NEX Anti-reflection coating failure

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Questions
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
NEX Anti-reflection coating failure
Sep 24, 2013

The screen protector on my nearly 2 yr old NEX5N started coming off so I completed the process only to find that the anti-reflection (or some lind of coating) has come away ina pretty random fashion. I have a photo but not at work & will try to post later.

I contacted the screen protection supplier who said "not us, it's a common fault with NEX's & Sony will replace it FOC". Contacted Sony UK who said "no, not common send it in & we will repair it at a cost to be advised"

Has anyone else had this problem & if so how were you treated - any thoughts ?

Many thanks

RT

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX Anti-reflection coating failure
In reply to DistantView, Sep 24, 2013

DistantView wrote:

The screen protector on my nearly 2 yr old NEX5N started coming off so I completed the process only to find that the anti-reflection (or some lind of coating) has come away ina pretty random fashion. I have a photo but not at work & will try to post later.

I contacted the screen protection supplier who said "not us, it's a common fault with NEX's & Sony will replace it FOC". Contacted Sony UK who said "no, not common send it in & we will repair it at a cost to be advised"

Has anyone else had this problem & if so how were you treated - any thoughts ?

Many thanks

RT

After the coating started to flake off my old NEX-5 after a couple of years daily use, I stuck a sharp blade  (or maybe the tip of a jeweller's flat-head screwdriver?) under the edge of it carefully, and it peeled off cleanly in one, leaving a pristine, clear (and reflective) glass surface underneath! I wonder if you got underneath the coating properly to remove it?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris 1
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

Yep it's a known issue, people have said Sony will repair under warranty, there also are some aftermarket replacements. I will be sending mine in before the warranty expires, then try to find an anti reflective protector on top to protect it

Chris 1's gear list:Chris 1's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
martindesu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?

I also stumbled across this "common fault", and repaired it myself.

I documented the procedure:

http://www.martinirwinphotography.com/reviews/2013/8/19/repairing-the-nex-c3

I hope that helps anyone with this issue (and Sony won't fix it).

-- hide signature --
 martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Karsten Meyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 723
Like?

When I had peeled off this with my NEX-5, I had a very ugly screen where parts were reflecting and other parts not.

I got the whole screen as replacement for unter 40 Euro off ebay. It came with a short instruction guide and even with the fitting screwdriver.

-- hide signature --

--> See my photos on http://gplus.to/KarstenMeyer

DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Sep 24, 2013

Thanks for the help guys, I've also been pointed to David KP's article (on another site which can't be mentioned :-D)  which also goes down the replacement route.
So even though I'm a bit of a "Charlie Allthumbs" I'll probably try !

Many thanks again

Best wishes

RT

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads