Canon 7D or 70D for birds in flight

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
tomtek1221
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Canon 7D or 70D for birds in flight
10 months ago

I would like some opinions. Which camera body for action photography such as birds in flight. The video on the 70D is nice to have but  not as important as the best body for birds in flight. Thank you.

Anderton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
Re: Canon 7D or 70D for birds in flight
In reply to tomtek1221, 10 months ago

tomtek1221 wrote:

I would like some opinions. Which camera body for action photography such as birds in flight. The video on the 70D is nice to have but not as important as the best body for birds in flight. Thank you.

7D for the speed, outdoor build quality and weight balance with heavier lenses.

70D for the almost as fast speed, wifi (for not in flight or shots where you know the birds will be nesting but do not want to be sitting next to your camera) and lighter weight when travelling.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?

A comparison.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Limburger
Like?
In reply to Anderton, 10 months ago

Anderton wrote:

tomtek1221 wrote:

I would like some opinions. Which camera body for action photography such as birds in flight. The video on the 70D is nice to have but not as important as the best body for birds in flight. Thank you.

7D for the speed, outdoor build quality and weight balance with heavier lenses.

As it has a deeper buffer,100% VF, dual function top lcd buttons and joystick and don't forget more AF modes.

Go handle both in a store nearby,I haven't used a 70D but I did use a 60D which ergonomicly is similar (xept the ts).

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Fujifilm FinePix X100
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,671
Like?
re: the 28mm lens on 7d vs. 70d not very informative...
In reply to Limburger, 10 months ago

Limburger wrote:

A comparison.

...thanks for the link, however... it doesn't tell us much in terms of AF'ing speed and accuracy differences btw. these two bodies when shot at such distance like shown with the 28mm lens = not exactly a birder's choice !!

jpr2

Limburger
Like?
Re: re: the 28mm lens on 7d vs. 70d not very informative...
In reply to jpr2, 10 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

Limburger wrote:

A comparison.

...thanks for the link, however... it doesn't tell us much in terms of AF'ing speed and accuracy differences btw. these two bodies when shot at such distance like shown with the 28mm lens = not exactly a birder's choice !!

jpr2

Did you find anything better in terms of comparing both cams?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Fujifilm FinePix X100
klphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
Review comparing the 7D, 70D and 5D mk3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqc5jwR0uuw

I found this review by Tony Northrup to be pretty useful. I do not have nor have I used the 7d but I recently purchased the 70D for the tilt and touch screen and because, birds in flight is only one of my interests.  I found it to be an excellent camera.

Good Luck

Kevin

jpr2
Like?
Mike: better comparison?
In reply to Limburger, 10 months ago

Limburger wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Limburger wrote:

A comparison.

jpr2

Did you find anything better in terms of comparing both cams?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

not yet - this is why I'm searching on DPR - usually it takes quite a while for users to form anything resembling a consensus (sometimes it might mean "never" = like constant fracas on whether 60d can focus as speedily and accurately as 7d, which we witnessed on DPR so many times in the past);

what I did learn so far abt. 70d:

• no spot AF focusing mode (the size of the center FP still unknown);
  • only one C "user settable" on a dial instead of C1, C2 & C3;
  • perhaps more accurate in CDAF mode, but the actual speed (esp. in comparison to the AI Servo on 7d in the Spot AF) info scarce = needs to be reconfirmed;
  • not too good in AF at f/8 and smaller effective apertures;

a link to EN user manual PDF would be very useful, so far I wasn't able to download any

jpr2

nexlover88
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Re: Mike: better comparison?
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,317Gear list
Like?

What we need is another Lensrentals AF consistency test.  Canon has been making large strides in the AF department as of late.  For instance my T4i increased my BIF keeper rate (over my 50D) by more than 50 %.  And when the Lensrentals tests came out this year the scores mirrored my own in the field findings exactly.

I haven't had the chance to go BIFing yet with my 70D, but AF in all other instances has been excellent.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
jpr2
Like?
r2d2: could not agree more :)
In reply to R2D2, 10 months ago

R2D2 wrote:

What we need is another Lensrentals AF consistency test. Canon has been making large strides in the AF department as of late. For instance my T4i increased my BIF keeper rate (over my 50D) by more than 50 %. And when the Lensrentals tests came out this year the scores mirrored my own in the field findings exactly.

I haven't had the chance to go BIFing yet with my 70D, but AF in all other instances has been excellent.

R2

I find it really pretty strange that, esp. after so many years into the digital era, no major review DSLR site developed a standardized way of testing the AF speed and accuracy on moving targets in a highly reproducible manner!! Even the Imaging Resource data - pretty often quoted here and elsewhere - report only shutter lags in AF situations dealing with stationary targets, and what is more... with the lenses already prefocused on target

jpr2

Mistur
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Re: Review comparing the 7D, 70D and 5D mk3
In reply to klphotos, 10 months ago

klphotos wrote:

I found this review by Tony Northrup to be pretty useful. I do not have nor have I used the 7d but I recently purchased the 70D for the tilt and touch screen and because, birds in flight is only one of my interests. I found it to be an excellent camera.

Good Luck

Kevin

I was just about to link that video by Tony. Wildlife photography with the 70D and real world results/comments.

Mistur's gear list:Mistur's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mistur, 10 months ago

Ask the birds which cam they prefer to get shot with.  They don't lie. 

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, 10 months ago

Neither of those cameras are good for BIF. Get a used mark IV. It will run circles around both.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
jpr2
Like?
re: Review comparing the 7D, 70D and 5D mk3
In reply to klphotos, 10 months ago

klphotos wrote:

I found this review by Tony Northrup to be pretty useful. I do not have nor have I used the 7d but I recently purchased the 70D for the tilt and touch screen and because, birds in flight is only one of my interests. I found it to be an excellent camera.

Good Luck

Kevin

hm?? although Tony talks really a lot, he doesn't tell us much about the details of the AF direct comparisons btw. 7d vs.70d - the relevant fragment is located at about 9:10 till 11:30, but even the question of how big is actually the center's FP focusing area wasn't clarified

jpr2

jpr2
Like?
re: how about tracking sensitivity of 70d vs. 7d?
In reply to Anderton, 10 months ago
  • how much tracking adjustment sensitivity can be done on 70d vs. 7d?
  • also... HOW are expansion modes implemented = should be the same, as the AF sensor of the 70d is supposedly the same as of the 7d, but... what is the reality??

jpr2

Ahender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?
In reply to garyknrd, 10 months ago

garyknrd wrote:

Neither of those cameras are good for BIF. Get a used mark IV. It will run circles around both.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

Maybe you should ask all the photographers at NetScapes how they manage to get fantastic BIF images with a 7D.  Why not recommend a 1DX?  Heck, it's not your money he is spending.

theoschela
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 9 months ago

what would you think accounts for a 50% better keeper rate of the T4i over a 50D?

I ask because its the same AF system and the T4i has a smaller View Finder

theoschela's gear list:theoschela's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,938Gear list
Like?
Re: re: how about tracking sensitivity of 70d vs. 7d?
In reply to jpr2, 9 months ago
  • how much tracking adjustment sensitivity can be done on 70d vs. 7d?
  • also... HOW are expansion modes implemented = should be the same, as the AF sensor of the 70d is supposedly the same as of the 7d, but... what is the reality??

jpr2

AFAIK there is no expansion mode on the 70D. That's one of the two 7D modes it lacks, the other being spot focus. A shame, as expansion is the mode I find most useful on the 7D.
--
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
theoschela
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: re: Review comparing the 7D, 70D and 5D mk3
In reply to jpr2, 9 months ago

and even when the dpreview of the 70D comes out - its not typical of them to get into BIF testing at all... although maybe sports. Hopefully the reviews have been paying attention to such questions...

theoschela's gear list:theoschela's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads