Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Discussions
Sean65
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Re: They don't!
In reply to brianric, Sep 26, 2013

brianric wrote:

Started out on Canon Digital Rebel, as it was first DSLR for under $1,000. I had the 1 D2 & 3. The 1D3 spent a few trips to Canon for repairs. When the 5D2 came out with the same crappy focusing system as the 5D, I bought a D700. Liked it so much bought a second D700 and unloaded all my Canon gear, which at the time was four Canon DSLRs (I did own six), and 12 "L" series lenses. I'm now getting an Olympus M1. If it lives up to its hype I see myself unloading half my Nikon gear.

Yes, I was using Nikon then a staff job gave me Canons which I had all kinds of issues with. When I went freelance I did exactly the same and got a few D700's. And to this day you could count on a few fingers how many firmware upgrades they've had which kind of signals 'how right' Nikon got this camera first time round.

You will always see plenty of white lenses around. Canon have excellent lenses. Shame about the bodies though.

Also worth noting is that Nikon flash is streets ahead of Canon.

Sean

-- hide signature --

Not everyone who says something has something to say.

Sean65's gear list:Sean65's gear list
Nikon D7100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,505Gear list
Like?
You what, LOL
In reply to yonsarh, Sep 26, 2013

LOL a little one sided huh

I shoot with photographers using long fast tele lenses for birds and BIF's and the list goes like this

Steve, Canon 1DX

Chris, Canon 5D MKIII

Toya, Canon 7D

Brian, Canon 7D

Boney, Canon 1D MKVI

Trev, Canon 5D MKII

Me, Sony NEX

So where are the Nikon shooters I find asking myself. I don't actually know any. I'm curious as to why though ?? I have no idea why not, Nikon has the cameras and the lenses and yet here, it seems to be a Canon area. Interesting.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,372Gear list
Like?
You can't beat a good "drive-by"........

It's a drive by posting, the OP posts something dumb and slightly annoying and then disappears to let the arguments ensue.....and so the world turns.....

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,181
Like?
Re: Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

I actually think more people buying their first DSLR buy Canon over Nikon.  I see FAR more college kids and soccer moms carrying Rebels than I do anything else.  My first DSLR was a Fuji, then a Pentax.  But as I became more serious about digital (I was a film guy more whole life until 2007) I researched and found Nikon to have the best products for what I wanted to do.  As a professional today, I cant image owning anything other than my D800 (anything from another company that is).

Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,779Gear list
Like?
How does a 35% market share become "most everyone?"

You really need to look up the definition of "most everyone."

Generally speaking it means a LARGE majority, and not "one third."

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,215Gear list
Like?

Actually most people choose Canon I believe. Why? Because most pros shoot with Canon. People then buy Canon after seeing a Pro use it not realizing their entry level Canon is not the same as the high end pro cameras.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,779Gear list
Like?
Actually, no
In reply to tbcass, Sep 26, 2013

tbcass wrote:

Actually most people choose Canon I believe. Why? Because most pros shoot with Canon. People then buy Canon after seeing a Pro use it not realizing their entry level Canon is not the same as the high end pro cameras.

There is no single brand that is chosen by "most people" unless you are now defining 40% as being a majority.

I think you meant to say "more people select Canon."

Words really do matter.

The last time I saw any reliable numbers on it.... DSLR market share broke down like this....

Canon is the market leader, but they don't have a majority of the sales. No one does.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
rouchefoucald
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianj, Sep 26, 2013

brianj wrote:

A more interesting question would be , 'why must everyone buy a first DSLR'? I am not going to.

Brian

My sentiments, exactly. I do mostly what they call street photography. I've been shooting a OM-D for some moths, now I'm using a Nikon V1 and a Fuji X100. A few weeks ago I ordered a Nikon D5100, the price was too good to pass, but after handling it for a few hours, I just couldn't keep it. It felt clunky and awkward, and the difference in IQ wasn't apparent to my eyes. I knew it was going to stay home mostly, so I returned it.

rouchefoucald's gear list:rouchefoucald's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony a6000
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
What is your source? I don't think you're right ;-)

yonsarh wrote:

Infact I am one of them.

1. build quality

2. brand

3. many options for lenses

4. mainly for professional or amateur work

5. other

If other, please specify thanks.

Your hypothesis is interesting.  However given that industry sources only give us overall volume figures for each manufacturer, your hypothesis is also impossible to test.

Canon and Nikon are largely the same at all levels.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,810Gear list
Like?

Since Canon has been the DSLR market leader for the past 10 years, I suggest that your statement is simply false.

During a recent holiday to Greece I was surprised that I saw mostly (hundreds of) Canon DSLRs but only a couple of Nikons in a 12-day period while visiting some very popular tourist attractions. That also seems to counter your unsubstantiated claim.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,810Gear list
Like?
Re: Why You Ask Misleading Bogus Question?
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, Sep 26, 2013

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

(I assume your post was made in good faith, and that you are not a troll trying to stir things up just for the fun of it.)

Well, since they posted such a ridiculous question and have yet to respond to a single reply post, it appears to be a troll.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Andreas Stuebs
Contributing MemberPosts: 717Gear list
Like?
why must everyone buy a first DSLR?
In reply to rouchefoucald, Sep 26, 2013

On the otherhand - if someone does buy a DSLR - there will be a first they buy.

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +11 more
Leswick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,102
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Sep 26, 2013

Ha....it's not about the rig....it's what you do with it.

Leswick

cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,205Gear list
Like?
Wannabe like Ashton Kutcher

yonsarh wrote:

Infact I am one of them.

1. build quality

Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. Do you think Nikon's is really noticeably better? The D600 oily shutter rumors actually makes me think they have worse build quality than any competitor.

2. brand

Why would someone choose the brand? Nikon Sounds cooler than Canon? I'm not sure I understand...

3. many options for lenses

For just about any user, I'm not aware of any company that doesn't make enough lenses to satisfy 99% of everyone's needs.

4. mainly for professional or amateur work

Huh?

5. other

Because that's what was recommended by the salesman!!! Or there Uncle, who's daughter in law has one and he said she really likes it.

If other, please specify thanks.

I actually thought most first time buyers got Canon Rebels, cause they're cheap, and available at Walmart, Target and Fred Meyer.

Human156
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

For me, a simple answer: price.  I have always been a "Canon guy" and used and loved my FTB ql for years.  Then digital came along and I used a series of rinky dink cameras until I could stand it no longer.  I started looking for DSLRs at the lower end of the price range and very recently came across factory remanufactured Nikon D5100s that seemed to be flooding the market.  I ended up getting the body, 88-55 and 55-400 lenses, all Nikon for about what I would pay for a T3i and standard lens.  So far, the D5100 looks like a great camera.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,215Gear list
Like?
Re: Actually, no
In reply to Marty4650, Sep 26, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

Canon is the market leader, but they don't have a majority of the sales. No one does.

Ah the grammar police Yes I meant more people not most.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,027Gear list
Like?

There are lots of people who don't choose Nikon for their first SLR. My first SLR was a Mamiya-Sekor 1000DTL, a basic film camera with the very novel and useful feature of TTL switchable spot meter and average meter. It also used the universal screw mount (lots of lenses out there) and was cheaper than Nikon.

Fast forward to 2010, and my first DSLR, a Canon 60D. I have interests in nature photography and macro photography, and Canon has two unique lenses that Nikon lacks: 1. The Ultimate Portable Greater-than-1X Macro setup, the MP-E 65mm f/2.8, and matching dual-flash system      2. An affordable high quality bird photography lens, the 400mm f/5.6 L.

Nikon is a great system, no doubt about that, but there are other systems with other strengths.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646Gear list
Like?
Newsflash: Drive by Trolling claims over 30 victims. (n/t)
In reply to yonsarh, Sep 27, 2013
-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,318
Like?
Typical Troll action
In reply to Dan Marchant, Sep 27, 2013

Creates a thread with a controversial opening and is then never seen again.

brettmeikle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,630
Like?
It could only be the sheeple effect...
In reply to yonsarh, Sep 27, 2013

...even if it were true (which it emphatically isn't).  That accolade goes to Canon 

-- hide signature --

Brett Meikle
http://brettmeiklephoto.smugmug.com/
'Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.’
Sir Winston Churchill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads