what is causing choppiness of video in compact cameras?

Started Sep 22, 2013 | Questions
PeetieT
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
what is causing choppiness of video in compact cameras?
Sep 22, 2013

I have seen many compact cameras and cell phones creating a video, that is jumping up and down. Like the plane taking off video in Nikon AW110 review. What is causing it? Is is the lack of encoding resources?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,134Gear list
Like?
Re: what is causing choppiness of video in compact cameras?
In reply to PeetieT, Sep 22, 2013

Without seeing am example, my best guess is the video is interlaced rather than progressive, lower bit rate, or both maybe...
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PeetieT
Like?
In reply to thebustos, Sep 22, 2013

thebustos wrote:

Without seeing am example, my best guess is the video is interlaced rather than progressive, lower bit rate, or both maybe...
--

Checkout Sample Video 1 on the below link. It is progressive video, 16 Mbps is not too low and anyway if the bitrate would be low, than the picture quality should suffer, not the smoothness of the recording.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-aw110/3

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,764Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeetieT, Sep 22, 2013

PeetieT wrote:

thebustos wrote:

--

Checkout Sample Video 1 on the below link. It is progressive video, 16 Mbps is not too low and anyway if the bitrate would be low, than the picture quality should suffer, not the smoothness of the recording.

The one of the seaplane looks completely steady and normal on my PC.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeetieT, Sep 23, 2013

Fast shutter speed, most likely -- most people who aren't videographers don't bother screwing ND filters in front of the lens to follow the 180 degree rule in daylight, and even in cameras with 60fps recording (most do only 30), with a 1/500 shutter speed there's a lot of information that's not making it to the camera sensor.

Personally it doesn't bother me much, but some people are particularly sensitive for it and that's why the 180 degree shutter rule was first devised -- use half the reciprocal of the framerate (ie, 1/60 for 30fps) as your shutter speed, adjust brightness with ISO, aperture and ND filters as necessary.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
PeetieT
Like?
In reply to brianj, Sep 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

PeetieT wrote:

thebustos wrote:

--

The one of the seaplane looks completely steady and normal on my PC.

Brian

Even the author mentioned it.

I think it is something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Cheers,

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads