Olympus E-P5 vs Panasonic GX7

Started Sep 15, 2013 | Discussions
sabesh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-P5 vs Panasonic GX7
Sep 15, 2013

I'm curious to know how the GX7 and E-P5 compare with regards to JPG output and high ISO performance.

I'm trying to decide between these 2 bodies. Built-in EVF isn't a factor for me. IQ is.

I checked out pictures from both cameras here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

I prefer the images from the E-P5. The ones from the GX7 appear washed out. Would it be possible to get E-P5 like images from the GX7 by making adjustments as a permanent setup?

ISO 6400 - E-P5 images appear to have more detail. Or, are my eyes deceiving me?

Thx,

-- hide signature --
 sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,746Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-P5 vs Panasonic GX7
In reply to sabesh, Sep 15, 2013

sabesh wrote::-)

I'm curious to know how the GX7 and E-P5 compare with regards to JPG output and high ISO performance.

I'm trying to decide between these 2 bodies. Built-in EVF isn't a factor for me. IQ is.

I prefer the images from the E-P5. The ones from the GX7 appear washed out. Would it be possible to get E-P5 like images from the GX7 by making adjustments as a permanent setup?

ISO 6400 - E-P5 images appear to have more detail. Or, are my eyes deceiving me?

Thx,

-- hide signature --

Those shots are at taken at default JPEG settings if you want a more reliable comparison between cameras look at the RAW files. Silkypix has been updated to support the GX7 though not the most fun software in the world  

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sabesh
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, Sep 15, 2013

jim stirling wrote:

Those shots are at taken at default JPEG settings if you want a more reliable comparison between cameras look at the RAW files. Silkypix has been updated to support the GX7 though not the most fun software in the world

Thx, will check it out! However, I don't plan to shoot RAW. Just JPG.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?

Are we looking at the same images?  I don't see anything washed out about the GX7 shots. They appear to have slightly more exposure than the EP5 shots, but there's still plenty of highlight detail.

If you mean they're slightly less saturated, that's probably true. Olympus tunes it's JPEG engine for unnaturally saturated results, Panasonic for more realistic results. Saturation is adjustable in both cameras, though, so you can turn you Panasonic jpegs into cartoon circus shots if you want, or set your Oly to nearly no color at all.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
SF Photo Gal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Sep 15, 2013

Having given up on professional photography, I had sold my 5DII and 1DsIII, and left with only GH1 and GF1.  Replaced both with used GH2 and GX1, but soon started looking at a GH3 and EM-5.

I decided agains the GH3 because I really don't do a lot of video, other than very personal stuff (which is more a topic for a different website), but I felt the colors on the EM-5 were a bit over saturated for my taste.

So I've been forced to deal with the GX-1 RAW files, which are actually quite good, but a pain in the ass to deal with.

I'm looking foward to getting my hands on a GX7 because it seems to finally deliver what I've always wanted in a m4/3 camera.

SF Photo Gal aka Queer Chick

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +8 more
j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to SF Photo Gal, Sep 15, 2013

SF Photo Gal wrote:

Having given up on professional photography, I had sold my 5DII and 1DsIII, and left with only GH1 and GF1. Replaced both with used GH2 and GX1, but soon started looking at a GH3 and EM-5.

I decided agains the GH3 because I really don't do a lot of video, other than very personal stuff (which is more a topic for a different website), but I felt the colors on the EM-5 were a bit over saturated for my taste.

So I've been forced to deal with the GX-1 RAW files, which are actually quite good, but a pain in the ass to deal with.

I'm looking foward to getting my hands on a GX7 because it seems to finally deliver what I've always wanted in a m4/3 camera.

SF Photo Gal aka Queer Chick

Just wondering why you just didn't dial down the saturation a bit? It seems like then you would have had just what you want. I know you know this is a one time setting once saturation is as you like for each color mode just leave it from then on.

Serious Question not trying to nit pick!

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
pocketpygmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?

jim stirling wrote:

Thx, will check it out! However, I don't plan to shoot RAW. Just JPG.

-- hide signature --

by the sound of it (jpeg only), your choice is easy : olympus all the way. i didn't read anything about a preference for a viewfinder, and just based on your attraction to the EP5's output, i'd say it's really a no-brainer: go for the Pen.

pocketpygmy's gear list:pocketpygmy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,883Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Sep 15, 2013

Bob Meyer wrote:

Are we looking at the same images? I don't see anything washed out about the GX7 shots. They appear to have slightly more exposure than the EP5 shots, but there's still plenty of highlight detail.

If you mean they're slightly less saturated, that's probably true. Olympus tunes it's JPEG engine for unnaturally saturated results, Panasonic for more realistic results. Saturation is adjustable in both cameras, though, so you can turn you Panasonic jpegs into cartoon circus shots if you want, or set your Oly to nearly no color at all.

I second that

I have done extensive comparison using the new studio scene DPR tool. For me the GX7 tones are more natural.

I have ordered the GX7. I hope to recieve it at the end of the week, or the next week.

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Sep 15, 2013

Powerdoc wrote:

I have ordered the GX7. I hope to recieve it at the end of the week, or the next week.

Do you live in Japan?

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
sabesh
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Sep 16, 2013

Powerdoc wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

Are we looking at the same images? I don't see anything washed out about the GX7 shots. They appear to have slightly more exposure than the EP5 shots, but there's still plenty of highlight detail.

I second that

I have done extensive comparison using the new studio scene DPR tool. For me the GX7 tones are more natural.

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

@ ISO 3200, the GX7 appears to fall behind E-M1, E-M5 & E-P5 in ISO noise:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8599640731/panasonic-gx7-first-impressions-review/2

What do you think?

Thx,

-- hide signature --
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299
Like?
In reply to sabesh, Sep 16, 2013

The GX-7 must have a light AA filter because it exhibits moire in the concentric circles just below and to the left of center.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?

sabesh wrote:

Thx,

-- hide signature --

Tough choice, doing the same but I'll add the  M-5. I want to retire my old '06 Fuji and go M43, much lighter.  I've held the M-5 and it's well built, the camera shop I was in didn't have the E-P5 and the GX-7 isn't due in the store till after Sept.

I've read every review I can find on the internet about the GX-7, PL5 and M-5, everyone has their own opinion. In 46 years of photography I've never owned a weatherproof camera and never had a problem. So that is not important to me, a view finder is.

I'll add, I do own the Olympus XZ-1 as a back up, this is a great little camera, I've been impressed with it's photos.

The GX-7 Imaging Resource pictures to me are more natural with the GX-7, my opinion. And you can always tweak them with software. I always shoot using Jpeg and never above 3200.

I like the GX-7 specs better and the menu is easier to use, this based on what I've read. The choice will be yours, and you can return which ever you do buy within 30 days of purchase (most good shop polices) and get something else?

Or just flip a coin?

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
sabesh
Like?
In reply to KTClown, Sep 16, 2013

KTClown wrote:

Tough choice, doing the same but I'll add the M-5. I want to retire my old '06 Fuji and go M43, much lighter. I've held the M-5 and it's well built, the camera shop I was in didn't have the E-P5 and the GX-7 isn't due in the store till after Sept.

I've read every review I can find on the internet about the GX-7, PL5 and M-5, everyone has their own opinion. In 46 years of photography I've never owned a weatherproof camera and never had a problem. So that is not important to me, a view finder is.

I'll add, I do own the Olympus XZ-1 as a back up, this is a great little camera, I've been impressed with it's photos.

The GX-7 Imaging Resource pictures to me are more natural with the GX-7, my opinion. And you can always tweak them with software. I always shoot using Jpeg and never above 3200.

I like the GX-7 specs better and the menu is easier to use, this based on what I've read. The choice will be yours, and you can return which ever you do buy within 30 days of purchase (most good shop polices) and get something else?

Or just flip a coin?

Thx, good points, all. I've been reading quite a bit and am confident that I can adjust saturation & contrast on the GX7 to obtain E-P5 like images. I'm looking into Dynamic range now. Tech radar's review isn't very flattering with regards to the GX7's DR. I'll have to wait and read more reviews.

-- hide signature --
sabesh
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, Sep 16, 2013

Gary Waugh wrote:

The GX-7 must have a light AA filter because it exhibits moire in the concentric circles just below and to the left of center.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Gary, do you think that this will actually be an issue for prints? I don't pixel peep, so I'll be fine if I can't see it in print

-- hide signature --
knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,284
Like?

sabesh wrote:

Gary Waugh wrote:

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Gary, do you think that this will actually be an issue for prints? I don't pixel peep, so I'll be fine if I can't see it in print

-- hide signature --

There were numerous reports that the GX-7 had no AA filter, but I don't think I've seen anything definitive about it.  However, if you look at the GX-7 resolution chart shot on Image Resources it definitely looks like it has an AA filter.  There's very little visible aliasing in the grids where you typically see it with a light (or no) AA filter.  The difference is fairly striking when you compare the GX-7 resolution chart to the EM-1 chart (which is confirmed by Oly to not have an AA filter).

As for prints, it's hard to say with certainty that you'll never run into visible moire and related aliasing artifacting, but it's never been a personal problem for me with the several cameras I've owned over the years that had notably light AA filters (the Nikon D70 and the OMD EM-5).  A lot depends on your preferrend subject matter and how large you print.  If you shoot primarily landscapes/nature, you'll have no issue.  If you shoot a lot of man-made subjects like buildings and clothes, you might run into a problem on occasion.  Tools like Photoshop and Lightroom can repair some forms of moire.  Personally, I wouldn't let it determine your decision.

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?

sabesh wrote:

KTClown wrote:

Tough choice, doing the same but I'll add the M-5. I want to retire my old '06 Fuji and go M43, much lighter. I've held the M-5 and it's well built, the camera shop I was in didn't have the E-P5 and the GX-7 isn't due in the store till after Sept.

Or just flip a coin?

Thx, good points, all. I've been reading quite a bit and am confident that I can adjust saturation & contrast on the GX7 to obtain E-P5 like images. I'm looking into Dynamic range now. Tech radar's review isn't very flattering with regards to the GX7's DR. I'll have to wait and read more reviews.

-- hide signature --

I hope DPR does a review soon? Too much info is not a bad thing.

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,736Gear list
Like?

sabesh wrote:

Thx,

-- hide signature --

If EVF is not a factor, compare prices. IQ difference between to cameras is negligible, and depends on your preferences and tastes.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,878Gear list
Like?
In reply to SF Photo Gal, Sep 16, 2013

SF Photo Gal wrote:

I went with the GH3 for the handling: I love the larger grip and wealth of buttons, etc. Colors are fine with jpg -- better than with my GX1. Had the GX7 ordered but canceled it. May buy one after the review from DPR, or not.

My experience: I don't trust the comparisons on line when you get down to the subtleties. They don't agree with what I see after actually having the cameras in hand.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
HDcamfan
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 16, 2013

I have been convinced I am going to get the GX7. I have handled it and it feels great in the hand. I had thought about the EP5 but I wasn't keen on the handling. However as time goes on I am more and more considering te EP5. I will of course have to handle one again and see how bad it really was to hold (in my opinion) but if not terrible I am highly attracted to the 5 axis ibis. I just wish the bit rate was a bit higher for video but I am only a family video kind of guy so smooth over better quality but more jumpy is probably my choice.

So many decisions to make!!!

imashination
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?
In reply to HDcamfan, Sep 16, 2013

Im in the same boat but havent tried either camera. In general I tend to prefer the panny menus, handling and styling, but the 5 axis ibis is really putting me on the fence as to which way to go. I wish someone could do a direct comparison on how good the gx7 one works. Im a little disheartened that even panny themselves say that its not as good as the lens OIS. How good is OIS compared to 5 axis I wonder? that might put it in a rough ballpark.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads