* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 282, 13 09 18 *

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,008
Like?
Re: Antique Jewelry
In reply to 19andrew47, 10 months ago

I could not have said it better Andrew, so I support Zin's view / judgment on this compleetly as number two got a better WB and number one the better colors in the emblem.

Lou

-

19andrew47 wrote:

Well, sort of has that look anyway for me. Grill details from a 1933 Studebaker that looked like it was in original unrestored condition. Some visible paint damage, surface rust but all in all in very good shape considering its age.

Andrew

Two versions of the same image.

12 - 50 mm

12 - 50 mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,979
Like?
Great observation
In reply to Zindanfel, 10 months ago

Great observation of contrasting lines or vectors.
This is the kind of thing that only photographers notice in the chaos and clutter of life.
And then they use photography to make other people look at that scene with a heightened awareness (or maybe not all other people but at least other photographers....)
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,979
Like?
The moment
In reply to CharlesB58, 10 months ago

The moments that make the photographer say "yes!!" and make a mental high five with himself are those where the light and the pose are perfectly in synch and the photographer was there, ready to catch it in the tiny time window before it is gone.
I believe someone somewhere once called that "le moment decisif"...
Be proud!
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Re: Some place that you would rather be...
In reply to stephent, 10 months ago

It's a terrific viewpoint. I like the lines leading into the scene. The placement of the sun on top of the chair is brilliant (no pun intended). It creates a sharp focal point for the eye to follow the reflected light into the scene. Lots of leading lines here.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,159
Like?
Re: Rising moon and sunset over Fox Ridge
In reply to dave gaines, 10 months ago

dave gaines wrote:

I call this place Fox Ridge for the fox that show up here at sunset. My wife and I hiked up here on Sunday and saw two deer near the top, which is rare for this 4200 foot high ridge, a mile or two from any surface water. Before the Station Fire of 2009 there was a fiberglass cistern just over the rise that saved water for the animals to drink. That water attracted deer and fox. We're starting to see them return again this year. I want to build another watering trough.

The low grey box in the middle is a concrete cistern that holds 6500 gallons of water, locked up for use by the Forest Service. I told Andrew a story about this place below my photo in the Sunday Scapes thread about Strawberry Peak.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52180585

E-5 & 14-35 m lens at 28 mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/40 sec

Fox Ridge

For perspective, the same place seen from the other direction a few months ago when the yucca were blooming. Concrete tank on the left and burnt tree just past it.

Fox Ridge

The same ridge looking towards the road/trail. The tank is visible here too. We like to picnic in the shade of these trees.

Fox Ridge

-- hide signature --

Dave

The information about the location and circumstances are interesting, and it looks like a great place to hike and explore. Or even film a John Wayne movie. However, my C&C considers the pictures in a purely photographic context.

In #1 and #2 the tank doesn't have enough presence to explain itself, which requires the images to rely on text, complicating viewer interaction. This could work if the pictures were part of a travel-type essay which included the water/tank aspect, but in stand-alone scenics the angular, partially-seen tank dilutes theme and competes with the moon (in #1) and yucca (in #2).

Ordinarily, I would suggest to crop off the cistern, but that works only in #2 because in #1 the crop would ruin any tree-ground relationship.

If you have opportunity to shoot #1 again, you might consider aligning the moon so it appears as a lone ornament on a drooping branch of a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree.

#3. Interesting contrast -- a green tree against mostly dry hills. A wide panorama could be impressive.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Fixxxer
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
Re: Swan Flower..
In reply to LouHolland, 10 months ago

I think it's a wonderful shot that reminds me of an artwork with the flora standing out from the water background in such a way it feels almost unnatural yet still for real. I like this one a lot and I have nothing constructive to say for it.

Fixxxer's gear list:Fixxxer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Fixxxer
Like?
Re: Echoing Andrew's grillework theme...

I think this reminds me a bit of the french film noir with the scene, the light and the perspective. All though you might not have intentionally made it this way I think it looks superb! It looks so mysterious and cold and your subject feel so isolated from the world with only her phone there to connect her to the world. The scene was perhaps not planned to look this way but I think you nailed it.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Fixxxer
Like?
Re: Portrait of an E-620 user
In reply to kallmalm, 10 months ago

I think that guy needs to shave... but as far as your photo goes I think the sunglass reflection makes the photo. Without it this repulsive looking person would just make for a wasted shot - because let's face it, you can't use a photo with a person looking this ugly if you don't have anything else in the shot.

Oh wait... that's me with the E-620. Carry on then

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Portrait of an E-620 user
In reply to kallmalm, 10 months ago

A nicely caught portrait of your brother stalking his next shot Daniel.  From the looks of the reflection in his glasses it should be a beautiful sunset image.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?

As a set this gives an informative perspective on the location Dave.  I like the second image with the tall and out of proportion flower stalk reaching into the sky.  (for a pretty picture look the cistern can easily be removed as below)  The last is also a nice landscape and easy to see why you would sit in the shade of that tree.

Andrew

original image by Dave Gaines, temporary post for C&C purposes only

19andrew47
Like?
Group reply and attempt at WB issues in grill

I was well aware of the colour in the grill in the more colourful of the two images before posting. It was introduced by the process and has been difficult to cure. The wb varies across the frame both up and down and side to side. If there is a good way to address this I have not found it, yet!  When I posted originally I had been unable to find a satisfactory 'cure'.

A less than perfect attempt is below.

Andrew

12 - 50 mm

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Picture of a reindeer
In reply to Fixxxer, 10 months ago

Well caught.  It blends well with the rocks.  Perhaps it is there to mark its territory

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,159
Like?
Re: Group reply and attempt at WB issues in grill

Looks pretty good to me, Andrew.  Both the bars and the badge are improved.

Now in this later look, I notice that some of the grille bar spacing is uneven, as if over the years some bars might've got bent and re-straightened.  This is an interesting subtle detail which confirms that the car is not fresh off the showroom floor.

You might want to consider trying various borders.

-- hide signature --

Zin

LouHolland
Like?
Re: Andrew, as you wish. ;~)

Zin, this one seems for uncertain reasons more logical to me, it's just a feeling about it.

Probably a psychological thing and could be related to left or right handed for instance, but there can be other reasons as well. BTW camera settings could help making a picture but in the end it's always the outcome that counts and even sometimes failure shots could be very artistic. I think your shot is already a Dynosaur as Roels image is from the Bedoeine with mobile phone in North Africa, so you have to care this shot with is nicely play of lines. I very like your second alot, this one thus.

Lou

-

Zindanfel wrote:

19andrew47 wrote:

Grill squared! Nicely put together. Too bad the cellphone wasn't in the other hand!

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Zin

LouHolland
Like?
Re: The Kiss
In reply to CharlesB58, 10 months ago

Lucky or not this is a great shot which got all dynamics needed to be succesfull, also for a stage play it looks very real and authentic.

Lou

-

CharlesB58 wrote:

A split second timed shot from a comedy skit (definitely some luck involved: a second later the were out of the main light and their backs were turned to me) . I'm still mulling this one over as far as possible B&W version or a tighter crop. So far this is the version I favor, but that could change next week!

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

LouHolland
Like?

For C&C it's difficult to choice between three different shots! Do I praise the good one or do I make critics on an other one. Mainly people like to here the good things, so I go for the seconds as I find that one magnificent. It is so delicate composed with such nice transparancies and fading colors where needed that the other two can't stand in it's shadow. Maybe I personal would clone out that grey rectangle left from the yucca. Beautiful shot.

Lou

-

dave gaines wrote:

I call this place Fox Ridge for the fox that show up here at sunset. My wife and I hiked up here on Sunday and saw two deer near the top, which is rare for this 4200 foot high ridge, a mile or two from any surface water. Before the Station Fire of 2009 there was a fiberglass cistern just over the rise that saved water for the animals to drink. That water attracted deer and fox. We're starting to see them return again this year. I want to build another watering trough.

The low grey box in the middle is a concrete cistern that holds 6500 gallons of water, locked up for use by the Forest Service. I told Andrew a story about this place below my photo in the Sunday Scapes thread about Strawberry Peak.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52180585

E-5 & 14-35 m lens at 28 mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/40 sec

For perspective, the same place seen from the other direction a few months ago when the yucca were blooming. Concrete tank on the left and burnt tree just past it.

Fox Ridge

The same ridge looking towards the road/trail. The tank is visible here too. We like to picnic in the shade of these trees.

-- hide signature --

Dave

LouHolland
Like?
In reply to OlyChamp, 10 months ago

Thane you're priceless, those so called numbers is my copyright icon. So it could be removed as easely as I've placed it

Thanks for your kind comments.

Lou

-

OlyChamp wrote:

Lou

Impressive subject, impressive image and composition and dynamic colour range.

My only nit is the numbers on the grey part of the image? Any reason they are there and if none maybe clone out??

Thanks for making my day

Thane

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"
E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,280Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouHolland, 10 months ago

LouHolland wrote:

Thane you're priceless, those so called numbers is my copyright icon. So it could be removed as easely as I've placed it

Thanks for your kind comments.

Lou

-

OlyChamp wrote:

Lou

Impressive subject, impressive image and composition and dynamic colour range.

My only nit is the numbers on the grey part of the image? Any reason they are there and if none maybe clone out??

Thanks for making my day

Thane

-- hide signature --

I had thought as much Lou, lol.  Maybe a less intrusive placement

Still a great shot nonetheless.

Thane

-- hide signature --

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
LouHolland
Like?

Zin, I've looked at the original and I admit there is some slightmovement in the water but it's so less that it is hardly better thand the processed version.

Thanks Zin

Lou

-

Zindanfel wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Butomus umbellatus, in Dutch.. Zwanenbloem or a simple translation, Swan Flower.

Lou

Thanks for looking & Comments

E3, 14-54mmII, F8.0, ET1/250, ISO100

At first look, I thought that the lower part of the photograph was overcrowded, but then I realized that much of the material there is the same Zwanenbloem blossom but at a slightly different stage of bloom. This is very nice; it helps integrate the picture and also imparts a temporal "depth" element into the scene.

Water is absent, being only hinted at by the lily pads. This forces a viewer to consider the plants as pure forms, outside usual context. The choice of gray background tells me the artist intends this perception. This emphasis on form reminds me of a Chinese flora painting style.

I'm not sold on the round corners + shadow-frame. For some viewers, this may suggest the old format of drugstore 4x6 prints, a notion which lacks the elegance one might desire for this image.

-- hide signature --

Zin

LouHolland
Like?
Philias Fogg... :)

Andrew you look like Philias Fogg from "Around the world in 80 days

Funny catch

Lou

-

19andrew47 wrote:

In the portrait below you will note characteristics of an EM5 user: stout girth supported by huge belt buckle with miniature camera held in large hands and also the very tiny head! Lest you judge him too harshly though, a close inspection would show an E3 hanging from the spyder holster on his right hip. In case you are interested the car is a 1928 Ford Model A and part of it will be a subject you will see here in the future.

Andrew

12 - 50 mm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads