Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?

Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions
Ixon
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?
Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
Sep 21, 2013

I recently bought a fuji X20 in silver and really do like the improvements over the X10, moreso in the OVF having that info is a godsend.

But one thing that could make the Fuji X30 better along with the 1" sensor is rumored to be getting is a 100% EVF, doesn't have to be like the current EVF's ie over 2million pixels or whatever it is, but fairly decently like 1.44 million pixels which i be more than happy with using.

Obviously with both having a 1" sensor & with an maybe hopefully an EVF the camera going to be slightly bigger than the current X10 & X20, which might be a blessing for some.

I'm all for fixed lens quality camera's as it saves weight & portability is second to none, hopefully the trend will continue where at some point in the future, most of us won't need a DSLR or a mirror-less setup as one camera with a fixed lens would cover what most of us hobby photographers would ever need and I'm all for that.

 Ixon's gear list:Ixon's gear list
Motorola Moto X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
expressivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to Ixon, Sep 21, 2013

Ixon wrote:

I recently bought a fuji X20 in silver and really do like the improvements over the X10, moreso in the OVF having that info is a godsend.

But one thing that could make the Fuji X30 better along with the 1" sensor is rumored to be getting is a 100% EVF, doesn't have to be like the current EVF's ie over 2million pixels or whatever it is, but fairly decently like 1.44 million pixels which i be more than happy with using.

Obviously with both having a 1" sensor & with an maybe hopefully an EVF the camera going to be slightly bigger than the current X10 & X20, which might be a blessing for some.

I'm all for fixed lens quality camera's as it saves weight & portability is second to none, hopefully the trend will continue where at some point in the future, most of us won't need a DSLR or a mirror-less setup as one camera with a fixed lens would cover what most of us hobby photographers would ever need and I'm all for that.

As with many, I too would love to see some improvements in the X10/20 series.  In particular, my gripes are related to image quality so they either need to improve the lens significantly or improve the sensor.  In my opinion, there should be an immense improvement of Fuji's 2/3" sensor over the ancient S100FS.  Unfortunately for Fuji, I still prefer the SuperCCD sensor in my S100FS.  So something must be improved upon in these new cameras to get the image quality back where it belongs...  even if that means going back to an improved SuperCCD sensor with a faster processor and better hardware all around the sensor.

I disagree about the viewfinder.  Optical is the way to go.  The overlay could be improved, however, to include more info.  Olympus recently abandoned optical viewfinders and their dSLRs altogether...   about half the photographers are extremely unhappy to say the least.  (Personally, I will never buy another new Olympus product ever again.) Optical viewfinders do have their advantages.  If Fuji did happen to decide to go EFV...  it had better be the best EFV on the market while being just as fast and crisp as an OVF...

I would be extremely surprised if Fuji went to a 1" sensor.  People have been talking about a 1" possibility for many years but nothing has materialized.  I don't even see anything indicating that Fuji plans to go this direction or even wants to go this direction.  Fuji seems to be content with APS-C being their upper end and 2/3" for their premium compacts.  Although I would welcome the more than likely image improvement of a larger sensor, I'm not sure the larger body/lens combo would be met in a positive light.  I happen to have big hands and prefer larger bodies, but manufacturers are going the opposite way because most people are preferring smaller.

I think it would be more likely to see Fuji go to m4/3...   for many years they were a member of the 4/3 consortium.  (Don't know how active they have been though.)  I think it would be more likely to see them produce a m4/3 body and lenses...   They could then sell Fuji lenses to Oly and Panasonic body users as well as sell bodies.  I think this scenario is unlikely as well, but in my mind it is more likely than seeing a 1" sensor.  Of course, I have been wrong before but I just think that m4/3 would benefit Fuji much more than a 1" sensor.

It will be interesting, however, to see what becomes of the new X30 in the coming months/year.

Patrick

 expressivecanvas's gear list:expressivecanvas's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to expressivecanvas, Sep 21, 2013

expressivecanvas wrote:

I think it would be more likely to see Fuji go to m4/3... for many years they were a member of the 4/3 consortium. (Don't know how active they have been though.) I think it would be more likely to see them produce a m4/3 body and lenses... They could then sell Fuji lenses to Oly and Panasonic body users as well as sell bodies. I think this scenario is unlikely as well, but in my mind it is more likely than seeing a 1" sensor. Of course, I have been wrong before but I just think that m4/3 would benefit Fuji much more than a 1" sensor.

I'd be very curious to see how a m43 Fuji X-Trans body would do. If that sensor is as good as many say, it could bring more people to the regular X series. Given that Fuji has now released the X-A1, maybe they do have something like that up their sleeves -- if the X-A1 isn't simply shooting the X-M1 in the foot (as many also say).

 cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
expressivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to cantanima, Sep 21, 2013

cantanima wrote:

expressivecanvas wrote:

I think it would be more likely to see Fuji go to m4/3... for many years they were a member of the 4/3 consortium. (Don't know how active they have been though.) I think it would be more likely to see them produce a m4/3 body and lenses... They could then sell Fuji lenses to Oly and Panasonic body users as well as sell bodies. I think this scenario is unlikely as well, but in my mind it is more likely than seeing a 1" sensor. Of course, I have been wrong before but I just think that m4/3 would benefit Fuji much more than a 1" sensor.

I'd be very curious to see how a m43 Fuji X-Trans body would do. If that sensor is as good as many say, it could bring more people to the regular X series. Given that Fuji has now released the X-A1, maybe they do have something like that up their sleeves -- if the X-A1 isn't simply shooting the X-M1 in the foot (as many also say).

I agree.  There is no doubt that a camera of this sort would bring more people to Fuji's higher end.  That means more money for Fuji, directly and indirectly.  And, as I mentioned before, if Fuji made lenses in the m4/3 mount to go with these bodies, it would open up a larger market for selling Fuji lenses.  This all makes more financial sense than moving into the 1" sensor idea.

Patrick

 expressivecanvas's gear list:expressivecanvas's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed Rotberg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to Ixon, 9 months ago

Ixon wrote:

I recently bought a fuji X20 in silver and really do like the improvements over the X10, moreso in the OVF having that info is a godsend.

But one thing that could make the Fuji X30 better along with the 1" sensor is rumored to be getting is a 100% EVF, doesn't have to be like the current EVF's ie over 2million pixels or whatever it is, but fairly decently like 1.44 million pixels which i be more than happy with using.

E gads.  I hope they DON'T got to an EVF.  If they do that I will get the X20!

= Ed Rotberg =
'A waist is a terrible thing to mind'
http://www.edrotberg.org/gallery

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Halwick
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to Ixon, 9 months ago

By putting a EVF along with the 1" sensor, wouldn't it overlap into the X-E2 territory, interchangeable lens notwithstanding?

I'd like to see the X-20 sucessor with a 100% OVF with framing overlay similar to X100s, a 24-100mm f/2-2.8 lens and improved sensor, especially at higher ISO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed Rotberg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to Halwick, 9 months ago

Halwick wrote:

By putting a EVF along with the 1" sensor, wouldn't it overlap into the X-E2 territory, interchangeable lens notwithstanding?

I'd like to see the X-20 sucessor with a 100% OVF with framing overlay similar to X100s, a 24-100mm f/2-2.8 lens and improved sensor, especially at higher ISO.

I agree with the above.  A larger sensor would be improvement enough for my tastes on the sensor front.  I agree with the suggestions on improving the OVF.  The X20 is a terrific camera for photographers.  Sure it's not a replacement for a DSLR, but I have DSLRs for that.  My me, personally, I'm looking for something that I can get great photos with when I can't, or don't want to, take my full rig.  THAT'S the niche that the X20 has been so good at filling.  I'm hoping the X30 will address some of the few flaws in the X20, just as the X20 did for the X10

-- hide signature --

= Ed Rotberg =
'A waist is a terrible thing to mind'
http://www.edrotberg.org/gallery

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Viramati
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X30 EVF this time around maybe?
In reply to Ed Rotberg, 9 months ago

While a bigger sensor would be great please not an EVF unless it is up to the standard of my Sony A7. I love the clarity of the OVF though it would be even better if it matched the frame more

 Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7 II Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads