Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions
cosmerodrigues
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Re: Where do I begin?
In reply to reginalddwight, Sep 16, 2013

Please, do not crucify the OP.
Like many of you, I did not understand the last KR's statements about Nikon. A few months ago there was nothing better in the Universe than the D800/D600 and D7100!
Maybe he has a problem of psychiatric nature ... I wish him a good recovery, today's psychiatric clinics and new drugs do real miracles!
Still, it may be that Santa brings me a (refurbished or new) D600 or, (big miracle!), a D610 with 51 AF points!

-- hide signature --

Sorry for the bad English.
Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
Compact: Nikon P300
DSLR: Nikon D90 + Nikon D50
+ Other stuff

cosmerodrigues's gear list:cosmerodrigues's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon D50 Nikon D90 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rbrt
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"
In reply to cosmerodrigues, Sep 16, 2013

The D600 is not in the same price class as the 5DIII and should not be compared to one.

Rbrt's gear list:Rbrt's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
iau
iau
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"

cosmerodrigues wrote:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

In the future I really would like to invest my hard earned money in a D600 with 51AF points and no oil or dust on the sensor...should I?

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

I'd say that not being endorsed by KR is a good thing for Nikon.

When I first stumbled upon his website I almost got scared away. He sounded so agressive and everything was black and white. Now I only visit his homepage to check out what comic stuff he's written lately. Not that it is funny, but still quite entertaining.

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,625Gear list
Like?

cosmerodrigues wrote:

In the future I really would like to invest my hard earned money in a D600 with 51AF points and no oil or dust on the sensor...should I?

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

As with anyone, learn to be critical of what they say. For instance, he raves about the ergonomics of the 6D - whatever ergonomics are to him. I personally hate the ergonomics of every Canon I've ever picked up including the 6D. Nikons have always felt natural to me which is one reason I own them.

Point being, take these statements as opinions. Learn what is fact and opinion and sift accordingly. When he says a lens is sharp edge to edge at f8, he's probably right. When he starts getting all hyperbolic and not backing up his statements, it's opinion. Take it as such.

And for gosh sakes, do your own research and look at test images. When I was finally ready to buy my first DSLR, it was between the D600 and the 6D. I felt the D600 had better image quality and I was more impressed with the specific lenses I wanted. If a magic fairy came into my room and replaced my D600 with equivalent 6D and lenses, I guess I would have some fun learning the Canon.

The problem is, I'm never satisfied with my work. I've made fine images from an Olympus 8Mp C8080. The D600 didn't improve my artistic eye. It only improved the image quality of what I shoot.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,246Gear list
Like?

When Canon comes out with a 14-24 or any camera that can do shadows without banding or resolve 36MP, then perhaps it will be time to take a look at their stuff again.  I'm not holding my breath.

roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?

Maybe he meant ahead in sales. There are 5 FF Canon combos ahead of the first FF Nikon on Amazon USA's list.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-Digital-SLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941/ref=zg_bs_nav_p_1_p#2

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?

I used to accept his recommendations, but the more I read about his opinions now the more I see that he is just making a lot of noise to get attention.   Ken Rockwell could just as well write for The Onion, entertaining, but also showing his ignorance.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: 6D?
In reply to PerL, Sep 16, 2013

PerL wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

joneil wrote:

For what it is worth, the Canon 6D, when you actually hold and use the thing, and see the price, it makes me think "this is what the upgrade to the D700 should of been".

6D? Maybe the 5D3? That would make sense.

My thoughts too

Yes, quite correct - my bad.  Get these model numbers all confused all the time.   What I do remember was hold and trying one of these new Canons out and thinking - wow, nice camera.

steven2874
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Rockwell is a shrewd and amusing Con Artist
In reply to wasserball, Sep 16, 2013

I actually enjoy reading his outrageous comments. He never shoots raw, boosts saturation and colors to way beyond "vivid" and thinks 6 mp "small basic" is all you really need. At one point or another he's touted virtually every new Nikon, Canon and the Fujifilm X100, XE-1 and X100s as the "Worlds Best". His site is a great reference for legacy glass and the information is very useful. His personal opinions are another matter...

steven2874's gear list:steven2874's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D4s
ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
He shoots jpeg. That is all we have to know.n/t

no text

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
nerd2
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

He is making TONS of money from naive visitors. Is he still posing 'REVIEWS' of products he haven't even seen in person?

Canadianguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?
In reply to nerd2, Sep 16, 2013

He is writing for google key words - look how he has hit on 4 popular camera models with his 1 post.

Its all about the google ranking.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,246Gear list
Like?
Re: Rockwell is a shrewd and amusing Con Artist
In reply to steven2874, Sep 16, 2013

Yes. Shrewd and amusing, half bright libertarian :^)

Soggoth
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?

Ken Rockwell is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone. He had some OK reviews of the older film gear and lenses, but what he has now is just a childish fanboy-ish crap like "THIS is a way better then THAT, so buy THIS!".

Soggoth's gear list:Soggoth's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
cosmerodrigues
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?

Acording to NR, there is some informations that the D600 is going out of circulation, maybe a sign of the coming D610/D600s

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/09/16/nikon-usa-removed-d600-and-d5100-from-their-map-list.aspx/

Well, it seems that in some days/weeks Ken Rockwell will make one of his "reviews" about the D610/D600s and put Nikon sky-high again and write that people should put Canons in the trash....

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

cosmerodrigues's gear list:cosmerodrigues's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon D50 Nikon D90 +10 more
Lil g
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to wasserball, Sep 16, 2013

wasserball wrote:

I used to accept his recommendations, but the more I read about his opinions now the more I see that he is just making a lot of noise to get attention. Ken Rockwell could just as well write for The Onion, entertaining, but also showing his ignorance.

Ken Rockwell is mostly opinion while the Onion is fact and has been around for over 150 years. The Onion is not hiring writers right now.

Peace

Greg

Lil g's gear list:Lil g's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D810
ovibor
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

Kenrockwell.com is a good informative site, Ryan and Katie are adorable, but Ken's likes aren't best for me. I dislike his photos supersaturated and his picture control settings. Also, I am reticent at his advice to buy a camera or another. Ken represents Adorama and Amazon sales interests.

ovibor's gear list:ovibor's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
I a n
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?

If you want information from someone who is a little (OK a lot more) intellectually and logically consistent I recommend Thom Hogan's web site http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/  Information and reviews take a little longer to appear on Thom's web site because he actually likes to use the gear he writes about for a good long time before sharing its strengths and weaknesses.

I a n's gear list:I a n's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
In reply to I a n, Sep 16, 2013

I a n wrote:

If you want information from someone who is a little (OK a lot more) intellectually and logically consistent I recommend Thom Hogan's web site http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/ Information and reviews take a little longer to appear on Thom's web site because he actually likes to use the gear he writes about for a good long time before sharing its strengths and weaknesses.

I don't even read KR, his tabloidy googley-eyed tone of writing is off-putting.  On the other hand I read TH regularly, he has a lot of thoughts and opinions.  His textual output is tremendous.  He has a good big perspective of things.  The only thing that kind of bothers me about TH is his nearly constant negativity toward Nikons.  Yes he has a lot of good points and you wish Nikon would listen to him but if you use Nikon it sort of dawns on you after reading all his negative opinions, the gear is really not so bad as he portrays it!

David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?

cosmerodrigues wrote:

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

Good Lord, Mr Rockwell has made some outrageous statements, and someone has started a thread on dpreview announcing the fact, and linking to his web site. Well, I bet he is mortified, being so modest and reserved. No doubt this has taken him by surprise. All that extra web traffic. The poor chap. I guess life brings its little tribulations but I am sure he will pull through.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads