How many still shoot film?

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: nooo... :)
In reply to Fogsville, Oct 9, 2013

Very well said!  A great post that was a pleasure to read.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AEPA
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: First Roll Developed!
In reply to Colorado CJ, Oct 10, 2013

I just finished developing my first roll of film ever! It is also the first roll of film out of my new medium format camera, a Mamiya RB67 Pro S. The film is hanging up to dry right now.

I am hoping to get an enlarger in a few days, so I can try my had at printing as well. This could become a serious addiction 

For those interested, the film is 120 roll film Delta 100. I developed it in Xtol 1:1 and fixed it using TF-4

If you own a film scanner please do scan and post your first developed roll.

AEPA's gear list:AEPA's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,381Gear list
Like?
Re: How many still shoot film?
In reply to AEPA, Oct 10, 2013

I would love to, but it is just too expensive

If I were to shoot film, I would want to develop my own B&Ws.  I would need chemicals and supplies for that, not to mention a darkroom (bathroom?).  Add in the cost of film ($10 / 36 frames if you find a great deal), and within not many frames you have spent enough to buy a decent mid-range DSLR.

Quite sad, really...

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Roar Arne Velle
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Big One, Oct 10, 2013

Dear sirs,

I still shoot film, sometimes. The DOF and rendering in portrait and the quality in outdoor landscape is the reason. I use 6x6, Bronica S2a, 75mm Nikon and 150mm Zenzanon. But it is somewhat expensive to get realy good scans to get the quality to print. My Epson V750 is good, but not good enough. I sometimes get professional scan, - Noritsu and then the quality is good. Black and white I do myself as done some 40 years, but my darkroom for printing is packed away. My ink-printing has not got the level I like. I have also Zeiss 6x9 and Rollei 6x6. My old Primaflex is worn out. My old FE2 and 801 is not much better than my LX5, IQ-wise. With film, - only MF

All my cameras late of 1950 still works. I don't think you can say that about digital. Some days I need a FX DSLR to replace my film MF. I think they are good enough now and you can mimic film.

Roar Arne Velle's gear list:Roar Arne Velle's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
AEPA
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roar Arne Velle, Oct 10, 2013

Roar Arne Velle wrote:

Dear sirs,

I still shoot film, sometimes. The DOF and rendering in portrait and the quality in outdoor landscape is the reason. I use 6x6, Bronica S2a, 75mm Nikon and 150mm Zenzanon. But it is somewhat expensive to get realy good scans to get the quality to print. My Epson V750 is good, but not good enough. I sometimes get professional scan, - Noritsu and then the quality is good. Black and white I do myself as done some 40 years, but my darkroom for printing is packed away. My ink-printing has not got the level I like. I have also Zeiss 6x9 and Rollei 6x6. My old Primaflex is worn out. My old FE2 and 801 is not much better than my LX5, IQ-wise. With film, - only MF

All my cameras late of 1950 still works. I don't think you can say that about digital. Some days I need a FX DSLR to replace my film MF. I think they are good enough now and you can mimic film.

I have a Kodak 1-A jr that I modified for 120 film and working on a project currently with it. I still have and shoot a Nikon F. I find its best to keep options around for if anything motivation. So your Primaflex maybe worn out but it definitely still has value.

Ive always wanted to get into wet-plate work but just never managed to pull it together.

AEPA's gear list:AEPA's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
Roar Arne Velle
Like?
In reply to AEPA, Oct 10, 2013

AEPA wrote:

Roar Arne Velle wrote:

Dear sirs,

I have a Kodak 1-A jr that I modified for 120 film and working on a project currently with it. I still have and shoot a Nikon F. I find its best to keep options around for if anything motivation. So your Primaflex maybe worn out but it definitely still has value.

Ive always wanted to get into wet-plate work but just never managed to pull it together.

My Primaflex was used by my father for children photographing from 1936 until he retired as master-ph. 1974. It has a wonderful 10,5 cm Meyer MacroPlasmat. I have used it some few times. But a lot of my later darkroom work was with 5x7 plates (European standard) with a 10,5 cm 1927 Tessar and Ikonta as enlarger (homemade-beautiful), making prints after my fathers work. For personal use most 6x6 with IFF Duogon and sometimes Leitz Focomat. Most of old work and equipment is donated to a high school and a public museum. Nothing is lost. I keep the Primaflex in memory of my fathers work. Working in darkroom is fun. I started training in the 1960ies. Maybe some day...?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 530
Like?
In reply to Roar Arne Velle, Oct 10, 2013

4x5 cameras and lenses are relatively cheap these days compared to prices in the past. I can buy quality lenses for 1/3 of what they were when new; same goes for quality studio rail cameras or compact folding metal cameras (e.g., Linhof, Toyo, Horseman, Wista.) While film is still more expensive than other formats, B+W sheet film is very affordable. In addition, one can use roll film backs on view cameras and get a wide choice of frame sizes, like 6x12. Roll film backs can be found really cheap these days.

You can easily develop B+W 4x5 sheets at home (either in tubes, or in the manual inversion Jobo tanks, or in trays.) And for most uses (smaller prints, etc.) the Epson flatbeds such as the one you have work fine for sheet film. You get such a huge area of film that the scan resolution does not need to be very high for even 20x24 print sizes. And if you do decide you need exhibition print quality scans then drum scans are always available. The tonal range of such a large piece of film is really quite wide and smooth, and of course there's the high resolution since enlargement is minimal. And the grain pattern of non-conventional grained film like Ilford's Delta, Fuji's Acros, and Kodak's T-Max products mean there's no visible grain (if that's the look you're desiring.)

I primarily use color reversal film in both 4x5 and 8x10 and yes, the costs are higher for the film itself (processing isn't bad and I luckily have a place with a Refrema dip and dunk processor nearby.) But B+W in 4x5 is a very viable film choice option for anybody.

Ilford HP5 Plus 4x5 sheet

Roar Arne Velle
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Oct 11, 2013

In replay to Fogsville:

I have used flatbed a lot for big formats. There the flatbeds as V750 is good enough, but for quality 6x6 film scanning I find it not so satisfactionary. The Photo Museum in Ålesund, Norway use light box and D800 with good result. They are in the work of copying/digitalising 60000 old plates from my fathers work from early 1920'ies to middle 1970, covering local history. During 20 years I did a non profit job of making and giving pictures to historical magazines, book and some private too. The old plates have no value if someone is not doing that job. Now, this job is handed over.

Yes, developing plate film in dark in trays. is easy for BW, but not so much for colour. The temp. and time control needed is difficult. But doing the magic by chemistry is fascinating. Thank you for your input and thoughts. Good luck.

Thomas Toolan
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to AEPA, Oct 15, 2013

Here's a couple of recent shots.

Nikon F6 with 105 f/2.8G AF-S VR and Ektar 100

Nikon F6 with 85 f/1.4D AF-S also with Ektar 100

Tom

Thomas Toolan's gear list:Thomas Toolan's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +11 more
crsantin
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
In reply to AEPA, Oct 17, 2013

I shoot both digital and film.  I shoot film on a very regular basis.  I've learned to develop my own black and white film and then I scan it.  For c-41, Walmart does a pretty good job for less than $5 per roll.  I much prefer the look of film to digital, but I much prefer the convenience of digital to film.  120 film is just wonderful stuff and the scans really knock my socks off.  35mm is really great too, a lot of fun.  Kodak Ektar 100 scans really really well, lots of sharpness and detail.  I know it's pretty easy to assume film is dead, especially on a site like this one, but film is far from dead...there are lots of folks who still shoot it and prefer it over digital.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads