'm considering the Nikon P520, the Sony HX 300, or thee Panasonic Lumix FZ 70, which one would you choose? Or do you have another brand that is better in your mind?

I would exclude the Sony HX 300. There are two many comments about over-processing in the camera, here as well as on YouTube.

I should say I'm leaning towards the Panasonic because it can capture raw files, but this isn't a big sticking point to me.

I can't have two new cameras, and my actual requirement is for a light-weight long zoom pocket P&S. For recording our Morris gig videos, the camera gets mounted on my accordion. Extra weight causes extra whiplash, and the larger size focusses public attention on me instead of the dancing. Sandra has agreed that I can have the Olympus SH-50 iHS.

But for a bridge camera, I also lean towards the Panasonic FZ 70. You have a range from 20mm to 1200mm, which covers interiors for rental advertising right up to moon- and bird shots, AND for video the sound focusses with the lens. I just wished for more FZ 70 postings over on the Panasonic forum. They have too much pre-occupation with the FZ 200 for my liking.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,047Gear list
Like?
In reply to Henry Falkner, Oct 16, 2013

The Sony SAL500F80 mirror lens is a great lightweight xbd compact 500mm telephoto for the A55. I used this combination a lot.

If you still want a quality bridge camera there is the new Sony RX 10 to consider also.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Oct 17, 2013

Bridge cameras are not DSLRs or MILCs (mirrorless), but if used within their limits they can produce beautiful photos. Their main limit is due to their small sensors and relatively slow lenses (except the f/2.8 lens of the FZ200) which limit their performance in low light. That's why I recommend getting one that takes an accessory flash that can be used for bounce flash.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads