Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
asw66
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Re: Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...
In reply to Voff, 7 months ago

Voff wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

So far, our local insider gave us a teaser of what could be a possible production ready K3

-It has 20 mega pixels with the IQ of the 645D, did not mention sensor size but was told it was more on the programming to get that IQ

Moving sensor perhaps and stacking in software?

I'd guess that you're on the right track. Since the 645D is approx. 40Mpx, it certainly sounds like this is some trick that effectively doubles sensor resolution. Hasselblad have a system that moves the sensor precisely to achieve 4x resolution in unmoving subjects -- I'm guessing the Ricoh/Pentax approach would be a bit like in-camera HDR, geared more for increased resolution than dynamic range.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,563Gear list
Like?
In reply to asw66, 7 months ago

asw66 wrote:

I'd guess that you're on the right track. Since the 645D is approx. 40Mpx, it certainly sounds like this is some trick that effectively doubles sensor resolution. Hasselblad have a system that moves the sensor precisely to achieve 4x resolution in unmoving subjects -- I'm guessing the Ricoh/Pentax approach would be a bit like in-camera HDR, geared more for increased resolution than dynamic range.

This is of course technically possible. But ... it is a quite wild guess, based on a very unreliable rumour.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,421
Like?
Re: uh oh
In reply to dwm2020, 7 months ago

Yeah, looks like a complete failure to me.

Don't know about others, but I love the K-01. Great IQ, simple easy menu, feature packed, and yes a well built, great looking camera.

Nice Shots.

I love my k-01, but it's AF is really just too slow for my needs. Otherwise, it really is a great camera.

ogl
ogl
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, 7 months ago

- The K-3 will be announced near end October.
- 20MP APS-C sensor, possibly made by Sony.
- AA filter less.
- 100% viewfinder at 1.0X.
- Black body marketed first, followed by Silver colour later, first marketed at around 120,000 Japanese Yens (i.e., US$1200) for the body-only price, no kit.

And then also another rumour from yet another poster for additional information:

- New camera (K-3) will be on show at Salon de la Photo at Paris from 7 to 11 November at Paris.
- New DA 18-70 F2.8 lens will be announced together.

Rice High rumors

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K200D Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
Re: sooner or later
In reply to janneman02, 7 months ago

That's what I was thinking as well.  It's not FF that would tempt me to jump ship...it would be a clearly superior D300 or 7D APS-C, while Pentax doesn't have an answer.  I doubt that'll happen, though.

Greyser
Senior MemberPosts: 3,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to ogl, 7 months ago

ogl wrote:

Rice High rumors

Yeah, he's quite negative about it.

No AA filter and 20MP sensor. And maybe something unique file processing wise (remember another rumor that something BIG is coming?)

How the 20MP performs so far? And is there any other than Sony 20MP sensors on the market?

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greyser, 7 months ago

Greyser wrote:

ogl wrote:

Rice High rumors

Yeah, he's quite negative about it.

No AA filter and 20MP sensor. And maybe something unique file processing wise (remember another rumor that something BIG is coming?)

How the 20MP performs so far? And is there any other than Sony 20MP sensors on the market?

I believe the new Sony A3000 has a 20.1 MP sensor. Unsure if this will be the same, but one would think that Pentax/Ricoh in their own usual way will tweak as much stills photo quality into it as technologically possible.

Couple that with the 'totally unsubstantiated' possibility they have found some processing way of upgrading the IQ, then I would say they have looked for the optimum sensor performance and will have chosen a '20' for a reason.

As for ........he, who me we do not speak of........(RH) is almost seemingly bi-polar in his viewpoints, on the one hand giving some splendid technical advice, before stupidly negative rants about impending doom of Pentax. Why do people do this ? it's crazy and clearly obvious that a company such as Ricoh has taken over the Pentax brand;

-stated clearly their objectives,

-from the position we all know they were in,

-knowing the timeline required to develop and manufacture new products,

-taking a different and tighter method of information release,

-having to take a serious look at the market direction with all the right sales and profit info,

-knowing who they're up against and what area's NOT to bother competing in,

-amalgamate two sets of engineers and manufacturing systems,

-sell existing products and stocks at such prices to empty the shelves and obtain some R&D funds,

-use clever marketing tools to slowly and surely scrape back some more total market share and enhanced profitability, such as .......weather sealing and sorry but yes colours !!!! (it works, there is actually millions of non tech gear head geek forumites out there who just want a cool looking camera that takes photo's without wars on phase detect AF, megapixels, gigawags, thingymajigs etc !!!)

-stick with a proven formula and market niche that both Pentax and Ricoh shared, plus a history, which is stills photo, quality ergonomic designed and quality built cameras.

-find areas where technology will enhance the photographic enjoyment of their core users, such as better quality lens coatings, enhanced sensor and processing performance and let things like video, wifi, touch screen,.....coffee making and sat nav systems take their course by implementing them slowly and cost effectively later on!!!!

-Perhaps also, maybe, they have a whole batch of new K3's or whatever it's being called actually ready to ship this time not long after launch.........

I think time and patience will reveal a far rosier picture 

jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 7 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

You've spent over $5000, and you don't have a kit that would meet my needs, i.e. no fisheye, macro or long tele lens. In a few years you'll want to update the body and you'll be shopping in the $2500+ range, where I will probably spend $1000 for a fully featured APS-C.

Yes, your kit is great, but it costs considerably more than a Pentax kit, so it should be great. APS-C is the sweet spot for me, in size, price and crop factor.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Could you build the equivalent kit with Pentax + macro + fish eye + long tele for $5k??? The 560mm alone is over 5 grand and even on this forum has received a very lukewarm response at best. Not possible, if it was, I would have bought it! I loved the K5 ergonomics and thought it was the perfect compromise of size and build quality but lens prices are off the charts nowadays and I don't agree you could get an equivalent Pentax kit for $5k with 4 lenses.  Not even close unfortunately.  I also shoot Olympus and wish that Olympus would have bought out Pentax instead of Ricoh - an EM5 / K5 hybrid with Olympus's stabilization & lens technology and Pentax's ergonomics and sensor performance would be unbeatable in my opinion.  Try shooting with an EM5 and a 45mm F1.8 wide open and you'll see what I mean...

There are countless posts on this forum from people asking for the same reasonable things over and over again from Pentax/Richoh - AF speed, C-AF/tracking AF that is useable, tele-converter, SDM type lenses that aren't so slow and with a warranty that matches the ever sky-rocketing prices, more attention to video improvements, flash units/cameras that actually expose consistently, remote flash control in-body etc etc but Pentax seems to think they're better off leading on their loyalists into a constant upgrade cycle every year???

Also, don't forget that a 4 or 5 year old Nikon D700 holds it's value extremely well - I've taken a bath on every Pentax body I've bought brand new and sold 1 - 2 years later.  I paid $1400 for my K5 and I had a hard time selling it for $500 1.5 years later for a $900 dollar depreciation!!!  I'm pretty confident I'll be able to sell my D800 in 1 year for at least $1500, likely quite a bit more...(can't imagine selling it any time soon though unless Sony makes a killer mirrorless 36x24 with some new lenses and fast on sensor phase detect AF).

robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?
In reply to robbo d, 7 months ago

.........and i'm betting my money on Rictax, continuing to deliver me a superior quality, even pro level, stills photo biased camera option, particularly APS-C, that will see me possibly not ever really need FF....for quite some time to come. 

Roland Karlsson
Like?

ogl wrote:

- AA filter less.
- Black body marketed first, followed by Silver colour later, first marketed at around 120,000 Japanese Yens (i.e., US$1200) for the body-only price, no kit.

And then also another rumour from yet another poster for additional information:

- New camera (K-3) will be on show at Salon de la Photo at Paris from 7 to 11 November at Paris.

Rice High rumors

Wating for the 24 MP, and got some hints about 32 MP, but now it is 20 MP. 20MP is not all that much more than 16 MP. So, whats the big deal?

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Greyser
Like?

robbo d wrote:

.........and i'm betting my money on Rictax, continuing to deliver me a superior quality, even pro level, stills photo biased camera option, particularly APS-C, that will see me possibly not ever really need FF....for quite some time to come.

Me too. I'm not craving much for FF yet.

Gary Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,918Gear list
Like?
Re: M4/3 Vs FF
In reply to ET2, 7 months ago

ET2 wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

JL Salvignol wrote:

What is funny is that the difference between M4/3 and FF seems to be irrelevant to the apologists of M4/3. Perhaps it is too big to be significant?

Yes it's funny, they mock cameras with smaller sensors than theirs (1", for example), and yet bigger sensors have no value.

Just as some APSC people mock 4/3 sensor and then claim FF has no value (even though size difference between the two is much bigger, as I showed in the last post).

And your straw-man would be wrong. 133% is a good size jump. 64% is less of an increase, but still significant. When they can get that bigger sensor into a sub-$1k camera the size of a K-5, I'll make that jump too.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
Greyser
Like?
New details leaked?
In reply to fakuryu, 7 months ago

There is a comment on the Rice High's K-3 rumors:

You're such a fun Rice. So did you sell your 21MP 5D Mark Something after the A30000 piece of trash was announced?Is 5DMkXX worth a few thouzand $$ on top of K-3's 20MP or A30000's?
What "source" doesn't mention is the class leading AF, radical increaze in performance, next gen image procezzor that will leave any 5D in dust. Plus a senzor glide shift operating mode to capture 40MP files with amazing clarity — stuff that was rezerved for MF so far. All that using your good DA glass. Now Nikon and Canon will roll in pain, becauze they never invested in body senzor stabilization.
I think many have no idea what they're missing now; many will start selling back their Nikon D600 plasticz to get one of theze babiez.

Posted under Mike Kawasaki name 5hrs. ago.

Kind of interesting details, I think

ogl
ogl
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 7 months ago

Roland Karlsson wrote:

ogl wrote:

- AA filter less.

Rice High rumors

Wating for the 24 MP, and got some hints about 32 MP, but now it is 20 MP. 20MP is not all that much more than 16 MP. So, whats the big deal?

There is the rumor that K-3 could use the same technology like this

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/h4d-200ms.aspx

Pentax K200D Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,137Gear list
Like?

ogl wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

ogl wrote:

- AA filter less.

Rice High rumors

If it's the *same* technology, I expect Hassy's lawyers will be very busy!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,601Gear list
Like?
Re: New details leaked?
In reply to Greyser, 7 months ago

That would be an exciting feature, and for the limited cases where it could be used, would give us a lot of bragging rights.

I wonder how they'll implement the user interface for it? I'm envisioning a Shake Reduction switch with three positions.

One big question is whether it'll only be usable on a tripod. I figure that's pretty likely.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Pentax 02 Standard Zoom +3 more
ogl
ogl
Like?
In reply to sfa1966, 7 months ago

https://github.com/rolkar/x3f

If it's the *same* technology, I expect Hassy's lawyers will be very busy!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Call it - "something close". Hasselblad has no SR system, that's why Pentax has another method of shifting realization

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,646Gear list
Like?
Re: uh oh - I think you're on a roll - NT

robbo d wrote:

I believe the new Sony A3000 has a 20.1 MP sensor. Unsure if this will be the same, but one would think that Pentax/Ricoh in their own usual way will tweak as much stills photo quality into it as technologically possible.

Couple that with the 'totally unsubstantiated' possibility they have found some processing way of upgrading the IQ, then I would say they have looked for the optimum sensor performance and will have chosen a '20' for a reason.

As for ........he, who me we do not speak of........(RH) is almost seemingly bi-polar in his viewpoints, on the one hand giving some splendid technical advice, before stupidly negative rants about impending doom of Pentax. Why do people do this ? it's crazy and clearly obvious that a company such as Ricoh has taken over the Pentax brand;

-stated clearly their objectives,

-from the position we all know they were in,

-knowing the timeline required to develop and manufacture new products,

-taking a different and tighter method of information release,

-having to take a serious look at the market direction with all the right sales and profit info,

-knowing who they're up against and what area's NOT to bother competing in,

-amalgamate two sets of engineers and manufacturing systems,

-sell existing products and stocks at such prices to empty the shelves and obtain some R&D funds,

-use clever marketing tools to slowly and surely scrape back some more total market share and enhanced profitability, such as .......weather sealing and sorry but yes colours !!!! (it works, there is actually millions of non tech gear head geek forumites out there who just want a cool looking camera that takes photo's without wars on phase detect AF, megapixels, gigawags, thingymajigs etc !!!)

-stick with a proven formula and market niche that both Pentax and Ricoh shared, plus a history, which is stills photo, quality ergonomic designed and quality built cameras.

-find areas where technology will enhance the photographic enjoyment of their core users, such as better quality lens coatings, enhanced sensor and processing performance and let things like video, wifi, touch screen,.....coffee making and sat nav systems take their course by implementing them slowly and cost effectively later on!!!!

-Perhaps also, maybe, they have a whole batch of new K3's or whatever it's being called actually ready to ship this time not long after launch.........

I think time and patience will reveal a far rosier picture

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein
History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
_ _ _ _ _
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
_ _ _ _ _
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
_ _ _ _ _
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
_ _ _ _ _
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

Roland Karlsson
Like?

ogl wrote:

This only works for immobile subjects. It would be nice to have though, For some things. And it is a pity that the SR on K-5 can't be tweaked with a firmware upgrade to do it.

In practice, this technique approx. doubles the pixel count resolution. So, the 20 MP sensor will work as a 30 MP sensor, for immobile objects. Hmmm ... to me it sounds like a 32 MP sensor would be more useful.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115Gear list
Like?

ogl wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

ogl wrote:

- AA filter less.

Rice High rumors

Rumor? I think that was made up on the spot.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads