Reality check ? Is this what m4/3 is really up against ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?
Re: Reality check ? Is this what m4/3 is really up against ?
In reply to agentul, 11 months ago

agentul wrote:

stimpy wrote:

But I get your point about Panasonic, who wants a camera from the same guys who made your microwave and the wife's hair dryer eh...

well, they also made those awesome Technics audio gear that was used back in the day, but you'd have to either be underground or have a deeper conversation than "give me money" with your parents to know that

Yeah, but Technics was founded back in the days when Panasonic didn't market itself aggressively as Panasonic overseas and was still known as Matsushita locally. Technics, to most people, is just Technics. Few hip hop DJs were going around saying they were rocking Panasonic turntables. The brand loyalty was to Technics only.

I think Panasonic are doing well by making the Panasonic name a bit less prominent on their Lumix gear. It's just that I think of Panasonic as a company that makes everything with a little better feature set and a little better price than Sony. That's hardly a sexy image. Nobody ever compared Technics to anyone; they stood alone. They were the best and the name Technics had some fanatical support, and you didn't see the word "Panasonic" all over them. Lumix isn't a brand name that means as much to people, hence they have a better chance at being recognized as a luxury camera brand as Lumix.

p.s. On that note, it's stupid of Nikon to try to sell a $1000+ camera with the similar name as the worst of the worst Coolpix cameras.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 11 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

I think Panasonic are doing well by making the Panasonic name a bit less prominent on their Lumix gear. It's just that I think of Panasonic as a company that makes everything with a little better feature set and a little better price than Sony. That's hardly a sexy image.

well, considering how many people (especially in the US) are still holding Sony in high regard, being better (at features and value) than Sony actually seems like it can be worth something. personally, Sony failed me and I will try to avoid their products from now on.

Nobody ever compared Technics to anyone; they stood alone.

I think that Tascam also stood alone. they may have even been "more alone", since I don't remember seeing Tascam Hi-Fi gear in Neckermann magazines as a kid. But I really wanted a Technics setup. By the time I had enough money to buy one, I just bough a PC with a good sound card and good surround speakers.

Lumix isn't a brand name that means as much to people, hence they have a better chance at being recognized as a luxury camera brand as Lumix.

i highly doubt that Lumix will be a luxury brand. not unless they start putting stickers with the MSRP on them, like they had for Megapixels and Zoom a few years ago.

p.s. On that note, it's stupid of Nikon to try to sell a $1000+ camera with the similar name as the worst of the worst Coolpix cameras.

not really. the idea is actually better - you start off with a P&S and grow up to the $1000 DSLR, all within the same ecosystem. it builds brand loyalty. What would a D7100 user buy for his mother/girlfriend/child? well, look, Nikon also has these Coolpix cameras. You already know the brand, the risk is less than suddenly saying Panasonic.

the past few years have shown that product segmentation into different brands is a bad idea. look at the auto and airline industries.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
Wilu
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

this is a bit off-topic, but...

stimpy wrote:

What doesn't help much is the big DSLR type bodies, EM5 EM1 GH3, they should play on the size aspect, small and compact - retro like the GX7 will appeal to a huge market of hipsters who like taking photos and also wants something that looks good around their necks.

size is the reason i bought a GH3 and sold the E-M5. and i wouldn't want to go back even though the OM-D has slightly better IQ. some people like small cameras, other people prefer bigger ones. please Panasonic and Olympus, (continue to) make both kinds of cameras to cater for both kind of people. even if the body isn't terribly small, there's still the size advantage compared to other formats once you put more than just one lens in your bag. plus, the GH3 isn't a big camera by any means, on an absolute level.

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?
In reply to agentul, 11 months ago

It hasn't done Lexus or Infiniti any harm in the US.

Perhaps they should go back to Toyota or Nissan ?

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,541Gear list
Like?
In reply to amvrvd, 11 months ago

amvrvd wrote:

s_grins wrote:

I can't understand what the reason of the post? Is it an anger related to youtube promotional?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

What anger ? How could I be angry at someone I don't know, if anything I feel pity, that poor man was way out of his comfort zone. There's no space for anger in this kind of situation, I just wanted to share a little slice of the reality that surrounds mirrorless and the factual ignorance of the common consumer, even after 5 years. That ¨journalist¨(?) is the perfect representative of how deep Pany and Oly's marketing have reached people's mind, how can I be angry at the victim of such failures, If anything I'm angry or rather disappointed at Pany & oly marketing departments.

I'd recommend to you to fight your disappointment by taking some shots. This is the best reality check.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Andrew Butterfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,417Gear list
Like?

Because I'm seriously considering moving to MFT I've mentioned it to a few people and suddenly realised that no 'average' person seems to have a clue what MFT is.

When I explain, it's hard to tell someone the difference between an MFT camera and an APS-C SLR without it seeming somehow that MFT cameras are 'in between' compacts and SLRs not only in terms of size but also in terms of 'quality'.

That's a tricky thing perception problem MFT camera makers have to fight, and I guess that's one of the reasons for the EM-1. Price is a problem too, because often MFT cameras seem to be more expensive than 'better' APS-C SLRs. It's probably not obvious why that is to most people, so they will invent reasons for themselves. Perhaps they're 'fashion' cameras for people with more money than sense. Like Leicas. I'm not saying I think that of course.

I don't know how the camera makers can make the general public aware that MFT is a system largely equal to APS-C in terms of 'quality', or how they can persuade people to choose a system they perceive as being slightly less good, slightly less 'pro'. Non pros don't want to buy 'non pro' systems, they want 'pro' systems so they can be as good as pros, or think they are.

I think this is a problem, because if you get over it, like I have, you realise that a smaller, lighter system, while not necessarily cheaper, can be essentially just as good IQ-wise, and a lot nicer to carry around – the entire purpose of MFT.

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

Oh my! I could only watch about ten seconds before I felt too uncomfortable. Crash and burn! He needs some training on interviewing techniques. A perfect example of what not to do...

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Jon Ragnarsson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,263Gear list
Like?
My experience when trying to buy m43 lens in Florida...

It was impossible. I foolishly thought that a decent sized city of 230.000 people would have at least one camera store that carried some selection of m43 lenses and cameras.

It didn't even have a good general camera store. All I found were electronic chain stores with endless rows of Canon and Nikon entry-level-slow-kit-zoom-soccermom-models.

BUT.

There was a good selection of NEX cameras and lenses, and even Nikon 1s. So somebody at Sony and Nikon is doing their job. One store had E-M5 and other Olympus m43 cameras and lenses, but not Panasonic. But they only had the typical kit zoom lenses available.

-- hide signature --
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,046Gear list
Like?
Re: My experience when trying to buy m43 lens in Florida...
In reply to Jon Ragnarsson, 11 months ago

Jon Ragnarsson wrote:

It was impossible. I foolishly thought that a decent sized city of 230.000 people would have at least one camera store that carried some selection of m43 lenses and cameras.

It didn't even have a good general camera store. All I found were electronic chain stores with endless rows of Canon and Nikon entry-level-slow-kit-zoom-soccermom-models.

BUT.

There was a good selection of NEX cameras and lenses, and even Nikon 1s. So somebody at Sony and Nikon is doing their job. One store had E-M5 and other Olympus m43 cameras and lenses, but not Panasonic. But they only had the typical kit zoom lenses available.

-- hide signature --

Calumet in Philadelphia doesn't carry M43.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,049Gear list
Like?
Re: My experience when trying to buy m43 lens in Florida...
In reply to Jon Ragnarsson, 11 months ago

Jon Ragnarsson wrote:

One store had E-M5 and other Olympus m43 cameras and lenses, but not Panasonic. But they only had the typical kit zoom lenses available.

Where in Florida was this?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads