How many still shoot film?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Re: How many still shoot film?
In reply to AEPA, 10 months ago

AEPA wrote:

Hmmm.... I still have 2 rolls of Kodak P3200 T-Tmax. I'll have to load up my F-5 and get those exposed before the film goes bad.

Of course I'll have to pull the ole Nikon Coolscan 4000 out of retirement to scan those shots.

Anyway I don't really miss film now that I've moved to digital, but it would be nice to shoot a few rolls to bring back the memories. Especially shooing with the F5, or even my F100

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

As I think film still has a place in photography I'll admit digital is a great work flow. One thing about film tho it always makes me think a little more before I press the shutter.

This is most definitely true. And it's the one thing that taught me how to expose and focus properly. Gets kind of expensive taking bad pictures

I think I'll play with my F5 in the next coming weeks to get rid of my last rolls of film.

And yeah, the one great thing about digital is the quick and easy workflow compared to film.  For me, I have a pro store process my film, but scan them myself using a Nikon Coolscan. From there I may have to clean the scans, adjust exposure, than print.

With digital it's usually just import, tweak a little, then print. Fairly easy.

With film there is something special about it, especially getting a print directly from the negative. That's becoming a lost art, and anyone doing it well could be well off it the field.

My two cents.

-- hide signature --

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DigitalJay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?
Just today...

I fired a couple of exposures on my Nikon FA. Admittedly, it's taking a while to fill up 36 exposures. Way different when the "sensor" is consumable and there is no "Delete" option, LOL!

Jay

DigitalJay's gear list:DigitalJay's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1
reps2
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?

Me, I've gone back to my distant youth and bought a (second hand, obviously) F5, with a push-pull 70-210. It seems very happy with the new 24 - 120 f:4. Working out how to set the SB900 is a work in progress! I do find it difficult in the UK to have a fixed ISO, and as low as 400 at that!

I'm still trying to get the hang of it, and to find the PC - 10pin cable required for Photo Secretary. Herewith a couple of snatched street shots:

Lunch!

One more baloon and it's lift off!

-- hide signature --

Richard

reps2
Like?
In reply to Chikubi, 10 months ago

Chikubi wrote:

Definitely lighter than my D3 kit for sure.

I rather think the F5 weighs more than my D3s, but no matter! The shot above is, with respect, brilliant, and far more evocative than colour would have been.

-- hide signature --

Richard

reps2
Like?
Re: Just today...
In reply to DigitalJay, 10 months ago

DigitalJay wrote:

I fired a couple of exposures on my Nikon FA. Admittedly, it's taking a while to fill up 36 exposures. Way different when the "sensor" is consumable and there is no "Delete" option, LOL!

Jay

...and I'm finding the urge to automatically look down at the LCD to see the shot difficult to get out of!

-- hide signature --

Richard

DigitalJay
Like?
LOL...
In reply to reps2, 10 months ago

Me too!!!

Jay

Stujomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?

I still shoot some B&W film from time to time. I use either a Leica IIIa or a Nikon FM2.

Here's a couple with the FM2 and 24mm AIS.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501Gear list
Like?
Re: Digital is not so inexpensive!

I did not mention, in my earlier reply, thay my wife and I both developed B&W film during our younger days, in darkrooms at school. We may build a home darkroom in the future, as we have entered those nostalgic years.

I have seen several mentions of the expense of film, compared to digital. While this is true, to an extent, it ignores the substantial expense of a computer, a truly capable monitor, software, digital media storage, and such. We are looking at the acquisition of a new computer, or two, some time within the next six to eight months. For our non-photographic needs, we could each be satisfied with something like the 11" Macbook Air.

The limitations of my wife's computer, which had been state of the art not so long before, became painfully apparent when we acquired 16MP and 18MP DSLRs. (Of course, if we wish to digitize our negatives, and then work with the files, a decent computer and monitor will be desirable.)

Then, there are the cameras. I bought my film SLRs as pre-owned, but pristine. My two as-new F6 cameras cost less than a new D800, and a new F6 would have cost hundreds less than a D800, yet the F6 is more like a D2/D3D4-series camera in build quality and ergonomics. The F6 was announced together with the D2x, but the F6 has no digital sensor to become obsolete. The Nikon factory in Sendai still makes a few F6 cameras a year, so support is not a problem. Life is good!

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,567Gear list
Like?
nooo... :)

AEPA wrote:

For the first time in a long time I pulled out my Nikon F5 and figured i'll see what its like to shoot with the new generation of nikon lenses. I loaded a roll of ilford 400 delta, grabbed the 24-70 f2.8, the 85 f1.4 and set off to see what I can come up with.

Needless to say I had a blast and this is the end result.

Red filter used 85 f1.4

Red filter used 24-70 f2.8

how did you manage to shoot without chimping??

i tried film once after shooting with my dslr for a while, and i kept looking back for an lcd. that is when i gave up by n90s ! it went for a fraction of the price i got it for :/

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
AEPA
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: nooo... :)
In reply to Devendra, 10 months ago

Devendra wrote:

AEPA wrote:

For the first time in a long time I pulled out my Nikon F5 and figured i'll see what its like to shoot with the new generation of nikon lenses. I loaded a roll of ilford 400 delta, grabbed the 24-70 f2.8, the 85 f1.4 and set off to see what I can come up with.

Red filter used 85 f1.4

i tried film once after shooting with my dslr for a while, and i kept looking back for an lcd. that is when i gave up by n90s ! it went for a fraction of the price i got it for :/

AEPA's gear list:AEPA's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
AEPA
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?

Devendra wrote:

AEPA wrote:

Red filter used 85 f1.4

lol.. I actually have image review turned off on all my dslrs and only check the first photo until the subject or lighting changes. I found it bothersome to have it on because I would go to make a change looking in view finder and i would only be scrolling through photos.

AEPA's gear list:AEPA's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, 10 months ago

Rexgig0 wrote:

I have seen several mentions of the expense of film, compared to digital. While this is true, to an extent, it ignores the substantial expense of a computer, a truly capable monitor, software, digital media storage, and such. We are looking at the acquisition of a new computer, or two, some time within the next six to eight months. For our non-photographic needs, we could each be satisfied with something like the 11" Macbook Air.

The limitations of my wife's computer, which had been state of the art not so long before, became painfully apparent when we acquired 16MP and 18MP DSLRs. (Of course, if we wish to digitize our negatives, and then work with the files, a decent computer and monitor will be desirable.)

Then, there are the cameras. I bought my film SLRs as pre-owned, but pristine. My two as-new F6 cameras cost less than a new D800, and a new F6 would have cost hundreds less than a D800, yet the F6 is more like a D2/D3D4-series camera in build quality and ergonomics. The F6 was announced together with the D2x, but the F6 has no digital sensor to become obsolete. The Nikon factory in Sendai still makes a few F6 cameras a year, so support is not a problem. Life is good!

It all evens out eventually. I shot with film up until 10/11 and decided I didn't want to deal with the headaches of finding film, processing and cleaning negatives/slides, scanning, and spot removals.

Then there's the expense of the scanner (I have a Nikon Coolscan LS4000ED) if you plan on scanning and digitizing your images, which BTW requires a computer anyway.

Oh and let's not forget the chemicals and items/equipment needed to process your own film. Or the expense of having someone reputable doing it for you.

Yes, the initial expense in digital photography can be expensive, but it levels off, and from there it just comes down to upgrades every few years.

Anyway in the end it all comes down to convenience and ease with digital photography.  Film on the other hand just has that nostalgic look that's just priceless.

My two cents.

-- hide signature --

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to ADMint, 10 months ago

ADMint wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

It all evens out eventually. I shot with film up until 10/11 and decided I didn't want to deal with the headaches of finding film, processing and cleaning negatives/slides, scanning, and spot removals.

Then there's the expense of the scanner (I have a Nikon Coolscan LS4000ED) if you plan on scanning and digitizing your images, which BTW requires a computer anyway.

Oh and let's not forget the chemicals and items/equipment needed to process your own film. Or the expense of having someone reputable doing it for you.

Yes, the initial expense in digital photography can be expensive, but it levels off, and from there it just comes down to upgrades every few years.

Anyway in the end it all comes down to convenience and ease with digital photography. Film on the other hand just has that nostalgic look that's just priceless.

My two cents.

-- hide signature --

Quite true! Neither is inexpensive; I just wanted to address the "digital is virtually free" idea that I see posted all too often. I hope my tone is seen as positive; no rant intended.  I use both Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses, and enjoy both film and digital.

-- hide signature --

--

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
RobG67
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
Count me in.

No Nikon film gear, but I do have a couple of Mamiya 35mm bodies, a number of RF bodies from various Japanese makers (none of that German nonsense for me, TYVM), assorted other 35mm bodies as well as a very sweet Yashica. And my new baby, a Bronica SQ-Ai. Which rocks.

atamola
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

F100. Two shots today. Went back home because I forgot my polarizing filter.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,034
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, 10 months ago

Rexgig0 wrote:
Neither is inexpensive; I just wanted to address the "digital is virtually free" idea that I see posted all too often. I hope my tone is seen as positive; no rant intended. I use both Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses, and enjoy both film and digital.

Shoot whatever you like and enjoy.

As for me though, I would have a computer for many other uses than just digital photography, and a decent monitor too. And at 25 to 50 cents a shot for every digital photo I've shot in the past (say) five years, it would have cost me far more for fiilm and processing than I've spent on my computer, my digital camera, my monitors, and all my other photo-related stuff.

With digital, the more photos you take, the lower the per-photo cost becomes. With film, every press of the shutter release is 25 or 50 cents, without fail, whether you take 50 or 2500 photos.

If someone can afford the film etc. and enjoys shooting it, I say good for them. I'm done with it. I really do believe it's too expensive for my wallet, not to mention a heck of a lot less convenient.

t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?

AEPA wrote:

Devendra wrote:

AEPA wrote:

Red filter used 85 f1.4

fantastic images btw..can any digital camera produce B/W images like these?..my black /white digital conversions are nice..but can't get the wonderful tonality of b/w film

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

roundball
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?
In reply to t.c. marino, 10 months ago

t.c. marino wrote:

kodak ektar

Interesting...thought Ektar died / disappeared years ago.
I remember way back when I was using Canon A1 / FD lenses while raising kids, and Ektar 1000 came out it was a great addition as it helped me shoot my kids low light indoor events, stage plays, etc, just getting by with the stage lights...then I thought it went out of production.

DigitalJay
Like?
In reply to t.c. marino, 10 months ago

Film tonality IS a wonderful thing, but all the film images we are looking at here have become digital by the scan process. So the answer is (in some form) "Yes".

Jay

rubicon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?

Nice shots, I was "messing" around with my cameras this morning, raining, and was holding my F100?? and now i see this thread, sooooo!! I'm grabbing a couple rolls of Porta 400 and a lens Hmmmm, and get out the rains stopped and I'm tired of setting her looking at this "Idiot box"

Rubicon:

rubicon's gear list:rubicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads