K-01 is a good toy

Started Sep 24, 2013 | User reviews
MaDog
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
K-01 is a good toy
Sep 24, 2013

I bought one and like it. Size is not a bad thing, has a bigger batery and K-mount. The IQ is very good and the image quality is also very good. With newest firmware the AF is good.

MaDog's gear list:MaDog's gear list
Pentax K-01
MaDog's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,530
Like?
Re: K-01 is a good toy
In reply to MaDog, Sep 24, 2013

The K01 is a good camera.  Thanks for your review.

Dale

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,816Gear list
Like?
In reply to MaDog, Sep 25, 2013

Of course, it was marketed to hipsters as a toy because of the odd investment in a design stylist, but it is neither a toy in terms of image quality nor anything that would remotely attract hipster interest. Mostly good engineering, and conceptually deserves to live on if only Pentax/Ricoh thinks through the opportunities for a more-refined version (and recognizes that failure was 99% a marketing issue).

Has anyone realized that the k-mount can be modified in such a way that it accommodates two versions of k-mount lenses? If you narrow the body mounting ring very slightly on mirrorless bodies, you can still use fully functioning existing k-mount lenses - and add a new design for mirrorless only. Create a few new mirrorless pancake lenses that can only fit through the new, slightly wider body mount and take advantage of the otherwise vacant mirror box space - and now you have a system that does not require the slop that comes with those geeky adapters. Wow, innovation!

Might be the best Pentax avenue to achieving FF for the masses. Add an EF, and you have a new concept without going hog wild on a totally new system. Keep in mind, tiny Pentax has three totally independent body/lens systems already so some innovation really is necessary.

Just offering some inside (the mirror-box) thinking.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Buttons252
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?

MaDog wrote:

I bought one and like it. Size is not a bad thing, has a bigger batery and K-mount. The IQ is very good and the image quality is also very good. With newest firmware the AF is good.

I wouldnt even call it a toy.  Its one of the best cameras ive ever had period.  It was ugly, bulky, and weird ergonomics.  You know what i loved about it?  Set it to AV, set my aperture to F2.8, auto WB, auto iso to 6400 and i could just focus on my composition and taking photos without worry about camera settings.  My only complaint though, i wish it was thinner, better grip and came with a PK lens adapter mount.  That way we could use its excellent focus peaking with other manual focus lenses.

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-A1
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434Gear list
Like?

MaDog wrote:

...The IQ is very good and the image quality is also very good. ...

Agree this camera has been bashed beyond recognition... while it delivers very very good IQ !

ps. IQ = Image Quality

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,030Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNR, Sep 26, 2013

JNR wrote:

Of course, it was marketed to hipsters as a toy because of the odd investment in a design stylist, but it is neither a toy in terms of image quality nor anything that would remotely attract hipster interest. Mostly good engineering, and conceptually deserves to live on if only Pentax/Ricoh thinks through the opportunities for a more-refined version (and recognizes that failure was 99% a marketing issue).

Has anyone realized that the k-mount can be modified in such a way that it accommodates two versions of k-mount lenses? If you narrow the body mounting ring very slightly on mirrorless bodies, you can still use fully functioning existing k-mount lenses - and add a new design for mirrorless only. Create a few new mirrorless pancake lenses that can only fit through the new, slightly wider body mount and take advantage of the otherwise vacant mirror box space - and now you have a system that does not require the slop that comes with those geeky adapters.

Hi JNR,

The adapters, Metabones and Novoflex are not so sloppy anymore. Not so cheap either. It would remain to be seen how much better TP adapters for a design such as this would be anyway. I think it would be a good idea, but Pentax would sell less lenses if one could adapt Zeiss, Leica or old Canon FD lenses to the cam for instance. What about just putting a FF sensor in the K-01 and keeping the K-mount intact? Add a EVF and improve the visibility of the FP on the LCD in sunlight and you're off.

Cheers.

Wow, innovation!

Might be the best Pentax avenue to achieving FF for the masses. Add an EF, and you have a new concept without going hog wild on a totally new system. Keep in mind, tiny Pentax has three totally independent body/lens systems already so some innovation really is necessary.

Just offering some inside (the mirror-box) thinking.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
JNR
JNR
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Sep 26, 2013

Going straight to FF with the existing mount would be OK - and certainly a minimum investment. My reasoning for creating a subset of the existing mount is for the purpose of taking advantage of the mirror box space and closer registration distance, allowing for a small set of quality near-pancake sized lenses (especially wide to medium FoV). You would effectively answer the complaints that the K-01 does not fully utilize the compactness allowed by mirrorless.

Bottom line, you would have a very small FF body-lens system, and still have access to all the K-mount lenses without need for any kind of adapter. As such, a unique proposition. The marketing would practically write itself (perhaps I'm too optimistic considering the poor marketing record on new roll-outs).

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,030Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNR, Sep 27, 2013

JNR wrote:

Going straight to FF with the existing mount would be OK - and certainly a minimum investment. My reasoning for creating a subset of the existing mount is for the purpose of taking advantage of the mirror box space and closer registration distance, allowing for a small set of quality near-pancake sized lenses (especially wide to medium FoV). You would effectively answer the complaints that the K-01 does not fully utilize the compactness allowed by mirrorless.

Bottom line, you would have a very small FF body-lens system, and still have access to all the K-mount lenses without need for any kind of adapter. As such, a unique proposition. The marketing would practically write itself (perhaps I'm too optimistic considering the poor marketing record on new roll-outs).

I think it is a great idea but agree they are unlikely to do it.  There is the problem of edge sharpness with short registration cameras and the larger FF sensor with a WA lens being even more prone to the problem.  However, the view in the Sony forum, where this topic is discussed at length (related to the big rumour of the FF-NEX) is that Zeiss have figured out how to correct successfully for edge sharpness on short registration FF sensors.  How do we know this since nobody makes a FF MILC yet?  It remains to be proven when some maker finally brings out a FF MILC so we'll only know for sure then.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,793
Like?
In reply to MaDog, Sep 27, 2013

More than just a toy. Bought one a year ago, gaffer-taped a Hoodman loupe on the back, and found it just excellent for architectural photography. Best return-on-investment ever! Works perfectly with PocketWizard Plus triggers and Yong-Nuo 560-II flashes, on a tripod. Superb image quality, just superb. have also used it a few times with an old 50mm  f/1.4 Pentax A lens on a reversing ring, for closeups of very small parts.

Limitations? Fast-breaking action. Birds or airplanes in flight, all that. Why? Because of it's non-DSLR mechanical design, it is just too slow focusing. Get a K5-30-50-500 for motion... besides fast focus, you really need that eye-level viewfinder.

One last thought. They sell a sky-blue K-01 in Japan, and it just looks beautiful!

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue, San Diego, California

JNR
JNR
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Sep 27, 2013

Petroglyph wrote:

JNR wrote:

I think it is a great idea but agree they are unlikely to do it. There is the problem of edge sharpness with short registration cameras and the larger FF sensor with a WA lens being even more prone to the problem. However, the view in the Sony forum, where this topic is discussed at length (related to the big rumour of the FF-NEX) is that Zeiss have figured out how to correct successfully for edge sharpness on short registration FF sensors. How do we know this since nobody makes a FF MILC yet? It remains to be proven when some maker finally brings out a FF MILC so we'll only know for sure then.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

I completely agree with your analysis. Clearly, it is expensive and tricky to engineer those short-registration wide angle lenses and get good edge sharpness. Also, sensors have issues in receiving light from steep angles that are not apparent in film (that's why hoping DA lenses that do OK on FF film cameras is a fool's gold promise when a FF digital sensor comes our way).

However, the market seems to be demanding this - and Pentax is not doing as well as Olympus in the market (micro 4/3rds) for the one main reason that the compactness issue trumps image quality. I'd be very satisfied with the status quo at Pentax - and just resolve issues such as flash performance, quick AF tracking, better view responsiveness (CDAF or on-sensor PDAF - don't care which). Not sure solving basic items I want is good enough for the broader market, though.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
In reply to MaDog, Sep 27, 2013

It actually is a great camera. We have two in the house and like the always spot on AF, resolution, tonality, and the ability to mass develop DNG RAW, getting darn near perfect results every time.

How would sales have been if the poorly made - biased reviews did not exist?

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

robertophoto
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeDaBassPlayer, Sep 28, 2013

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

It actually is a great camera. We have two in the house and like the always spot on AF, resolution, tonality, and the ability to mass develop DNG RAW, getting darn near perfect results every time.

How would sales have been if the poorly made - biased reviews did not exist?

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

What is "the ability to mass develop DNG RAW"??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads