Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,691Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K3 rumor from the plant... shhh...
In reply to MightyMike, 10 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Despite all this the biggest detriment to birding photography isn't the lens or camera, its the amount of atmosphere between you and the subject, that is something you can only fix by getting closer!

I've seen birders using camouflage gear although snipers would be good bird photographers!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

I think good bird photographers would make good snipers, assuming you can hold your big long lens on target easily

Depends in general Birds don't fire back

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sorrel
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 10 months ago

why keep talking about megapixel. 20,40 whatever. if it isn't optimum by now, tell me when, 100mg. it will never be optimum. it's been 12 yrs of digital. we can only see or hear so much. that goes for audio as well.

Cynog ap Brychan
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

awaldram wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Despite all this the biggest detriment to birding photography isn't the lens or camera, its the amount of atmosphere between you and the subject, that is something you can only fix by getting closer!

I've seen birders using camouflage gear although snipers would be good bird photographers!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

I think good bird photographers would make good snipers, assuming you can hold your big long lens on target easily

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Oh, I don't know about that.  Eric Hoskins, the famous bird photographer, lost an eye to a tawny owl.

Cynog ap Brychan's gear list:Cynog ap Brychan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 +19 more
Ian J G
Contributing MemberPosts: 550Gear list
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, 10 months ago

I saw an interview a while back with Pentax execs saying they were exploring how to get more resolution by taking off the antialiasing filter – but not as in the K5s, just physically not having it – by some software-based approach.

I don't have a technical background to know how that would work, but it sounds like this could be what the rumour refers to, IF there's any truth to it.

Anyway, they did say that in public, so chances are we'll see something like that sooner or later.

For my part, better and faster autofocus would be welcome, for one thing.

What I really, really want to see is another crack at mirrorless, with lenses sunken into the body – cool or what?

Anyhoo...

All the best guys

Ian

CaptureAll
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

But they do drop bombs.

-- hide signature --
 CaptureAll's gear list:CaptureAll's gear list
Pentax K-r
Richard the picture man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,846
Like?
In reply to K_Photo_Teach, 10 months ago

K_Photo_Teach wrote:

Richard the picture man wrote:

That`s fine, please post a picture or two showing us how your images are losing out without more megapixels.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

That kind of a question implies that photography can`t benefit from more megapixels.

Do you really believe this?

I believe there are more important areas in the realms of photography, that if attended to, would benefit the photographer far far more than more megapixels. I see posts that infer more megapixels will improve our pictures. 90% of the time that comment is totally inaccurate. Heck, I have made many 20x16 pictures from 6 megapixel images captured with a K100d.

However, there would probably be a 50% improvement if people learned how to get the best from different focal length lenses.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5

Richard the picture man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,846
Like?
In reply to Cane, 10 months ago

Cane wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

If it is 20 MP I am assuming they are using the new Sony sensor? I was hoping for 24 MP

Me too, I want my megapixels.

I wish I could say :-

I want more megapixels,

I want faster auto focus,

I want more lenses,

I want more frames per second,

I want higher ISO,

I want better flash,

I want this

I want that

I want ----

Then I could be part of the gang and have lots of friends and be ever so happy and live for ever and ever.

Sadly, I`m happy with what I have and do not need any of those things to make my pictures.

Yes better flash might be nice, faster auto focus could help when I photograph football matches. However, I do need more skill to use what I have.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5

Well ok then, as long as you're satisfied, Pentax might as well let the engineering department go.

OK, perhaps I did not make myself clear, I need more skill to use correctly what I have. I am open to tuition, can you help me please ?

BTW. I have always been under the impression that the engineering department did more than just add more megapixels.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,460Gear list
Like?
Ricoh super-resolution?
In reply to Wallace Ross, 10 months ago

I just took a look at the CX5 page on the Ricoh website...

I'm confused about what super-resolution really is: is it

A. a precessing of the RAW file using intelligent sharpening algorithms for "super-resolution" jpgs, like we get from quality RAW developers, or

B. are we talking about a cleaner RAW file?

Btw, i only shoot RAW, not just for the sharper images, but more importantly for the flexibility of the 14-bit files.....

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,460Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Cafarella, 10 months ago

John Cafarella wrote:

Voff wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

20 MP and the IQ of 645D ?

How ?

-- hide signature --

/Roland

Moving sensor perhaps and stacking in software?

Yeah, that would be pretty cool...

I'm pretty sure Hassy has the patents for that....

But it would be nice....

-- hide signature --

John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,945Gear list
Like?

Ricoh rep was in the local camera store.  He was excited about the new high-end aps-c camera that is going to be announced in early Oct.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, 10 months ago

Simon Devlin wrote:

K_Photo_Teach wrote:

That`s fine, please post a picture or two showing us how your images are losing out without more megapixels.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5

That kind of a question implies that photography can`t benefit from more megapixels.

Some people forget or don't know that if you up the megapixels you also need to up the IQ of your lenses to justify them!

Hence why Nikon have a list of very expensive top end lenses recommended for use with their D800

Just sell the car and buy a 645D and be happy ever after!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Don't forget the pixel pitch on the K5 is ~equivalent to the D800.  Yes you need a full frame lens that's good to the corners but Nikon now has a nice selection of affordable lenses (sometimes cheaper & better featured than Pentax) jthat work great with the D800.  I switched from the K5 to the D800 (after shooting with K100D, K20D, K7 & K5) and for $200 you can get a great 50mm F1.8 with a lens hood and full time manual focus over-ride!  In fact a big part of the reason I switched is because Pentax's pricing strategy had become so obscene (and aggravating to someone like me watching my investment yo-yo in value constantly) that Nikon looked like a bargain and allowed me to cover my needs with far fewer lenses than I had for Pentax.

I have the 70-200 F4 (used to own the 60-250 DA* and 50-135DA*) and it is the most amazing lens I've ever had my hands on.  Being able to easily crop to 400mm equiv. with 9MP of resolution remaining is very liberating.  I can walk around with the 24-120 F4 and cover a huge range with ~F2.8 APS-C depth of field (lens is also great, extremely resistant to flare and sharp).  I got it for ~ the same price new as Pentax's 16-50!!!  Throw in an amazing Yungnuo flash with great build quality for $200(!!!) that supports full wireless slave control/i-TTL/remote flash adjustment via camera body with accurate exposure and lots of power and I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup (also picked up Yungnuo wireless RF flash triggers with full i-TTL for $100!- all less than the price of Pentax's cheapest flash that has much to be desired).  My wife thinks I use the term "bargain" a little loosely though

For the first time in a long, long time my LBA (and camera upgrade addiction) is well under control because I can finally "have it all" - great optical quality, extremely fast AF with great tracking options, and shallow depth of field in one lens.

It's a shame because the K5 really is a phenomenal camera but I just feel Pentax/Ricoh is continually dropping the ball and almost deliberately sabotaging their most loyal customers...

pixelsmithy
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
What 20MP sensor outperforms the K-5/II/IIS ?
In reply to DLBlack, 10 months ago

DLBlack wrote:

Ricoh rep was in the local camera store. He was excited about the new high-end aps-c camera that is going to be announced in early Oct.

If the OP's rumor is true and it is a 20MP sensor, then who did Pentax go with? Sony (SLT 58) or back to Samsung (NX200/300)? (Canon's sensor is even worse than those two). It looks to me like there is going to be a net LOSS of Dynamic Range to go with the gain in megapixels. Even factoring in that the cameras currently out there using the Sony/Samsung sensors are only 12-bit and the Pentax will presumably be 14-bit, I'm guessing that the Dynamic Range will go backwards 1/2EV.

Frankly, the Dynamic Range is more important to me.

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,389Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh super-resolution?
In reply to miles green, 10 months ago

miles green wrote:

I just took a look at the CX5 page on the Ricoh website...

I'm confused about what super-resolution really is: is it

A. a precessing of the RAW file using intelligent sharpening algorithms for "super-resolution" jpgs, like we get from quality RAW developers, or

B. are we talking about a cleaner RAW file?

Btw, i only shoot RAW, not just for the sharper images, but more importantly for the flexibility of the 14-bit files.....

It is about digitla zoom. As far as I can tell, it only means that the digital zoom is less than 2x. It is probably normal digital zoom, but limited in reach.

And ... the reviews I have seen have not said it is impressive in any way. So - it is probably just nonsense.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to miles green, 10 months ago

miles green wrote:

I'm pretty sure Hassy has the patents for that....

It would be very strange if it was possible to patent taking several images, moving the sensor, in order to improve the sharpness. It is 100% obvious.

But, patents are sometimes just laughable.

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
Re: What 20MP sensor outperforms the K-5/II/IIS ?
In reply to pixelsmithy, 10 months ago

pixelsmithy wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Ricoh rep was in the local camera store. He was excited about the new high-end aps-c camera that is going to be announced in early Oct.

If the OP's rumor is true and it is a 20MP sensor, then who did Pentax go with? Sony (SLT 58) or back to Samsung (NX200/300)? (Canon's sensor is even worse than those two). It looks to me like there is going to be a net LOSS of Dynamic Range to go with the gain in megapixels. Even factoring in that the cameras currently out there using the Sony/Samsung sensors are only 12-bit and the Pentax will presumably be 14-bit, I'm guessing that the Dynamic Range will go backwards 1/2EV.

Frankly, the Dynamic Range is more important to me.

Agree. Pentax backed to 12 bit for K01 though. Strange.

paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to sorrel, 10 months ago

sorrel wrote:

why keep talking about megapixel. 20,40 whatever. if it isn't optimum by now, tell me when, 100mg. it will never be optimum.

It will be optimum when the pixel pitch is smaller than the minimum circle of confusion of any available lens.  In theory that might mean getting it down near one micron, but in practice, three microns should probably do it for any real-life lens.  That makes a megapixel count of about 40 for APS size, or 90 for full frame.  A perfectly achievable number.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
janneman02
Forum ProPosts: 15,722Gear list
Like?
sooner or later

One of the rumored K-3 announcements will actually  happen.

Dont knwo about secs though, just  that it will, as usual, be called too little too late and the end of Pentax.

-- hide signature --

http://i.pbase.com/t1/73/362673/4/109584377.e8MTmsbX.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/o6/73/362673/1/90215210.jVwGKoPT.bugfv2kq5.gif
> The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
> limits.
> - Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to jay_akita, 10 months ago

jay_akita wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

K_Photo_Teach wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5

Some people forget or don't know that if you up the megapixels you also need to up the IQ of your lenses to justify them!

Hence why Nikon have a list of very expensive top end lenses recommended for use with their D800

Just sell the car and buy a 645D and be happy ever after!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Don't forget the pixel pitch on the K5 is ~equivalent to the D800. Yes you need a full frame lens that's good to the corners but Nikon now has a nice selection of affordable lenses (sometimes cheaper & better featured than Pentax) jthat work great with the D800. I switched from the K5 to the D800 (after shooting with K100D, K20D, K7 & K5) and for $200 you can get a great 50mm F1.8 with a lens hood and full time manual focus over-ride! In fact a big part of the reason I switched is because Pentax's pricing strategy had become so obscene (and aggravating to someone like me watching my investment yo-yo in value constantly) that Nikon looked like a bargain and allowed me to cover my needs with far fewer lenses than I had for Pentax.

I have the 70-200 F4 (used to own the 60-250 DA* and 50-135DA*) and it is the most amazing lens I've ever had my hands on. Being able to easily crop to 400mm equiv. with 9MP of resolution remaining is very liberating. I can walk around with the 24-120 F4 and cover a huge range with ~F2.8 APS-C depth of field (lens is also great, extremely resistant to flare and sharp). I got it for ~ the same price new as Pentax's 16-50!!! Throw in an amazing Yungnuo flash with great build quality for $200(!!!) that supports full wireless slave control/i-TTL/remote flash adjustment via camera body with accurate exposure and lots of power and I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup (also picked up Yungnuo wireless RF flash triggers with full i-TTL for $100!- all less than the price of Pentax's cheapest flash that has much to be desired). My wife thinks I use the term "bargain" a little loosely though

For the first time in a long, long time my LBA (and camera upgrade addiction) is well under control because I can finally "have it all" - great optical quality, extremely fast AF with great tracking options, and shallow depth of field in one lens.

It's a shame because the K5 really is a phenomenal camera but I just feel Pentax/Ricoh is continually dropping the ball and almost deliberately sabotaging their most loyal customers...

You say "affordable Nikon lenses", but assuming that you mean the 70-200 f2.8 (not f4), then that lens plus the 24-120 & the D800 come an an eye-watering £4372 at UK prices. Then you will need to add something at the wide angle end, so you need to add something like the 16-35 or the 14-24 into the mix for your "bargain" price ...

The Pentax weakness in this comparison is the absence of a lens with a focal range similar to the 24-120. But even if we substitute the 16-50 to the K5II, and add the 60-250, , the total comes to £2534, with no real gap, so roughly £2k cheaper than the Nikon kit.

"I consider the D800 a bargain compared to my previous Pentax setup"

I don't think it's surprising that you are pleased with your D800 kit, but is it really a "bargain" at those prices?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
mgrinrr
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, 10 months ago

DLBlack wrote:

If they wrap it up inside an MX-2 (with a tack-sharp 35mm lens and a hot shoe), I'll be excited too.

mgrinrr's gear list:mgrinrr's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?
In reply to mgrinrr, 10 months ago

DLBlack wrote:

If they wrap it up inside an MX-2 (with a tack-sharp 35mm lens and a hot shoe), I'll be excited too.

Where do you live that not only do you have a local camera store, but a Ricoh rep as well? Next you'll tell me free beer comes out of public water fountains.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads