My latests shots with V2

Started Sep 20, 2013 | Discussions
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
My latests shots with V2
Sep 20, 2013

I am very happy with the "reach" my V2 gives me, plus the crop ability due to the extra megapixels.

I am really enjoying this camera. Can't wait what Nikon will bring with V3 .

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Olfdee
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Re: My latests shots with V2
In reply to Bobby Handal, Sep 20, 2013

What lens did you use to capture The Beatles?

Olfdee's gear list:Olfdee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
quarryman
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?

Bobby,

These look really nice. You shot some of these at a fairly high ISO (at least for this cam)...how do you handle/process regarding noise?

Thanks,

Bill

quarryman's gear list:quarryman's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2Xs Nikon D200 Nikon D300S +16 more
Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to Olfdee, Sep 20, 2013

Hello Olfdee, I used the 105mm Nikkor VR .

Olfdee wrote:

What lens did you use to capture The Beatles?

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to quarryman, Sep 20, 2013

Hello quarryman , thanks for your comments. When you shoot high ISO photos with very little dark areas the grain remains good, In shadows is where grain is an issue. I rarely use a denoising software.

quarryman wrote:

Bobby,

These look really nice. You shot some of these at a fairly high ISO (at least for this cam)...how do you handle/process regarding noise?

Thanks,

Bill

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

quarryman
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?

I find the J1 I just picked up does okay with noise in hi-key as well. Your files looked a little cleaner to me than mine.

Thanks Bobby.

Bill

Bobby Handal wrote:

Hello quarryman , thanks for your comments. When you shoot high ISO photos with very little dark areas the grain remains good, In shadows is where grain is an issue. I rarely use a denoising software.

quarryman wrote:

Bobby,

Thanks,

Bill

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

quarryman's gear list:quarryman's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2Xs Nikon D200 Nikon D300S +16 more
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
Impressive images...
In reply to Bobby Handal, Sep 21, 2013

Hi Bobby.

These are very impressive images. I have been looking for more samples of nature / wildlife subjects done with the V2 (and V1) and FT-1 with SLR lenses.

fwiw... If you (or anyone else listening) are interested, I started this "open discussion" thread (see link below) on the Nature and Wildlife forum. We are looking for feedback as to how the V2 (or V1) / FT-1 and SLR lenses can be a "very affordable" way to significantly extend reach in a way that provides the same high IQ that we are used to with our DX and FX bodies. Please feel free to post any info on that thread and / or provide a link to your thread here.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3547315

In addition to the 105 VR lens for the insects, what other lenses did you use for these beautiful images?

Much thanks for posting your images.

Wayne

wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?

Nice bug & bird shots Bobby. TFS.

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366Gear list
Like?

Superb images Bobby. Your skill and patience are evident in these beautiful captures.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

Bobby Handal
Like?
Re: Impressive images...
In reply to dwa1, Sep 21, 2013

Hello Wayne, thanks for your kind words.

For the photos I posted above I have used mainly the 80-400mm G VR and also the 50-500mm OS Sigma, both lenses work great. It is so incredible to have such crop factors/magnifications is awesome.

I have used also the 200-400mm Vr which is obviously better IQ, but it is bigger and more expensive, and for portability the other two lenses work great.

dwa1 wrote:

Hi Bobby.

These are very impressive images. I have been looking for more samples of nature / wildlife subjects done with the V2 (and V1) and FT-1 with SLR lenses.

fwiw... If you (or anyone else listening) are interested, I started this "open discussion" thread (see link below) on the Nature and Wildlife forum. We are looking for feedback as to how the V2 (or V1) / FT-1 and SLR lenses can be a "very affordable" way to significantly extend reach in a way that provides the same high IQ that we are used to with our DX and FX bodies. Please feel free to post any info on that thread and / or provide a link to your thread here.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3547315

In addition to the 105 VR lens for the insects, what other lenses did you use for these beautiful images?

Much thanks for posting your images.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to wolfd, Sep 21, 2013

thanks Wolfd !!

wolfd wrote:

Nice bug & bird shots Bobby. TFS.

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to The Smoking Camera, Sep 21, 2013

Thanks Joe for your kind comments !!

The Smoking Camera wrote:

Superb images Bobby. Your skill and patience are evident in these beautiful captures.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

dwa1
Like?

Thanks for the follow-up and additional images Bobby.

I am looking at the V2 / FT-1 combo as a 2.7x TC with no loss in IQ or light. This can really change the way we look at "reach". All this (so far) is for relatively stationary subjects - sitting birds - but not for BIF.

fwiw... During the past few shoots, as subjects presented, I have "kept in mind" how I could take advantage of this "2.7x reach". It's too bad that it won't AF with lenses like the 80-200 f2.8 D lens (need AF motor body).

Wayne

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to dwa1, Sep 21, 2013

Thanks Wayne . Yes, it is a shame that it does not focus with AFD lenses, but it was kind of expected, as a motor to drive the lenses would make the camera larger ; and if you recall neither the D5100 or the other "amateur" oriented cameras have built in motors. But the good news is that it focus great with the afs lenses, and now it works great with the OS lenses from Sigma.

The other day I was pleased to find that, although it did not autofocus, because it is a screw driven focus lens, the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 works great with the V2+FT1 combo, the only issue is that it was manual focus, but then the rest (exposure , exposure modes, etc) worked great.

In regards on BIF , I believe that photo technology in general is not yet good enough for birds in flight, well, at least the birds in this part of the world. Perhaps tracking far away flying birds, but zoooming by, naw.

I gotta tell you, the 80-400mm G VR together with this camera is awesome, very small and portable combo. however, you loose quite a bit of feather detail if you do not use a tripod or the very least a monopod or tree, car, etc. and its logical, if you think that you are over 800mm in focal length !!

dwa1 wrote:

I am looking at the V2 / FT-1 combo as a 2.7x TC with no loss in IQ or light. This can really change the way we look at "reach". All this (so far) is for relatively stationary subjects - sitting birds - but not for BIF.

fwiw... During the past few shoots, as subjects presented, I have "kept in mind" how I could take advantage of this "2.7x reach". It's too bad that it won't AF with lenses like the 80-200 f2.8 D lens (need AF motor body).

Wayne

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

dwa1
Like?
In reply to Bobby Handal, Sep 22, 2013

Bobby Handal wrote:

Thanks Wayne . Yes, it is a shame that it does not focus with AFD lenses, but it was kind of expected, as a motor to drive the lenses would make the camera larger ; and if you recall neither the D5100 or the other "amateur" oriented cameras have built in motors. But the good news is that it focus great with the afs lenses, and now it works great with the OS lenses from Sigma.

The other day I was pleased to find that, although it did not autofocus, because it is a screw driven focus lens, the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 works great with the V2+FT1 combo, the only issue is that it was manual focus, but then the rest (exposure , exposure modes, etc) worked great.

In regards on BIF , I believe that photo technology in general is not yet good enough for birds in flight, well, at least the birds in this part of the world. Perhaps tracking far away flying birds, but zoooming by, naw.

I gotta tell you, the 80-400mm G VR together with this camera is awesome, very small and portable combo. however, you loose quite a bit of feather detail if you do not use a tripod or the very least a monopod or tree, car, etc. and its logical, if you think that you are over 800mm in focal length !!

dwa1 wrote:

fwiw... During the past few shoots, as subjects presented, I have "kept in mind" how I could take advantage of this "2.7x reach". It's too bad that it won't AF with lenses like the 80-200 f2.8 D lens (need AF motor body).

Wayne

Bobby,

Thanks for another follow-up. The new AF-S 80-400 VR is getting much praise by serious, experienced wildlife shooters like you. It's a bit pricey for me at this time as I have a few other upgrades ahead of it. I was going to go with the 300 f4 and 1.4xTC for my D300 and/or D7100 (expected to buy this to replace my "limited" D90 body). However, this V2 / FT-1 option has sort of thrown a wrench into the mix.

If the 70-300 VR had the same IQ as the new 80-400, I would expect that 300mm (times 2.7) would be enough reach for my shooting.

With the V2 and 80-400, how often do you actually go above 300mm?

Also, thanks for your comments on our V1 / V2 / FT-1 "affordable reach" thread.

Wayne

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to dwa1, Sep 22, 2013

Hello Wayne, The 70-300mm VR nikkor is pretty good lens, obviously the 300mm nikkor is much better, however, it has no VR , so a tripod is super mandatory.

I personally go over 300mm quite often, almost always , due to the wildlife I am shooting and how accessible these birds and animals really are.  I am sure that in africa or even Alaska, Costa Rica,  you might get by with the 300mm x 2.7 crop factor, but here wildlife is scared and hunted, so they are really weary of people.

I think that you should look into the 50-500mm OS Bigma, it is quite sharp, about as close to the 80-400mm G VR at a much lower price. This Sigma also has a great macro capability. anyway, good luck in your hunt for the perfect solution !!!

dwa1 wrote:

would be enough reach for my shooting.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

dwa1
Like?
In reply to Bobby Handal, Sep 24, 2013

Bobby Handal wrote:

Hello Wayne, The 70-300mm VR nikkor is pretty good lens, obviously the 300mm nikkor is much better, however, it has no VR , so a tripod is super mandatory.

I personally go over 300mm quite often, almost always , due to the wildlife I am shooting and how accessible these birds and animals really are.  I am sure that in africa or even Alaska, Costa Rica,  you might get by with the 300mm x 2.7 crop factor, but here wildlife is scared and hunted, so they are really weary of people.

I think that you should look into the 50-500mm OS Bigma, it is quite sharp, about as close to the 80-400mm G VR at a much lower price. This Sigma also has a great macro capability. anyway, good luck in your hunt for the perfect solution !!!

dwa1 wrote:

would be enough reach for my shooting.

Wayne

At one time I was considering the Bigma. However, after being "spoiled" by the superb IQ of the Sigma 150 f2.8 (non-OS) macro, I want to pursue glass that is much closer to that lens than it would be to my 70-300 VR. Since I shoot with 2 Nikon DSLR bodies (using Cotton Carrier), I can most likely go with a 2nd prime lens (300 f4 with 1.4xTC) instead of a zoom. Like I said though, the V2 / FT-1 option increases the options of even better glass since it would provide more reach with shorter focal lengths. I have about 4 months to decide. Thanks for your follow-ups.

Wayne

Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,817Gear list
Like?
Couple Of Questions
In reply to Bobby Handal, Sep 24, 2013

Bobby

• Do you find the adapter to use the full size lenses worth it?
  • How is the IQ

The reason I ask is I have a Nikon 1 V2 and around 25 lenses for my DSLR's and they have the adapter on sale at the moment.

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +20 more
Bobby Handal
Like?
Re: Couple Of Questions
In reply to Windancer, Sep 25, 2013

Hello Terry

I would think that it depends if you do sports and birding it will be a very good choice, specially if looking for more "magnification" or for traveling light.  Performance wise , I think you will be quite impressed . The IQ depends on the IQ of the lens, the IQ of the sensor is quite good, up to ISO 800, and higher up if no dark areas or too much shadows appear.

buy the Nikon adapter, it is worth the money.

Windancer wrote:

Bobby

• Do you find the adapter to use the full size lenses worth it?
  • How is the IQ

The reason I ask is I have a Nikon 1 V2 and around 25 lenses for my DSLR's and they have the adapter on sale at the moment.

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads