HD CLONE question

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Timzee
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
HD CLONE question
11 months ago

I have a notebook with a 320GB HD which has 2 partitions. An OS partition "C" and the main data partition "D". I suspect the HD is getting a bit flakey and would like to clone it to a new 500GB drive. Going to try the Macrium software as I've read a number of favorable comments about it for cloning a HD.

Does the program see both C & D partitions so I end up with all the data on the original 320GB drive on the  new 500GB drive with both partitions in place?

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,502
Like?
Re: HD CLONE question
In reply to Timzee, 11 months ago

Timzee wrote:

I have a notebook with a 320GB HD which has 2 partitions. An OS partition "C" and the main data partition "D". I suspect the HD is getting a bit flakey and would like to clone it to a new 500GB drive. Going to try the Macrium software as I've read a number of favorable comments about it for cloning a HD.

Does the program see both C & D partitions so I end up with all the data on the original 320GB drive on the new 500GB drive with both partitions in place?

Yes. Macrium will allow you to clone the whole drive (including Master Boot Record, C and D).

You also have the option of imaging individual partitions, but cloning the whole drive is what you need at this point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dwalby
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,016
Like?
In reply to malch, 11 months ago

malch wrote:

Timzee wrote:

Does the program see both C & D partitions so I end up with all the data on the original 320GB drive on the new 500GB drive with both partitions in place?

Yes. Macrium will allow you to clone the whole drive (including Master Boot Record, C and D).

You also have the option of imaging individual partitions, but cloning the whole drive is what you need at this point.

If you don't have a third drive around to store the partition images on, then cloning is probably your best option. But, since I assume your notebook only has one drive bay, you'll need some way to have both disks connected to the notebook to do the cloning.

If you have a third (USB) drive, then imaging each partition separately might be faster, depending on how much of the 320GB drive is used. Imaging only copies the sectors that are used, cloning copies every byte one at a time whether its used or empty, so the amount of data transferred during an image restoration is generally less than a clone, and could be a lot less. Restoring partitions also allows you to resize the partition upon restoration, so if you want to enlarge either or both partitions on the new, bigger drive it will allow you to do that too when you restore to the bigger drive. With cloning you'll get an exact copy of the 320GB drive and have to repartition the other 180GB after doing the clone.

Not sure how familiar you are with the imaging process, but there are some subtle things to watch out for when imaging your OS to a new drive. Store the partition images on the third (USB) drive and create a boot disk for Macrium. Then replace the old drive with the new one in the notebook drive bay and boot into the disk environment and restore the partitions to the new drive from the USB drive while running the Macrium boot disk. Don't try to restore the partitions to the new disk with the old disk still in the system running the OS, you can get drive letter assignment issues that cause boot problems after you swap the new disk into the laptop. I believe cloning also avoids the drive letter confusion issue, but I've never cloned a new drive, I've only restored images onto a new drive.

When restoring images you'll also have to restore the MBR, which should be something Macrium saves when you image the original partitions.  Then you can create and resize the partitions during the restoration process.  With a clone operation the MBR and partition tables will be copied from disk A to disk B directly, so no additional steps are required for that.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,502
Like?

I had very good luck cloning a new laptop HD onto a SSD using this Apricon setup. You plug it into the USB port and the new hard drive and just follow the on-screen directions. I'm pretty sure it will clone the partitions, too, but my computer wasn't partitioned. It cloned my full Win 7 64-bit OS, full-on Photoshop, PhotoMechanic and the "hidden" stuff from my original hard drive. There may be better out there, but it worked fine for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO3PRCeAAgM&feature=youtube_gdata

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB-25/dp/B002EUCU3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379341893&sr=8-1&keywords=cloning+software

Timzee
Like?

Great-- thanks for the input. I expected it work that way but never hurts to get some more input before going down that road.

Tim

malch wrote:

Timzee wrote:

Timzee
Like?
In reply to dwalby, 11 months ago

Thisi notebook only has the one HD (main notebook has three HDs) so I have the new HD connected via a USB dock. I plan to clone the drive then take out the original and replace it with the new cloned drive.

Actually I did this some time ago when we got this notebook. It was purchased with a relatively small HD, then after all the main programs were installed and everything updated, I cloned it to a much larger drive. Good to always have the original to go back to if needed.

I do remember in an earlier cloning session Adobe's registration system threw a fit of some kind and I had to call them. Apparently they have hooks into some pretty low level PC innards to keep an eye on you.  

dwalby wrote:

malch wrote:

Timzee wrote:

If you don't have a third drive around to store the partition images on, then cloning is probably your best option. But, since I assume your notebook only has one drive bay, you'll need some way to have both disks connected to the notebook to do the cloning.

If you have a third (USB) drive, then imaging each partition separately might be faster, depending on how much of the 320GB drive is used. Imaging only copies the sectors that are used, cloning copies every byte one at a time whether its used or empty, so the amount of data transferred during an image restoration is generally less than a clone, and could be a lot less. Restoring partitions also allows you to resize the partition upon restoration, so if you want to enlarge either or both partitions on the new, bigger drive it will allow you to do that too when you restore to the bigger drive. With cloning you'll get an exact copy of the 320GB drive and have to repartition the other 180GB after doing the clone.

Not sure how familiar you are with the imaging process, but there are some subtle things to watch out for when imaging your OS to a new drive. Store the partition images on the third (USB) drive and create a boot disk for Macrium. Then replace the old drive with the new one in the notebook drive bay and boot into the disk environment and restore the partitions to the new drive from the USB drive while running the Macrium boot disk. Don't try to restore the partitions to the new disk with the old disk still in the system running the OS, you can get drive letter assignment issues that cause boot problems after you swap the new disk into the laptop. I believe cloning also avoids the drive letter confusion issue, but I've never cloned a new drive, I've only restored images onto a new drive.

When restoring images you'll also have to restore the MBR, which should be something Macrium saves when you image the original partitions. Then you can create and resize the partitions during the restoration process. With a clone operation the MBR and partition tables will be copied from disk A to disk B directly, so no additional steps are required for that.

Timzee
Like?

Just to update, Macrium worked just as you mentioned and the clone went smoothly.
Previously I had used Acronis but after multiple frustrations with that program I've purged it from my computer!

malch wrote:

Timzee wrote:

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,502
Like?

Thanks for the input! I'm always on the lookout for better software, though I did have good luck with the Apricorn rig last time.

williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?

Timzee wrote:

i would suggest hardware clone for your case

http://dx.com/p/orico-3529sus3-c-aluminum-alloy-usb-3-0-dual-3-5-sata-hdd-external-enclosure-silver-111054?tc=USD&gclid=CIuVleuE2LkCFS_ZQgodTwEAWg

@W

Timzee
Like?
In reply to williamio, 11 months ago

Hardware clone? That appears to be just an external enclosure. What does it have to do with cloning? Perhaps I'm missing something...

williamio wrote:

Timzee wrote:

http://dx.com/p/orico-3529sus3-c-aluminum-alloy-usb-3-0-dual-3-5-sata-hdd-external-enclosure-silver-111054?tc=USD&gclid=CIuVleuE2LkCFS_ZQgodTwEAWg

@W

williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?

Timzee wrote:

Hardware clone? That appears to be just an external enclosure. What does it have to do with cloning? Perhaps I'm missing something...

williamio wrote:

Timzee wrote:

@W

bit by bit cloning or partition cloning ..... different layers of cloning for different purposes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads