How many still shoot film?

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions
AEPA
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
How many still shoot film?
Sep 16, 2013

For the first time in a long time I pulled out my Nikon F5 and figured i'll see what its like to shoot with the new generation of nikon lenses. I loaded a roll of ilford 400 delta, grabbed the 24-70 f2.8, the 85 f1.4 and set off to see what I can come up with.

Needless to say I had a blast and this is the end result.

Red filter used 85 f1.4

Red filter used 24-70 f2.8

Red filter used 24-70 f2.8

AEPA's gear list:AEPA's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +8 more
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
You can find a lot of them in Latin America
In reply to AEPA, Sep 16, 2013

You can find a lot of Photographers in Latin America shooting film, either professional or amateur.

In the last one month I found a couple of professionals making a marriage in Mexico City using Nikon FM and another couple in the suburbs from São Paulo, Brazil, making pictures of students in a public school (for sale to their parents). I found them (recently) in Peru, Chile, Colombia and Argentina, also.

Amateurs are using film cameras also, mainly senior citizens (including my 70+ years old parents).

Despite the big number of cameras embedded into mobiles, cheap digital cameras, and for each day less options for films and cameras for them, it is yet common in Latin America, either in big urban centers as well at country side.

Film is not dead. Yet...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nick Jones 08
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: How many still shoot film?
In reply to AEPA, Sep 16, 2013

F5 user chiming in. Mostly shoot Provia 100F for personal image making and Kodak Portra 400 for event coverage.

I mostly use the 50mm 1.8G. For careful composing of buildings in daylight I use a 28mm 3.5 AI. I also have an 80-200mm 2.8 D, push-pull version.

Cheers.

Nick Jones 08's gear list:Nick Jones 08's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to Nick Jones 08, Sep 17, 2013

nikon f100 user checking in,just shot a roll of kodak ektar 100 color negative not too long ago for a personal project...FANTASTIC COLORS right out the box and very sharp.i HAVE to shoot digital to stay competetive..but shoot film for my personal work.sold my f5 but have all my retired manual focus nikons from years ago,all in perfect  condition..and no issues AT ALL .(nikon fe/fe2,f100..my favorite nikon camera body ever)

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Chikubi
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
In reply to AEPA, Sep 17, 2013

I still shoot film pretty regularly lately. I have a Canon A-1 w/ good selection of lenses, plus some Pentax gear as well, and I find it enjoyable and a comfortable setup to use. Definitely lighter than my D3 kit for sure.

Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

Since getting a Fuji XPro1, I shoot film more than my D800!...which is fairly often btw.  Mamiya RZ67 ProII with Delta100 and Portra 160.

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chikubi, Sep 17, 2013

How these images are scanned?

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Samsung TL500 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 +8 more
sixtiesphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
In reply to caspianm, Sep 17, 2013

Nice photos above - very nice.

Are you doing your own developing and scanning or sending it out?

I still use Nikon F2, F3/T, F4; Leica M3, M6, and Hasselblads.
--
"Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." - Edward Weston

sixtiesphotographer's gear list:sixtiesphotographer's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D700 Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,719Gear list
Like?
Re: Recent return to film...

For some of my personal images, I have recently started using film. My on-the-job digital images are evidentiary, and therefore usually a negative influence upon my mind. One antidote is using film, with Nikon FM3A and F6 film SLR cameras, so I can choose to do everything manually, or take advantage of the latest lens and flash technology. I have yet to settle upon any favored films. I will probably shoot much more film after I retire some time in the next few years.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +25 more
ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

Hmmm.... I still have 2 rolls of Kodak P3200 T-Tmax. I'll have to load up my F-5 and get those exposed before the film goes bad.

Of course I'll have to pull the ole Nikon Coolscan 4000 out of retirement to scan those shots.

Anyway I don't really miss film now that I've moved to digital, but it would be nice to shoot a few rolls to bring back the memories. Especially shooing with the F5, or even my F100

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to t.c. marino, Sep 17, 2013

t.c. marino wrote:

nikon f100 user checking in,just shot a roll of kodak ektar 100 color negative not too long ago for a personal project...FANTASTIC COLORS right out the box and very sharp.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "colors right out the box" mean with film? I know it is difficult to define "out of the box" with digital, as so much depends on the RAW converter and its default settings. I thought it was even more arbitrary with film development?

ADMint
Like?
In reply to Chikubi, Sep 17, 2013

Chikubi wrote:

I still shoot film pretty regularly lately. I have a Canon A-1 w/ good selection of lenses, plus some Pentax gear as well, and I find it enjoyable and a comfortable setup to use. Definitely lighter than my D3 kit for sure.

Oh the memories. I'll never bash Canon because it was there I got started in photography, especially once I got a Canon A-1; man did I love that camera.

Nice shot BTW.

Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
ADMint
Like?
In reply to mlewan, Sep 17, 2013

mlewan wrote:

t.c. marino wrote:

nikon f100 user checking in,just shot a roll of kodak ektar 100 color negative not too long ago for a personal project...FANTASTIC COLORS right out the box and very sharp.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "colors right out the box" mean with film? I know it is difficult to define "out of the box" with digital, as so much depends on the RAW converter and its default settings. I thought it was even more arbitrary with film development?

It is, especially since the exposure could be influenced by the processor. That said, the film does have a way of providing you with eye popping colors. Especially if correctly exposed. I suppose that's what the OP means as I believe the statement is figurative rather than literal.

But I'm not him/her so I'm sure they'll provide a better answer to your question since they made the statement. Having shot some of the film myself a few years back, I get their meaning.

-- hide signature --

AEPA
Like?
In reply to sixtiesphotographer, Sep 17, 2013

Nice photos above - very nice.

Are you doing your own developing and scanning or sending it out?

I still use Nikon F2, F3/T, F4; Leica M3, M6, and Hasselblads.
--
"Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." - Edward Weston

I do not process my own film a shop local to me does it for me. I read somewhere ilford has opened up a US lab, so I need to give them a try soon.
The film is scanned on a cannon film scanner.

Nikon Coolpix S6000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +8 more
AEPA
Like?
In reply to ADMint, Sep 17, 2013

Hmmm.... I still have 2 rolls of Kodak P3200 T-Tmax. I'll have to load up my F-5 and get those exposed before the film goes bad.

Of course I'll have to pull the ole Nikon Coolscan 4000 out of retirement to scan those shots.

Anyway I don't really miss film now that I've moved to digital, but it would be nice to shoot a few rolls to bring back the memories. Especially shooing with the F5, or even my F100

-- hide signature --

As I think film still has a place in photography I'll admit digital is a great work flow. One thing about film tho it always makes me think a little more before I press the shutter.

Dave Thompson
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?

Tri X on an F2 and OM1n and I process it myself. Takes me back to my youth and what really got me into photography.....

Dave Thompson's gear list:Dave Thompson's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,558
Like?
Now and then

AEPA wrote:

For the first time in a long time I pulled out my Nikon F5 and figured i'll see what its like to shoot with the new generation of nikon lenses. I loaded a roll of ilford 400 delta, grabbed the 24-70 f2.8, the 85 f1.4 and set off to see what I can come up with.

Needless to say I had a blast and this is the end result.

Got a F100 for the modern Nikon lenses and a FE for the AI-lenses. Bought them almost like new cheap on e-bay. Shot Velvia for the deep colors and Kodak Ektar and Portra for DR.

Ektar and Portra

-- hide signature --
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: Now and then
In reply to PerL, Sep 17, 2013

Still shoot 4x5, Kodak Tri-x, and still have a wet darkroom to work in. A professional studio just down the street from me for the past year has been making actual Tintype or ferrotype prints on actual metal sheets so I don't know if you qualify that as "film" or not.

I do still have my FM2 and my C330, but I like the relaxation and the large resolution negatives of 4x5 to go back to much shooting in either 35m or 120.

Don't get me wrong, you can have my D700 when you pry it out of my cold, dead, fingers.    But I do find that fact that since digital is everywhere anymore, film, not just 35mm, but in all formats, is carving out a niche or specialty market in certain areas.   Just like there is a specialty market now for vinyl albums over CDs, (look how many USB turntables there are out there now), at some point a technology goes from being "old and outdated" to "where it's really at now" if you follow my drift.

mdiphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?

I do and I like it very much.

And to be not off-topic: I use my D600 and a film duplicator together with the Nikon 50 1.8D to "scan" my negatives (so you see the exif of the D600 in my pictures)
I also have a darkroom for prints.....

Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,679Gear list
Like?
Where I might still need it

I've not shot with film in several years but I'm looking at all the Fuji Provia in my freezer and the F100 on my desk and thinking I need to do something with it.

The thing is, though, digital is really quite a good replacement for slide, especially the way Nikon have implemented it.  Good shadow detail, generally good rewards for slight underexposure (Kodachrome 64 was especially like this, the Fuji stuff does this too but to a lesser extent), and highlights that have to be watched carefully.

Negative film is a completely different beast.  Expose more for the shadows and the highlights will still generally take care of themselves.  This is what most digital cameras fall flat on their face over -- so it isn't just the fact that black-and-white negative is easier to process that keeps it selling, but properties it has that most digital sensors don't.  Color negative the same deal, but not as easy to process.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads