EOS M2

Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions
Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,498Gear list
Like?
Re: Odds are not good
In reply to MisterPootieCat, 11 months ago

MisterPootieCat wrote:

I didn't say they only made one batch. But you can't order the EOS M from Canon anymore.

Got a link for that?

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?
Defensive measure
In reply to Tom Hoots, 11 months ago

I still submit that Canon will easily sell FAR MORE SL1 DSLR cameras than they'll ever sell any EOS-M cameras they will ever produce -- so WHY BOTHER??

I think Canon will continue to develop the EOS M line, as a defensive measure. Development may be slow, and future EOS Ms may not be available in all countries, but I think that development will continue.

I think Canon wants to participate in all camera sectors, and there is a long-term competitive risk in not offering any mirrorless cameras.

(If the original EOS M would have had fast AF speed, and would have been widely advertised, sales would have been better.)

MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrencew, 11 months ago

Lawrencew wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

I didn't say they only made one batch. But you can't order the EOS M from Canon anymore.

Got a link for that?

Go out to Canon's website and try to order the EOS M.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Lawrencew
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Lawrencew wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Got a link for that?

As I said, got a link for that? Which website? What country?

If I look at the EOS M on Canon USA, and click on "where to buy", it gives me a list of retailers all showing the M in stock.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/where_to_buy/consumer/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit

What site are you referring to?

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Lawrencew
Like?
No news is good news. But todays press release doesn't sound promising...
In reply to Jon A T, 11 months ago

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom/press_releases?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480a3fa3c

No indication of anything new... but then they need to maintain the element of surprise I guess.

But tomorrow is the first day of the show, so perhaps...

"MELVILLE, N.Y., October 23, 2013 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, will demonstrate its latest digital camera and printer lineup as well as the recently announced firmware upgrade to the Canon EOS-1D X DSLR camera at PhotoPlus Expo at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City, October 24 - 26, 2013 in Booth #121. Visitors to the Canon booth can learn about the latest upgrades to be available for the EOS-1D X camera via firmware*, which provides professional photographers with more control and speed so rapidly changing action can be captured with greater ease. Attendees can experience first-hand Canon's Cinema EOS System, the Company's latest DSLR cameras including the EOS 70D featuring the revolutionary new Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, the full line of EF lenses, professional and consumer camcorders, PowerShot cameras as well as the PIXMA PRO series of professional inkjet printers and the new PIXMA Printing Solutions (PPS) platform."

-- hide signature --
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
ARe: Viewfinder and different body style...
In reply to Setter Dog, 11 months ago

Setter Dog wrote:

akjos wrote:

I got my m few days ago and its love/ hate relationship...
Love the lenses and touchscreen is nice but lcd is hardly visible in bright light ... Lack of viewfinder and external buttons and atrocious grip ( or lack of) make it quite a pain to use...
Love the lenses ( zoom and 22)
I was almost ready to sell it

I've had mine since early in the period when B@H was selling them for $350. I have the same complaints as akjos. I feel like I'm taking pictures with a bar of soap made of lead.

The little camera takes really great pictures but I just don't find it a fun camera to use. I looked on eBay with the idea of selling it. The only used one that actually sold went for $150 before fees and sales commissions. At that value point, I'll keep it as an extra. I like the images well enough that I would consider the M2, but only if it had an EVF and was easier to grip.

Jack

As Apple would tell you in the Antennagate fiasco, you are holding the M wrong.

The grip is useless, so people should stop trying to hold it like an SLR. Grip it at the four corners with your thumbs and index fingers like you would a phone camera and you'll be fine.

All the more tells me the M is targeted at P&S upgraders, not DSLR 'downgraders'.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
o_23
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
PhotoPlus Expo

My guess is that tomorrow Canon will announce 2 new cameras - Full Frame similar to 70D and crop M2 with 70D sensor. We'll see...

o_23's gear list:o_23's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +12 more
rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,057
Like?
Hmmm...
In reply to o_23, 11 months ago

o_23 wrote:

My guess is that tomorrow Canon will announce 2 new cameras - Full Frame similar to 70D and crop M2 with 70D sensor. We'll see...

I'd be extremely surprised if that comes to pass.

Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868Gear list
Like?
Re: PhotoPlus Expo
In reply to o_23, 11 months ago

There haven't been rumors about either of those.  Usually, the rumor flood gates open a week or two prior with more and more accurate data and within 12-24 hours, full and accurate specs are leaked everywhere.

So, as much as I'd like to see what you just described come to fruition, I doubt it.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +12 more
MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994Gear list
Like?

Lawrencew wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Lawrencew wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Got a link for that?

If I look at the EOS M on Canon USA, and click on "where to buy", it gives me a list of retailers all showing the M in stock.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/where_to_buy/consumer/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit

You cannot buy the EOS M directly from Canon USA, that is what I'm referring to. But you can buy every other current camera from directly from Canon. I find that a bit odd.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Lawrencew
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Lawrencew wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Lawrencew wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Got a link for that?

You cannot buy the EOS M directly from Canon USA, that is what I'm referring to. But you can buy every other current camera from directly from Canon. I find that a bit odd.

It is a bit odd. But I don't think it is evidence of no more production in itself.

Have you ever been able to buy it direct?

Canon in the EU don't sell any cameras direct.

-- hide signature --
Lawrencew
Like?
Re: PhotoPlus Expo
In reply to Jonathan Brady, 11 months ago

Jonathan Brady wrote:

There haven't been rumors about either of those. Usually, the rumor flood gates open a week or two prior with more and more accurate data and within 12-24 hours, full and accurate specs are leaked everywhere.

So, as much as I'd like to see what you just described come to fruition, I doubt it.

and normally the press will have been invited to an event, and that event is common knowledge by now.

-- hide signature --
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,756
Like?
Re: EOS M2
In reply to UCSB, 11 months ago

UCSB wrote:

^^ Trying to analyze Canon's future plans without access to them is foolish.

Well, as I've said before many times, we are all just "guessing" here, and I've just been stating my "guess."  Mainly, though, I've been responding to all of the false hopes that have been raised by truly awful "CR1" completely unreliable "rumors."  And I'm sure that nothing much will ever dampen the usual talk about hopes for new/better versions of anything....

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Tom Hoots
Like?
Re: Defensive measure
In reply to justmeMN, 11 months ago

justmeMN wrote:

I think Canon will continue to develop the EOS M line, as a defensive measure. Development may be slow, and future EOS Ms may not be available in all countries, but I think that development will continue.

I think Canon wants to participate in all camera sectors, and there is a long-term competitive risk in not offering any mirrorless cameras.

I would submit that the digital camera market has suffered a MASSIVE change over the past few years -- and no company can "just keep on doing business as it normally has" in the past.  Canon CANNOT "participate in all camera sectors," if it simply can't MAKE MONEY in all of those sectors.  We are very simply going to see the end of some unprofitable segments, and/or we'll see the complete bankruptcy and dissolution of some of the existing camera manufacturers.

"Business as usual" just cannot exist anymore.  It's a whole new market out there.

Tom Hoots

Tom Hoots
Like?
EOS-M Deathwatch?
In reply to Jon A T, 11 months ago

So, do we have the last nail in the coffin now?

Tom Hoots

Kaso
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
Re: EOS-M Deathwatch?

Tom Hoots wrote:

Do we? Do we need this thread at all?

Enjoy your photography.

Lawrencew
Like?
Re: EOS-M Deathwatch?

Tom Hoots wrote:

Tom Hoots

Here rest'eth the EOS M2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyFyAqLtHq8

-- hide signature --
Jonathan Brady
Like?
Re: EOS M2

Tom Hoots wrote:

UCSB wrote:

^^ Trying to analyze Canon's future plans without access to them is foolish.

Well, as I've said before many times, we are all just "guessing" here, and I've just been stating my "guess." Mainly, though, I've been responding to all of the false hopes that have been raised by truly awful "CR1" completely unreliable "rumors." And I'm sure that nothing much will ever dampen the usual talk about hopes for new/better versions of anything....

Tom Hoots

You've stated it far more emphatically than a "guess". You state it as though you have some sort of inside information (ie, sit on the board) and it's a FACT when we all know you do not sit on the board and you're trumpeting a guess as truth - vehemently.

How is the information you (don't) have superior to the "truly awful" and "completely unreliable" rumors that are floating around out there? Oh, and the 13 M2 references in DPP?

CLEARLY there has been a follow up to the M produced, Canon even named it the EOS M2. The only thing in question is when or if Canon will release it. What about Canon's recent history has told you that they're lightning fast with ANYTHING? So, logic would dictate that it's not a question of "if", but simply "when".  If you'd like to ignore logic and facts well... I suppose that's your prerogative.  But grandstanding here won't change facts, the future, nor will it make anyone look favorably upon you.

So, throw your soapbox in the garbage and find another topic to troll (or don't troll and become a valuable part of the community).  Because that's EXACTLY what you're doing here; trolling.

Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +12 more
o_23
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
No way

Tom Hoots wrote:

Only if Canon adds big brother of M - full frame M. They should. They have no choice.

For crop M they need to add a few fast prime lenses - f/1.4. Then M will be taken very seriously. I don't think that Canon is going to giveup this market to Fujifilm.

o_23's gear list:o_23's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +12 more
Jonathan Brady
Like?
NOT A CHANCE

The M2 has already been developed!  Something happened and the release of the M2 didn't coincide with the release of the latest version of DPP.  Either the DPP software was released early or the M2 is being released late (perhaps slow sales of the 70D are making Canon go back and speed up the AF of the M2? Or Canon wants to give the 70D the holidays to gain traction?  Or... we could guess all day long).  The fact is, the M2 is far enough along that it was included in the DPP notes which makes it obvious the camera is basically ready for release.

Quit trolling and move on.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads