Lets Hear your iOS7 Horror Stories

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Questions
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,871Gear list
Like?
Re: Passcode Screen?
In reply to lanefAU, Sep 26, 2013

lanefAU wrote:

I can't get rid of it, when I go to "Passcode lock", the only option available is: "Immediately". In "Control Centre", I have set "Access on Lock Screen" to OFF, but it does not change anything. That could be a problem if in the future I want to sell the phone.

This isn't where you turn off the passcode.  All this does is turn access to the Control Center on or off from the passcode screen.

To turn off the passcode, in Settings go to General, then Passcode Lock.  You'll be prompted to enter the passcode.  After that, you can click on Turn Passcode Off.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
Re:Thanks Mark
In reply to Mark B., Sep 26, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

lanefAU wrote:

I can't get rid of it, when I go to "Passcode lock", the only option available is: "Immediately". In "Control Centre", I have set "Access on Lock Screen" to OFF, but it does not change anything. That could be a problem if in the future I want to sell the phone.

This isn't where you turn off the passcode. All this does is turn access to the Control Center on or off from the passcode screen.

To turn off the passcode, in Settings go to General, then Passcode Lock. You'll be prompted to enter the passcode. After that, you can click on Turn Passcode Off.

Mark

It was driving me crazy.

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,803Gear list
Like?
Re: Lets Hear your iOS7 Horror Stories
In reply to wklee, Sep 27, 2013

wklee wrote:

I like the new notification centre but double clicking the home button to show the multitasking bar will display only 3 apps with previews. Swipe upwards on the app preview to close the app. It was quicker to press and hold then click the x in iOS 6 for closing apps.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

I have an iPad Mini and iPhone 5 and when I double click the Home button by scrolling left and right I see ALL the open apps including previews of what they have open. So I don't know why you are claiming that there is only a display of three apps. Perhaps that is all you had open?

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Steven Wandy
Like?
Re: Snapseed Bug
In reply to Hulamike, Sep 27, 2013

Hulamike wrote:

Looks like Snapseed has an iOS7 bug that won't save certain edits. As one of my go to apps that makes iOS 7 a real looser for me.

I have not tried Snapseed yet till I read your post. What is curious is that when you bring a "filtered" shot into Snapseed, it only "sees" the unfiltered version. (Is this what you were referring to?) What I found funny is that the Google+ app has the same problem. Perhaps Apple's way of steering people away from Google (tongue somewhat firmly in cheek) as they are both Google products? Because Flickr and Instagram's apps see the filtered versions.

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, Sep 27, 2013

That is what I've read. I realize all bugs will eventually be fixed but I'm on the line about rushing into the new os. Besides, I think its plain and unexciting looking. Photos on white? wrong!

Steven Wandy
Like?

Definitely no "horror" stories. Updated two iPhone 5's and an iPad Mini and all went great. I happen like the new colors/format, though I can see why people who are complaining about all the basic apps now being so bright/white.

Only "issues" I have had is something I hope will change in the future update:

(1) When you take a filtered picture with the Camera app (and I do really like the new camera and Photo apps) and it is uploaded to Photostream (my method of choice for transferring photos to Aperture on my iMac), the other iOS devices see the filtered version but neither Aperture nor iPhoto on my iMac (latest version of operating system and apps) see the filtered version. Only way to get the filtered version onto the computer is to either email them or setup a "shared photostream".

(2) Also, some apps - like the ones by Google (Google+ and Snapseed) don't see the filtered versions, only the original one. Strange because both Flickr and Instagram see the filtered version and they are all accessing the Camera Roll.

(3) Major quibble with iTunes Radio. First off - I love it and already stopped paying for Spotify. But the only way to get rid of the commercials is to pay for iTunes Match. OK - no big deal - even though a bit of a pain since my library is way above their 25,000 imposed limit. But while on my iMac, iTunes will allow me to play my own music library OR iTunes Radio, the iOS devices are not that smart. Once you sign into iTunes Match (tried on both iPad Mini and iPhone 5), you can no longer access songs that you synced from your computer. So you are forced to use cellular data either for the iTunes Radio (understandable) or to stream your own files using iTunes Match. Do wish Apple will eventually let us just pay the same $25 fee without having to resort to iTunes Match.

Steven Wandy
Like?
In reply to Photato, Sep 27, 2013

Photato wrote:

Slower operations in general.

Have not found this.

Battery runs shorter.

Have heard a lot of complaints about this, but I have not really noticed it yet. And if so, for me I would put it down to accessing the phone more through the Notification Center and using iTunes Radio more.

With the native camera apps is harder to switch between Still and Video.

Someone else answered this.

Shutter now works in burst mode all the time. No longer works in "release to shoot".

Wow - did not even notice that yet. But I never used the "release to shoot" method anyway. Cool.

Photos app background is white when looking at pictures instead of black, hate that.

If you tap on a photo to enlarge it and then tap again, it changes the background from White to Black. But would be nice if there was an option to set the default background, but it is there.

Steven Wandy
Like?

Hulamike wrote:

That is what I've read. I realize all bugs will eventually be fixed but I'm on the line about rushing into the new os. Besides, I think its plain and unexciting looking. Photos on white? wrong!

Like I replied before, if you tap on a photo to enlarge it (from the basic view) and then tap again, it changes the background from white to black if you prefer that. They should have a setting to change the default backgrounds - or at least tone them down a bit.

I have read a lot of complaints about the stark white backgrounds in the basic apps, and I would assume that eventually there will be an option to change or darken it. Only really bothers me in the Photos app.

Hulamike
Like?

Yes. Isn't that why we're discussing it here? I want photo related horror stories. I could care less how my emails gonna work.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,958Gear list
Like?

Steven Wandy wrote

Like I replied before, if you tap on a photo to enlarge it (from the basic view) and then tap again, it changes the background from white to black if you prefer that.

I had not even noticed that until you posted. Much easier than digging into a menu to set. Once changed to black it stays black until you change it to white. Once white it stays white until you can it to black.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796Gear list
Like?

Steven Wandy wrote:

Photato wrote:

Slower operations in general.

Have not found this.

It depends on the Processor A4, A5, A6, etc

Ask iPhone 4 owners and they will tell you.

Is a well know fact that iOS7 is more resource hungry than iOS6 and before.

I have an iPod5 (A5 dual core processor) and i can tell is slower.

Battery runs shorter.

Have heard a lot of complaints about this, but I have not really noticed it yet. And if so, for me I would put it down to accessing the phone more through the Notification Center and using iTunes Radio more.

It should be, iOS7 is more resource intensive, hence shorter battery life.

I hope they optimize it as iOS7 matures, but for now iOS6 is more power efficient and iOS5 was even better in that regard.

With the native camera apps is harder to switch between Still and Video.

Someone else answered this.

A minor complain, not a deal breaker.

Shutter now works in burst mode all the time. No longer works in "release to shoot".

Wow - did not even notice that yet. But I never used the "release to shoot" method anyway. Cool.

Photos app background is white when looking at pictures instead of black, hate that.

If you tap on a photo to enlarge it and then tap again, it changes the background from White to Black. But would be nice if there was an option to set the default background, but it is there.

Yes, i noticed that later, is really weird.

In general iOS7 UI use white background extensively, that might be great for paper, but not ergonomic in back-lit screens. Too harsh on eyes during bed time.

Even though I'm a big fan of minimalist style I hate the new interface, is cold, sterile, devoid of visual cues, bad ergonomic design.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photato, Sep 27, 2013

I loaded it on my iPhone 4S.  I ended up turning off the parallax effect to make it operate a little more smoothly.  Ultimately, I was a little disappointed in the slight drop in apparent UI performance and it led me to order an iPhone 5S.  Now everything is right with the world.  My phone is fast and the UI is attractive AND the camera is finally what I consider responsive.

Well done, Apple!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

wklee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,847
Like?

Steven Wandy wrote:

in iOS 6 double clicking the home button would show about 7 open apps vs 3 currently. Pressing and hold the apps  to make it shake and then tap on the x to close then. I thought iOS 6 was quicker to close apps than iOS 7.

wklee wrote:

I like the new notification centre but double clicking the home button to show the multitasking bar will display only 3 apps with previews. Swipe upwards on the app preview to close the app. It was quicker to press and hold then click the x in iOS 6 for closing apps.

-- hide signature --

I have an iPad Mini and iPhone 5 and when I double click the Home button by scrolling left and right I see ALL the open apps including previews of what they have open. So I don't know why you are claiming that there is only a display of three apps. Perhaps that is all you had open?

-- hide signature --

AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to wklee, Sep 28, 2013

wklee wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:

in iOS 6 double clicking the home button would show about 7 open apps vs 3 currently. Pressing and hold the apps to make it shake and then tap on the x to close then. I thought iOS 6 was quicker to close apps than iOS 7.

wklee wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Use two or three fingers at a time to toss app cards off the top of the screen, 2 or 3 apps at a time.  This makes it faster than the old method.

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Hulamike
Like?
In reply to pavi1, Sep 28, 2013

Cool. I'm getting closer to pulling the plug.

pavi1
Like?
Upgrade 7.0.2
In reply to Hulamike, Sep 28, 2013

A new update tonight. I only glanced at the reasons. Saw some bug fixes. The only problem I have had was immediately after upgrade to 7.0, I had to reboot my iphone to get itunes to play. No other problems.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Steven Wandy
Like?
iOS 7 Horror Stories
In reply to AngryCorgi, Sep 28, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

Ultimately, I was a little disappointed in the slight drop in apparent UI performance and it led me to order an iPhone 5S.

I have the 5 and was very tempted but reason came through (and the general rule of thumb that I have read was not to buy the next model iPhone because generally the upgrade is not significant enough). I guess if I had an older model I might notice more of the speed hits others have felt.

pavi1
Like?
Re: iOS 7 Horror Stories
In reply to Steven Wandy, Sep 28, 2013

Steven Wandy wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

Ultimately, I was a little disappointed in the slight drop in apparent UI performance and it led me to order an iPhone 5S.

I have the 5 and was very tempted but reason came through (and the general rule of thumb that I have read was not to buy the next model iPhone because generally the upgrade is not significant enough). I guess if I had an older model I might notice more of the speed hits others have felt.

I have 4GS and 3rd gen iPad. If it is slower, you would need some really good timing equipment to prove it. The difference between a blink of an eye and a blink and a quarter is pretty small.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008
Like?
In reply to Hulamike, Sep 28, 2013

Updated my iPad 2 to iOS7. Lost all the iPod/iPhone apps that were on it. No apparent way to get them to reload.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

wklee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,847
Like?
Which OS originally before updating?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Sep 28, 2013

I hope you can restore back to the previous OS. It might help to keep your apps current before attempting an OS update. You did backup beforehand right?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads