Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions
cosmerodrigues
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"
Sep 16, 2013

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

In the future I really would like to invest my hard earned money in a D600 with 51AF points and no oil or dust on the sensor...should I?

-- hide signature --

Sorry for the bad English.
Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
Compact: Nikon P300
DSLR: Nikon D90 + Nikon D50
+ Other stuff

cosmerodrigues's gear list:cosmerodrigues's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon D50 Nikon D90 +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
LOL
In reply to cosmerodrigues, Sep 16, 2013

cosmerodrigues wrote:

In the future I really would like to invest my hard earned money in a D600 with 51AF points and no oil or dust on the sensor...should I?

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

Someone has sent him a cheque in the post then... 

he's a useful (if not always accurate) resource for information older gear. His statements on new equipment can be read with a pinch (or possibly a warehouse full) of salt...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: "If you want a D600, just get one"

cosmerodrigues wrote:

Well Ken Rockwell also says:

"Worry-warts who don't even have a D600 keep asking me about dust in my D600. Nope, not seen it, and if I did, I'd send it back under warranty — so who cares? Nikon fixed the charger and checked my D800 all under warranty, so if there's a problem, no problem. If you want a D600, just get one."

So, there you have it from the great man himself: If you want a D600, - just get one.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
Re: LOL
In reply to sgoldswo, Sep 16, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

cosmerodrigues wrote:

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

Someone has sent him a cheque in the post then...

he's a useful (if not always accurate) resource for information older gear. His statements on new equipment can be read with a pinch (or possibly a warehouse full) of salt...

The problem is not KR, the problem is the people reading websites. People want to take sites like KR, DP etc as gospel and get terribly upset when it doesn't match their conviction. People should realize that websites just put out opinions of the people writing the piece. Some of these opinions may hold better value to you than others, but they remain opinions and they are no more valuable or accurate than your own. Like they say, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. Some just fart a bit louder than others.

People should learn to appreciate and trust their own opinions a little more instead of seeking justification in those of others.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,005
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"

He shouldn't be taken seriously:

"If you're moving to full-frame, Nikon lost it years ago"

Well Nikon only started making full frame digital cameras a few years ago with the D3 and then the D700.

At the time I went from using Canon 5Ds to D700s. The D700s were a substantial step ahead in every way and better in most ways than the the 5D's successor, the 5D2.

In other words he deliberately talks utter tosh to get hits.

kiirokurisu
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell again: "Canon 5DIII/6D are better/far ahead of Nikon D600/D800"
In reply to John Motts, Sep 16, 2013

I wonder, do people realise every time they post links to his site or mention his name, this elevates his Page rank on Google? Not a good thing.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Where do I begin?

cosmerodrigues wrote:

Not sure what I should comment on...

1) That you take everything KR says seriously

2) That you invest hard earned money in digital technology that depreciates shortly after purchase

3) That you believe the D600 has 51 AF points

4) That you think a DSLR will ever be free of oil or dust on the sensor

5) That you will do as I say

CFynn
Like?
Ken Rockwell understands his audience

Ken Rockwell understands his audience.  For the sort of person who relies on the inforrmation on his site, a Canon 6D may be well a more suitable and safer choice than a D600.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
TheoC
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell understands his audience
In reply to CFynn, Sep 16, 2013

I have ff bodies from both systems. Actually my first full framer was the d700 which I bought in the first week of August 2008. Fantastic camera, sold it two years later, then bought it again used. I also have the 5d mark 2. Canon ff bodies have one very important advantage over Nikon. One can use Nikkors on the Canon but not the other way around. The Nikon to Canon G adapter works wonders. Forgot to say, recently I exchanged some glass and two bodies for the d600. The asking price was low because of the bad press - oli and dust. I have been looking for them on the sensor, it seems spotless. Should I worry?

Theo

CFynn
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell understands his audience
In reply to TheoC, Sep 16, 2013

TheoC wrote:

Forgot to say, recently I exchanged some glass and two bodies for the d600. The asking price was low because of the bad press - oli and dust. I have been looking for them on the sensor, it seems spotless. Should I worry?

Theo

No - don't worry.  Plenty of people say they have a D600 which gets no more dust on the sensor than any other DSLR. Sounds like yours is the same.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?

Well, Ken has sure managed to twist your panties in a knot.

You realize that his style of writing is simply the antagonistic journalism?

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,701
Like?
He woke up on the wrong side?

cosmerodrigues wrote:

-- hide signature --

Greetings from Portugal,
Current equipment:
+ Other stuff

I was really surprised when I read that outburst. What about the rant on the lenses - is it a bad thing that you can use DX lenses on Nikon FF? I could understand an argument that he likes Canon colors better, after all, that is individual preference, but exactly what are his arguments why he finds Canon bodies far superior? When he talks about the pro sports and PJ bodies - what does he shot that makes him a qualified expert?

Maybe he feel he has milked the Nikon audience long enough, gets fewer hits on his side and wants to try the Canon audience.

I dont put down the Canon FFs, they - just like the Nikon FFs - are superb cameras. Pretending there is a huge difference is just silly IMO.

-- hide signature --
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?
In reply to user_name, Sep 16, 2013

i fail to see what is journalistic at all about these KR posts. it's JAA spouting off in a public forum to an audience he has assiduously cultivated since seeing the potential in photo-centric websites since the late 1990s. his biggest credential is that he's been working it for a long time, and if you want to give him kudos it ought to be mostly for going for it as early as he did. in his current incarnation, however, he simply excretes mildly controversial click-bait to roust the partisans out of their slumbers. hey, it's a living!

ovibor
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

Ken Rockwel is a trafficker... Now, he is irately and angry with Nikon. Tomorow he will criticize Canon and will hymn Nikon, according his interests . "Help him, help you! Make his a donnation!"

ovibor's gear list:ovibor's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to ovibor, Sep 16, 2013

As others have pointed out, his archive of reviews of older lenses is wonderful, but I don't know what is wrong with the man,  but the past few years, everything he writes seems to be along the lines of "this is the absolute best, you've got to get it now!!!"    He almost sounds more like a shrill for camera companies than an independent reviewer.  His more recent posts, IMO, make it very hard to take him seriously anymore.  Why even get worked up about it?

His latest post about Canon vs Nikon comments made me laugh out loud.  he talks about how you will have to buy all new lenses when you move to FX form DX anyhow, so just go Canon.  Um, did he forget a lot of us who use Nikon DX bodies have a lot of older FX lenses to begin with?   Maybe he thinks we are all independently wealthy and can afford a set of new lenses at a drop of a hat?

Back to this fanboy crap of Canon vs Nikon, something that has been raging in photography ever since I got started thirty years ago, I know pros who make a living  - that is - pay the rent and put food on the table - that use either system.  If you are going pro or going serious in any way about photography, in the past thirty years, if you chose or choose  either Nikon or Canon, film and/or digital, you've been okay, both are fine systems, and I suspect in the future either one will serve you very well.

At this specific moment in time, I think the real issue, IMO, with FX cameras is Nikon does not have a real replacement for the D700.   The D800 is a specialty camera, the D600 is for serious amatuers, but the build quality is not suitable for rough professional work.   The D700 was for many pros either an alternative or a backup to the D3.  Nikon likely knows or knew this, so in an effort to get greedy and force all working pros into the D4, they did not bring a direct upgrade to the D700.   For example, the D7000 is an excellent camera, and the D7100 is a fine upgrade to it.  A few new tweaks and upgrades, but basically the same  camera.   But you did not see the same thing with the D700.

The other issue, and maybe it is just me, it almost seems with the D4, Nikon is more and more interested in making a video camera than a still camera.   A DSLR that does video is fine with me, but when I buy a DSLR, I want a still camera first and foremost.   If I want to shoot video, I will buy  a dedicated video camera.  Again, correct me if I am wrong, but that si how I see things.

For what it is worth, the Canon 6D, when you actually hold and use the thing, and see the price, it makes me think "this is what the upgrade to the D700 should of been".

have a good one

ckturpin
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to joneil, Sep 16, 2013

joneil wrote:

As others have pointed out, his archive of reviews of older lenses is wonderful, but I don't know what is wrong with the man,  but the past few years, everything he writes seems to be along the lines of "this is the absolute best, you've got to get it now!!!"    He almost sounds more like a shrill for camera companies than an independent reviewer.  His more recent posts, IMO, make it very hard to take him seriously anymore.  Why even get worked up about it?

His latest post about Canon vs Nikon comments made me laugh out loud.  he talks about how you will have to buy all new lenses when you move to FX form DX anyhow, so just go Canon.  Um, did he forget a lot of us who use Nikon DX bodies have a lot of older FX lenses to begin with?   Maybe he thinks we are all independently wealthy and can afford a set of new lenses at a drop of a hat?

Back to this fanboy crap of Canon vs Nikon, something that has been raging in photography ever since I got started thirty years ago, I know pros who make a living  - that is - pay the rent and put food on the table - that use either system.  If you are going pro or going serious in any way about photography, in the past thirty years, if you chose or choose  either Nikon or Canon, film and/or digital, you've been okay, both are fine systems, and I suspect in the future either one will serve you very well.

At this specific moment in time, I think the real issue, IMO, with FX cameras is Nikon does not have a real replacement for the D700.   The D800 is a specialty camera, the D600 is for serious amatuers, but the build quality is not suitable for rough professional work.   The D700 was for many pros either an alternative or a backup to the D3.  Nikon likely knows or knew this, so in an effort to get greedy and force all working pros into the D4, they did not bring a direct upgrade to the D700.   For example, the D7000 is an excellent camera, and the D7100 is a fine upgrade to it.  A few new tweaks and upgrades, but basically the same  camera.   But you did not see the same thing with the D700.

The other issue, and maybe it is just me, it almost seems with the D4, Nikon is more and more interested in making a video camera than a still camera.   A DSLR that does video is fine with me, but when I buy a DSLR, I want a still camera first and foremost.   If I want to shoot video, I will buy  a dedicated video camera.  Again, correct me if I am wrong, but that si how I see things.

For what it is worth, the Canon 6D, when you actually hold and use the thing, and see the price, it makes me think "this is what the upgrade to the D700 should of been".

have a good one

ckturpin
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

My epistle yesterday is that I just don't get how some people will sit around and whine about Nikon doing something wrong, as if there is no other way around the problem…If you think the D600 isn't any good, don't whine about it; vote with your dollars and upgrade to the 6D instead.

If you review the responses to the D600 is people that complain about the dust and other problems. So, Mr. Rockwell is correct that people should stop “whining” and move to another camera.

joneil wrote:

have a good one

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,472Gear list
Like?
6D?

joneil wrote:

6D? Maybe the 5D3? That would make sense.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,614Gear list
Like?
Re: He woke up on the wrong side?
In reply to PerL, Sep 16, 2013

PerL wrote:

I was really surprised when I read that outburst. What about the rant on the lenses - is it a bad thing that you can use DX lenses on Nikon FF? I could understand an argument that he likes Canon colors better, after all, that is individual preference,

I stopped listening to his advice when he said, in the same article, to not shoot raw and also to not shoot best quality jpegs, those are a wasted effort. Then suggested to always use the "vivid" setting for picture control. I have -rarely- seen where that setting looked even somewhat acceptable. Maybe is good advice for a P&S user upgrading to a DSLR to shoot at disney world but not someone to be taken seriously if you have any clue about photography.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,701
Like?
Re: 6D?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Sep 16, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

joneil wrote:

6D? Maybe the 5D3? That would make sense.

My thoughts too

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads