Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,736Gear list
Like?
Not even close.
In reply to yonsarh, 10 months ago

Minolta

Canon

Nikon

Canon again.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

yonsarh wrote:

Infact I am one of them.

1. build quality

2. brand

3. many options for lenses

4. mainly for professional or amateur work

5. other

If other, please specify thanks.

Mindless brainwashing.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Beach Bum
Contributing MemberPosts: 816
Like?
Aren't you special?
In reply to jonrobertp, 10 months ago

jonrobertp wrote:

Minolta

Canon

Nikon

Canon again.

Hurray for you.

masticina
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

yonsarh wrote:

Mmm smug title..I can see that smile on your face. Really dude, just no!

Infact I am one of them.

Cool

1. build quality

I can compare a Nikon D3000 to a Canon 1100D and find the same plasticky plastic. The same build quality.. it is what you get for that price. Nikon doesn't has for the price better build quality then the other brands. Actually if you take a look at pentax you might find weathersealing on bodies cheaper then when nikon finally adds weathersealing.

Also welcome in the new age of mirrorless cameras. Some of them are very well build and guess what cheaper then the usual DSLR.

2. brand

You mean canikon? Well Nikon is a second in sales past Canon. Sony follows third..

Mmm depends how you see it, yes you have allot of choices but what is the lens many buyers end up buying.. yes one of the 7 latest nikon lenses in the lower price range. So even though you have allot of lenses and an F mount legacy you can work on.. so few actually use that.

Second because the 3000 and 5000 series don't have an in body focussing engine many old lenses become manual focus only. So .. ya know. How many people will buy AI lenses? Unless you are someone who doesn't minds manual focus and does knows to find the special lenses you probably won't.

How many people don't end up buying the same lenses. Not a bad thing but this does weakens the claim "many lenses." Maybe that is why they removed the focussing motor from the 3000 and 5000 range. Because they thought "Those people will never use old glass anyway"

May I point out that there are other brands that actually kept in body focus motors .. that you can put 30 year old glass on those bodies even out of 2013 and guess what they auto focus.

So it is cook nikon retain the F mount. But by stripping out the focus motor they did cripple the lower bodies. What does that tell you? That they really support the idea of you using 40 year old glass? What if you find a cheap nikon film body with a 50mm F1.4 on it. Awesome right. I agree, to bad it will be manual focus only on the lower bodies :

Mmm I see a problem, many amateurs end up buying DX lenses. Because they are cheaper and good enough for their current bodies. Hell maybe even that 18-200mm because no more changing lenses. How many of those will ever go up to the Pro range..

How many of them will ever hunt down a piece of 35 year old 50mm f1.4 "manual focus only" glass.

How many of them actually buy a flash. How many of them actually take the time to learn their camera through and through.

In the end the brand doesn't matter.. you can see a pro shoot images with a Kodak DCS. Or a Fujifilm XPro, or a Canon 600D. Or yes indeed Leica, Leica draws in allot of people with money. And for a good reason, good glass, good sensors.. sure it is a whole different level if pricing but to some people it is worth it. And it makes many people on this forum drool when they see the images.

Second many amateurs nowadays end up with mirrorless cameras. And guess what both Canon and Nikon are not the big names in that area. panasonic and olympus came with the MFT. Unable to win the game with the big sensors they pretty much made a whole new market.

And their products are very nice with quick focus. In a small body with some really good sharp lenses. It makes people ask "Why even stick with a mirror if these smaller ones are this good"

And then you have the Sony Nex, yeah its selling well. Sony still needs to get more lenses out for it but the ability to put on mount adapters make this platform a huge hit.

Canikon is big in DSLR yes.. that is a fact. BUT on the upcoming market of the ILC, the mirrorless, Canikon is nothing! Guess why the Canon 100D exists.. they have to strip down models to get them to low enough price ranges to not lose out on the long term.

5. other

Eh nikon is nice, so is canon, so is Sony, so is Pentax, so is Olympus, so is Panasonic so is Leica, so is..

Nikon is not the King, neither is even Canon, yes DSLR sales big.. but many other cameras in different areas of the market are showing up that are nibbling at the two big leaders. And it seems so far that both have little as anwser on this onslaught of little flish.

Hell there is even that black magic video camera that takes MFT lenses. Now why you ask is this important, well remember that video is getting more important.. how about a camera that shoots raw video. RAW VIDEO.. unsharpened, not giving extra contrast, no extra coloring. With allot for details showing that the codecs in our Video DSLR"s blurr out.

Many new markets are opening up at the bottom and so far Nikon and Canon haven't really fought back.

masticina's gear list:masticina's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
kiirokurisu
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
Re: Why almost everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

Actually I see far more tourists with entry-level Canon cameras, so I think you might be mistaken.

Incidentally the correct grammar is 'almost everyone', not 'most everyone'. Easy mistake to make.

new boyz
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?

Mostly because camera shops suggest Canon/Nikon cameras to the first time DSLR buyers. For experienced users(like us), it's easier to shop online. Comparisons are easier to make. Then we go to try the camera just before we buy it. For the first timers, they don't know what to look for, so they asked the salesman. Guess what he told them?

BTW, my first DSLR was a Nikon. Now I use Sony. Most of my close friends had a Canon as their first camera though.

new boyz's gear list:new boyz's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony 50mm F1.4 +4 more
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
Might want to look at the history of Nikon

The history of Nikon and Canon might prove interesting to the OP.

-- hide signature --

Hindsight is better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

TitusXIII
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?

Because I used to shoot an FE-2 in the days of film and all the lenses would fit a Nikon DSLR.

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,113
Like?
Re: They don't!
In reply to Sean65, 10 months ago

Sean65 wrote:

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

Canon has been the worldwide volume leader in DSLR sales since 2003. Nikon is second, Sony a distant third.

Mmmm, quantity not quality though and that's why all the big agencies dumped their dodgy Canons when Nikon released the D3.

1D Mark 2 + 3 were disaster cameras for Canon. All kinds of issues that countless firmware updates didn't rectify. A complete marketing disaster for Canon who still haven't really recovered the market share they lost.

Perhaps you could argue, they got too big for their boots and Nikon were ready to knock em down.

Where do these sales figures come from, that back up your claim?

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,113
Like?
In reply to harrygilbert, 10 months ago

harrygilbert wrote:

yonsarh wrote:

Infact I am one of them.

1. build quality

2. brand

5. other

Before I respond, note that I have the highest respect for Nikon (and all the various brands). Choice of camera is a personal thing, and I firmly believe that a good photographer can make great images with any brand. My allergist makes wonderful images with his Pentax. That said...

The factors you cite above are EXACTLY why I chose Canon. At just about every sports event, I see a sea of white lenses. When they show politicos on TV, it seems that a majority of photo journalists have Canons. When I go to photograph wildlife, Canon predominates among the "serious" photographers. The majority of Nikons I see are mid-level "prosumer" cameras owned by amateurs. And three other factors drove me to choose Canon over Nikon:

That's funny. A few posts up, we were told that all those professionals have dumped their Canon cameras in favor of Nikon. Maybe Nikon has started making white lenses?... Or maybe it was just hot air.

Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961Gear list
Like?

My first DSLR was a Sony. It was more reasonably priced, had good handling, and Sony makes the sensors for both Nikon and Canon anyway!

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
Where did you get this information?

Can you supply a link to a reputable source showing that Nikon is the first choice of the majority?  I don't believe it's true.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,736Gear list
Like?
Thank you.
In reply to Beach Bum, 10 months ago

Beach Bum wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

Minolta

Canon

Nikon

Canon again.

Hurray for you.

Thank you, sir.  Have a nice day too.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,039Gear list
Like?

Sean65 wrote:

1D Mark 2 + 3 were disaster cameras for Canon. All kinds of issues that countless firmware updates didn't rectify. A complete marketing disaster for Canon who still haven't really recovered the market share they lost.

Perhaps you could argue, they got too big for their boots and Nikon were ready to knock em down.

Sean

-- hide signature --

Not everyone who says something has something to say.

Started out on Canon Digital Rebel, as it was first DSLR for under $1,000. I had the 1 D2 & 3. The 1D3 spent a few trips to Canon for repairs. When the 5D2 came out with the same crappy focusing system as the 5D, I bought a D700. Liked it so much bought a second D700 and unloaded all my Canon gear, which at the time was four Canon DSLRs (I did own six), and 12 "L" series lenses. I'm now getting an Olympus M1. If it lives up to its hype I see myself unloading half my Nikon gear.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,039Gear list
Like?
In reply to masticina, 10 months ago

masticina wrote:

May I point out that there are other brands that actually kept in body focus motors .. that you can put 30 year old glass on those bodies even out of 2013 and guess what they auto focus.

Talk to a Canon user pre 1987, he/she may disagree with you.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Sir Pics A Lot
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

yonsarh wrote:

Infact I am one of them.

1. build quality

I agree.  I heard the Pentax K-5 is made out of Styrofoam.

2. brand

I wish there were more options than Nikon or generic.

Why don't other manufacturers make something besides a kit lens?

I heard Sony was working with Zeiss to make a lens.  Let's wait and see.

I still can't figure out what Canon cameras are for.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Most everyone?

Most? - I think Canon outsell Nikon

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

Sean65 wrote:

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

Canon has been the worldwide volume leader in DSLR sales since 2003. Nikon is second, Sony a distant third.

Mmmm, quantity not quality though and that's why all the big agencies dumped their dodgy Canons when Nikon released the D3.

All the big agencies? Still seeing plenty of white lenses at major events.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
If your statement is true then ...

there must be a lot of people who regrets

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
domina
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to harrygilbert, 10 months ago

harrygilbert wrote:

The factors you cite above are EXACTLY why I chose Canon. At just about every sports event, I see a sea of white lenses. When they show politicos on TV, it seems that a majority of photo journalists have Canons. When I go to photograph wildlife, Canon predominates among the "serious" photographers. The majority of Nikons I see are mid-level "prosumer" cameras owned by amateurs. And three other factors drove me to choose Canon over Nikon:

1. Ergonomics in the Canon, especially the menu system, seemed more logical to me than Nikon's (what do I know; I'm only an industrial engineer trained in ergonomics).

2. Canon's support far exceeded that provided by Nikon, when I helped a friend solve a technical problem with his Nikon, while Canon has a help line with a human (!) who answered all my questions when I called; to download camera manuals when doing pre-purchase research, Nikon required a serial number, while Canon offered no hindrance. When I bought a Nikon film scanner (Coolscan 5000), the Nikon software sucked, and Nikon was unable to resolve problems -- I had to purchase 3rd party software.

3. Canon provides free post-processing software with their cameras.

Just my 2 cents.

I chose Canon EOS 60D as my first DSLR after I asked a girl on YouTube what camera she used to make a video of her belly-dancing to metal music, as she had the best quality video among all other belly dancers and industrial/EBM dancers on YouTube. She told me she had used a Canon Rebel DSLR, so I immediately went to a shop and bought a Rebel (600D). It had a very small grip for my hands though, its ergonomics sucked, it was as if it was designed for people with very small hands. So, I returned it to the shop and got the bigger model, the 60D, which I still happily use. Afterwards, I got a Sony NEX-F3 with a fisheye for spy photography, a Canon SX50 superzoom (1200mm equivalent!) for the same reason, and a used Canon 5D MkI (the Classic) for full-frame lenses.

-- hide signature --

I'm against privacy rights and everyone who doesn't want to appear in my photos is my enemy! Nobody has the right to refuse to be photographed! Profile pic by me, not me. My Flickr has some Creative Commons pics for you to remix upon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads