Like?
Pixel King Pro - 3rd Generation
Sep 20, 2013
40d_dane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Pixel King Pro - 3rd Generation
In reply to Silverwind, Sep 29, 2013

I received a King Pro and two King X yesterday. I've spend most of yesterday and today photographing osprey so I've only spend a very brief time with my new triggers.

Overall, I like them. They are plastic but decent plastic. Not too far below Canons plastic. Pixel advertises a metal frame but this is only the case for the King Pro - it's probably needed on the Pro to compensate for the LCD opening in the plastic box. There is a rubber seal over the USB and Sync sockets. This may lead you to think that these triggers are somehow environment sealed. I wouldn't say that's the case. The LCD is fine and easier to read than the Canon LCD (which I had trouble reading).

One major problem though: One of the X's I received was DOA ! I had to go through 5 7D's before I found one that (I believe) was fully functional. Maybe this is just my luck. I assume that I will get a replacement for the dead X. But it seems that Pixel may have an unhandled Q/A issue. A minor snag: I have 600EX's and I can not manually set zoom above 105mm with the King Pro/X. I assume this is something that Pixel can fix in a firmware update.

I started out with the 600EX's because I wanted to use Canons new radio trigger. Turned out though that I couldn't use Canons trigger because of a (for me) fatal design flaw in the system: Flash recycle is reported to the camera instantaneously (which is fine) while recycle-done is reported with at delay (which is a major bummer). The 600EX is able to follow the 7D at 8 fps at 1/8 power. But the occasionally the high-voltage briefly drops below the recycle threshold when I shoot this way. Result: Two or three well exposed frames followed by 4-5 black frames when I use Canons radio trigger. Rubbish ! I spend a lot of time trying to report this to Canon as a bug and they acknowledged that this is the way the system works but they have refused to fix it. The King Pro / King X does not have this problem. My longest series thus far has been 10 frames with no black frames. It was my decision to stop after 10 frames. I could probably have continued until the 600EX thermal protection kicked in.

I own an old 380EX. I didn't expect the King Pro/X to be able to control it and it couldn't. It can fire it though. I think it fires at its lowest power.

I haven't yet done a complete functional test of the King Pro/X, but apart for the two above mentioned issues I'm very happy thus far. The set is less than half the Phottix Odin and less than 1/4 the Canon system - and much more functional.

Hope this helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
40d_dane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
In reply to 40d_dane, Oct 5, 2013

A firmware update broad the dead King X receiver back to life !

My 7D can't zoom my 600EX above 105mm.

So I'm becoming happier and happier with the King Pro/X.

Zoso777
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
In reply to 40d_dane, Oct 26, 2013

Hi 40d_dane!

i own a Nikon D7100 and got this trigger today. I was very happy at all until I noticed the following:

1- If a press the "test flash" (transmitter in manual mode)button on master or in slave unit in order to meter with a flash meter ,flash only  fires at a very low power! So, I can't use it with the meter...to do that correctly I've got to shoot using the camera shutter button. Have you noticed that?

2- I'm getting some differences from power using it! Let me make things clearer: Suppose I put my flash in Manual mode, 1/2 fire it and check (pressing own flash button) with a flash meter...I've got an aperture of f/9 for instance; then, if I set it to TTL, use the master in manual mode and set the same power (1/2) I got a reading of f/10 or 11...what means that flash is firing with more power through Pixel King Pro...I'm very upset wondering if my radio is faulty or it's just an issue that Pixel King can fix with a firmware update. I've mailed them but no response yet.

Thank you so much in advance if you give me any word of tip.

Sergio

BTW, flashes are a Nikon SB-700 and Yongnuo YN-480II.

-- hide signature --

Are you nervous? Go photographing!
www.sergiohegner.com.br

Zoso777's gear list:Zoso777's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
dchamb
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Zoso777, 11 months ago

Have you found a solution yet for the flash firing at reduced power when trying to use a meter. I am having the same problem. I have two sets of these so I don't think it is a bad unit. Am I doing something wrong

Zoso777
Like?
In reply to dchamb, 11 months ago

dchamb wrote:

Have you found a solution yet for the flash firing at reduced power when trying to use a meter. I am having the same problem. I have two sets of these so I don't think it is a bad unit. Am I doing something wrong

Hi! Not yet! I mailed them and their promised a firmware update. I suggest you to do the same...maybe more people writing will speed things up. This issue is annoying.

BTW. Don't install their latest update (102) because will make things even worse!

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
dchamb
Like?

Thanks. My only solution is to fire the shutter like you said. I did read when I was researching that you could fire the flashes from the units themselves but I am not sure if it was a Canon or not. I am using a D7000 and 2 SB600's. The only reason I went in this direction with the Pixel king pro was to use a light meter and now it has turned out to be cumbersome. Also Could you please guide me to install instructions on how to update Firmware. I have not been able to find the firmware and nowhere can I find instructions on how to update it. The only one I did find was V104 but I am not sure it is the right one. It has a RX.bin and a TX.bin file. No clue how to install it though

Zoso777
Like?
In reply to dchamb, 11 months ago

dchamb wrote:

Thanks. My only solution is to fire the shutter like you said. I did read when I was researching that you could fire the flashes from the units themselves but I am not sure if it was a Canon or not. I am using a D7000 and 2 SB600's. The only reason I went in this direction with the Pixel king pro was to use a light meter and now it has turned out to be cumbersome. Also Could you please guide me to install instructions on how to update Firmware. I have not been able to find the firmware and nowhere can I find instructions on how to update it. The only one I did find was V104 but I am not sure it is the right one. It has a RX.bin and a TX.bin file. No clue how to install it though

I went for some reason: I use tree speedlights and a flashmeter and this Pixel Pro behavior really upsets me. Anyway...you have no idea how I struggled to install the update. I use a Mac and despite their information that you can use a Mac you can't. I had to boot in Windows. Their website seems to be down for now...I will post some instructions as soon as i get access their instructions.

Best.

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

dchamb
Like?

Thanks so much. I will wait to hear from you.

Zoso777
Like?
In reply to dchamb, 10 months ago

BTW, can anyone access their website??? It's down for me for days...that's 'weird!

http://www.pixelhk.com

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

dchamb
Like?
In reply to Zoso777, 10 months ago

I did email them. We will see what their response is.

edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?

Zoso777 wrote:

BTW, can anyone access their website??? It's down for me for days...that's 'weird!

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

The site is up and accessible as of now and the firmware updates are available here:

http://www.pixelhk.com/Download.aspx

Nikon version firmware is here:

http://www.pixelhk.com/Down/DownPage.aspx?Title=kingpronikon

Zoso777
Like?
In reply to edispics, 10 months ago

edispics wrote:

Zoso777 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

The site is up and accessible as of now and the firmware updates are available here:

http://www.pixelhk.com/Download.aspx

Nikon version firmware is here:

Thanks, but I can't access it! Just don't understand that...I use a Mac and i'm able to open any other site but them :/

Don't know what is going wrong here...

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

edispics
Like?

Try clearing your browser cache or using another browser

Zoso777
Like?

Try clearing your browser cache or using another browser

I can't access even my Iphone under 3G...I've wrote them.
Thank you.
--
www.sergiohegner.com.br

edispics
Like?

I just tested accessing the site using Apple's Safari browser on one of my Win PCs and it works just fine. Are you or your ISP running some software that could be blocking access to that site?

See below:

That's using Safari.

Zoso777
Like?

I just tested accessing the site using Apple's Safari browser on one of my Win PCs and it works just fine. Are you or your ISP running some software that could be blocking access to that site?

See below:

That's using Safari.

Very strange! I've tried both work and home with different computers and Windows! Maybe some restrictions to Brazil?? Waiting for their reply...
--
www.sergiohegner.com.br

dchamb
Like?

I can get to the file but I cannot find instructions on how to install the firmware.

edispics
Like?
In reply to dchamb, 10 months ago

dchamb wrote:

I can get to the file but I cannot find instructions on how to install the firmware.

The instructions are below the file download, just scroll down, for instance, for nikon, go here:

And then scroll down, all the instructions are there.

Zoso777
Like?

Hi...if you don't mind could you please send me the latest firmware 104 (for nikon) by mail? No one in this country can access their website anymore...very strange.

shegner@globo.com

Thanking in advance,

Sergio

-- hide signature --

www.sergiohegner.com.br

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads