Dpreview still the slowest kid on the block, where is that G6 review ??

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Discussions
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Dpreview still the slowest kid on the block, where is that G6 review ??
In reply to jagge, Sep 25, 2013

Not having a policy is a policy. An implicit strategy is still a strategy.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Sutton 15
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to lighthunter80, Sep 25, 2013

lighthunter80 wrote:

Well, this site is free and no one is forced to look at it.

I don't understand why people think they have some sort of right to get what they want from dpr. They deliver what they think is of interest for their readers and at the time they can or want to.

End of story. If you don't like it go somewhere else, frankly speaking.

Did I mention dpr is free?!

So what if it's free? People still have the right to complain and discuss.

peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
Which is used to take more photos?

jagge wrote:

Yet again Dpreview cements is position as propably the slowest review site on the web. How that can be a viable busyness strategy never fails to amaze me.

The G6 has now been pending for 5 MONTHS, which in panasonic terms are propably halfway into the product cycle.

this is a quote from Dppreview:

""DPReview editor Barnaby Britton spent his weekend taking pictures on the new Apple iPhone 5s...""

it makes sense they dont have time to review real cams...

jakob

An iPhone 4s or all Panasonic G's combined? I'll help, not the Panasonic's.
Which is the most popular camera? An iPhone or any of the Panasonic G's?
IPhone. Which is quite possibly the most popular camera on the face of the earth (take a look at Flickr).
And you question them prioritizing iPhone over a Panasonic G6?

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,555Gear list
Like?
Re: How would DPR become an insignificant review site...
In reply to peppermonkey, Sep 25, 2013

peppermonkey wrote:

jagge wrote:

peppermonkey wrote:

At least for DPR in its perspective of the camera market in respect to DPR's viewership. And in some way it's true. The grand majority of DPR viewers don't really care for the Panasonic G series, irregardless of whether or not that's how it should be or not. Even in this forum, let alone the whole site, most only care for Oly E-Mx, or the various pens, etc.

DPR has for a while now only given full reviews (plus previews) to the most popular/hyped cameras, and previews only for the somewhat less popular ones.

Fact of the matter is the Sony RX100's are just way more popular than the Panasonic G's, heck, I would presume even the

the bigger issue is that dppreview ditches its loyal users again and again.

the term "preview" implies a upcoming review. If that is NOT the intention the staff here should be serious and respect the users by calling it "product news" or something else.

jakob

if they are serving their majority of customers? What? Because they aren't tending to the wishes of an insignificant few, they are going to become insignificant themselves? They are still tending to all the big names, as well as the big name mirrorless cameras (E-M1, E-M5, various NEX's, etc. etc.). It's a numbers game and G6 just isn't going to drive in as many numbers as say a Rebel would, or any Oly m43 camera for that matter.

The E-P5 has not been reviewed so even super glamour brands get the odd cold treatment.

The preview culture has been forced on DPR by the rumour sites and the use of them by the manufacturers to release information early whilst forbidding sites like DPR to report this early. In order to make the news section semi-respectable, DPR almost has to release a preview for any camera it wants to report about. More previews quickly = fewer full reviews eventually.

On the other hand, some of the previews have been padded with more gallery sample pictures, comparison shots, etc. and contain almost the same kind of information as full reviews minus the score sheet. For a careful reader this is perhaps enough data to make their own decisions without being force-fed a percentage mark and silver award.

DPR should just, after padding out a preview enough, rename it "short review" and leave it as that, and concentrate on only evaluating the truly different cameras (not the G5/6 which are just rehashes of the GH2, nor the E-P5 which is just a combination of E-M5 and E-PL5) in detail.

agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Sutton 15, Sep 25, 2013

John Sutton 15 wrote:

lighthunter80 wrote:

Well, this site is free and no one is forced to look at it.

I don't understand why people think they have some sort of right to get what they want from dpr. They deliver what they think is of interest for their readers and at the time they can or want to.

End of story. If you don't like it go somewhere else, frankly speaking.

Did I mention dpr is free?!

So what if it's free? People still have the right to complain and discuss.

this is called feedback. if people would just say "well, i won't come to dpreview because of X" and keep it to themselves on account of the site being free, the traffic would decrease without the staff having any idea as to what they have done wrong. and then they might try to fix the situation by adopting a solution that further displeases the remaining audience. but they won't know, because of the "shut up, it's free" rhetoric.

so complaining means that we care.

there's also the option of being a fanboy and pretending that everything is perfect, and whoever has a different opinion should just "leave". well, if you want the DPReview site and forums to be visited by only you and your 9 other friends who agree with you, that's fine. but it won't last long after everyone has left for better places.

by the way, no internet site is free these days. whenever you see advertisement, even if it's those price quotes at the end of reviews, previews, etc., that means that the website generates revenue from you viewing it.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Andrew Butterfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,435Gear list
Like?
Re: G6 is an insignicant camera...

peppermonkey wrote:

The grand majority of DPR viewers don't really care for the Panasonic G series

I think that's a bit of a generalisation!

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Andrew Butterfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,435Gear list
Like?
Re: Which is used to take more photos?

DPReview editor Barnaby Britton spent his weekend taking pictures on the new Apple iPhone 5s...""

it makes sense they dont have time to review real cams...

Yep, the staff here should give up their weekends to review cameras, not have fun on their days off.

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,107Gear list
Like?
Larger companies tend to become more complacent and less hungry

jagge wrote:

Yet again Dpreview cements is position as propably the slowest review site on the web. How that can be a viable busyness strategy never fails to amaze me.

The G6 has now been pending for 5 MONTHS, which in panasonic terms are propably halfway into the product cycle.

Ohh the G5 review has been pending for 14 months... wow I guess its also a strategy to wait so long that the next model comes out. The point is that it is apparently more difficult for dpreview to make a simple cam review than it is for Panasonic to develop a new camera all together....

In fact there has been no review of the G line since july 2011, think about that. In stead they make reviews of cameras like the new Sony RX100 which clearly is the same as the predecessor more or less.

It seems that dpreview has no sense of where the development is at all. I can be argued that many of the G line cams are so close that it does not warrant a review, in case of the G5 and especially the G6 there are major upgrades though.

Personally I think its a shame that Dpreview are getting slower and slower, and has lost the "finger on the pulse" all together. I would advice anyone to start looking towards much more dynamic sites like cameralabs.com . Especially that site seems to deliver what dpreview once did. Also steve huff is good for user experiences in the mirror less segment.

Best wishes

Jakob

Well Jakob,

this doesn't mean that DPR are bad.  It just means that, like any larger company, they have grown a bit of complacency, while their employees have become a bit less hungry.  Compared to one man shops such as cameralabs, say.

Even the most admired companies fall prey to this:  witness Apple, who seem to have been almost totally unable to innovate for over a year now.  It takes a lot of hard work, and very high quality processes, to manage to preserve total dedication within a larger corporation.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
It is a generalization...but I doubt I am incorrect...
In reply to Andrew Butterfield, Sep 25, 2013

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

peppermonkey wrote:

The grand majority of DPR viewers don't really care for the Panasonic G series

I think that's a bit of a generalisation!

-- hide signature --

Mind you, I said DPR viewers, not DPR forum readers. Most people wouldn't bother or probably don't even notice the forums (yes, another generalization but I'm fairly certain this is also correct).

And we pretty much know that DPR does priorities by which ever brings in the most hits/page reads...which is obviously Canon's and Nikon's. Compared to the average folks who come to read the articles at DPR (i.e. not us), the Panasonic G's are...well...not that popular...

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
Jakob.... you need to be more realistic

While it is true that Dpreview used to produce more reviews, and more timely reviews, when they had a staff of three than when they have a staff of fifteen like they do today, there are several good reasons for this:

• The Reviews have become much more detailed and complicated. It just takes a whole lot more work to produce a 24 page review than it does to produce an 8 page review. This is the price we pay for having the most thorough and in depth reviews. However, you still must give them credit for grinding out a lot of previews and first impressions, even if you have to get the full reviews from someone else.
  • The site has expanded it's scope. This is no longer a camera review site. It is now a digital imaging review site, which includes cell phones. And this is despite the same staff also supporting a separate site expressly for cell phones. Like it or not, this is now a "Camera Plus Cell Phone" site.
  • The site has expanded it's services. Dpreview used to have two elements to it. Camera reviews plus forums. But a lot has changed since 1998. What started out as 15 forums has grown to become 61. They have added galleries, generous image hosting, challenges, polls, gear selling, lens reviews, buying guides, private messaging, bookmarks, email notifications, and shilling for Apple. All of these things take time away from the staff here. All of these things need to be supported, so even with a larger staff, there may not be enough resources for creating timely reviews.

It is important to remember that 15 years is a long time on the internet. There has been a change of ownership and a change of leadership here, so it is only natural that many other things would change too.

In many ways, these changes have been very good things. We certainly do get many more services from this website, even if we aren't getting timely reviews anymore. And if you are a cell phone guy, then you should be thrilled.

But I'm not even sure if the reviews ever were that speedy here. There were always other websites spitting out faster, albeit less detailed reviews. I seem to recall complaints ten years ago about the lack of reviews. So that part really isn't new. We just think it's something new, but it has been an often voiced complaint here. So this really might be much ado about nothing.

The bottom line still is... it's still free, and no one else does a much better job of it.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
dscottsatx
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: Jakob.... you need to be more realistic
In reply to Marty4650, Sep 25, 2013

The 800lb gorilla philosophy, "If we do it, we'll do a really good job (unless we don't), but if we don't do it, we don't really care because we are the 800lb gorilla."
DPReview used to be the first camera review site I checked every day (and it's still the site I check first for old reviews), but I don't check DPReview first, or even every day, anymore. It's starting to stagnate.
There are other camera oriented sites out there that change their content in a more timely fashion. Some offer news, some offer reviews, some offer rumors, some offer forums. I go there first, here last.

dscottsatx's gear list:dscottsatx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads