G15 Lens Protection

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions
Omar047
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
G15 Lens Protection
Sep 18, 2013

I finally made my decision and purchased a G15 vs. a G1X. What did it for me was the fast lens of 1.8 and quick focus.

What is the best way to protect the lens for dust/dirt when using the camera?

Thanks

Omar047's gear list:Omar047's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000)
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,839Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 Lens Protection
In reply to Omar047, Sep 18, 2013

Omar047 wrote:

I finally made my decision and purchased a G15 vs. a G1X. What did it for me was the fast lens of 1.8 and quick focus.

What is the best way to protect the lens for dust/dirt when using the camera?

Thanks

Omar -

I've carried umpteen kinds of small cameras over the digital years and almost invariably I always carry my camera on a single-point fasten neck loop which is around my neck when out, and carrying the closed camera under whatever sort of top-coat or jacket I may have on. Of course how anyone carries a camera probably depends a lot on your own local weather conditions.. but I've NEVER had on any sort of filter protection of any kind.
If you do feel that it is necessary at all .. then what I regard as the ideal is the Filter Adaptor that is required for the G15. You cannot fit Fiters or anything to the lens without that adaptor..Canon themselves do one which is without a doubt the best , as it is made in a way that the Filter actually will extend and retract slightly whenever it may need to do so if the lens setting needs it to extend out that bit more.
The Canon one is a little expensive I think. a few others are sold on Ebay which are SUPPOSED to do the job but in fact they do not extend.. so they cannot be really as good.
I did however find what is an identical Holder to the Canon one.. made by good old friends JJC .. makers of probably THE best LCD Protectors for nearly every camera. Their items are excellent without reservation, and if you do a search on your own local Ebay I'm sure you will find this one..I would highly recommend...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Filter-Adapter-Conversion-Mount-58mm-for-Canon-G15-Auto-Adjust-Zoom-FA-DC58D-/310686311775?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item485658e55f

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,839Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 Lens Protection
In reply to ericN2, Sep 18, 2013

Omar -

If you hold the G15 facing you..you will see a small round button at about 5 o'clock position directly by the lens base...  that is a sort of locking button.. press it down and at the same time as holding it down you can turn the Black Collar at the base of the lens mount in ANTICLOCKWISE direction - that UNSCREWS the Black Ring and it is on that screwed base you then screw on the Adaptor.. then of course a Filter of choice will screw INTO the front of the Adaptor and as the Adaptor extends IF it needs to. you can never have the lens itself touching the front Filter. The slight penalty of course is that you never then have the fully retracted lens to lie flat on the body so it is a little more bulky when carrying even OFF.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

willsmother
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Do we really need extra protection?
In reply to ericN2, Sep 18, 2013

My S90 has survived years of abuse, trekked up to Sikkim, cycled the Tour de Timor, cycled Shan State in Burma, all dust, rain, humidity, without extra nursing

The G15 looks even more robust

Omar047
Like?
Re: Do we really need extra protection?
In reply to willsmother, Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check it out.

I guess I'm  just used to having all my lenses for my D300s protected.

willsmother
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Proof Canon cameras are tough, and don't need special nursing
In reply to Omar047, Sep 19, 2013

My S90 cycled up to Dare in Timor Leste (Dusty)

Cycled the Tour de TImor,  550 km of dust, more dust, bumping over rough tracks, and being used by dirty sweaty hands

As above

cycled Shan State in Myanmar, rain and humidity

And went up to the foot hills of Kanchenjunga in Sikkim, altitude almost 5000 metres, dusty, sub zero temperatures

And back home in Timor Leste, still going strong

Omar047
Like?
Re: Proof Canon cameras are tough, and don't need special nursing
In reply to willsmother, Sep 19, 2013

Nice pics,  looks like glacier water to me on that mountain.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,800Gear list
Like?
In reply to Omar047, Sep 20, 2013

Omar047 wrote:

I guess I'm just used to having all my lenses for my D300s protected.

Your SLR lenses don't need protection either, especially not via UV filters.  Lens hoods actually improve image quality while UV filters cause filter flare that ruins photographs.

Omar047
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Sep 20, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Omar047 wrote:

Your SLR lenses don't need protection either, especially not via UV filters. Lens hoods actually improve image quality while UV filters cause filter flare that ruins photographs.

I must ask, why don't SLR lenses need protection, I know the quality may drop but why wouldn't you want to protect the glass?

edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 Lens Protection (or any lack thereof)
In reply to willsmother, Sep 20, 2013

willsmother wrote:

My S90 has survived years of abuse, trekked up to Sikkim, cycled the Tour de Timor, cycled Shan State in Burma, all dust, rain, humidity, without extra nursing

The G15 looks even more robust

Yep. Nonetheless, both lenses have two weak points:

a) The automatic lens cap petals travel too close to the glass outer surface. Provisional remedy: don't ever touch'em. Never.

b) The major gaps for dust to enter the lens and occasionally making it to the sensor seem to be under the rims of the telescoping lens barrel which, not being sealed, acts as a (slow) vacuum pump as it extends. Provisional remedy: perhaps too optimistically, sometimes I zoom it to the max. just to check for specks on the extended barrel and dust them off.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,900Gear list
Like?

Omar047 wrote:

Protected from what?

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,900Gear list
Like?

Omar047 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Omar047 wrote:

Your SLR lenses don't need protection either, especially not via UV filters. Lens hoods actually improve image quality while UV filters cause filter flare that ruins photographs.

I must ask, why don't SLR lenses need protection, I know the quality may drop but why wouldn't you want to protect the glass?

I've been using interchangeable lens cameras for over 15 years now and have never had something scratch, break, or otherwise damage the front element on a lens.  Not sure where all the paranoia about damaging lenses comes from; must be camera & big-box salespeople pushing "protection" filters onto new users.

Unless you're shooting in really adverse conditions - a windy beach with a lot of sand & grit in the air, for example, then it's wasted money as well as having a better chance of getting flare.

The best protection you can use is actually the correct lens hood for each lens.  They provide all the protection the vast majority of users will need, and will prevent flare (except in the case of shooting directly into the sun, in which case neither a filter nor hood can help).  I don't start shooting unless the hood is properly installed on the camera.

Many years ago I dropped a camera with an 80-400mm lens attached, lens-first onto the blacktop from shoulder height.  given that I'm about 6'1, that was no short trip.  Fortunately I had the hood mounted; it absorbed the impact and the worst damage was a piece of the mounting rib on the hood broke.  However, it still mounted on the lens and there was no other damage.

Mark

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,247Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Sep 20, 2013

I concur.  I've been using SLRs since the 1970s and for the first twenty years always used a "protection" filter on the lens. Never in that time did I scratch or break the filter. Then, as my skills and quality of equipment improved, I realized that there were some instances where a filter affected auto focus or the sharpness of the image, sometimes even creating flare that the lens hood would not reduce.  My 100-400mm lens was particularly susceptible to focus problems with filters, so I stopped using them on it.  And, again, I never broke or scratched the lens, but I do use the lens hood 99% of the time. Now I only use filters when there is a need for them: polarizing filters for glare reduction, ND filters to allow for long exposures and clear filters when I am shooting around salt water and corrosive gases (such as in Yellowstone or near other thermal features).

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Omar047
Like?
In reply to edu T, Sep 20, 2013

I've been shooting DLSR and high quality lenses for 10 years and have always used lens covers. What a disappointment, a waste of money and loss of IQ.

Well, I don't need to worry about that anymore, I'm shooting a Canon G15.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Betty May
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Omar047, 3 months ago

I found my way to this forum by searching to see if anyone else had experienced lens damage on their G15.  I've owned cameras for 40 years now and have never previously had a scratched lens.  But my G15 is scratched, and badly, in that it's a small but deep almost chip-like scratch on the lens.

I have no idea how it happened.  I carry it around my neck, and place it in a padded handbag that contains nothing that it could rub against.

I noticed it when , on reviewing photos on Aperture there was a weird dark mark appearing in some shots (wide angle).  The incident that chipped the lens appear to have occurred sometime when I was out walking through the Olympic Park in London.

The G15 is ruined and I have no idea how/why It happened.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads