Like?
New compact from olympus?
Sep 16, 2013
PON307G
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: New compact from olympus?
In reply to ssb33, Sep 16, 2013

Would be nice to see a larger sensor along with new Olympus optics in this size camera.

Larry C.

PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MiroM
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Sep 16, 2013

IMO, many would buy a small camera with FF with an Olympus brand on it, that fits in the pocket (or almost fits ). I for sure would prefer it rather than Sony.

Ah, well maybe the Nikon will beat the Oly to it.

MiroM's gear list:MiroM's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
IS MY DREAM BECOMING TRUE ?!?!?!
In reply to MiroM, Sep 16, 2013

Some folks might know my fantasy winner P&S cam of alll times !!!

An "E-PM" body

A XZ-1/2 lens !

And as a small current touch, wifi control ability would be just fine

well, and some other folks (particular user "opticsengineer!!!!" ) claims "welll yeah, nice fantasy BUT ! in this planet, if you want to attach something as capable as XZ-1 lens on micro4/3 sensor lens must be huge and NO WAY HELL POCKETABLE SO CUT IT OFF !!!

Well I don´t know really. MY dad was physics engineer, who becomes physics teacher at highschool before he get retaired. He would know I guess.... but I really have no idea.

Which also makes me confuese is "lens blades" issue. as; canon  G 15/16 has as sharp lens, which is collapsing type, and still have lens blades to protect.

BUT

we still have to pay somekinda lens cap for our XZ-1/2 ´s ... its also interesting.

So " never say never " .... noone !!! ITS FORBIIDEN ON THIS FORUM !

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
I am not asking much...
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 17, 2013

If they can fit the 1/1.7" sensor and the Zuiko F/1.8-2.5 lens into XZ-10's body, it is a winner in my book.

Enthusiast compact should be pocketable.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,760
Like?
In reply to ssb33, Sep 19, 2013

Perhaps Olympus incarnation of the Sony RX100?

I hope they give it better optics and a top notch EVF. With Olympus superior JPEG engine, it would make a most desirable high end compact.

-- hide signature --

Maple

calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to ssb33, Sep 20, 2013

My ideal compact

24 to 150mm zoom quality of the xz2 f1.8 to f2.8 will do

M4trds sensor

1/4000 speed

Live bulb mode

Nd filter variable to 6 stops.

Iso 100

Evf quality of omd em5 will do.

Tilting lcd

All features found on xz2

Wifi control of shooting

Price usd700

But it wont happen, such a compact will take away many buyers from interchangeable lens m4trds.

Then again, such a camera might just compensate by also taking buyers away from other manufacturers and start a win - win trend.

Dreaming mode OFF.

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,335Gear list
Like?
Folks - now think realistically here....

To begin with, 4/3 rumors got some more info - supposedly more accurate - which foretells a release similar to the XZ-2 (same sensor size), but with an equivalent 28-300 MM lens.

But they also received info that indicates that Olympus is also working on a larger sensor-sized fixed lens camera - but that wouldn't be announced/released until 2014.

Now if the 28-300 equivalent lens camera would have improvements to both the AF and high ISO capabilities, then yes, that camera would be superb.

But now think about this.  For those of us who have been posting on these forums for a decade or more, when has Olympus ever managed to release something with enough features that most of us have wanted?  Countless speculation have taken place over the years about various pending cameras, supposedly having this or that feature (or capabilities) - only to have Olympus release equipment that wound being something different from our expectations.  So you have to think realistically here as they will never be able to satisfy us all - that's for sure.  And sometimes (at least with past releases), Olympus would have you pulling your hair out, while screaming, "what were they thinking," or..."aren't Olympus listening to our pleas and requests?"

All we can do really is to just wait and see what they'll do.  It can get frustrating to say the least.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +31 more
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,136Gear list
Like?
Patent for 28-112mm f/1.4-1.8

This is likely the lens we will see in the XZ3

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-01-08

You'll also notice a 4.4-67mm f2.4-f4.2 lens patent.  This would correspond to a 24-370mm lens using a 1/2.3" sensor.  So the long zoom would not use a 1/1.7" but would compete with the FZ200.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
Shut up and take my money!
In reply to SHood, Sep 20, 2013

Jokes aside, this is going to be ground breaking for a compact camera. I hope it is still pocketable. I think 1/1.7" sensor is ideal for high-end compacts.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
Re: Patent for 28-112mm f/1.4-1.8
In reply to SHood, Sep 20, 2013

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-01-08

You'll also notice a 4.4-67mm f2.4-f4.2 lens patent.  This would correspond to a 24-370mm lens using a 1/2.3" sensor.  So the long zoom would not use a 1/1.7" but would compete with the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

28mm??? This wide end should get wider too. Aa panaaonic did, streched it till 20mm on its superzoom. 28mm is ok but not enought... should at least be 24mm thats! it!

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,838
Like?
Re: Patent for 28-112mm f/1.4-1.8
In reply to Ben O Connor, Oct 1, 2013

24mm is obviously tricky to maintain quality over a long focal length range with a 1/1.7" as the Samsung EX2 and the Panasonic LX7 have pretty short zooms and they probably would have liked longer if they could have done. The longer 1/1.7"zooms all start at 28mm so if you want wide you have to lose the zoom or use a 1/2.3".

Ben O Connor wrote:

You'll also notice a 4.4-67mm f2.4-f4.2 lens patent. This would correspond to a 24-370mm lens using a 1/2.3" sensor. So the long zoom would not use a 1/1.7" but would compete with the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

28mm??? This wide end should get wider too. Aa panaaonic did, streched it till 20mm on its superzoom. 28mm is ok but not enought... should at least be 24mm thats! it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads